Coronavirus COVID-19 - Global Health Pandemic #31

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
The messaging around the virus has been so irresponsible. Everyone under the age of 60 seems to think that they are invincible and that the virus is nothing more than a mild cough. In two weeks, when people aged 20-50 deprive older people of hospital beds, they'll get it.

Early information from China was that masks don't help healthy people because the virus droplets are small enough to pass the barrier. Sick people should wear masks to prevent spreading the droplets. Double masks might help healthy people. I haven't yet seen any clear information about masks.
It wasn't an early information from China. Chinese tend to wear masks as it is, even if there is no epidemic. It was our authorities telling us that masks won't help.

"They" "say" that healthy people don't need to wear a mask.

That being said, why do people who are on chemotherapy wear masks? It is to protect them from germs.

So, I don't know why there is a stress that healthy people don't need to wear masks.
I don't either. Maybe 'they' don't want the public to start demanding masks. Boy, I wish all of us have a stash of N95 masks.

Ever have to take a 7-day course of Flagyl ( Metronidazole) for an abdominal infection? You know how bitter it tastes and how awful you feel when you reach the therapeutic dose. It's miserable.

This is WORSE.

Herat, are you still discussing Plaquenil (hydroxychloroquine)?It is not bitter to taste and it does not make most people feel ill. Very few people have many side effects. It is tolerated very well by many people with autoimmune diseases. It was not the least bit unpleasant the years I took it. It is a miracle for many of us!

I took a long-sleeved cotton tee shirt and today I just put it over my mouth and nose and tied it behind my head with the arms. I'm beyond caring what this looks like. Cotton is easy to breathe through as well. Breathing is still important. :D

I did order some cotton cloths from Amazon today and will make some masks from them. They also had REAL masks that I could order - backorder to mid April so hopeful that they will actually deliver these.
Hubby is going on a Walmart run in the morning. Any suggestions for how I could talk him into wearing one of my fruit of the loom sports bras?

It wasn't an early information from China. Chinese tend to wear masks as it is, even if there is no epidemic. It was our authorities telling us that masks won't help.

First off, do masks work?

“For most people, no. A mask that you buy in the pharmacy can never give total protection against a virus that is transmitted through the air,” said Eric Litvack, medical chief for preventive medicine and control in Montreal’s Public Health Department.

But they can help if they’re worn by people who are sick, because they act as a barrier to stop the tiny droplets that are expelled when they cough or sneeze, Litvack said.

Physicians do not recommend that the general population wear a mask, said Charles Frenette, medical director of infection control at the McGill University Health Centre, because once it’s been used by a sick person it is contaminated and should be discarded immediately. People who are unaware of this may touch the mask with their hands or leave it lying around.

Also, people don’t tend to practice proper etiquette while wearing a mask. For example, someone may still touch their mouth, risking infection.

In China, where thousands have been infected and may not be aware of it, masks could reduce the spread of the virus, he said. But the masks don’t give a hermetic seal, so very small drops suspended in the air can still get through."​

Then why do medical workers wear masks in hospitals?

"In that case, they work as part of an overall strategy to limit the spread of diseases.

At the McGill University Health Centre, medical workers caring for people who have respiratory tract infractions like influenza or the rhinovirus employ “droplet precautions” like wearing a surgical mask, gloves, eye protection and a gown, Frenette said. For more virulent strains, like chickenpox, measles, tuberculosis, ebola and the new coronavirus, workers must wear the N95 mask, which provides more coverage and has a better filter.

Presently, the World Health Organization and the Public Health Agency of Canada recommend those caring for a patient use a medical mask, while the United States is recommending the N95 mask."​

January 29, 2020
Why a mask won’t protect you from the Wuhan coronavirus

I'm going to the isle of Skye for two nights tomorrow. I just received this email from the hotel -
Good evening

This evening the Prime Minister announced that all restaurants and bars must close from today.

We are still able to have guests stay in the rooms and we will have a limited room service menu for breakfast and dinner however there will be no lunch service available.

If you would like to re-schedule this booking we are able to offer you alternative dates.

I must say I'm rather chuffed to be getting breakfast in bed and room service for dinner!

Wow, you're brave. Hope you don't have to fly to your holiday hotel!

Hubby is going on a Walmart run in the morning. Any suggestions for how I could talk him into wearing one of my fruit of the loom sports bras?
When covid first started, there was a photo circulating of some guy wearing a maxi pad instead of a mask. If a guy can wear a maxi pad on his face, wearing a sports bra should be no biggie.

Good! I really do think it flattens the curve. Since a lot of people have CoVid19 and are asymptomatic, eventually we'll find that some type of herd immunity is going on. IOW, those of us at higher risk will be meeting up with people who have had the virus and are no longer infectious. Now we just have to await news on whether people can get reinfected (I'm guessing that it's rare - based on what they're learning in China and from animal models).

We just really need to protect our medical personnel. The situation in Bergamo is dire and awful, as we can all see. And Bergamo has a great hospital.

Coronavirus: Dame Vera Lynn's birthday message to 'keep smiling, keep singing'

''
Dame Vera Lynn has urged fans to "keep smiling and keep singing" in the coming months as coronavirus continues to spread.

The Forces Sweetheart shared her uplifting message on her official Twitter page as she celebrated her 103rd birthday.''

What a great lady!
Wow... this was quite special.. Never heard of her, loved listening and learning about her. Her birthday is just one day before mine..I will remember that. (I hope she is in a safe place right now)

I haven’t read any of these threads (or any WS thread) all week. Got laid off yesterday, which in a weird way was relieving to not have to live on pins and needles anymore. Sending love to my fellow NYers dealing with the massive shut downs. Be well.

I'm going to the isle of Skye for two nights tomorrow. I just received this email from the hotel -
Good evening

This evening the Prime Minister announced that all restaurants and bars must close from today.

We are still able to have guests stay in the rooms and we will have a limited room service menu for breakfast and dinner however there will be no lunch service available.

If you would like to re-schedule this booking we are able to offer you alternative dates.

I must say I'm rather chuffed to be getting breakfast in bed and room service for dinner!

Sounds great! I think I’d like to see out the next few months up there.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Back