Coronavirus COVID-19 - Global Health Pandemic #44

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.

Four Qantas flight crew who were exempt from 14-day hotel quarantine test positive for coronavirus - with fears they've exposed hundreds of others

Jackson Barron For Daily Mail Australia
4 hrs ago

Four Qantas flight crew tested positive for coronavirus after being exempt from hotel quarantine measures when they returned from Chile.

The crew travelled from Santiago to Sydney during a a repatriation flight on March 29, but unlike their passengers, they were not taken to hotels for mandatory 14-day quarantine.

Airline crew are not required to isolate after returning from overseas and are allowed to go home to their families thanks to a grant from the Australian Health Protection Principal Committee.
It is feared the crew may have spread the deadly virus to their family members, other Qantas staff or the public since their return.

Professor Mary-Louise McLaws from the World Health Organisation's COVID-19 expert advisory panel told The Sydney Morning Herald quarantine exemptions for airline crew didn't make sense.

'For cabin crew it makes no logical sense to give them an exemption when they are having close contact with passengers who are then required to go into isolation under supervision,' she said.

Coronavirus: new figures on intensive care deaths revealed

This recent Guardian article has around a 50% survival rate. Based on 165 people in ICUs.

"Detailed insight into the profile and outcome for patients placed in intensive care after being infected with Covid-19 has been revealed in a new report.

Data from the Intensive Care National Audit and Research Centre (ICNARC) showed that of 165 patients treated in critical care in England, Wales and Northern Ireland since the end of February, 79 died, while 86 survived and were discharged"

If you look at the photo (scroll down) of Boris in the above linked article, you'll see those "diagnostic" IMO eyes: A darkening of the skin under and around the eye. I'm fascinated with this symptom. Any ideas on what is causing that?

During the 1918 pandemic, one of the symptoms was that those infected were perceiving colors differently or not at all, IMO. Apparently, the virus had a tendency to attack the optic nerve. At least that was their hypothesis in 1918.

It's actually Acute Adult Respiratory Distress syndrome rather than pneumonia that is the effect of SARS-CoV-2.

Different pathogenesis. Less favorable outcome than most pneumonia's.

I know that.

However, one reason people can't breathe is pneumonia. In fact, it may be one of the main reasons.

CoVid itself may have a different method of disrupting oxygen in the body. Pneumonia secondary to CoVId is a major reason for people to be put on ventilators.

CoVid is very co-morbid with pneumonia. That's why the front line of therapy includes Z-pac and no other drugs have been as effective as Z-pacs (at this point).

I am completely aware and have been constantly posting about the actual mechanism of this pathogen.

To say it has a "less favorable outcome" than pneumonia is a great understatement.

Are you trying to say that CoVid doesn't increase the chances of pneumonia or that CoVid does not, in fact, increase chances of pneumonia? They rise in morbidity together - they are co-morbid.

I am pretty sure that supermarket's employees aren't too happy either. Slower deliveries are to be expected if demand is going through the roof.

Amazon has a huge banner on their pages saying that certain supplies get shipped more quickly. They call it "things people need." We have had pretty good service. We've managed to get all our vitamins, and a bunch of other needed things as quickly as usual.

Of course, some things are out of stock.

This is what I am going through with my husband and son.

My husband's side job for 12 yrs is with Costco. He has used his weeks of sick leave and vacation pay and now he is at the deciding part if he should return. As far as we know, no employee has tested positive and the store is not closing. People need to get food, necessities.

At the end of February, he started telling me that bread and cases of water were sold out during his shift. I asked him if we were having a snow storm.
Then more of a same item was wiped out. Then the TP, He saw what was leaving the store and the amount of items because he works the door.

My son has been with his company for less than a year. First job since graduation, he is a chemist. One employee tested positive and they closed for one day while the building was extensively cleaned. Two weeks later another employee tested positive and they repeated the process again last Friday.

I am also worried about him because his thoracic surgeon told us he has blebs all over his lungs. He had two surgeries for spontaneous pneumothorax.

I work at an “essential” hardware store. I’m older and take care of elderly parents. In Feb. I recommended ordering more masks, sanitizers, etc. I was labeled paranoid. By early March we had sold out with no more available to order.
Employees had no protection or direction from owners (who no longer came to stores as it was “too dangerous”). No temps were taken, we had sold supply of gloves, masks and sanitizers. The owners were slow to act on gov recommendations.
The managers were hit or miss ons safety implementation in the franchise depending on, idk, their level of education?
I chose to stay home as did other workers 60+ No pay no unemployment.
I fear for my coworkers who remain. THEY have taken it upon themselves to mark distance and limit shoppers etc.
People keep coming in to “browse” because we are open. They come in to “escape from the wife and we are open”. They bring their kids and let them run around. They buy fertilizer, birdseed, mulch. Rarely for emergency items like broken pipe repairs etc. Not essentials because there are none.

Amazon has a huge banner on their pages saying that certain supplies get shipped more quickly. They call it "things people need." We have had pretty good service. We've managed to get all our vitamins, and a bunch of other needed things as quickly as usual.

Of course, some things are out of stock.
I am pretty much getting all my stuff through amazon right now. I feel it's a lot safer than going to the supermarket. At least I am not coming in contact with multiple people. Especially considering proper PPE that would protect people from covid such as N95 respirators are pretty much impossible to purchase right now.

