Coronavirus COVID-19 - Global Health Pandemic #32

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
FBI warns of coronavirus-related scams
[...]

They say you should be on high alert for fake emails that say they are from the CDC, or emails touting a cure or medical advice related to coronavirus.

U.S. Attorney Billy J. Williams for the District of Oregon says scammers have already devised numerous methods for defrauding people in connection with coronavirus.

"They are setting up websites, contacting people by phone and email, and posting disinformation on social media platforms," Williams said in a statement.

Some examples of scams linked to COVID-19 include:
  • Scammers are selling fake at-home test kits .
  • Scammers are offering to sell fake cures, vaccines, and medical advice related to coronavirus
  • Scammers are contacting people pretending to be doctors and hospitals that have treated a friend or relative for coronavirus and demanding payment for that treatment.
[...]

Hey Everyone,

We are putting together a forum for the virus. If you have any ideas for the categories to be included in the forum please send me a private message. Here is what I am thinking so far:
Each state will have its own thread. We will ask everyone to put in information about their state.
A general discussion where this thread and the past threads will be located.
A media thread of course.
Debunking all the kooky crap out there discussion.
Daily count of how many cases are being reported and how many deaths. We would have other countries included. This would be a no discussion thread too.
I have a few more ideas but I am open to anything.
Thanks.
Tricia

Let me clear something up. We will all be together on this thread discussing just like we are now. The other categories will be added so you all can access certain pieces of info more quickly.

Thank you for this @Tricia!

I don't know how to quote @LadyL from the last thread but regarding her post saying that CV came from eating meat... my friends and I (well, most of us are) completely vegan. We have been joking that this wasn't *our* fault! Hey, we have to joke in times like this. That said, please don't take offense if you are a meat eater. We aren't generally judge-y but darn - I have never offended so many in my life as I have when they find out I am vegan. It could be in an online profile and it makes people harass me, send pictures, berate me. Crazy. But yeah - it wasn't out fault! ;)

vegan here *waves*

CALIFORNIA - Fresno County

No ‘community spread’ of coronavirus in Fresno so far. Here’s when that could change
Fresno County so far has not confirmed a coronavirus case spread by community transmission.

The Public Health Department announced three new positive cases on Friday, bringing the total to six. Five of them were travel related. No one has been hospitalized locally or died from COVID-19.

[...]

When health officials say “community spread,” that means the source of the infection can’t be determined and a patient could’ve contracted the virus from anywhere in the community, said Dr. Rais Vohra, the county’s interim health officer.

The risk of getting COVID-19 from community spread remains low, Vohra said. Once the county confirms 10 cases or more, that risk will grow, and health officials are preparing for that scenario. So far, 200-300 Fresno County residents have been tested.

[...]

That's really good news. It means they've found vectors and clusters.

Think coronavirus is just like the flu? You’re wrong and here’s why
[...]

For starters, we just don’t know as much about coronavirus, and there is no vaccine for it.

That much — the lack of a vaccine and the race to find one — has been well publicized in recent days. Experts say it could take a year or longer to get one into production.

And, unlike the flu, which we have built up antibodies to fight, that’s not the case with humans and novel corona.

Worse is the fear that this virus could mutate.

And, from what we know now, Anthony Fauci, the director of the National Institute of Allergy and Infectious Diseases, estimates COVID-19 is “roughly 10 times more lethal than the flu.”

And that is believed to be because the flu has been around since humans have been practicing medicine. COVID-19 came to us in December. It’s new and a different type of virus so humans don’t have the advantage of having built up defenses of it over the course of thousands of years.

COVID-19 is the fourth strain of coronavirus known to exist. According to MarketWach the other four are responsible for as much as 25 percent of our colds. But the “cross-immunity” from those to this doesn’t seem to exist.

[...]

CALIFORNIA - Marin County

Marin County reports 38 coronavirus cases in new diagram
[...]

A total of 38 cases have been confirmed. Among those 38, four are hospitalized.

Additionally, 357 Marin County residents have been tested for COVID-19.

The latest numbers show that 6.72% of people tested have had a positive result within the county.

In California, 1,063 people have contracted COVID-19, and 20 have died due to the virus.

[...]

