Found Deceased CO - Suzanne Morphew, 49, did not return from bike ride, Chaffee County, 10 May 2020

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
The more I think about the possible personal item found, the more I think it's something trackable like a phone or apple watch because they found it fairly quickly when you consider they had to get information from a third party. Yes, they could have gotten lucky and found something like a shoe but I'm leaning toward her phone. MOO

While everyone here is waiting for the presser - there is a thread I watch that is another missing (in that case murdered) woman of around the same age as Suzanne. Less than a year ago. I have no idea if this is a TOS violation but that case is severely undersleuthed - and has some major disconnects. Similar demographics. Well-off. Seemed to be living her best life. I'd love to get some thoughts on it.

DE - Susan Ledyard, 50, found dead in river (suspected homicide), Wilmington, 23 July 2019

ETA - I mean sleuth on Susan's thread (not bring it into this one). It could really use some fresh eyes.

Last edited:
Not trying to sound like a dick, but why do I feel like they're promoting this G F M more than anything?

I've seen more emphasis on this than anything else. Able to put up 200k(albeit 100k came from friend) reward within 48 hours but need 50k g f m.
I haven’t read it, so i might be off base, but is it possible there are two factions of the family, one that has the $ and posted the reward, and the other one that wants to do searching and needs the money?

Understandably, CDOT road webcam for Monarch is currently offline.

The webcam for the Monarch Mountain is available at link below. This is the ski webcam -- not the road or search area but a good visual of the weather, terrain. While it may be warmer in Salida, it's currently 30F at Monarch.

Conditions - Monarch Mountain

Webcam for Salida:

Salida, Colorado, Web Cams

Why was it the neighbor who called?
Why was the husband out of town on Mother's Day?
Where does the nephew fit in? Does he live with them? Did she raise him?
She has 2 teenage daughters why didn't they call the police?

I didn't want to be the one that said it......but yeah, agree.
One thing I'm missing is that someone usually personalizes a missing person for the public.

She is instantly likable, given how photogenic she is and how family oriented and active seems to be, but I don't feel like I know her. Usually there is someone making sure the public gets attached to the missing person by sharing their hobbies, accomplishments, background, etc.

Just an observation. Slightly less urgent in this case, I suppose, as it does have so much coverage already.

jmo

I know I couldn’t outrun a mountain lion no matter how good of shape someone is. I still want to know was she seen going on bike ride? By who? I’m sure they are pinging all phones in that area. Data dump. I just wonder if she went on bike ride. Hope she’s found alive.

I don't think anyone can - they can run a mile faster than an Olympian. Or so I've been told.

I hope she's found alive, too. I can think of a few scenarios in which that could be the case.

I’ve been asking myself...In what situation would my neighbors know enough about my intended bike ride, that they would call 911 if I didn’t return shortly? I can’t think of any, and I’m close to my neighbors. Then I think, if they came upon my bike somewhere, would they be so quick to assume something was wrong? No. But then I remembered a time my daughter had an emergency at home. As I was running out of work, the first person I called was my neighbor. They were closest. They could get to her the quickest. So I have to wonder if she was out for a bike ride and felt uneasy about something... someone following her or passing her multiple times. She calls the neighbor to say, “hey can you drive down to where I’m riding. I’m feeling really worried about...”. So the neighbor hops in the car and drives to where she said she was riding and only finds her bike in the area. This would cause immediate alarm and explain how the bike was found and why a 911 call was made after only a short bike ride.

Listening to the sheriff in his previous statements to the press- my gut feeling is that he feels she is deceased in that area somewhere. He seemed very sure of himself when he said he did not feel that this was an attack by an animal.

His being vague about the bike- no description of the condition of the bike- was it found on the ground, was it mangled, as in being hit by a car, was it on a kickstand? The lack of description of Suzanne, the lack of fear for the public to be aware and cautious when out and about as some killer could be lose and looking for more victims, the lack of details and him not asking the public if they saw anyone in that area around that time that she went missing.

They mentioned that they found something else of Suzanne's, but I am curious if they found something of someone else, as well.

I also think there's much more that they aren't telling. The sheriff is focused in that area for a reason, and not the home. Or maybe something did happen at home and she was brought there deceased with her bike.

I’ve been asking myself...In what situation would my neighbors know enough about my intended bike ride, that they would call 911 if I didn’t return shortly? I can’t think of any, and I’m close to my neighbors.

What if your neighbors saw your bike along the road? Would that cause concern for them?

We don't know, afair, who found the bike and when. It's possible the neighbors found the bike and something about the bike made them call police.

speculation, jmo

I think we are overthinking this. The woman's bike was found, no woman. Someone took her. Her neighbor who's home is a ways away from hers, obviously was called by someone to check on her. I believe her husband. She's not home so LE was called. I don't consider her husband a suspect at all.