If you look at the photo (scroll down) of Boris in the above linked article, you'll see those "diagnostic" IMO eyes: A darkening of the skin under and around the eye. I'm fascinated with this symptom. Any ideas on what is causing that?

During the 1918 pandemic, one of the symptoms was that those infected were perceiving colors differently or not at all, IMO. Apparently, the virus had a tendency to attack the optic nerve. At least that was their hypothesis in 1918.

A lot of nurses are posting about this eye issue (doctors tend not to be so active on public forums). A red rim on the lower lid is mentioned a lot, and of course, another early symptom is loss of smell (olfactory loss in the medical literature if anyone wants to research it). My sense of smell isn't so great in the first place, but I'm testing it a couple of times a day out of curiosity

I totally agree.

I also believe they are trying to downplay the seriousness of it so the citizens will not panic.

Its just so heartbreaking, and knowing he has a little baby to be born soon makes it even sadder if possible.

Jmho

Plus, of course, we now know that babies can be born with it and that babies do not have much immunity.

Lots of "if only" scenarios here. I hope other pregnant women take heed and that everyone who continues to circulate in public stays away from other vulnerable persons. Here in California, families are renting small trailers to house their "essential worker" so that person doesn't infect everyone else if they get it.

Coronavirus: new figures on intensive care deaths revealed

This recent Guardian article has around a 50% survival rate. Based on 165 people in ICUs.

"Detailed insight into the profile and outcome for patients placed in intensive care after being infected with Covid-19 has been revealed in a new report.

Data from the Intensive Care National Audit and Research Centre (ICNARC) showed that of 165 patients treated in critical care in England, Wales and Northern Ireland since the end of February, 79 died, while 86 survived and were discharged"

From my point of view, studies done in an early segment of the outbreak are not typical and not to be used as indicative of overall survival rates after intubation.

In the study you cited, about half of the people were discharged from the hospital (because they were admitted early in the game). It would be very, very different if you looked at New York.

At the epicenter of the virus in WA, the "red eyes" were deemed the most significant
sign of those dying from the virus.

Washington coronavirus: Care home nurse tells of sudden ways the virus struck her patients - CNN

I am pretty much getting all my stuff through amazon right now. I feel it's a lot safer than going to the supermarket. At least I am not coming in contact with multiple people.

Same here. I live someplace where the rate of CV is very low (we've tested about 4000 people who had cold symptoms, only 5% had CV19). Amazon drivers have masks here.

We unbox on the front porch, husband washes hands, etc, then depending on what it is, we stick it in the sunroom for a while.

We are very glad that if we are locked down until mid-May (which looks like a real possibility as there will be waves to surf after this thing has crested)...we should be able to get basic staples from Amazon. Whole Foods delivery is just not happening right now.

Last instacart was canceled, we will see how this week goes. We're jonesing for some mangos and grapes.

Briefing by Governor DeWine of Ohio and health director Dr. Acton saying by mid-week they will have update on apex for Ohio. But Dr. Acton did say that they expect Ohio's apex to be between the end of April and May 5th, will have more clarity mid-week.

She said we need to double down- " don't let this virus own us."
She also said that the mitigation Ohio residents are doing is working - the stay-at-home order is now until May 1st, and she said "the impact is profound." We can't stop.

DeWine reported on the federal prison in Columbiana, where they are sending in the National Guard medical staff to help out, as there is a serious outbreak of COVID-19 there, with three deaths.
With regard to Ohio prisons, he said they are working with judges and parole boards to review cases to see who can be released, he said they would not release sex offenders and other violent prisoners.

The director of the Ohio Department of Transportation said that rest stops are staying open across the state for truckers as we need to help them keep the supply chain open.

The Lt. Governor, Jon Husted, spoke about the dispute resolution commission that is now working to hear cases that involve businesses that are not classified as essential in one county but in another county their health department has classified them as essential. He said there are businesses that work across the state and that these conflicting orders need to be resolved.

Lots of other things discussed, but will know more mid-week about what actual projections are for Ohio, not just projections from modeling.

I hope people remember that by the time most people spike a fever, they've been shedding virus for up to 2 weeks...and will continue to do so throughout their acute phase, and for an unknown time afterward.

Watching beautiful Washington state carefully as they will provide much needed data on the uncharted territory of how to manage this, after the peak and plateau.

Same here. I live someplace where the rate of CV is very low (we've tested about 4000 people who had cold symptoms, only 5% had CV19). Amazon drivers have masks here.

We unbox on the front porch, husband washes hands, etc, then depending on what it is, we stick it in the sunroom for a while.

We are very glad that if we are locked down until mid-May (which looks like a real possibility as there will be waves to surf after this thing has crested)...we should be able to get basic staples from Amazon. Whole Foods delivery is just not happening right now.

Last instacart was canceled, we will see how this week goes. We're jonesing for some mangos and grapes.
I am getting Whole Foods delivery through amazon prime. In fact I am expecting one today. I load up my cart and then keep checking for an open delivery window becoming available. Last time I looked through my peephole delivery person was wearing a mask and gloves.

Ohio Governor also said that he welcomes snowbirds back to Ohio, but they have to self-isolate for 14 days and get someone else to get them food when they first return or order food, not to go out to the grocery stores. ODOT (Ohio Dept of Transportation) has put up signs on the highways that tell them to self-isolate for 14 days.

He also has mandated that all stores in Ohio that are open as essential businesses must post the number of people allowed into the store to shop at one time, and they must keep track of this. The number posted should be commensurate with directives of social distancing.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Rav17en