Connecticut school district on lockdown after shooting report at a Newtown elemen #6

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
If she locked the door in the AM when she gets there - its locked. From the outside - the handle is locked. From inside the room - the door is never locked. You can turn the handle and always get out. That is fire code.

I realize that might be fire code. But that still gives teachers no ability to lock the door if needed-if the teacher can not lock the door from the inside.

Do we have any official releases from LE as to what went on inside that school. I haven't seen any, so really we are just getting reports from what the terribly scared and traumatized children are saying or telling their parents. I am not saying what their accounts are aren't true, but I think we should wait for facts from investigators before all the negative reports start popping up. jmo

Yes it was quick because he had a semi automatic rifle. The police response was fast, at least.
Not sure what you mean by Helter Sketler or why you don't believe the father of the deceased teacher. respectfully.

Helter Skelter is a term from the days of Charles Manson and his followers. Helter Skelter = large massacre!

Wonder also what triggered "not seeing the brother and father" since 2010..(Per reports) IMO, and my little gut instinct, I dont see that being the father nor brother's deceision..Wonder if the mother provoked the non relationship with the others and AL (with his issues) went along...Given they had been seperated since 2001 per reports, it is odd relationship would change in 2010.. I have an opinion but will keep to myself to avoid backlash :) FYI, not blaming a victim at all

o/t I found out in 3rd grade my daughter was always finished with her work early.
Instead of allowing her to pursue her possible goals she was asked by her teacher to help the little " foreign " girl that could not speak English.

EXXXXcuse me but why is that my 8 yr old's problem? She is smart!
She is not a teacher or on the payroll...

Hello??? you are stunting her educational potential to further "Maria's"
goal????

YEP! I pulled my child out and she was home schooled!
Why was my daughter teaching anyone at 8!!!!!!!!!!

Actually, this is the reason that oldest sibling often has a slightly higher IQ. Learning is great, but teaching presents a new intelligence challenge that strengthens not only IQ and reasoning, but expressive language as well. It's far easier to know the answers, than to explain them.

It's a great form of enrichment, provides a community feeling between the student body, and exemplifies to the mentor how capable they truly are.

It's a wonderful, and it does help both students. It's also well researched. Look up Maria Montessori or Jean Piaget on Mixed-Age Classrooms.

So authorities really got no information from AL's father or brother that could help them. I am thinking silence to preserve dignity.

The first classroom that Lanza reached was that of teacher Kaitlin Roig. Alarmed by the gunfire, she had hidden her students in a bathroom and closed her classroom door. For reasons that could not be explained Saturday, Lanza passed by Roig's classroom.

The classroom he chose to enter was substitute teacher Lauren Rousseau's, where he proceeded to systematically shoot everyone inside — the 14 children who investigators believe were huddled and clutching one another in fear, Rousseau and a special education teacher who happened to be in the room. Rousseau was filling in for the regular teacher, who was out on maternity leave. Rousseau had been teaching at the school for six weeks.

well.. I believe we all now know exactly what the issue was that they COULD NOT EXPLAIN WHY THE SHOOTER FIRST WENT TO ROIGS CLASSROOM, BUT THEN WENT ONTO ROSSEAUS WHERE HE ENTERED AND BEGAN KILLING!..

that reason that they couldn't explain was the fact that Roig's classroom door was locked...therefor the gunman carried onto the next classroom, Rouseeau whose door quite obviously was NOT LOCKED DUE TO REASONS BEYOND HER CONTROL..

so, I see that they were quite literally skirting this issue of the locked door vs Rouseeau's unlocked door as to why he passed by Roig's classroom..obviously to not have to deal with the issue that since then Rousseau's father has let out of the bag, in that his daughter as substitute had not yet been given a key to be able to lock her door as Roig was able to do, thereby quite literally saving the lives of Roig and her students...

now the issue of Soto..why would she not have put her classroom on lock down?..she hid her students but didn't lock the classroom door?..do any have any ideas on why possibly she didn't?.. and to be clear I am in no way blaming her as she quite clearly gave her life for those kids as she hurled herself between them and the gunman as they were attempting to flee...but I do wonder about her door being not locked, and wonder why?
http://www.courant.com/news/connect...shooting-1216-20121215,0,5058106.story?page=1

If it was this simple why didn't the other Teachers just lock their doors? Wasn't Rousseau's classroom the last one the shooter entered? The room he killed himself in?

The other teachers did lock their doors. That's likely why there weren't more deaths.