Is it just me, or does it seem a bit invasive to anyone else, digging into the family's real estate holdings? I mean, maybe it's important but maybe it's not, and since LE haven't said a word about it, I'm not even sure how it factors in, or if it does at all?

Just me?

The real estate holdings, including locations and values of both homes, have been reported in MSM.

What's reported in MSM can be discussed here.

The family's financial picture may or may not be relevant.

I think it's entirely possible that financial issues are directly related to SM's disappearance.

Others may disagree, and that's obviously okay…I'd actually prefer to be proven wrong in this instance.

JMO.

I agree... It just seems like one of those missing persons on a milk carton where its just a picture age and sex. Her husband and a Friend put up 100k each for info? Who is this friend? They have been here for 2 years is this a friend from their old town?

One thing I'm missing is that someone usually personalizes a missing person for the public.

She is instantly likable, given how photogenic she is and how family oriented and active seems to be, but I don't feel like I know her. Usually there is someone making sure the public gets attached to the missing person by sharing their hobbies, accomplishments, background, etc.

Just an observation. Slightly less urgent in this case, I suppose, as it does have so much coverage already.

jmo

Not trying to sound like a dick, but why do I feel like they're promoting this G F M more than anything?

I've seen more emphasis on this than anything else. Able to put up 200k(albeit 100k came from friend) reward within 48 hours but need 50k g f m.

I didn't want to be the one that said it......but yeah, agree.

I just read the description post at the GF. IMO, it sounds more like a campaign for a funded budget for the search and rescue of SM. Maybe their plan is to hire professional search teams, drones, etc.

If you listen to this morning's 9 NEWS audio interview with the nephew (linked below), it sounds like they're engaged in a private search--perhaps funded by the family GF.

In other words, it seems very specific --whether it proves to be or not is another question.

MOO

ETA: adding audio link

Search for missing Chaffee County woman focuses on area where personal item found

Last edited:
While everyone here is waiting for the presser - there is a thread I watch that is another missing (in that case murdered) woman of around the same age as Suzanne. Less than a year ago. I have no idea if this is a TOS violation but that case is severely undersleuthed - and has some major disconnects. Similar demographics. Well-off. Seemed to be living her best life. I'd love to get some thoughts on it.

DE - Susan Ledyard, 50, found dead in river (suspected homicide), Wilmington, 23 July 2019

ETA - I mean sleuth on Susan's thread (not bring it into this one). It could really use some fresh eyes.
OT response but yikes! I live in South Jersey right across the river from Wilmington, DE and I've not even heard of this case. Will check it out for sure.

ETA I do remember hearing about it. Still not solved though. Sad.

Last edited:

Attachments

• 58BCC030-8E1D-4CEC-8B42-8D239D2B0F06.jpeg
    58BCC030-8E1D-4CEC-8B42-8D239D2B0F06.jpeg
    160.6 KB · Views: 72
I’m still catching up so this may have already been mentioned.

Is it possible that the reason why it would make sense for the family to ask the neighbor to call 911 is that you want to notify the right LE group and that’s not going to happen if you call 911 in Denver about a missing person in Salida?
That's a good point. Also I think Suzanne's two daughters may have been in another state.

I'm thinking that the family members called the neighbor/friend after trying to reach Suzanne and being unsuccessful. They must have spoken to her early in the day since it was mother's day. Maybe Suzanne told them she was going for a bike ride and after several hours they became worried.

Maybe the neighbor went out in a vehicle to look for her and called the family before making the call. Maybe it was even the neighbor who found the bike. That might explain why nobody knew what she was wearing and why LE almost immediately began the search and investigation. It would also explain how the nephew knew the bike was found on Sunday.

Imo

Listening to the sheriff in his previous statements to the press- my gut feeling is that he feels she is deceased in that area somewhere. He seemed very sure of himself when he said he did not feel that this was an attack by an animal.

His being vague about the bike- no description of the condition of the bike- was it found on the ground, was it mangled, as in being hit by a car, was it on a kickstand? The lack of description of Suzanne, the lack of fear for the public to be aware and cautious when out and about as some killer could be lose and looking for more victims, the lack of details and him not asking the public if they saw anyone in that area around that time that she went missing.

They mentioned that they found something else of Suzanne's, but I am curious if they found something of someone else, as well.

I also think there's much more that they aren't telling. The sheriff is focused in that area for a reason, and not the home. Or maybe something did happen at home and she was brought there deceased with her bike.

I assumed they said it was not an animal because there would have evidence of an animal attack and her body would not have been far or there would have been a trail leading to where she would have been taken. It looks like they found her bike and a clean area. So she may have been taken by someone. She takes these rides all the time people know her path. We are all taking their neighbor's word about her actually leaving for that ride. Who knows maybe her bike was placed there.

I agree and think the same.

imo

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members