Coronavirus COVID-19 - Global Health Pandemic #44

Welcome to Websleuths!
Click to learn how to make a missing person's thread

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
I know you've gotten several replies about zinc, but I found this. I assume with this virus we need all the t-cells our body can get. IMO

The agency reports zinc allows the body to produce and activate T-cells (t-lymphocytes), which are some of the white blood cells that respond to infections.

Can Zinc Lozenges Ward Off Coronavirus? - MedicineNet Health News

Early on there was an excellent list here of things to get from the pharmacy via a doctor, and these were on that list. I got some.

There was also some potentially warnings associated with zinc use, iirc.

Anyway, they’re in “the box”.

PM in intensive care as virus symptoms 'worsen'

Latest on the PM Boris Johnson.

_104759123_laurakuenssberg-nc.png

After very, very little information was shared today, the prime minister was taken into intensive care at around 19:00 BST.

We've been told he is still conscious, but his condition has worsened over the course of the afternoon.

And he has been moved to intensive care as a precaution in case he needs ventilation to get through this illness.

The statement from Downing Street makes clear he is receiving excellent care and he wants to thank all of the NHS staff.

But something important has changed, and he has felt it necessary to ask his foreign secretary to deputise for him where needs be.

That is a completely different message from what we have heard over the past 18 hours or so, where it was continually "the prime minister is in touch" and "he is in charge" - almost like everything is business as usual.

But clearly being in intensive care changes everything.

Last month, the prime minister's spokesman said if Mr Johnson was unwell and unable to work, Mr Raab, as the first secretary of state, would stand in.

It comes as the number of coronavirus hospital deaths in the UK reached 5,373 - an increase of 439 in a day.

The Department of Health and Social Care said there were now 51,608 confirmed coronavirus cases.

_110631991_jamesgallagher-nc.png

Intensive care is where doctors look after the sickest patients - his admission to ICU is the clearest indication of how ill the prime minister is.

We do not know the full details of Mr Johnson's condition, but he is conscious and not being ventilated.

Not every patient in intensive care is ventilated, but around two-thirds are within 24 hours of admission with Covid-19.

This is a disease that attacks the lungs and can cause pneumonia and difficulty breathing.

This leaves the body struggling to get enough oxygen into the blood and to the body's vital organs.

There is no proven drug treatment for Covid-19, although there are many experimental candidates.

But the cornerstone of the prime minister's care will depend on getting enough oxygen into his body and supporting his other organs while his immune system fights the virus.

I'll go with the Infectious Disease people over the Radiology people in this case (and Stanford is advising a different means of diagnosis, even though they have the tech).

Swabs work and rapid response tests also work. For diagnosing pneumonia secondary to CoVid, I'm sure a chest picture is indicated.

Experienced nurses and doctors are pretty good at diagnosing pneumonia with a stethoscope.

It's actually Acute Adult Respiratory Distress syndrome rather than pneumonia that is the effect of SARS-CoV-2.

Different pathogenesis. Less favorable outcome than most pneumonia's.

Sky News understands that the Prime Minister had breathing difficulties and was given oxygen before going into intensive care but is not on a ventilator

Sky News Breaking on Twitter

And ICU has the equipment to monitor cardiac output, blood gases, and other respiratory functions that would not be available to him quarantined at home. Important prognosticators of the severity of his disease.

From my reading, Zinc should only be taken at the beginning of cold/flu symptoms and should not be taken regularly as a prophylactic.

"The US Food and Drug Administration (FDA) issued a public health advisory advising that over-the-counter zinc-containing intranasal products (Zicam) should not be used because of multiple reports of permanent anosmia [23]. Zinc is also available in a homeopathic preparation as intranasal zinc gluconate for the treatment and prevention for colds. This formulation has also been found to cause hyposmia and anosmia [24]. Zinc sulfate preparations that are syrup or lozenges seem to be better tolerated than some tablet forms" From FDA bulletin
Mine are just lozenges.

Coronavirus: Prime Minister Boris Johnson moved to intensive care after condition worsens

[..]
It is understood the decision to move the prime minister to intensive care around 7pm on Monday.

This came shortly after Mr Raab had said, at the government's daily coronavirus briefing, that Mr Johnson was in "good spirits" after spending a "comfortable" night in hospital.

