Coronavirus COVID-19 *Global Health Emergency* #11

Welcome to Websleuths!
Click to learn how to make a missing person's thread

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
Are our local state Governments obligated to tell us when governments obligated to tell us how many people have tested positive?
I think they should but do they have to do it in a timely manner?

if people who are not paying attention hear that there are several cases near them maybe they will pay better attention and take care of themselves more.

Unbelievable that so many health care people are getting sick. Obviously there a communication breakdown somewhere. Is everyone feeling too silly to put on a hazmat suit when dealing with people who think they have the virus? Is there a lack of hazmat suits?

Respectfully, I can assure you as a healthcare worker myself, no one feels silly putting on personal protective equipment. We're professionals and take our job very seriously. Health care personnel come into contact with sick patients on a regular basis. We are up close and personal with people all day and night. Sometimes exposure happens when no one knows that a patient is sick with COVID-19.
Obviously we would (and DO!) wear PPE when someone is symptomatic (all the time, mostly for the flu in the past). But what if they aren't symptomatic? Perhaps the patient presented 3 weeks ago with a stubbed toe? Do you need PPE to evaluate a stubbed toe? No. It would have been thought of as a waste of resources three weeks ago and it appears that the virus has been active in the U.S. for many weeks now. So those patients who came in with a stubbed toe could have been spreading the virus.
We don't want this virus anymore that anyone else does, but we're on the front line dealing with the ill. I would expect (unfortunately) our numbers would be higher than the general public.

Last edited by a moderator:
Wow...oh wow....read the full story....what a mess....so many children exposed as a group....

School administrator, returned Feb. 22 from trip to Italy w/38 students & chaperones
-she tested positive for #coronavirus.
-teenage girl on trip tested positive
-second adult chaperone sx
School closed a week. Students told avoid gathering in lg groups
A School Administrator Contracted Coronavirus on a Class Trip. A Week Later, Parents Found Out. COVID19 on Twitter

A School Administrator Contracted Coronavirus on a Class Trip. A Week Later, Parents Found Out.

My best friends daughter and grandchildren live around Seattle. We are both very nervous.

Yep, here we are feeling like sitting ducks.

Just got an email from the local Urgent Care chain connected to my health care insurance, and they are waiving (how generous) the usual $25.00 copay for a virtual visit. Can't say I blame them for not wanting a bunch people either clogging up the clinic, worried well, and people who are genuinely sick.

“The goal is to sanitize all of the MTA's 6,400 subway cars and 5,700 buses every three days — and every station on a nightly basis — until the virus is contained.”
How... how frequently were they sanitized before? #COVID19 Coronavirus forces New York City subways, trains to clean up their act
LOL! I don't know.

I was on the subways today for the first time since a case was diagnosed in Manhattan on Sunday. I noticed nothing different - though I did notice one woman wearing plastic gloves, which I've never seen on the subway before. The gloves were the thin transparent kind that you see fast-food workers wear. I also saw one 30-somehing non-Asian woman wearing a flimsy paper mask on the subway. On the streets of lower Manhattan, I saw one Asian woman wearing a paper mask and one teenage boy in a group of boys wearing a mask.

The biggest change I noticed was at the lunch meeting I attended - nobody shook hands, but bumped elbows instead. And, people had little sanitizers handy at the table. The virus was not a topic of conversation at all, except a little laugh about not shaking hands.

I went to three drug stores to buy sanitizer and/or rubbing alcohol....and found none. Then tried Staples....and found none. (Staples did have plenty of bottled water, though.)

I also was very conscious of what I touch with my hands. It's impossible not to touch things! It really drilled home to me that the best thing to do is break the habit of touching your face. That really is key, imo.

jmo

"The group's analysis showed that countries that had their first death within 30 days of its first reported case had a higher total case and death counts, higher case-fatality rate, and more average cases per day overall."
There's a great chart at the link comparing countries and how capable they are.

Coronavirus live updates: Outbreak spreads across the world - CNN

Are our local state Governments obligated to tell us when governments obligated to tell us how many people have tested positive?
I think they should but do they have to do it in a timely manner?

if people who are not paying attention hear that there are several cases near them maybe they will pay better attention and take care of themselves more.

Oregon is doing a nice job of reporting numbers- including numbers testing negative rather than just how many positive cases:

Oregon Health Authority : Emerging Respiratory Infections: COVID-19 : Diseases A to Z : State of Oregon

IMO.....every place that we see a positive case, there will be community spread because of the unbelievable slow response to the crisis. Every case so far has multiple days, even weeks before associations were made....

Wow...oh wow....read the full story....what a mess....so many children exposed as a group....

School administrator, returned Feb. 22 from trip to Italy w/38 students & chaperones
-she tested positive for #coronavirus.
-teenage girl on trip tested positive
-second adult chaperone sx
School closed a week. Students told avoid gathering in lg groups
A School Administrator Contracted Coronavirus on a Class Trip. A Week Later, Parents Found Out. COVID19 on Twitter

A School Administrator Contracted Coronavirus on a Class Trip. A Week Later, Parents Found Out.
Oh no! :(

Respectfully, I can assure you as a healthcare worker myself, no one feels silly putting on a personal protective equipment. We're professionals and take our job very seriously. Health care personnel come into contact with sick patients on a regular basis. We are up close and personal with people all day and night. Sometimes exposure happens when no one knows that a patient is sick with COVID-19.

Obviously we would (and DO!) wear PPE when someone is symptomatic (all the time, mostly for the flu in the past). But what if they aren't symptomatic? Perhaps the patient presented 3 weeks ago with a stubbed toe? Do you need PPE to evaluate a stubbed toe? No. It would have been thought of as a waste of resources three weeks ago and it appears that the virus has been active in the U.S. for many weeks now. So those patients who came in with a stubbed toe could have been spreading the virus.

This is why I am worried about going to the doctor this week, but I really can't skip the appointment.

There are fears an infected Sydney doctor may have spread the coronavirus to a large number of patients, after six more people tested positive in NSW overnight.

Forty staff members who work closely with the 53-year-old male doctor at Ryde Hospital have been isolated.

They include 13 doctors, 23 nurses and four other health workers. The infected doctor is in a stable condition at Westmead Hospital

However, authorities say the doctor had already come into contact with a “large and diverse” range of patients in his workplace.

“We still don’t know how he acquired the infection,’’ NSW chief health officer Kerry Chant said.
Six more coronavirus cases in NSW as authorities struggle to track virus victims

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Vingigi