Welcome to Websleuths!
Click to learn how to make a missing person's thread

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
CALIFORNIA

Officials reporting three new cases of coronavirus in San Diego. That brings our total to 8, one of those people is from the quarantine at MCAS Miramar. Health officials are expecting more cases- it may take time to see restrictions on large events, etc. lowering case totals here

38 cases pending results....

Matt Hoffman on Twitter

Local Situation

Reposting, as I think this helps with perspective:
Novel coronavirus (COVID-19) – everything you need to know, in language you can understand

How is it possible to have a new virus that no one has had before?
Viruses are microscopic organisms that can enter a living host (like you) to live and multiply. Think of them like an unwanted guest that shows up unannounced, moves into your house, eats out of your fridge and begins to reproduce.

When a new virus makes its way into your body, your immune system realises that it’s not part of your normal bodily system, attacks it and tries to kill it. After that, it remembers the virus, so it can get rid of it straight away if it ever comes knocking again.

Just like any living creature, viruses change themselves to survive in their environment. Over time, they change in ways that makes it hard for our immune systems to recognise them. That’s how we end up with new versions of viruses, like this new version of coronavirus. Imagine your unwanted houseguest has come back, but with a wig and new glasses. Your immune system doesn’t recognise it, so it gets in the front door before your immune system realises it should fight it off.

What are the symptoms of novel coronavirus?
When you have a virus, it’s not actually the virus that makes you sick, but your immune system’s efforts to get rid of it. For example, your immune system can raise your body temperature and give you a fever, to make it hot enough to kill a virus. All the hard work your immune system is doing can also use up energy and make you feel tired.

People are missing the point of testing. The point of testing is to quarantine the people who test positive and allow the people who test negative to help other people & sustain basic societal functions. You need to test your doctors and nurses and receptionists and nursing home workers and people who are coming into contact with the public so they are not VECTORS for spreading the virus to people who are vulnerable.

It may be “just the sniffles” to you even though this disease causes permanent lung damage in young people but it’s a death sentence to the elderly and vulnerable.

I wish people would get the #%^* over their privileged comfort and care for one second about the more vulnerable people among us.

I think if someone's in a higher risk group, or they regularly visit someone in a higher risk group, and *if* the body holds immunity to the virus for some time (a year or so at least) then if someone knows for sure they have had it, maybe they can worry less about going out or visiting their relative if they're not going to come down with it now (as they've already had it) and once recovered they're a safer person to visit the relative or they could be the person who takes food and water into the room of a person in their household who gets it in a few weeks or months?

That's the main reason I think it might be helpful to know for sure who's had it and who hasn't.
Of course it would be useful to know who has had it !!!!!!!

I'm really getting worried about elderly people who don't have the ability, whether it is physical or financial, to get supplies that they need. I don't personally know of anyone in my area that falls into that category, but I keep envisioning them, scared and alone, in their homes with no one to help them. How do we find these people if we don't know they are there?? I would be more than willing to help if I just knew who needed it.

I've been thinking the same thing.

People are missing the point of testing. The point of testing is to quarantine the people who test positive and allow the people who test negative to help other people & sustain basic societal functions. You need to test your doctors and nurses and receptionists and nursing home workers and people who are coming into contact with the public so they are not VECTORS for spreading the virus to people who are vulnerable.

It may be “just the sniffles” to you even though this disease causes permanent lung damage in young people but it’s a death sentence to the elderly and vulnerable.

I wish people would get the #%^* over their privileged comfort and care for one second about the more vulnerable people among us.

I bet a lot of hospitals are testing certain nurses & doctors.
But again, if negative, they still risk contracting it.
I could test negative for the flu today but grace it tomorrow.
I’d like to see people practice social distancing, stay home, watch a movie, play with your kids, walk your dog, clean closets. I don’t see the general population doing so.
A friend just texted me a pic from a popular chain sports bar & they are packed. No social distancing going on.

Well, "jam his phone line", "blitz his email" worked out well for our state.

VA GOVERNOR Northam CLOSES SCHOOLS !!!

Governor Northam orders all Virginia K-12 schools closed for minimum of two weeks

Schools will close from Monday, March 16, through Friday, March 27, at a minimum. Localities will maintain authority over specific staffing decisions to ensure students maintain continuity of services or learning, while protecting the public health of teachers and staff.

For those that have contacted state and/or Congressional Representatives, keep it up!!!

Moo

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member