As a single woman who has recently moved to the country but also a very isolated and wooded country, I will admit I have plans to buy a gun. Mainly because I have been told that LE response time to a 911 call can be as much as an hour if they come at all. And there are all kinds of varmits out her in the woods which is okay except for the belly sliders. One dog has already been bitten by a copperhead.

I feel now the urgency to go and buy one. I would never buy an AR, but I was looking at a Sig pistol. To blanket ban the sale of guns I think is unwarranted..If that happens then only the bad guys will have them because they are not going to obey the laws anyway. I have other feelings about hand guns but it is too soon to voice those so I won't do it. Just my thoughts on this highly volatile subject. jmo

Almost none of the mass murdering cowards in these recent cases were considered "bad guys" before they did what they did. Troubled, maybe, or isolated, but not criminals. I don't know of one who had a record. So that's one part of the argument that makes little sense to me - that only the bad guys would have such weapons if they were made illegal. The fact is, most of the cowards in these cases were not black market thugs who would even be capable of the savvy and subtlety (no praise meant to thugs) necessary to obtaining illegal weaponry off the street, or whatever. They are usually nerdy creeps who use what is easily accessible to them.

What a personality that photo shows. Daniel could have been cast as Denace the Menace!
:cry:

Jewel strands on a heavenly necklace. Each one more beautiful than the next. I really am struck by how singularly gorgeous these babies are.

Is it okay for me to post this?

It's a blog by Avielle's parents: Avielle's Adventures

http://www./blog/672028/avielles-adventures

Wow. They love their baby so much they had a whole blog about her. I cannot imagine what they must be suffering right now. So many families destroyed.

Those little boys and girls they burried today I can't even look at them. I honestly don't care what type of illness he had. This was planned. How sad :( I love my baby so much and pray for those affected!!!!

Thank you. I agree 100%. I don't give a darn. I've been clenching my jaw so hard since this happened (unbeknownst at first by me), that I'm in pain.

IMO, anyone who can plan such an event can realize it is wrong and decide not to do it.

Wonder also what triggered "not seeing the brother and father" since 2010..(Per reports) IMO, and my little gut instinct, I dont see that being the father nor brother's deceision..Wonder if the mother provoked the non relationship with the others and AL (with his issues) went along...Given they had been seperated since 2001 per reports, it is odd relationship would change in 2010.. I have an opinion but will keep to myself to avoid backlash :) FYI, not blaming a victim at all

http://www.businessinsider.com/adam-lanza-refused-to-see-his-dad-2012-12

I realize that might be fire code. But that still gives teachers no ability to lock the door if needed-if the teacher can not lock the door from the inside.
That's why policy is to ALWAYS have your door locked AT ALL TIMES. If you door is unlocked and there's a lockdown - then yes the teacher would have to go to the door, open it and reach around with the key to lock it. PITA!!!!! In the AM - I always put my key in, turn it, open the door, hold it with my foot, turn the key back to lock it and go inside. This way - NO ONE gets in - which is why I have a "greeter". If a messanger from another class or another teacher comes to the door - someone has to get up and let them in. That's just the way it is.

I do know that there are teachers who unlock their door in the AM and never re-lock it - at least until they leave for lunch, recess or specials. Some principals will walk the school and try door knobs - if yours is unlocked expect a call to the office after school that day!

JMHO

I had to consider the fact that NL was sole decision maker for AL's upbringing and this was ordered by a judge, was reason for the father not to be very involved. Sad to say, I believe it was NL's way or no way!

well according to Jessie Lewis father Jessie was one of the six that fled the closet and was killed along with Soto and another teacher.. so, not sure what the story is, but I certainly initially had posted about what a hero Soto was and what a miracle it was that the 13 students of Soto's had all survived and I was hailed with "get your facts straight that's whats important is for the facts to be straight"..

to which I was posted link after link and post after post telling me 6 of Soto's students died when fleeing.. along with then reading the first hand account of one of those dead students father, Jesse Lewis father and how much the dad wished his son had not run with the other 5, but rather stayed behind in the closet with 7 that survived in Soto's class..

so are we saying that Jesse Lewis father has been told a completely false and incorrect account of how his son died?..cuz that i find a difficult pill to swallow..

out of all of the reports I believe the father whose son is one of the six that fled from Sotos' closet and was killed when fleeing and dad goes into detail about that choice his son made to run that resulted in him being killed.. I suppose its just me but I believe the father of one of six children killed when they ran from Soto's closet to be the one I'd believe over any other report floating around..jmo, tho.

