Coronavirus COVID-19 - Global Health Pandemic #34

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
So, in happier news, today is my 65th birthday (I am now in the group that doesn't have to go back to work until this is over, basically - I get to teach online forever? Can't afford to quit cuz no health insurance due to stupid decisions made within our public ed system but hey, no complaints as I love teaching and will adapt - have been teaching online for 25 years).

We went with our 5 year old granddaughter to the rural area where I was raised and looked at cows, horses, ponies and walked through a deserted aviary and talked to a Cockatiel who was so lonely. The parrots were trying to learn to say "Hello" or "hi." She was so jazzed about it. Everything is brilliant green and there is rushing water in the creeks. Only about 5 cars at the trail head, we saw no one.

Then we started up our living room band again. Granddaughter sang at the microphone, I played bass and DH played guitar and drum machine. We were very loud and it was so much fun. Found one food delivery place as a treat, following on the heels of new data that tell me it's really unlikely to get CV19 from food delivery or from food in general. We did Credence and some blues.

Granddaughter had rainbow sherbet and, well, maybe I had a little too.

I realize I have to get this virus eventually but really would like to wait a while, till resources aren't so tight. Maybe they'll restock the meds before I get it? I've had lung issues all my life, so there's that. Feeling great after two weeks of scratchy throat and cough.

All I want for my birthday is millions of fast track testing kits, including ones for the antibodies, especially ones that allow us to take the sample at home with a finger prick and send it in. I keep reading we have to use blood for antibody testing (as opposed to the PCR tests for the virus itself).

Happy birthday to you! I'm glad you're healthy. I so appreciate your posts. :)

so not lady garden's then ok

also apparently 1 million people lost their jobs yesterday in Australia, and our social security system has crashed again for the second day in a row so if you have a medicare claim to lodge or something else to do you can't right now

also our family was supposed to come down for easter my wife's little sister lives in Sydney now with her partner and they will be trapped there for the foreseeable future and we can't have our cousin over as he has MS and is immune compromised with his treatments and our grandparents can't come either because you know they are old

We're also (US) not able to get together on Easter. Wondering if we'll be able to see each other on Thanksgiving or Christmas.

I'm pretty confident the CDC is telling the truth.
Coronavirus Disease 2019 (COVID-19)

An array of drugs approved for other indications as well as several investigational drugs are being studied in several hundred clinical trials that are underway across the globe.

There are studies using existing drugs as well as efforts to develop a vaccine. At this time, there is no evidence that existing drugs work or that there will be a vaccine sooner than 12-18 months.

A Husband and Wife sent their Daughter to spring break in Florida last week, even though the president was on tv warning the public to self quarantine but the man and woman apparently like to spoil their child so she came home to Martin County Kentucky this past weekend and brought her parents home a gift, the Coronavirus and probably the rest of the community will catch it also.

What a heavy price to pay.
yikes... :(

So in 2 more days, the US will rack up as many as total Italy and and in 4 more days as many as the full total of China.....when both went into full lockdown and one still is and other is cautiously watching.
But in 8 days our President is going to say forget it, everybody back to work.....here is my response.

Hahahahahahahaha.....funny

Knowledge is, indeed, power. Understanding the importance of accurate testing is necessary to understanding the numbers game.

For the U.S. to exceed and become #1 in known cases is not a bad thing. In fact, it is my belief, that it is a result of more accurate statistical data, thereby giving authorities a greater understanding of the threat.

The numbers game. I also understand the numbers on a graph are not showing the growth of the virus, rather, they show with a wee bit greater accuracy what is indeed happening in reality.

Actually, I believe the true infection numbers to be far greater, but never can be known, as noone can determine the number of infected that a. never seek medical help, and b. never get tested.

In my opinion, the most accurate way to watch the numbers game, is to watch the death rate. BUT WAIT, how does one calculate an accurate death rate, if one does not know the accurate number of those infected?

I think the U.S. has a better handle on reality in terms of numbers than China, and Italy too. And I would rather be NO OTHER PLACE than the U.S.A. during this crisis.

MOO

peace :)

If the Oklahoma teachers and the Oklahoma kids I've met are any indication, that faith is justified. Smart, dedicated teachers, and super-nice kids :)
My sister retired a few years ago from teaching elementary school most of her life. If our state has any money at all, voters tend to invest it in our children and promote/lobby education. Our state already feels like it’s been broken and glued back together through prior tragedies. We’ve bonded as an inclusive community. As a family. You know what you get when you create a family? An army! We shall overcome.

So, in happier news, today is my 65th birthday (I am now in the group that doesn't have to go back to work until this is over, basically - I get to teach online forever? Can't afford to quit cuz no health insurance due to stupid decisions made within our public ed system but hey, no complaints as I love teaching and will adapt - have been teaching online for 25 years).

We went with our 5 year old granddaughter to the rural area where I was raised and looked at cows, horses, ponies and walked through a deserted aviary and talked to a Cockatiel who was so lonely. The parrots were trying to learn to say "Hello" or "hi." She was so jazzed about it. Everything is brilliant green and there is rushing water in the creeks. Only about 5 cars at the trail head, we saw no one.

Then we started up our living room band again. Granddaughter sang at the microphone, I played bass and DH played guitar and drum machine. We were very loud and it was so much fun. Found one food delivery place as a treat, following on the heels of new data that tell me it's really unlikely to get CV19 from food delivery or from food in general. We did Credence and some blues.

Granddaughter had rainbow sherbet and, well, maybe I had a little too.

I realize I have to get this virus eventually but really would like to wait a while, till resources aren't so tight. Maybe they'll restock the meds before I get it? I've had lung issues all my life, so there's that. Feeling great after two weeks of scratchy throat and cough.

