Coronavirus COVID-19 - Global Health Pandemic #106

Welcome to Websleuths!
Click to learn how to make a missing person's thread

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
I can only speak as a restaurant owner. First of all, with Omicron, our sales are down 50%. People are scared. Totally get it. Me too.
Secondly, we are in California with many, many rules and regulations.
There is NO way I have a spare employee to police our (few) incoming customers to see if they're vaccinated or not.
I'm down to 50% of my normal staff as it is. I consider us fortunate to still have them! Other restaurants in our town are crumbling.
Never mind the whole of California. It's a bloodbath for small businesses.
I have no answers. I am just watching as Covid destroys lives, businesses and communities.
I think, our State will end up very wounded after this virus and the decisions those in charge mandated. Absolutely, just my opinion.

Turns out it depends on where in CA you are. We still have guidelines in place in Los Angeles County.
"Under the LA County public health order, fans ages 5 and over must provide proof of either COVID-19 vaccination or a negative COVID-19 test result taken within 48 hours of gameday, with a matching photo ID."
BUT:
The 49er's up in the Bay Area aren't requiring proof of vaccination but are requiring fans who are unvaccinated to wear a mask. How they are enforcing that??? Got me!

I can only speak as a restaurant owner. First of all, with Omicron, our sales are down 50%. People are scared got it.
Secondly, we are in California with many, many rules and regulations.
There is NO way I have a spare employee to police our (few) incoming customers to see if they're vaccinated or not.
I'm down to 50% of my normal staff as it is. I consider us fortunate to still have them! Other restaurants in our town are crumbling.
Never mind the whole of California. It's a bloodbath for small businesses.
I have no answers. I am just watching as Covid destroys lives, businesses and communities.
I think, our State will end up very wounded after this virus and the decisions those in charge mandated. Absolutely, just my opinion.

Turns out it depends on where in CA you are. We still have guidelines in place in Los Angeles County.
"Under the LA County public health order, fans ages 5 and over must provide proof of either COVID-19 vaccination or a negative COVID-19 test result taken within 48 hours of gameday, with a matching photo ID."
BUT:
The 49er's up in the Bay Area aren't requiring proof of vaccination but are requiring fans who are unvaccinated to wear a mask. How they are enforcing that??? Got me!

Djokovic loses deportation appeal, exits Australia

Buh-bye

@JaneEyre
I also wear 3 or 4 layered cloth masks with a filter and nose wire and adjustable ear loops, because they fit well and I can tolerate them.
But recently I've worn them over a KN95.

The wake I had to attend for my sister's sister-in-law was the only time since Covid started that I was indoors with a crowd of people, hugging.

The funeral home required masks and everyone wore them correctly, but still...
I absolutely wear KN95s in certain situations like airports, funerals, and when I'm teaching a group. But I added a second type of filter back to my cloth masks today for my every day use. I had stopped using double filters at some point after I was vaccinated, but I'm back to it now.

Ha! My doughnut is a Krispy Kreme!

To stay on topic here is an article:

Did we really gain weight during the pandemic? - Harvard Health

As it turns out, 39% of patients gained weight during the pandemic, with weight gain defined as above the normal fluctuation of 2.5 pounds. Approximately 27% gained less than 12.5 pounds and about 10% gained more than 12.5 pounds, with 2% gaining over 27.5 pounds.

My husband has lost about 65 pounds in the last two years. (He was a pretty big guy). Probably because he no longer hangs out with his friends, eating breakfast out. Or going out to dinner. The poor guy has had to eat at home.

Watch: Cowboys, Niners fans stampede into stadium for standing-room section — USA TODAY

“For a typical game, the Dallas Cowboys' home at AT&T Stadium can hold around 80,000 people. But for big games, the capacity can expand to 100,000 with its extensive standing room only area," explained Andrew Joseph of For the Win.”

Watch the stampede on the video....wow.

I can’t imagine standing in one place in an extremely crowded scenario for six hours with Omicron circulating like it is.
Crazy fans.

The good news is that SF won. Yay, go niners.

Two years into the pandemic, five Connecticut survivors tell of beating COVID-19

‘Not the cruise I signed up for’: 30-fold increase in Covid cases upends industry

4000.jpg

The problems have come just six months after the cruise industry opened in June.

Last edited:
I absolutely wear KN95s in certain situations like airports, funerals, and when I'm teaching a group. But I added a second type of filter back to my cloth masks today for my every day use. I had stopped using double filters at some point after I was vaccinated, but I'm back to it now.
Before I was vaccinated I bought and used some KF94 masks. After I was vaccinated I figured the more comfortable surgical masks were fine.

I bought some Honeywell N95's after Omicron hit and I find their tight fit to be uncomfortable but at the same time reassuring.

Humiliated Novak Djokovic and his entourage lands in Serbia after being deported from Australia | Daily Mail Online

Humiliated Novak Djokovic has landed back in Serbia to a hero's welcome after being deported from Australia ahead of the Australian Grand Slam starting today.

The defeated tennis star was booted out of Melbourne after the Australian government cancelled his visa for the second time following a legal battle - and banned him from entering the country for another three years.

He now faces being ousted from the French Open after politicians voted in a law banning all unvaccinated people from entering sports areas.

A mask-wearing Djokovic, 34, took selfies with staff and fans after touching down in the Serbian capital Belgrade on a flight from Dubai after his name was taped over on the official Australian Open draw.

Fans gathered outside Belgrade's Nikola Tesla airport on Monday morning chanting 'You are our champion, Novak!' as the tennis star touched down.

Supporters held a banner reading 'Novak, God bless you', and waved Serbian flags as the tennis star received a hero's welcome in his home city.

Djokovic left Australia late on Sunday night after 11 days of remarkable legal wrangling saw the tennis champion finally exhaust his options.

Cost of masks and tests deepens a pandemic wedge between the haves and the have-nots (nbcnews.com)

For some, the added financial burden of N95 masks and rapid tests is an irritation but still affordable. To others, it is an economic impossibility.

In recent weeks, as the omicron variant spread rapidly across the United States, Americans have found that the financial costs of the pandemic are increasingly falling on their shoulders.

As Covid-19 cases have climbed, public health experts have urged people to dump their cloth masks in favor of higher-quality options and to test more frequently to curb the virus.

The Centers for Disease Control and Prevention on Friday updated its mask guidance to note that the disposable N95 or KN95 masks offer the "highest level of protection" against the virus...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
reneej08