Coronavirus COVID-19 - Global Health Pandemic #33

Status
Not open for further replies.
I’m so happy to hear this. Bad enough to go through a pandemic, imagine having nowhere safe to rest your head at night. My respect for our Mayor increases by the day.

And no-where to wash your hands.
Well, this "a way" to distance yourself from the grandkids!
Just bring the beach chairs and keep a safe distance!
(They really shouldn't have left their home, but older people can be hard headed!)
This is a friend of mine's parents and children...
I don't think their faces can be seen.
Just, how sweet is the power of love?
Love-1
Coronavirus-0
Moo
View attachment 239752

Gorgeous.

Certainly we hope for 100% recovery. Also hope the FL party-goers around the same age see this story.
There are also many beachgoers in South Carolina. Those beaches are popular tourist areas too, and CNN News showed a reporter there discussing the crowds just yesterday. And it was not only spring breakers. Crowds included families with children. And older folks. Parking areas were full the reporter noted.

Last edited:
With the latest announcement for Australia's response made in the last hour (i.e. pubs, clubs, churches, cafes, etc closing for capital cities/most of the country), I have to admit I am feeling just as afraid of my fellow Australian's responses to this crisis as I do for those at risk of COVID19. I am only 43 but have an incurable cancer and I have family/friends who have high risk medical conditions and I am just shaking my head tonight.

I felt like our PM tonight told us off like naughty children....and as a nation we deserved it! To see people congregating across beaches, at shops and restaurants, to see young people partying away last night across major capital cities and towns....I don't know if I feel angry or scared or disgusted...probably all 3.

I feel ashamed of our people's response right now, and I truly hope the stern talking to we got tonight means people snap out of it and get on the same page together. This is a society-changing situation we are in, and I for one am going to start calling people out publicly that I see flouting the restrictions from tomorrow.

Sorry, I'll get off my soapbox now, but wow, I'm shocked at humanity sometimes :(

I felt like a loon because I put my mail in the freezer overnight, thinking it would kill any Coronacooties. :p Apparently it doesn’t, according to what I read online.

I actually feel calmer now, I watched several doctors with fancy titles on television talking about how the media and some talking heads are salivating over predicting the worst possible outcome in the US, not taking into account any methods being utilized to help prevent the spread. They explained the “end of civilization as we know it” predictions seem to be based on if we did absolutely nothing. If that makes sense? I’m not great at explaining things. I hope this helps to alleviate some panic.

One doctor thinks we should see a flattening in just a month in the US. (I’m not trying to downplay anything, just hoping to calm some people’s anxiety a bit.)

My local Walgreen’s and CVS are limiting items to people, an employee I am friendly with at Walgreen’s said as soon as they opened the door the first few people would come in and buy out stuff like toilet paper. Not sure about Walmart, haven’t been there for a week or so.
Freezing/refrigeration preserves things, so freezing your mail is not going to kill viruses.

German cases soar as Merkel considers lockdown

The number of coronavirus cases in Germany has increased by 1,948 in the past 24 hours to 18,610.

That jump represents a 12% increase on Saturday’s figures. Meanwhile, the number of deaths has increased by eight to 55.

The German government is considering a nationwide lockdown to combat coronavirus. Last week, two German states -- Bavaria and Saarland -- imposed state-wide restrictions to try to contain its spread.

German Chancellor Angela Merkel is set to meet state premiers later on Sunday to discuss further measures.

Coronavirus news and live updates: Coronavirus cases top 300,000 - CNN

With the latest announcement for Australia's response made in the last hour (i.e. pubs, clubs, churches, cafes, etc closing for capital cities/most of the country), I have to admit I am feeling just as afraid of my fellow Australian's responses to this crisis as I do for those at risk of COVID19. I am only 43 but have an incurable cancer and I have family/friends who have high risk medical conditions and I am just shaking my head tonight.

I felt like our PM tonight told us off like naughty children....and as a nation we deserved it! To see people congregating across beaches, at shops and restaurants, to see young people partying away last night across major capital cities and towns....I don't know if I feel angry or scared or disgusted...probably all 3.

I feel ashamed of our people's response right now, and I truly hope the stern talking to we got tonight means people snap out of it and get on the same page together. This is a society-changing situation we are in, and I for one am going to start calling people out publicly that I see flouting the restrictions from tomorrow.

Sorry, I'll get off my soapbox now, but wow, I'm shocked at humanity sometimes :(
I feel ashamed of our people's response in the US. I've been heartbroken over it. I believe their is a serious reckoning that has now begun and will be visible in hospitals and death in a very short time. The choices being made for money instead of lives makes me nauseous. The sheer disregard for the seriousness of the situation leaves me horrified. I've screamed as loud as I can for 2 months.....I've lost hope. We will have to suffer through this pain.....it is inevitable....It can't be stopped....

The UK is just a couple of weeks behind Italy, Boris Johnson warns

UK Prime Minister Boris Johnson has warned that the country's NHS risks becoming "overwhelmed" by the coronavirus outbreak and that the situation in Britain is just two or three weeks behind Italy.

