Coronavirus COVID-19 *Global Health Pandemic* #19

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
Yes, ITA with you, and 28.5% of students receive reduced or free lunch. That makes me sad. A lot of kids may not receive proper nutrition, especially if left up to themselves because parents must work. :(

Gosh. You are so right. I think I saw that concern mentioned a couple days ago and that is a very real concern. I had friends in school many years ago in that situation. I used to give my friend half of my lunch because he was genuinely that hungry each day after he ate his own lunch.

When cities do this, I wish they would have a list of the "in need" folks and take advance steps to deliver a lunch meal to those families. I hope someone is addressing this concern with any school through 12th grade who decides to close.

I saw good news yesterday about a university keeping their cafeteria open even though they are going to Online classes because they have an international student body and some cant just go home.

Last edited:
Indeed.

There is something called “social responsibility” (and personal responsibility) that needs to be emphasized. It’s going to take a village, and as we’ve said before is going to take “Wuhan” for some people to wake up and smell the coffee, unfortunately.
Since we backed out of the competition, we will lose all the money we paid at registration (including hotel fees, etc). I'm sure the school will do their best to get money back if possible, but I hope that other parents are not criticizing the administrators for this decision. I'm sure that there are some who are, though. I don't have spare money to lose either, but I'll take losing a few hundred dollars over risking my child's health any day.

They had a high fever over the weekend and just developed a horrible cough. Their doctor assures them they do not need to come in to be seen nor to be tested.

How long has it been since she attended the conference (last weekend?) & how quickly after the conference did she get a fever? Afaik there is always an incubation period, do one will not experience symptoms immediately if they are in a room with a carrier.
Did you speak with your boss about your concerns? I certainly would.
Good luck.

How long has it been since she attended the conference (last weekend?) & how quickly after the conference did she get a fever? Afaik there is always an incubation period, do one will not experience symptoms immediately if they are in a room with a carrier.
Good luck.

Coworker had a fever as of Monday. Was at the conference through the weekend, so I believe she developed it while there.

I would like to discuss restaurants. Are y’all eating out more or less? I find most establishments unsanitary & a lot of the staff to look less than hygienic. Therefore, dining out has never been a huge event for me. Also, I read restaurant inspection reports & store the info in my head. So many restaurants get cited for not having hot water for the dishwasher, rodent droppings on dish racks, etc., I just can’t get psyched about restaurants. Now I think about the filthy menus, we already know menus are not sanitized each time they are passed out.
For the last 3 years a group I horseback ride with get together once or twice weekly for potlucks. We always do steaks, putting the show on at a different house each time.
I will continue to eat with my group, we all know if we are sick to stay home.
I vote NO!! I'm not eating out and I'm lightly spraying groceries w lysol!

CT has 3rd COVID case - looks to be community spread which is quite concerning IMO:

Third Connecticut resident tests positive for COVID-19 with no known exposure to coronavirus

Quotes from article:

A third Connecticut resident has tested positive for COVID-19, state officials said Wednesday, an elderly man from New Canaan who is the first to contract the disease with no known exposure to the coronavirus.

Dr. Matthew Cartter, the state epidemiologist, said the individual, who lives at home, was the first community-acquired case of COVID-19 in the state. Previous cases appear to have stemmed from interactions with others outside Connecticut. He was being treated at Norwalk Hospital.

“It is only a matter of time before we have widespread community transmission throughout the state of Connecticut," Cartter said in an afternoon briefing.

Cartter said state residents will die from the virus, but how many is not clear.

“What we are going through is incredibly difficult,” he said. “We have not seen a pandemic like this in 100 years.”

The state has tested 74 cases so far and there are 16 cases that are still awaiting testing, Cartter said. The lab is running seven days a week with two shifts. They plan to increase that next week to three shifts when two more people get certified to test samples. In addition to the three Connecticut residents who have tested positive for COVID-19, two New York residents who work at hospitals in Connecticut have also tested positive.

“If you have a fever and a cough and you are in the southwestern part of the state, you should assume that you have COVID-19,” Cartter said. “You don’t need a test to tell you that’s what you have, you should assume that’s the illness you have. Most people will get better at home, especially the younger you are. You should talk to your physician.”

Josh Geballe, the state’s chief operating officer, said Connecticut will be receiving $7.1 million from the recent $8.3 billion federal appropriation approved to address coronavirus.

Cartter said the virus could hit in one or more waves with a spring wave of 6 to 8 weeks.

