Coronavirus COVID-19 *Global Health Pandemic* #19

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
Someone in the last thread asked for positives that could result from coronavirus...

Anti-vaxxers will hopefully get a wake up call.
Something I consider to be a positive is the number of businesses that are starting to allow paid sick leave for employees. Some of these companies had not provided such before this crisis. IMO, if they can offer it at the current time, they may find it to be a permanent positive and continue the policy.

Last edited:
Last edited:
New York governor: "Like it or not, we’re going to have to make some tough decisions"

New York Gov. Andrew Cuomo said he will ask the state's business leaders to reduce workplace density during the coronavirus outbreak. Possible tactics include running two shifts of workers and letting workers who can work from home to do so.

He said in a city like New York City, “there’s no such thing as social distancing, you’re always within six feet of a person.”

“We really need to take more aggressive actions. This is not going away on its own," he added. “Like it or not, we’re going to have to make some tough decisions, and we’re going to have to start to act united to reduce the density, more testing more testing more testing that’s the only way to reduce the spread.”

“We don’t want to overreact but we understand we have to take aggressive actions and we’re looking at all those large gatherings today and I will have an announcement either later today or tomorrow.”

Cuomo said the state cases as of this morning are at 193 — but added, “we’re going to get another tranche of numbers in the next couple of hours.”

“We test around-the-clock now so the number constantly adjusts, but it is constantly going up and that shouldn’t give people alarm," he said.

Cuomo said he anticipates the number of cases will keep going up for weeks, and warned that the virus is “much more advanced than we are seeing in any of these numbers.”

Live updates: Coronavirus cases pass 115,000 worldwide - CNN

Prepare for 2,000 cases in the next 6 days....doubling effect. Then 4,000 cases in the 2nd week....
Jan. 28 — 5
Feb. 4 — 11
Feb. 11 — 14
Feb. 18 — 25
Feb. 25 — 59
Mar. 3 — 125
Mar. 10 — 1,004
U.S. Coronavirus Cases Surpass 1,000: Full Map

Wow. I had seen the doubling estimate before but when you see the counts from the past weeks, it really is about double each week. That is a large rate of increased confirmed infections in a short amount of time.

How to tell the difference between the symptoms of coronavirus, allergies and the flu - CNN

200310150158-20200310-coronavirus-symptoms-chart-super-169.jpg

UNG's Spring Break starts the 20th. U of Georgia is on Spring Break now, the 9th - 13th

Give it another day or two, they will at least extend UG's Spring Break 2 weeks. It appears that some colleges and universities are doing that, with the idea if one of the students/staff/faculty gets the virus during Spring Break, they would be showing symptoms within the following 2 weeks. At least that's how I believe the universities are thinking when they extend spring break "another 2 weeks".

As for UNG and their spring break starting the 20th, I would assume they'll hear something either this week or next, either cancelling and going online or extending their spring break another 2 weeks.

WHO Daily Press Conference oh, well it's Monday Wednesday Friday now, will be at noon today. When it becomes live I will post a link. Just in case folks come around here asking at 10 a.m., it will not be in till noon Eastern today.

Coronavirus is "almost a perfect killing machine" for elderly patients, US nursing home association head says

Relatives and friends should not visit patients in nursing and assisted living centers as the coronavirus outbreak continues to spread, the head of the United States' largest association of long-term and post-acute care providers said.

"We are encouraging all people, including family members and loved ones, to not visit nursing homes and assisted living facilities," American Health Care Association President Mark Parkinson said.

"Until we get this under control, our new guidance, as of today, is to family members, to loved ones: Don't visit the facilities; instead, come up with an alternate way to communicate," he said, including phone, text, FaceTime or Snapchat.

Live updates: Coronavirus cases pass 115,000 worldwide - CNN

Updated information about the two confirmed cases of COVID-19 in Michigan. Media reports yesterday erroneously stated that the two people were from Oakland and Washtenaw counties, but they are actually from Oakland and Wayne counties. I don't understand why Governor Whitmer considers two cases to be a state of emergency :rolleyes: I'm afraid this will incite undue fear and panic.

First 2 cases of coronavirus confirmed in Michigan: What we know, don’t know

Michigan coronavirus cases confirmed in Oakland, Wayne counties
Reasons for state of emergency to be declared by states.

What 'state of emergency' means for coronavirus - CNNPolitics

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member