Coronavirus COVID-19 - Global Health Pandemic #31

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
https://nypost.com/2020/03/20/coron...ilet-paper-alternatives-cause-sewer-problems/

Some desperate California residents resorted to using shredded T-shirts in the absence of toilet paper during the coronavirus crisis – but ended up wiping out a sewer line.

Wastewater management officials in Redding said workers had to take swift action to prevent a dangerous spill after the soiled fabric caused a backup.

https://nypost.com/2020/03/20/coron...ilet-paper-alternatives-cause-sewer-problems/

Some desperate California residents resorted to using shredded T-shirts in the absence of toilet paper during the coronavirus crisis – but ended up wiping out a sewer line.

Wastewater management officials in Redding said workers had to take swift action to prevent a dangerous spill after the soiled fabric caused a backup.

Dolts

COMPANIES HIRING

Walmart, the largest private employer in the United States, has announced it will hire 150,000 workers from now until the end of May. Those hired will work in stores, distribution centers, clubs and fulfillment centers, Walmart said Thursday.

7-Eleven, the country’s largest convenience store chain, announced Friday it will hire 20,000 new workers for in-store roles, many of whom will work to meet what the company calls a “surge” in mobile orders.

Petra Industries
On March 20, Petra announced plans to hire at least 50 new full-time positions over the next couple weeks. These new jobs will help Petra meet the rising demand for ecommerce fulfillment.

Amazon plans hire 100,000 people to keep up with online orders as the coronavirus spreads and keeps more people at home, shopping online. The company will also raise pay by $2 an hour through the end of April for hourly employees, who work at its warehouses, delivery centers and Whole Foods grocery stores.

Online learning companies: Now that over 30 million children are out of school, it’s boom time for online schools, which are swiftly expanding capacity. Outschool is hiring thousands of teachers to meet demand.

Grocery stores and delivery services: Grocery stores are your friends. Major chains such as Kroger, Meijer, and Safeway are hiring in-store shelf stockers and delivery staff; ditto for regional chains such as Raley’s. Grocery delivery services and apps such as Instacart are also hiring.

Working families: Many working parents are now forced to hire for many months of childcare, now that California’s governor announced that schools likely won’t open before fall. If kidcare is your jam, consider offering cheap, flexible options. Snap up these gigs in the next couple weeks.

Remote meeting and communication companies: Zoom is hiring, as are Slack and Microsoft Teams.

Walmart, 7-Eleven to hire thousands of workers amid coronavirus outbreak

Who is hiring during the coronavirus? Try these industries if you need a job now

LIST: Companies hiring during coronavirus pandemic

I'm going to the isle of Skye for two nights tomorrow. I just received this email from the hotel -
Good evening

This evening the Prime Minister announced that all restaurants and bars must close from today.

We are still able to have guests stay in the rooms and we will have a limited room service menu for breakfast and dinner however there will be no lunch service available.

If you would like to re-schedule this booking we are able to offer you alternative dates.

I must say I'm rather chuffed to be getting breakfast in bed and room service for dinner!

Coronavirus: Government steps up economic aid

Key points:

• PM orders cafes, pubs, clubs, restaurants, nightclubs, theatres, cinemas, gyms and leisure centres to close and not reopen tomorrow
  • Government will cover 80% of pay for people unable to work due to coronavirus
  • 39 more coronavirus-related deaths in England, bringing total to 167
  • Third person dies from coronavirus in Wales
  • London's Northwick Park hospital declares 'critical incident' after critical care unit hits capacity following surge in cases
  • Social distancing could last for 'most of a year'
  • More than 65,000 former nurses and doctors are told "Your NHS Needs You"
  • Over 10,000 people worldwide have now died from the virus

I am reading that certain pub chains (Weatherspoons? is that the name?) are refusing to close and inviting people in. And I'm seeing videos from both UK and Italy where people are still going to weddings, having parties in restaurants, etc. Without enforcement, apparently a lot of people are not going to obey and are willing to put themselves at risk.

40-50% of hospital beds are going to the under 40 population here in the US, stressing the system to its limits. Under 40's are more likely to receive aggressive treatment earlier (according to several doctors publishing or posting around the internet). So yay them but the medical personnel are the ones absorbing the risk - and dying.

Cotton tea towels, specifically. Other kitchen towels have too loose of a weave.
I sewed a few cloth mask using my DH's 100% cotton dress shirts. Used white color and added pleats and all, trying to make it not stand out from the 'regular' masks if I ever decided to wear them out, but it's time consuming to make.
A quicker way is to use several layers of paper napkins. Just staple elastic band to pleat folded napkins. It takes less than 5 minutes. Totally disposable ghetto mask.