Thank you for your offer! These are her current meds
Enrofloxacin 136 mg. 1.5 pills daily
Rimadyl 100 mg 1 pill daily
Melatonin 3 mg 1 pill nightly
She is so loopy from the pain med, I don’t plan to give her Melatonin tonight. I think being in my quiet little house is going to be so much less stressful, that she isn’t going to need it.

Her skin smells but they said it isn’t anything to be worried about. It looks painful and she twitches in her sleep like it hurts. My daughter said it smells like a yeast infection that dogs get. She also brought home some organic skin treatment to sprinkle on her food. I suspect my daughter will get the nutrition/food narrowed down to something better. (My daughter is studying to get into vet school.)

My daughter works for DogPerfect as the Food Dept Mgr. The state inspectors came in today and deemed them an essential business because they sell fresh foods for dogs. They told her that all non essential businesses will be shuttered this weekend. (SW FL)
Someone may have suggested this already but ask your vet for some shampoo or mousse that has chlorhexidine. That should help, imo.
Maybe ask your vet about galliprant instead of rimadyl. I understand that it is better for long term use, easier on the liver.

fish oil is great.
She is beautiful and looks a lot like one of mine who is so adorable and sweet.

TENNESSEE

First COVID-19 death reported in Tennessee; 263 cases statewide
The first novel coronavirus-related death has been reported in Tennessee.

The Metro Public Health Department said a 73-year-old Nashville man died on Friday. Officials said the man had underlying health conditions and died due to complications with COVID-19.

“This is a tragic loss of life, and we extend our heartfelt condolences with the family,” said Mayor John Cooper. “Even though the majority of people diagnosed with COVID-19 have experienced mild symptoms, we know that the virus can be life-threatening, and we need everyone to take steps to protect themselves and each other.”

The number of COVID-19 cases in Tennessee has risen to 263.

[...]

Really glad for this. Since nothing is open, there is no reason for children to be out, not only due to Covid 19, but to reduce criminal acts, moo.
www.news-graphic.com › breaking_news › city-county-issue-nighttime-...
Yes, they should not be out. What do they think all the schools are closed for? The parents should be scolded. On a positive note. I spent a few hours talking to many of my students on the phone today. They are staying in and doing their best to keep up with their studies. I will do whatever I can to help them get through these trying times.
9 hours ago - A curfew for anyone 18 and under from 9pm to 6am, unless with a parent, has been issued for Georgetown and Scott County via executive orders from Mayor Tom Prather and Judge-Executive Joe Pat Covington.

WISCONSIN

CORONAVIRUS: Three men have died in Wisconsin
Hair salons, day spas, nail salons, barber shops, tattoo parlors, body art establishments, tanning facilities must close effective 5 p.m. Friday

There are now at least 216 positive cases of coronavirus in Wisconsin. Sixty-seven of those are in the city of Milwaukee.

Three people have now died in Wisconsin.

[...]

A National Guard medical unit had reportedly been dispatched to Grafton, but Capt. Joe Travato with the National Guard told WISN 12 News there are no active missions ion Grafton at this time.

He said it is still being discussed at the state level on what is the best resource to send to Grafton right now, but at the moment the National Guard has not been deployed to help in Grafton or at Village Pointe Commons.

[...]

Evers gave updates on Friday to the previous order prohibiting mass gatherings of 10 or more people.

The updated order maintains the ban on gatherings of 10 or more people and indefinite school closures but includes some important changes and clarifications:
  • Treats bars and restaurants are the same. Bars will be able to have carryout sales of alcohol and food, if allowed by local ordinances and state law. This will help ensure thousands of establishments can stay in business during this unprecedented health emergency.
  • Media and news organizations can remain open to provide the public with vital information.
  • Laundromats may remain open.
  • Banks, credit unions, and other financial institutions may remain open if they practice social distancing.
  • All parts of the food delivery system – from farms to stores – may remain open.
  • Clarifies that cafeterias in healthcare facilities may remain open to serve our healthcare workers.
  • Allied health professions, such as acupuncturists, are unaffected by the mass gathering ban.
  • All parts of our transportation system can continue to serve our economy.
  • Any facility used for in-person absentee voting or as a polling location may remain open for voting, except for sites at long-term care and assisted care facilities.
  • Hair salons, day spas, nail salons, barber shops, tattoo parlors, body art establishments and tanning facilities must close effective 5 p.m. on Friday, March 20, 2020.

