Coronavirus COVID-19 - Global Health Pandemic #41

Welcome to Websleuths!
Click to learn how to make a missing person's thread

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
WHO official allegedly refuses to address Taiwan as he appears to hang up on a journalist | Daily Mail Online

"The World Health Organization has been accused of being influenced by China after its top official appeared to hang up on a journalist when confronted with questions about Taiwan during a video interview.

When asked about Taiwan's handling of the coronavirus outbreak by a Hong Kong journalist, Dr Bruce Aylward, assistant director-general of the WHO, avoided commenting further, claiming they had 'already talked about China'."

For those interested in listening to Governor Cuomo, the daily links will be posted here:

New Jersey/New York - Coronavirus COVID-19

He is speaking now.

As New York is the epicenter, can we discuss scientific and health matters as to how he is handling on this thread? I'll do a trial balloon as it affects all of us - New York spread is coming to a city near all of us MOO and we would like to learn/discuss on this main thread perhaps?

e.g. right now he is talking about how they are handling the greatest shortage, even more than PPE's, which is the health care workers. It is science, it is the VIRUS. I'll post this short one off so folks can understand how their jurisdictions might handle.

Paraphrased from presser

"Health care systems don't work as an entirety. It's not one coordinated system. It doesn't matter which link in the chain breaks, the chain is broken.

The state is developing an internet portal of health care workers to move them (78,000) around the state. Broken out by region, discipline etc and sharing with the hospitals that are in need most, so what happened at Elmerst doesn't happen/avoid"

Great idea! It's never been done before where hospitals shared, and I would like to follow as to how it might come to my state, which is 2-3 weeks behind their experience.

Oh my Husband will speak to them. All he has to do it state something and they all listen. Not sure why since he is the youngest sibling lol Apparently my SIL is depressed being holed up. So what, we all are. She has never been clinically diagnosed as such for the record.

I feel for people who are extroverts or otherwise very social people during this time.

We have so many ways to interact OUTSIDE of in-person contact and now is the time to familiarize ourselves with them. Perhaps as an alternative to sharing a meal in one place together, the extended family could figure out a way to have shared time and experience WITHOUT the in-person contact, using Go to Meeting or some other application that allows several people to be online together at the same time, maybe all having their evening meal together and playing some interactive game. The younger family members could devise the games and the older family members could figure out which app to use and - by phone, email, or FaceBook - train the less tech-savvy members how to load and use the app.

I also think a nationwide thing we could do is to pick one time (say 4:00 to 4:15PM or 7:00 to 7:15PM if we'd prefer a bit of darkness) to light a candle in memory of those who have died as well as those currently suffering and the many healthcare providers who are treating them. People who live in suburbs or rural areas could go immediately outside their front doors and still maintain social distance and you can imagine how COOL it would look if some could employ drones to see the candlelight from above!

Rituals that pull us all together without endangering us are important at times like these.

DH and I have been taking daily walks through our neighborhood. When we see someone walking towards us, we veer away from them, keeping the requisite 6-foot distance.

I refuse to stay cooped up in my house because of this thing.

JMVHO.

Thank goodness we live on four acres.

All last week my hubby worked in our yard. He cut the lawn then cleaned out all of my numerous large flowerbeds. So at least we are able to walk around our own acreage, or working outside. My hubby is a workaholic so hes been able to find things to do to stay occupied.

He cuts the lawn once a week so at least he will have that to do again this week to keep him busy.

This time of year I would normally be in the middle of planting new flowers, but it's too risky to go to the stores or plant nurseries to buy them now.

I think the hardest thing has been being separated from our family.

Sunday 5 of our little grandchildren came with their mom, and dad. They didn't come in of course so we waved, and blew kisses from the french doors to our patio.

One of our little 5 year old grandsons began to cry with his little hands pressed up against the glass door because he was upset he couldnt come inside where we were.

So its hard even on little children who dont understand why they cant be around their grandparents or other family members like they normally are.

Jmho

A friend that owns a unique store brought me a huge box of new, very large bandanas! Guess what? They are the confederate flag design. I’m sure if I did wear one I’d die from a manner unrelated to Covid. What a shame 288 pristine, individually wrapped bandanas.
Well, that sucks. Is there any way to dye them?

Maybe send some to relatives or friends down south or overseas? Put them on Ebay is my recommendation.

Please see post @Tricia and @sillybilly

I thought this was the Global Pandemic CV19 thread but my post about Germany has been moved to a Germany only thread. (That has two posts only in it) Are there separate threads for different countries? So can I still post UK info in here? What gives?

I feel my support group scattering about. :(

Rsbm
Its just to many threads for me to even think about. Must less, we lose touch with our friends on this thread. I liked sharing state, national and international news, but do understand when threads change.

Will check in periodical to see how folks are....

I can't find the Germany only thread?
There is a UK and Ireland thread.