I'm going to the isle of Skye for two nights tomorrow. I just received this email from the hotel -
Good evening

This evening the Prime Minister announced that all restaurants and bars must close from today.

We are still able to have guests stay in the rooms and we will have a limited room service menu for breakfast and dinner however there will be no lunch service available.

If you would like to re-schedule this booking we are able to offer you alternative dates.

I must say I'm rather chuffed to be getting breakfast in bed and room service for dinner!

Hope you have a lovely time.

WHO boss Tedros Adhanom tells youth to take coronavirus seriously: 'Even if you don't get sick the choices you make could be life and death for someone else'

The head of the World Health Organization has warned young people that they should take coronaviruswarnings seriously as they are 'not invincible'.

Tedros Adhanom Ghebreyesus said the bug could put a young person 'in hospital for weeks' and could even be deadly while speaking in a virtual press conference in Geneva.

WHO boss Tedros Adhanom tells youth to take coronavirus seriously | Daily Mail Online

I sewed a few cloth mask using my DH's 100% cotton dress shirts. Used white color and added pleats and all, trying to make it not stand out from the 'regular' masks if I ever decided to wear them out, but it's time consuming to make.
A quicker way is to use several layers of paper napkins. Just staple elastic band to pleat folded napkins. It takes less than 5 minutes. Totally disposable ghetto mask.

"They" "say" that healthy people don't need to wear a mask.

That being said, why do people who are on chemotherapy wear masks? It is to protect them from germs.

So, I don't know why there is a stress that healthy people don't need to wear masks.

This is another good article on masks. N95 works best, but surgical masks also help catching particles. So I think there is no doubt when we were advice to not wear masks, it was a really really bad advice.
"Conclusion: Masks – including surgical mask and N95 mask – can capture tiny particles over 10 times smaller than the coronavirus."
Can Masks Protect People from The Coronavirus? - Smart Air Filters
Felt this to be the case from the very beginning. A Mask is a mask...not a one way mask. I lucked out since I had to do sterile dressing changes for my husband's mechanical heart... I am sharing them with friends. But when I was feeling a bit "paranoid way back six or eight weeks ago".. I also bought an N95. Too many tourists in Florida!!!

I am reading that certain pub chains (Weatherspoons? is that the name?) are refusing to close and inviting people in. And I'm seeing videos from both UK and Italy where people are still going to weddings, having parties in restaurants, etc. Without enforcement, apparently a lot of people are not going to obey and are willing to put themselves at risk.

40-50% of hospital beds are going to the under 40 population here in the US, stressing the system to its limits. Under 40's are more likely to receive aggressive treatment earlier (according to several doctors publishing or posting around the internet). So yay them but the medical personnel are the ones absorbing the risk - and dying.
People putting themselves at risk is bad enough but they are also putting everyone else they come into contact with at risk which is reckless, stupid and selfish IMO

I took a long-sleeved cotton tee shirt and today I just put it over my mouth and nose and tied it behind my head with the arms. I'm beyond caring what this looks like. Cotton is easy to breathe through as well. Breathing is still important. :D

I did order some cotton cloths from Amazon today and will make some masks from them. They also had REAL masks that I could order - backorder to mid April so hopeful that they will actually deliver these.

That being said, why do people who are on chemotherapy wear masks? It is to protect them from germs.

So, I don't know why there is a stress that healthy people don't need to wear masks.
Because there are not enough masks. There already are huge shortages for medical personnel. I am suggesting we should wear homemade masks which are better than nothing.

The messaging around the virus has been so irresponsible. Everyone under the age of 60 seems to think that they are invincible and that the virus is nothing more than a mild cough. In two weeks, when people aged 20-50 deprive older people of hospital beds, they'll get it.

Early information from China was that masks don't help healthy people because the virus droplets are small enough to pass the barrier. Sick people should wear masks to prevent spreading the droplets. Double masks might help healthy people. I haven't yet seen any clear information about masks.

I took a long-sleeved cotton tee shirt and today I just put it over my mouth and nose and tied it behind my head with the arms. I'm beyond caring what this looks like. Cotton is easy to breathe through as well. Breathing is still important. :D

I did order some cotton cloths from Amazon today and will make some masks from them. They also had REAL masks that I could order - backorder to mid April so hopeful that they will actually deliver these.
I ordered some bandanas but they are not cotton.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sarahburhouse