“The numbers are very stark, and they are accelerating. We are only a matter of weeks -- two or three -- behind Italy,” Johnson said.

“The Italians have a superb health care system. And yet their doctors and nurses have been completely overwhelmed by the demand. The Italian death toll is already in the thousands and climbing.

Iran claims it's "strange" the US is offering us medication

Iran’s supreme religious leader, Ayatollah Ali Khamenei refused any form of American aid for Iran's citizens on Sunday, claiming the US might be planning to use medication against Iran.

“Maybe the medication provided is also another tool to aggravate that disease, so we can never trust you,” Khamenei, considered the highest authority in Iran, said, without evidence, in a speech delivered on Iran’s national TV for the annual Persian new year.

He added it was "very strange" that the US is offering the country medication. "The US has shortages, they are facing acute shortages in terms of preventive tools,” Khamenei added.

I feel ashamed of our people's response in the US. I've been heartbroken over it. I believe their is a serious reckoning that has now begun and will be visible in hospitals and death in a very short time. The choices being made for money instead of lives makes me nauseous. The sheer disregard for the seriousness of the situation leaves me horrified. I've screamed as loud as I can for 2 months.....I've lost hope. We will have to suffer through this pain.....it is inevitable....It can't be stopped....

It's heartbreaking, isn't it. I think what gets me the most is that people are choosing 'fun', FOMO or whatever you want to call it over the lives of their fellow human beings. I think it hit me this weekend, seeing all the footage of partying, public dinner gatherings and other mass groups of people. Looking at those images makes me think of that diagram that shows the multiplying effect one person can have. I personally don't want to die and I don't want my loved ones or anyone else to die. But the reality is the choices of these other people have just raised the chances of that happening by a significant amount.

Iran claims it's "strange" the US is offering us medication

Iran’s supreme religious leader, Ayatollah Ali Khamenei refused any form of American aid for Iran's citizens on Sunday, claiming the US might be planning to use medication against Iran.

“Maybe the medication provided is also another tool to aggravate that disease, so we can never trust you,” Khamenei, considered the highest authority in Iran, said, without evidence, in a speech delivered on Iran’s national TV for the annual Persian new year.

He added it was "very strange" that the US is offering the country medication. "The US has shortages, they are facing acute shortages in terms of preventive tools,” Khamenei added.

Wow.....you can look around and find a worse situation....

Africa cases top 1,000 amid more national curbs

Africa has seen its coronavirus cases pass the 1,000 mark this weekend. There are currently 1,198 confirmed cases of Covid-19.

Uganda reported its first case last night after testing a passenger who had returned home from Dubai.

The confirmation came hours after President Yoweri Museveni had announced several crowd control measures including banning of all flight operations starting midnight on Sunday.

In neighbouring Rwanda, the government has announced that it may extend its 14-day lockdown which was imposed last week on Thursday.

Rwanda has so far recorded 17 cases of Covid-19, the most in the east Africa region.

In the Democratic Republic of Congo recorded its first Covid-19 related death after a doctor who had returned from France succumbed to the disease.

Coronavirus cases pass 300,000 around the world - BBC News

Hong Kong cases spike again

Health officials in Hong Kong have confirmed another 44 cases bringing the city-wide total to 317.

Out of the 44 new cases, 29 had recent travel history to countries in Europe as well as North America. The 44 new cases represent the second largest single-day increase, after 48 cases were reported on Friday.

Coronavirus cases pass 300,000 around the world - BBC News

It's heartbreaking, isn't it. I think what gets me the most is that people are choosing 'fun', FOMO or whatever you want to call it over the lives of their fellow human beings. I think it hit me this weekend, seeing all the footage of partying, public dinner gatherings and other mass groups of people. Looking at those images makes me think of that diagram that shows the multiplying effect one person can have. I personally don't want to die and I don't want my loved ones or anyone else to die. But the reality is the choices of these other people have just raised the chances of that happening by a significant amount.
It's a total disregard for science. How did we get to this place in industrialized nations that people have such a small regard for science. For the most part, it got us to the party. As this developed, I reached back to the 1918 pandemic and originally thought there were no similarities. How could it be that humans are acting in the same way as 100 years ago.......as a species do we learn nothing?

Last edited:
It's a total disregard for science. How did we get to this place in industrialized nations that people have such a small regard for science. For the most part, it got us to the party. As this developed, I reached back to the 1918 pandemic and originally thought there were no similarities. How could it be that humans are acting in the same way as 100 years ago.......as a species do we learn nothing?

Exactly! And we have so many resources and accessibility to get this right, to minimise harm this time round, yet we might as well open the flood gates with the way some people are behaving. Listen to the experts, be overcautious if necessary. We just need to get used to months of restrictions - if people are struggling with limiting their lives for even 1 weekend, to me that says we are going to see some significant policing of these restrictions in coming weeks.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member