I don't think anyone is going to bother using this forum if we have to visit 57 different threads to check on our friends. I certainly won't.

Yes. We are all being segregated. I hope the awesome Mods re-consider or let us vote on the issue? With all due respect.

I posted on this several times and posts just disappeared. I guess maybe they were moved somewhere?

I've had mine moved to the NY.

@Tricia Would you provide guidance in the changes in the Covid thread?

Post are being moved to other locations. I was under the impression, separate threads were set up for those wanting to post local information. I may have misunderstood.

I've enjoyed and feel informed from the national and international information on this thread. This information show patterns, developing trends and most importantly a way to connect/support/and keep in touch with our WS family and friends.

Respectfully looking for guidance....

It's a global pandemic so it should be a global thread IMO. Eg. NY seems to be closely mirroring UK death rates ATM. So I am posting this in this thread. Hope that is correct.

Totally agree!!!

Some state and national post are removed and others aren't from this thread.

I'm starting to feel my post are unwelcome. So sorry if I have offended anyone. I'll look for another place to camp out.

Respectfully...

How about by asking posters to first identify the state? Sometimes it was confusing not knowing. That way posters could skip over a particular state topic if they had no interest. However, I found I was interested in things happening in different areas.

Yep. This is about how it feels to be living in South Carolina right now - scattered support. WS is (was?) my rock, my one sure thing in the chaos but now I feel that slipping away too.

Yes, I like to maintain a more global awareness. I think it's important to keep us all together. One person's comment from SC triggers another comment from the UK and that brings some news from NY. Mods, can we please keep together?

On a positive note - I'm learning more about the world. I had no idea that Florida had a higher population than NY. My goodness, where to they all live? I thought Florida was just 'gators, swamp and Disney. :D

I hope this does not turn into a generic comments only kind of thread. While I enjoy many of these, I come here mostly for information, worldwide, state-wide, small towns and counties not excluded. MOO

Exactly. I sure want to know how everybody is doing and talk about how this is affecting people personally, but the main purpose of this thread I thought was to discuss facts and information about the virus.

This virus doesn’t know borders.
We need to have a global and national perspective as we monitor our own areas.
What happens in one place can affect what happens in another place. Everything is connected. We have to learn from other countries and States. This is a global situation.

We have to learn from what is happening in NY and what Cuomo is doing wrt to hospital overflow, etc. so we can all learn for when it happens to us. These are collaborative efforts. There is value in learning and monitoring collectively what is happening in the nation and world as a whole.

What is the purpose of this current main thread now? I’m barely seeing any news or science links now...Is this a chat thread now? I can go to SM for that...I’m here for facts and information as it applies globally.

It seems to me the meat of the threads is disappearing.

It is difficult if not impossible to navigate around several different threads. I imagine it’s a lot of extra work for the mods too to relocate and filter so many posts.

I was here for facts, information, studies, reports from the beginning...now everything is all over the place. These threads have gone through the cheese grater overnight. It’s going to be hard to proceed if there is not some unity.

I’m disappointed now there seem to be minimal msm, etc?

We are all going to miss out on a lot of important msm and information now bc it’s scattered all over the place. I want to know what is happening everywhere.

I don’t have time to navigate and find 60 different threads or however many there are now.

We were doing just fine with the way the threads were before..what happened??

Last edited:
Yes, I like to maintain a more global awareness. I think it's important to keep us all together. One person's comment from SC triggers another comment from the UK and that brings some news from NY. Mods, can we please keep together?

On a positive note - I'm learning more about the world. I had no idea that Florida had a higher population than NY. My goodness, where to they all live? I thought Florida was just 'gators, swamp and Disney. :D

DH and I are transplants to Florida. We are continuously amazed at the amount of undeveloped land.

Not sure the answer is a forum for each state. Example: I was in Texas for the winter and have knowledge even now about this state. However, my home is in Minnesota, and I also have knowledge about MN. I really don't want to go to each state to post info.
It's a global pandemic so it should be a global thread IMO. Eg. NY seems to be closely mirroring UK death rates ATM. So I am posting this in this thread. Hope that is correct.

Can you give a little info about the counties around you? I just would like to know about Sonoma more specifically.... do you see relatively low numbers so far in your surrounding counties???

I've been using this site to check for specific California counties:

COVID-19/Coronavirus Live Updates With Credible Sources in US and Canada | 1Point3Acres

Click on California and then the dropdown to see county-by-county

Plus checking the local newspaper will keep you relatively informed. Here's a Sonoma newspaper: Home, Sonoma Index-Tribune, Sonoma News, Entertainment, Sports, Real Estate, Events, Photos, Sonoma, CA

I posted on this several times and posts just disappeared. I guess maybe they were moved somewhere?

If you click on the alerts button at the top right, it will tell you where it went. I'd guess it went to New York/New Jersey. I posted about a hoarder who was arrested and spat at the FBI (just not a good idea) and it was zapped to NY/NJ within minutes.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dany998