Coronavirus - COVID-19 - Global Health Pandemic #22

Welcome to Websleuths!
Click to learn how to make a missing person's thread

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
Just heard from a relative in San Francisco, who lives next door to an ER doctor. His hospital is overwhelmed. Not enough respirators, no negative pressure rooms available.

I fear the big push this week to shut down everything may have been a week too late.
This is a HUGE concern across the nation.
This is just a small peek into what is to come.
Hope I am wrong.
Not enough ICU rooms.
Not enough ventilators.
Scary.
MOO.

We live in the boonies, in northern Illinois.

Our local grocery store today: the bleach cleaning products, Lysol, rubbing alcohol, TP, are GONE.

Hand sanitizer was gone last week.

A lot more people shopping than usual and carts were full.

Don’t know if this is allowed (if not, please delete),but an ad popped up on another page for DHgate, selling masks. I’ve ordered things from there before and the fastest shipping is by DHL. Hope this helps someone out there.

This video made me incredibly sad....

Music teacher Alessandro Leo performs on a balcony in Italy,
where more than 17,660 people have been infected by the coronavirus. Many who are in quarantined areas have tried to keep up morale by singing and eating on their balconies as a community. Coronavirus live updates: Trump declares national emergency, US deaths rise to 47 ABC News on Twitter

ABC News on Twitter
Reminds me of one of my favorite songs, TranSiberian Orchestra Christmas Eve/Sarajevo. Vedran Smailovic, cello player in Sarajevo, who climbed upon the rubble of the city fountain and played Mozark while the city was being bombed. He said that it was his way of proving that despite all evidence to the contrary, the spirit of humanity was still alive in that place. Very touching.

Who Is Vedran Smailovic?

MOO

I'm really getting worried about elderly people who don't have the ability, whether it is physical or financial, to get supplies that they need. I don't personally know of anyone in my area that falls into that category, but I keep envisioning them, scared and alone, in their homes with no one to help them. How do we find these people if we don't know they are there?? I would be more than willing to help if I just knew who needed it.
Contact a social worker at the local hospital would be my first guess. Local churches would have shut ins that they visit. Perhaps they can be a good connection.

Comcast announced it will offer free internet service to low-income families that are in coverage areas that Comcast operates in.

We know that for millions of low-income Americans who don’t have Internet service at home, this uncertain time is going to be even more difficult to manage. As schools and businesses close and families are encouraged, or even mandated, to stay home, Internet connectivity becomes even more important,” the company said in a news release.

Comcast to provide 60 days of free internet for low-income families over coronavirus

I'm really getting worried about elderly people who don't have the ability, whether it is physical or financial, to get supplies that they need. I don't personally know of anyone in my area that falls into that category, but I keep envisioning them, scared and alone, in their homes with no one to help them. How do we find these people if we don't know they are there?? I would be more than willing to help if I just knew who needed it.

Give your local Senior Center a call. They get to know their seniors pretty well. They know who doesn't have family or the resources that they need. Wonderful of you to care and be willing to help. Most of the seniors would never ask for help but will accept if offered.

If you are in an area where COVID-19 is, I would speak to infection control doc and remind them that there have been dual infections of flu/COVID. I would think that most health depts. would stop at getting flu diagnosis. But David Abel had both, as did some others in China. Just saying in case you live in a place that is known to have COVID-19 already to test also for such, as MOST health departments will not test for both if flu is positive MOO

Sending positive thoughts of healing for your granddaughter and good health for you all

@MsJosie , I totally agree with @dixiegirl1035 on this point! Have them pursue the additional testing.

CONNECTICUT

This would be a HUGE boon to the testing capacity issue in #NewHaven and #Connecticut. #COVID19 @cpgYALE @Ted_Melnick
Kudos to Dr. Landry @Yalemed @ynhh
YNHH replicates the COVID-19 test; hopes to use it on 200 samples a day via @nhregister
(((Howard Forman))) on Twitter

NEW HAVEN - Yale New Haven Hospital has been able to replicate the COVID-19 test and expects to be able to put it into play as early as today or Monday, a tool they hope will be able to screen some 200 samples a day.

The hospital at a press conference Friday said Dr. Marie-Louise Landry, who heads the hospital’s clinical virology department, has been working for months on the problem of limited test kits available from the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention.

PRESIDENT OF FRANCE

"Following my call with @realDonaldTrump and all G7 leaders, we agreed to organize an extraordinary Leaders Summit by videoconference on Monday on Covid-19. We will coordinate research efforts on a vaccine and treatments, and work on an economic and financial response."
Emmanuel Macron on Twitter

Glad to hear this.

COLORADO....I'm concerned for Denver....2 cases exported from Denver to Iceland.

CDPHE has confirmed 23 new presumptive positive cases in CO, based on overnight test results. Some of these results are from the drive-through testing center. That brings the total number of presumptive positive cases to date to 72.
CDPHE confirms 23 additional new presumptive positive cases in Colorado #COVID19colorado Colorado Department of Public Health & Environment on Twitter
Colorado Department of Public Health & Environment on Twitter

My sister the RN just FaceTime me from Costco in Maui. Everyone had on masks and gloves. No TP or paper towels, and massive lines. She's a prepper, has a room full at home and could open a small store.

She said, her hospital has security at the entrance and everyone's temp is checked prior to entering the parking lot. 100.4 is the magic number, if you are below, good to go. The nursing homes close to visitors Monday.

Her son in law is head of a very large ER in Florida. Its mass confusion at ERs, hysterical patients demanding test, lack of supplies, some nurses with kids are quitting due to possible exposure, everyone is already tired and worn out and tne battle just started. He and my niece are MAJOR peppers, they have organized their neighborhood of retired folks, take care of them during hurricanes, checks on them daily and now this. My niece has been cooking and vacuum sealing meals for weeks for her neighbors. They are all limiting visitors and trying to prepare them for 3 months. My niece could live a year or more without going to a store, I'm sure.

Coronavirus: Mass gatherings to be banned under government plans to combat COVID-19 spread

The UK government is planning to introduce emergency laws next week to ban mass gatherings in an attempt to curb the spread of coronavirus.

So far, ministers have resisted such a move even though some major sporting events including the London Marathon and all Premier League matches have already been postponed.

And Ireland is to close all schools and childcare facilities and other public spaces like museums, while Scotland has banned gatherings of more than 500 people.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Kimmyann4141