Connecticut school district on lockdown after shooting report at a Newtown elemen #6

Welcome to Websleuths!
Click to learn how to make a missing person's thread

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
I asked the same question. Argument isn't making sense to me. Were any of the doors locked. Maybe not enough time?? jdk
There aren't many teachers that are strict about locking their doors. Sorry, there just aren't - especially if they are on an indoor hallway with exit doors at either end of the hallway.

This was the beginning of the day. I keep my door locked - but have a "door wedge" that I use in the beginning to prop the door open so the kids can "trickle in". Once the bell rings, I kick out the wedge, the door shuts and its already locked from the outside.

So, maybe being that it was the beginning of the day and especially with the little ones - the regular teachers hadn't walked to the doors and locked them. I had heard that the intercom system being on was because it started right at the end of morning announcements........maybe that was the signal to now lock your doors. Being on inside hallways gives a false sense of security so there wasn't an urgency to lock that door.

JMHO

If anyone is interested (or wants to fact check me - lol) here's a link to an article about our board meeting and the security today:

http://www.local10.com/news/Broward...plan/-/1717324/17821232/-/mrvhch/-/index.html

ETA: originally posted wrong article - oops!

Wise, all I can do is shake my head! They won't even consider single point of entry. The staff needs to get together on safety and learn all there is to protect yourselves and students. It sounds like you are on your own. Bet parents are fuming!

well according to Jessie Lewis father Jessie was one of the six that fled the closet and was killed along with Soto and another teacher.. so, not sure what the story is, but I certainly initially had posted about what a hero Soto was and what a miracle it was that the 13 students of Soto's had all survived and I was hailed with "get your facts straight that's whats important is for the facts to be straight"..

to which I was posted link after link and post after post telling me 6 of Soto's students died when fleeing.. along with then reading the first hand account of one of those dead students father, Jesse Lewis father and how much the dad wished his son had not run with the other 5, but rather stayed behind in the closet with 7 that survived in Soto's class..

so are we saying that Jesse Lewis father has been told a completely false and incorrect account of how his son died?..cuz that i find a difficult pill to swallow..

out of all of the reports I believe the father whose son is one of the six that fled from Sotos' closet and was killed when fleeing and dad goes into detail about that choice his son made to run that resulted in him being killed.. I suppose its just me but I believe the father of one of six children killed when they ran from Soto's closet to be the one I'd believe over any other report floating around..jmo, tho.

Seems to me there were 2 groups of kids who ran. The parents of the one boy - they didn't want him named - were featured in a 48 hours special. I will link to it below. And yes, I recall reading that from Jesse's father as well. So I really do think there were 2 groups of kids. Well, three, I guess. :(

48 Hours: Newtown - 48 Hours - CBS News

I think both are correct. At least that is ow I've read things so far. 6 killed, 6 escaped and 7 found in the closet.

Hi everyone,

This is my first post, so please let me know if I am doing anything incorrectly. I've been following this online closely, and early on I was able to access a link from one of the early threads to a newsletter from Ms. Soto's class with pictures that the kids drew of themselves with their first names. From what I remember (Ms. Soto's classroom is no longer available at Teacher's Sites), there were 20 squares around the border of the page, but Ms. Soto and her assistant were included in the drawings, which would leave 18 squares, or 18 students. 7 were in the closet, 6 escaped, and 5 did not make it.

The other 15 students were from the other class, from my understanding. This would be 14/15 of the students shown in the class picture at:

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2249694/Sandy-Hook-shooting-The-tragic-school-picture-graders-gunned-Adam-Lanza.html

and Emilie (not shown in the class picture because she was not at school the day of the picture), but was killed. I cannot find the link, but my understanding is that it is the girl in the middle row, center, that was the sole survivor of this class.

I remember my carefree days at school, including my HS which was large in a suburb of Houston, approx 3,000 students and we had such freedom, no police, nothing....simply freedom...If we did something wrong, we paid the price...Makes me sad that children today will never enjoy such freedoms growing up and scares me..alot

There aren't many teachers that are strict about locking their doors. Sorry, there just aren't - especially if they are on an indoor hallway with exit doors at either end of the hallway.

This was the beginning of the day. I keep my door locked - but have a "door wedge" that I use in the beginning to prop the door open so the kids can "trickle in". Once the bell rings, I kick out the wedge, the door shuts and its already locked from the outside.

So, maybe being that it was the beginning of the day and especially with the little ones - the regular teachers hadn't walked to the doors and locked them. I had heard that the intercom system being on was because it started right at the end of morning announcements........maybe that was the signal to now lock your doors. Being on inside hallways gives a false sense of security so there wasn't an urgency to lock that door.

JMHO

I don't understand locking the doors from the outside. What would you do during a fire emergency?

as i said unfortunately the above is wrong..

http://www.courant.com/news/connect...ewtown-shooting-1216-20121215,0,5058106.story

again there is also Jesse Lewis(1 of the 6 who fled the closet in Sotos class and was killed)..his father goes into detail about the six fleeing the closet and being killed..unfortunately they all 6 were murdered because I too believed at one point they all lived and was devastated when I learned they'd not..

Do you think Mr. Rosen made up the story?

I don't understand locking the doors from the outside. What would you do during a fire emergency?
They only lock from the outside. They are never locked from the inside. You can ALWAYS get out of the room. But you can only get IN the room if the door handle is unlocked.