NEW YORK

https://nypost.com/2020/03/20/fema-issues-major-disaster-declaration-for-new-york-over-coronavirus/
The Trump administration has issued a Major Disaster Declaration for New York, the epicenter of the coronavirus outbreak in the United States, officials said.

The emergency declaration Friday from the Federal Emergency Management Agency (FEMA) unlocks access to a nationwide pot of $42 billion in vital aid from the Disaster Relief Fund, as the number of confirmed New York cases soar and critical medical supplies remain scarce, according to Senate Minority Leader Charles Schumer.

[...]

“With more and more cases confirmed here each day, it’s imperative that the federal government does everything within its power to stem the spread of the deadly coronavirus.”

[...]

As I fully encompass the impact of this awful virus, I am literally in tears. Thinking long term, so many will not survive. What about summer and picnics, bicycling, swimming, vacations? Thanksgiving? Christmas? What will happen to schools? To people out of work? I just cannot comprehend it all.
Trino, this will not go on forever. We will get through this. We will mourn our losses and learn many great lessons. The youngest generation will have more reverence for life and hopefully a greater appreciation of the Earth. I used to spend a lot of time in the Italian lake district and the lakes are amazing. They never allowed motor boats on them and now seeing how beautiful their canals are becoming in Venice, I hope they never allow a motor boat there ever again. We will emerge from this and hopefully into a more beautiful world. We will so appreciate that point when we get there. Stay strong and positive.

PENNSYLVANIA

LIVE UPDATES: 38 coronavirus cases confirmed in western Pa., Gov. Wolf pushes back enforcement of shutdown order

[...]

UPDATE 9 p.m.: Gov. Tom Wolf announced the enforcement of businesses failing to adhere to his shutdown order is being pushed back.

Instead of “non-life-sustaining” businesses being disciplined for staying open starting 12:01 a.m. Saturday, the enforcement of that order will become effective Monday at 8 a.m.

Officials cited a “high volume of waiver requests” as the reason for the delay in enforcing the shutdown order, which said any businesses that aren’t life-essential had to close their physical locations Thursday night.

UPDATE 8:50 p.m.: You will soon be able to get tested for the novel coronavirus at the Pittsburgh Zoo parking lot.

Starting March 23, the Central Outreach Wellness Center will be using the zoo’s main parking lot for drive-thru COVID-19 testing.

That is located at 7370 Baker Street in Pittsburgh.

According to a release, everyone is asked to bring a photo ID and insurance card. However, officials said they will not turn anyone away who doesn’t have insurance.

You also do not need a referral or prescription to receive testing.

Although, officials said if you don’t have any of the main coronavirus symptoms (dry cough/fever/shortness of breath) you are asked to stay home to keep from getting infected.

UPDATE 7:23 p.m.: Heritage Valley Health System is implementing a no visitation policy at its three hosptials: Heritage Valley Sewickley, Heritage Valley Beaver and Heritage Valley Kennedy.

Officials said this is to further protect patients and staff during the coronavirus outbreak.

UPDATE 6:35 p.m.: Bishop David Zubik announced some new changes regarding not eating meat on Fridays and the Sacrament of Reconciliation, among others.

Priests can hear confession in church parking lots, helping cut down on in-person exposure to the coronavirus.

Additionally, Catholics do not have to abstain from eating meat on Fridays, with the exception of Good Friday.

“As you are aware, many of the shelves and cases in our supermarkets are sparse, if not empty. This is a time when pastoral necessity has informed my decision effective today,” Bishop Zubik said.

UPDATE 6:10 p.m.: City firefighters are now feeling a little easier thanks in part to now being able to access health information related to the coronavirus outbreak.

Target 11 told you about fire crews raising concerns that privacy laws were not letting them know critical health information of the people they were helping. That’s now changed, with local patients being provided to emergency officials.

[...]

(More at the link)

As I'm 60+ and have hypertension, it's not even certain that I will get a mild case, or that I will survive a serious case of Covid-19, but if I get any symptoms of a cold, or the corona virus, I will follow the recommendations from my employer and stay at home as soon as I get symptoms, and for two days after the disappearance of symptoms. Here in Sweden there is nothing like you can only have a certain number of sick-days, if we are ill we can stay at home, with 80 percent of our ordinary wages, so there is nothing that forces us to go to work when ill.

need a roommate?
moving to Sweden stat

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members