You believe the father of the dead child rather than the parents or rescuer of the live ones?

Someone told Jesse's father that story, maybe it was one of the surviving children.
It is a fact, confirmed by LE that 7 kids were found alive in the closet.
It is also a fact that either 5 or 6 kids escaped that room-confirmed by one of the children's parents
Sadly it is also a fact that 6 kids died in that room along with their teacher.
Logically it makes sense that Miss Soto tried to hide the kids in the closet, some of them including Jesse got scared and tried to run but didn't make it. 6 ran while the shooter was occupied with the others, they got lucky.

So that means 15 students from that class were killed, which also means 5 students were killed in Ms. Soto's class. So 7 in closet, 5 killed and 6 run pas the gunman and made it out alive for 18 students total (In Ms. Soto's class)?

That's what I think; I have no idea, however, what made the difference between the 5 who did not make it and the 6 that did.

My question is who would have told this to the father? Certainly not his daughter! And you don't think the school called and offered this information. Those classroom doors do not lock with a key from the inside; that is way out of fire code for a school.

ETA: I have since read the article and I think the reporter embellished his story or the father was given misinformation.

Each family is provided an LE liaison, I do believe they are being told about their child's last moments. Such as the mother who described her son being found wrapped in his aide's arms.

Thing is, with all the confused reporting- I think preliminary details and speculating have been intermingled. It may be some time before it all makes clear sense.

Our school doors lock from the inside with a key. Teachers have to keep the key handy to go on lock down at any minute. I do not know for sure if they still open from the inside or not, I didn't think to check the one time we went on lockdown while I was there.

How do you feel about allowing school workers to have an immediate acting pepper spray gun which shoots 23 feet? This would immediately disable or at least slow down a shooter for a short time.
http://the-gadgeteer.com/2009/09/21/pepper-spray-gun-kimber-lifeact-jpx-jet/

I am working on the theory they should be armed with something. I have not totally eliminated a weapon. If they are telling teachers, etc. to charge the perp they shouldn't expect them to do it with no protection or weapon. jmo

well.. I believe we all now know exactly what the issue was that they COULD NOT EXPLAIN WHY THE SHOOTER FIRST WENT TO ROIGS CLASSROOM, BUT THEN WENT ONTO ROSSEAUS WHERE HE ENTERED AND BEGAN KILLING!..

that reason that they couldn't explain was the fact that Roig's classroom door was locked...therefor the gunman carried onto the next classroom, Rouseeau whose door quite obviously was NOT LOCKED DUE TO REASONS BEYOND HER CONTROL..

so, I see that they were quite literally skirting this issue of the locked door vs Rouseeau's unlocked door as to why he passed by Roig's classroom..obviously to not have to deal with the issue that since then Rousseau's father has let out of the bag, in that his daughter as substitute had not yet been given a key to be able to lock her door as Roig was able to do, thereby quite literally saving the lives of Roig and her students...

now the issue of Soto..why would she not have put her classroom on lock down?..she hid her students but didn't lock the classroom door?..do any have any ideas on why possibly she didn't?.. and to be clear I am in no way blaming her as she quite clearly gave her life for those kids as she hurled herself between them and the gunman as they were attempting to flee...but I do wonder about her door being not locked, and wonder why?
http://www.courant.com/news/connect...shooting-1216-20121215,0,5058106.story?page=1

Exactly.

I only ever read that she had closed her door and was hiding the children when the killer busted in. Perhaps she thought the door was locked, or it was broken or didn't latch fully closed. We will probably never know.

How do you feel about allowing school workers to have an immediate acting pepper spray gun which shoots 23 feet? This would immediately disable or at least slow down a shooter for a short time.
http://the-gadgeteer.com/2009/09/21/pepper-spray-gun-kimber-lifeact-jpx-jet/
sssssssssshhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh...................................

I have one better - and I do this at home too!!!

I have a big can of wasp spray. Ya know - the stuff with the little nozzle you lift up and then push the button? That stuff will spray 12 feet - and with pretty good accuracy too! I have kept a can in my classroom for years. A can of wasp spray sitting on the counter behind my desk doesn't really attract any attention - no one has ever really even mentioned it. I keep one at home too. That stuff is really nasty poison and the added length in shooting is better.

sssshhhhhhh..................... it'll be our little secret :floorlaugh:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member