All I want for my birthday is millions of fast track testing kits, including ones for the antibodies, especially ones that allow us to take the sample at home with a finger prick and send it in. I keep reading we have to use blood for antibody testing (as opposed to the PCR tests for the virus itself).
BBM-- I remember you saying that last week so I posted a birthday song/post for you in another thread.
Hope you your birthday wishes come true !!!

Good question! Some places are in trouble, others are not yet in trouble. Why self-isolate and close businesses when not everyone is sick?
People need to continue to self-isolate and maintain social distance. Dr. Dix made that very clear during the news conference.

Businesses don't need to close everywhere nor have they.

JMO

Can you say what the significance in relation to COVID is?

I think it important to understand viral transmission in general, and to gain greater insight in to statistical analysis, infection rates, and death rates of various ailments and disease.

I have seen no hysteria relative to the terrible, terrible, death numbers from influenza. Are you not concerned?

So I am to be called snarky I presume, sorry.

I do not think hysteria, panic, and overall reactionary behaviors are helpful moving forward.

I was wrong in my post about school starting back next week. They are closed through 4/3. I guess it was updated and I did not see it.

On the post about the girl going to Spring Break and coming back infected. I posted an article earlier today where a kid was interviewed (a guy) stating that whatever happens, happens and he was not giving up his partying. He tested positive. It is so ignorant to not be concerned about others. They got their partying, their tans and no telling what else at a huge expense to themselves and innocent people that were following the guidelines. This sense of entitlement is not cute and cool.

Knowledge is, indeed, power. Understanding the importance of accurate testing is necessary to understanding the numbers game.

For the U.S. to exceed and become #1 in known cases is not a bad thing. In fact, it is my belief, that it is a result of more accurate statistical data, thereby giving authorities a greater understanding of the threat.

The numbers game. I also understand the numbers on a graph are not showing the growth of the virus, rather, they show with a wee bit greater accuracy what is indeed happening in reality.

Actually, I believe the true infection numbers to be far greater, but never can be known, as noone can determine the number of infected that a. never seek medical help, and b. never get tested.

In my opinion, the most accurate way to watch the numbers game, is to watch the death rate. BUT WAIT, how does one calculate an accurate death rate, if one does not know the accurate number of those infected?

I think the U.S. has a better handle on reality in terms of numbers than China, and Italy too. And I would rather be NO OTHER PLACE than the U.S.A. during this crisis.

MOO

Agreed....the end results is deaths.....unfortunately no one can argue with those statistics.
In a month, back to work or not, we will know if our current efforts worked. I predict no, but will happily say I was wrong if magically the deaths are less than Italy or China. Not really worth arguing over. We are on a trajectory of someone dying.....

I am sorry... I know what it means to see family at special times.
Easter will probably be cancelled for us also. It was to be in my youngest daughter's new home, which probably now, will not close due to mtg/.banks being closed for the most part.
My oldest daughter's wedding will probably be cancelled.
I hope the caterer, photographer, rental hall and wedding planner will allow us to use our deposits towards a future date.
It stinks not being surrounded by family right now, but I pray and have hope that by doing our due diligence NOW, we will have a future to be able to celebrate with family and friends.
We will get through this !!!
Hugs! It’s a lot of family milestones that are put on hold or missed. Hopefully by social distancing and isolating ourselves, we’ll be able to make more memories with our loved ones.

MOO

Actual testing will help make this statement true. I'm not sure we are there yet with our efforts, but we can be.

A Husband and Wife sent their Daughter to spring break in Florida last week, even though the president was on tv warning the public to self quarantine but the man and woman apparently like to spoil their child so she came home to Martin County Kentucky this past weekend and brought her parents home a gift, the Coronavirus and probably the rest of the community will catch it also.

Same thing happened at the University of Tampa where 5 students tested positive today after returning from spring break:

Florida university announces five spring breakers tested positive for coronavirus

Agreed....the end results is deaths.....unfortunately no one can argue with those statistics.
In a month, back to work or not, we will know if our current efforts worked. I predict no, but will happily say I was wrong if magically the deaths are less than Italy or China. Not really worth arguing over. We are on a trajectory of someone dying.....

I get it. There is no one person at fault here, well, unless one buys in to the theory this was released on purpose, or escaped from a lab.

It is my belief that the best statistical testing and resulting data will give those in positions of importance the information needed to best address the situation on the ground.

I think the U.S.A. now has that system of testing in place.

He was an elementary school teacher before a Prime Minister - that's where his "enough is enough" comes from.

Well alrighty then, that explains why I have a school girl crush on him :p:p:p

At each presser, I expect him to invite the media in for a cuppa tea. Just love that he is doing pressers at his front door!

I think it important to understand viral transmission in general, and to gain greater insight in to statistical analysis, infection rates, and death rates of various ailments and disease.

I have seen no hysteria relative to the terrible, terrible, death numbers from influenza. Are you not concerned?

So I am to be called snarky I presume, sorry.

I do not think hysteria, panic, and overall reactionary behaviors are helpful moving forward.

I consider myself snarky as well but I don't think it has much of a place here. I save it for twitter. We can study viral transmission as much as we want - Flu has a vaccine. COVID does not. The flu does not strike people all at once to the point the hospitals are overflowing and planned vital surgeries cannot take place. The flu does not require one of the largest convention centers in the world to be transformed into an emergency hospital. Being prepared does not equal hysteria. Self quarantine does not equal panic. Can I ask if you continue to have contact with people?

On the post about the girl going to Spring Break and coming back infected. I posted an article earlier today where a kid was interviewed (a guy) stating that whatever happens, happens and he was not giving up his partying. He tested positive. It is so ignorant to not be concerned about others. They got their partying, their tans and no telling what else at a huge expense to themselves and innocent people that were following the guidelines. This sense of entitlement is not cute and cool.

This video?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member