HTH

Hi everyone,

This is my first post, so please let me know if I am doing anything incorrectly. I've been following this online closely, and early on I was able to access a link from one of the early threads to a newsletter from Ms. Soto's class with pictures that the kids drew of themselves with their first names. From what I remember (Ms. Soto's classroom is no longer available at Teacher's Sites), there were 20 squares around the border of the page, but Ms. Soto and her assistant were included in the pictures, which would leave 18 squares, or 18 students. 7 were in the closet, 6 escaped, and 5 did not make it.

The other 15 students were from the other class, from my understanding. This would be 14/15 of the students shown in the class picture at:

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2249694/Sandy-Hook-shooting-The-tragic-school-picture-graders-gunned-Adam-Lanza.html

and Emilie (shown under the class picture), who was not at school that day. I cannot find the link, but my understanding is that it is the girl in the middle row, center, that was the sole survivor of this class.

No, Emilie is dead.
She was killed in that school.
"The family of 6-year-old Emilie Parker, who was killed in the Connecticut school shooting, has been humbled by "countless kind gestures, words and prayers" since the tragedy, her father said."

Source: http://www.nbcchicago.com/news/nati...autiful-Children-184000531.html#ixzz2FSreYwMk

Hi everyone,

This is my first post, so please let me know if I am doing anything incorrectly. I've been following this online closely, and early on I was able to access a link from one of the early threads to a newsletter from Ms. Soto's class with pictures that the kids drew of themselves with their first names. From what I remember (Ms. Soto's classroom is no longer available at Teacher's Sites), there were 20 squares around the border of the page, but Ms. Soto and her assistant were included in the pictures, which would leave 18 squares, or 18 students. 7 were in the closet, 6 escaped, and 5 did not make it.

and Emilie (shown under the class picture), who was not at school that day. I cannot find the link, but my understanding is that it is the girl in the middle row, center, that was the sole survivor of this class.

Welcome to WS! Sorry it is under such sad conditions. You could be right about the numbers. I guess I just wanted to make the point that one group of children being shot doesn't preclude another group getting away.

The father of the substitute teacher said it. Why would he make stuff up about this?? Why not read and then formulate an opinion?

My question is who would have told this to the father? Certainly not his daughter! And you don't think the school called and offered this information. Those classroom doors do not lock with a key from the inside; that is way out of fire code for a school.

ETA: I have since read the article and I think the reporter embellished his story or the father was given misinformation.

No, Emilie is dead.
She was killed in that school.
"The family of 6-year-old Emilie Parker, who was killed in the Connecticut school shooting, has been humbled by "countless kind gestures, words and prayers" since the tragedy, her father said."

Source: http://www.nbcchicago.com/news/nati...autiful-Children-184000531.html#ixzz2FSreYwMk

I apologize - please let me clarify. There were 15 students in the class picture, but 1 of them survived. So from the picture, there were 14 students. The 15th student would have been Emilie, who was not at school for the class picture, but was killed. Sorry for any confusion.

They only lock from the outside. They are never locked from the inside. You can ALWAYS get out of the room. But you can only get IN the room if the door handle is unlocked.

HTH

Then that gives teachers no ability to lock the door in case of a shooter inside school.

Like in hospitals when a fire alarm goes off! The doors automatically close and lock!

YES!!!:great:

Smooth, I did see that report too- about wishing his son hadn't chose to flee. I can

Honestly, I think it's so early that a lot of things are getting confused and jumbled. Parents are hearing their child's story, at least. I think it might be some time before we have enough of the picture for the pieces to start fitting together easily. I don't think any of us can definitively say.

Agreed!

Then that gives teachers no ability to lock the door in case of a shooter inside school.
If she locked the door in the AM when she gets there - its locked. From the outside - the handle is locked. From inside the room - the door is never locked. You can turn the handle and always get out. That is fire code.

My question is who would have told this to the father? Certainly not his daughter! And you don't think the school called and offered this information. Those classroom doors do not lock with a key from the inside; that is way out of fire code for a school.

ETA: I have since read the article and I think the reporter embellished his story or the father was given misinformation.

you lock the outside of the knob with the key and who is to say his daughter didn't mention it to him??

:waitasec: ok smooth help me understand here... They said their teacher Ms Soto was dead. Did they run before the others were put in the closet?

You can watch the videos news stories by going to www.youtube.com

Type in Mr Rosen's story on Conn shootings

or

Vickie Soto's story on the shootings

Hope this helps

I apologize - please let me clarify. There were 15 students in the class picture, but 1 of them survived. So from the picture, there were 14 students. The 15th student would have been Emilie, who was not at school for the class picture, but was killed. Sorry for any confusion.

So that means 15 students from that class were killed, which also means 5 students were killed in Ms. Soto's class. So 7 in closet, 5 killed and 6 run pas the gunman and made it out alive for 18 students total (In Ms. Soto's class)?

Hi everyone,

This is my first post, so please let me know if I am doing anything incorrectly. I've been following this online closely, and early on I was able to access a link from one of the early threads to a newsletter from Ms. Soto's class with pictures that the kids drew of themselves with their first names. From what I remember (Ms. Soto's classroom is no longer available at Teacher's Sites), there were 20 squares around the border of the page, but Ms. Soto and her assistant were included in the drawings, which would leave 18 squares, or 18 students. 7 were in the closet, 6 escaped, and 5 did not make it.

and Emilie (not shown in the class picture because she was not at school the day of the picture), but was killed. I cannot find the link, but my understanding is that it is the girl in the middle row, center, that was the sole survivor of this class.

:welcome6: Sunshine1221

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member