“This may well occur where we’re dealing with a wave now and a wave later," he said. "Right now our focus is to mitigate the first wave and slow it down. we don’t want everyone to get sick all at once.”

On the second day of a state of emergency declared by Gov. Ned Lamont, schools, businesses and organizations across Connecticut continued to curtail operations, from sending students and employees home to cancelling meetings and events.

Also Wednesday:

• The General Assembly was poised to approve $5 million in additional funding to respond to the outbreak of COVID-19, the disease caused by the coronavirus, while the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention announced it would send the state about $7 million to support response efforts.
  • More local colleges, including Wesleyan University, Trinity College, Central Connecticut State University, Southern Connecticut State University and Western Connecticut State University, announced they will shift all classes online through at least early April. Quinnipiac University, Yale University and the University of New Haven have taken similar steps in recent days.
  • The University of Hartford announced that four students are self-isolated after attending a conference where several attendees have since tested positive for the virus. The school has not yet moved to online classes but has told students to take all essentials home for spring break in case they are not able to return to campus.
  • The town of Westport announced it will close all schools after students and parents were exposed to someone presumed to have the coronavirus.

Good luck.

I've read that it's typically 2-5 days between contamination and first symptoms. 14 days is also possible.

I would like to discuss restaurants. Are y’all eating out more or less? I find most establishments unsanitary & a lot of the staff to look less than hygienic. Therefore, dining out has never been a huge event for me. Also, I read restaurant inspection reports & store the info in my head. So many restaurants get cited for not having hot water for the dishwasher, rodent droppings on dish racks, etc., I just can’t get psyched about restaurants. Now I think about the filthy menus, we already know menus are not sanitized each time they are passed out.
For the last 3 years a group I horseback ride with get together once or twice weekly for potlucks. We always do steaks, putting the show on at a different house each time.
I will continue to eat with my group, we all know if we are sick to stay home.

How does a person look less than hygienic? I'd be careful with making judgements like that. jmo

Coworker had a fever as of Monday. Was at the conference through the weekend, so I believe she developed it while there.

Thanks, I bet she does not meet the criteria for testing, perhaps in a few days she will. Iirc the average incubation is 5 days, I read one case was 27 days. But, who really knows?
Speak with your boss.

LEXINGTON, Ky. (WTVQ) – In Fayette County, health officials said they’ve seen an increase of flu cases from last week.

According to the Lexington-Fayette County Health Department, the total number of confirmed flu cases is 591 which is an increase of 78 from the previous week.
Health officials: Increase in flu cases in Fayette County - ABC 36 News

too much stuff going around, period!

Iran’s senior vice president and two other cabinet members have contracted the new coronavirus, a semiofficial news agency reported Wednesday as the death toll in the Islamic Republic from the outbreak rose by 62 to 354.

The report by the Fars news agency, believed to be close to Iran’s paramilitary Revolutionary Guard, comes as President Hassan Rouhani took control of the country’s much-criticized response to the virus and the COVID-19 illness it causes.

Authorities announced that there were some 9,000 confirmed cases of the virus across Iran.
Iran’s VP, cabinet members have virus

Just got an email from (UCF) University of Central Florida. In part it says:

"UCF will move to remote instruction effective Monday, March 16, to minimize health and safety risks to the UCF community, especially as students and faculty prepare to return from Spring Break.

Remote instruction will continue for at least two weeks. Because courses are being moved online, students should not come back to campus for the next two weeks. Fourteen days is the period in which secondary transmission to others is thought to be highest, and UCF advises against any additional travel during this time."

Lots of other extraneous information regarding logistics, etc.

Found link: UCF Moving to Remote Instruction March 16 | Safety

Last edited:
Canadian cruise ship passenger tests positive for COVID-19
''A Canadian under quarantine at an Ontario military base after leaving a contaminated cruise ship in California has tested positive for COVID-19.

The Public Health Agency of Canada isn’t revealing any details about the patient’s identity.

The person seemed healthy upon leaving the Grand Princess ship in California but was found to have a mild fever and a cough in an assessment at CFB Trenton.

He or she is in isolation at the base, where hundreds of other Canadians repatriated from the cruise are also staying.

Meanwhile Health officials in Quebec say the province is now up to seven confirmed cases of COVID-19.

Authorities said in a tweet late Tuesday a presumptive case involving a cruise ship passenger has been confirmed.

Two other new confirmed cases involve a passenger returning from Miami and the Caribbean who is hospitalized at the Jewish General Hospital in Montreal and someone returning from the Dominican Republic who is in self-isolation.''

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
TreeofLife