St Thomas' is across the River Thames from the Houses of Parliament.

Mr Johnson did not travel to the hospital by ambulance on Sunday night but travelled the short distance from Downing Street by "private transportation", the prime minister's official spokesman revealed earlier on Monday.

The prime minister's pregnant fiancee Carrie Symonds revealed at the weekend she spent a week in bed with coronavirus symptoms.

Mr Raab said there was an "incredibly strong team spirit" behind Mr Johnson, as he prepared to assume some of the prime minister's duties on Monday night.

[..]

"The NHS, particularly at this moment, doesn't give up intensive care beds just for people to be looked over - it doesn't work like that, even for prime ministers," he added.

"He would not be in intensive care unless he needed to be in intensive care, especially not at this time."

I really like Cuomo, but if this is appearing on the front page of my run of the mill pc/mediocre internet connection, his aides have seen it. And it was posted before his presser began.
Early on there was an excellent list here of things to get from the pharmacy via a doctor, and these were on that list. I got some.

There was also some potentially warnings associated with zinc use, iirc.

Anyway, they’re in “the box”.
do you know, by any chance where that list is...? I only popped to this thread a couple of weeks ago......

PM in intensive care as virus symptoms 'worsen'

Latest on the PM Boris Johnson.

_104759123_laurakuenssberg-nc.png

After very, very little information was shared today, the prime minister was taken into intensive care at around 19:00 BST.

We've been told he is still conscious, but his condition has worsened over the course of the afternoon.

And he has been moved to intensive care as a precaution in case he needs ventilation to get through this illness.

The statement from Downing Street makes clear he is receiving excellent care and he wants to thank all of the NHS staff.

But something important has changed, and he has felt it necessary to ask his foreign secretary to deputise for him where needs be.

That is a completely different message from what we have heard over the past 18 hours or so, where it was continually "the prime minister is in touch" and "he is in charge" - almost like everything is business as usual.

But clearly being in intensive care changes everything.

Last month, the prime minister's spokesman said if Mr Johnson was unwell and unable to work, Mr Raab, as the first secretary of state, would stand in.

It comes as the number of coronavirus hospital deaths in the UK reached 5,373 - an increase of 439 in a day.

The Department of Health and Social Care said there were now 51,608 confirmed coronavirus cases.

_110631991_jamesgallagher-nc.png

Intensive care is where doctors look after the sickest patients - his admission to ICU is the clearest indication of how ill the prime minister is.

We do not know the full details of Mr Johnson's condition, but he is conscious and not being ventilated.

Not every patient in intensive care is ventilated, but around two-thirds are within 24 hours of admission with Covid-19.

This is a disease that attacks the lungs and can cause pneumonia and difficulty breathing.

This leaves the body struggling to get enough oxygen into the blood and to the body's vital organs.

There is no proven drug treatment for Covid-19, although there are many experimental candidates.

But the cornerstone of the prime minister's care will depend on getting enough oxygen into his body and supporting his other organs while his immune system fights the virus.

Omg this is sickening.

:(

Please pull through.

I spoke with a friend, a nurse on the south coast, and she seemed much concerned about HMQ.

they normally lie through their teeth about this stuff until they have to tell the truth as well, so if they are saying "he's all good" i wouldn't take that for granted either GSTQ

i hope he pulls through i am not sure the brittish public could take such a tradgety at a time like this, i don't like or hate borris but i don't want the leader of the commonwealth to die either

Her Maj is fine - it is the PM Boris Johnson who is in ICU. God Bless him and Save Him. Anyone know how long they spend in ICU before any improvement could be expected?

From my vet friend -
the chances of getting out of icu are slim, about 10% make it as they only take the worst. On average they die within 3 weeks or survive after 3 weeks.

I so hope he can pull through.

Her Maj is fine - it is the PM Boris Johnson who is in ICU. God Bless him and Save Him. Anyone know how long they spend in ICU before any improvement could be expected?
Yes, she told me about BoJo some minutes before I saw it on BBC. She then expressed concern, as I said, for HMQ.

Doubtful, as the Queen recorded it last week, Boris was still running the country while in isolation and clapping the NHS from his doorstep on Thursday night. I think it was Friday when he released a video update (though I admit I've totally lost track of time scales!)
i agree.... it is just a tragic coincidence in my mind.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Stewsj