Coronavirus COVID-19 - Global Health Pandemic #48

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
Looked to me like people at the beach were distancing. Families were together- but that was about it. I didn't see globs of strangers in close distance.

I saw one of the Florida officials just now
on FNN, and he gave a stern warning to the beach goers.

He said it will depend on them if the beaches remain open. If they dont abide by the social distancing rule then they could close again.

I'm sure they will be patrolling the beaches more often than normal.

Jmho

Good morning all. I've been off the main thread for a while. Stuff in our household to deal with. DH tested positive and we (myself, daughter and SIL) have been all-consumed taking care of him. It was worrisome as he is diabetic and also takes BP medication. But, at day 14, he is doing much much better and we are just very grateful for whatever magic has been going on to lessen the stress during all this. He never had extreme symptoms and only had a fever the first few days...as his doctor originally thought it was the flu. So it goes right?

This is a good article for those who are living together with family. I find it informative for moving forward with DH and the rest of us.

Saving Your Health, One Mask at a Time

Last edited:
If it didn’t, we would not have to use care in how we remove our masks, being careful not to touch the outside, and we would not have to wash those masks. Yet we’ve devoted page after page to dealing with cloth masks.
I was referring to being infected from park bench to clothing to face even after washing hands.

Looked to me like people at the beach were distancing. Families were together- but that was about it. I didn't see globs of strangers in close distance.
I saw some interviews and the people on the beach said not much social distancing was happening. Many had towels and coolers which wasn't allowed. Reporter saw a cop ask one couple to leave who had a towel/cooler, but thought it happened after he realized she was a reporter...

Emerging Infections: What Have We Learned from SARS?

“Given the current size and mobility of the human population, emerging diseases pose a continuing threat to global health. This threat became reality with the outbreak of severe acute respiratory syndrome (SARS). The emergence of a disease requires two steps: introduction into the human population and perpetuated transmission. Although preventing the introduction of a new disease is ideal, containing a zoonosis is a necessity. The lessons that we have learned from SARS were the topic of a meeting of The Royal Society on January 13, 2004, in London, England.

Zoonoses are responsible for most emerging infectious diseases, including infections caused by Ebola virus, West Nile virus, monkeypox, hantavirus, HIV, and new subtypes of influenza A. In the case of SARS coronavirus (SARS-CoV), serologic evidence indicates that the virus was spread through interspecies transmission from wild game markets in Guangdong, China (Malik Peiris, University of Hong Kong). This finding led to bans in the wild meat trade from Nan Shan Zhong (Guangzhou Respiratory Disease Research Institute) similar to the ban on eating nervous system tissue from cows that was implemented after new variant Creutzfeldt-Jakob disease emerged in Britain.

Ecologic changes, concomitant with increasing contact between humans and animal disease reservoirs, contribute to zoonoses. The emergence of SARS was facilitated by increased contact between people and animal disease reservoirs as the wild meat industry expanded recently. Global warming will likely contribute to the spread of dengue beyond tropical regions (Tony McMichael, National Centre for Epidemiology and Population Health, Canberra, Australia). Habitat fragmentation by deforestation may increase the contact between people and reservoir species. For example, hemorrhagic fever virus has been linked to deforestation in South America.”........

[...]

“Population heterogeneity and the network structure of human interactions will affect the spread of an emerging disease. In the 2003 SARS outbreak, healthcare workers were at particular risk (8) and acted as bridges carrying the infection from the hospital and causing community wide epidemics. High-risk "core groups" have been a major focus of HIV/AIDS models for years (9), but the movement of SARS patients into the core (i.e., the hospital) adds a further complication (3).

The two waves of SARS clusters in Toronto (Robert Maunder, Mount Sinai Hospital, Toronto) highlight the need for surveillance even after an outbreak appears extinguished. Management of the SARS epidemic also demonstrated that public service infrastructure, which affords the greatest chance of success (3), is essential to the rapid containment of an outbreak. In areas most affected, contact tracing was important (10). In Guangdong, police departments tracked down contacts of infected persons, who were then followed up for 10 days after exposure. Evaluating the surge capacity of public health services and hospitals is one way to assess the preparedness of a medical system.”

—-

Hmmm, so that article is from 2004, & mentions Guangdong.

Interesting.

Guangdong had a lot of CV cases too, just behind Hubei iirc.

—-

Hmmm:
Coronavirus - Global Health Emergency, 2019-nCoV #3

Seems I noted something about a market here in Guangdong, etc. on Feb. 9...hmmm Noting to review zzz goodnight

Noting this :

"In the case of SARS coronavirus (SARS-CoV), serologic evidence indicates that the virus was spread through interspecies transmission from wild game markets in Guangdong, China (Malik Peiris, University of Hong Kong). This finding led to bans in the wild meat trade from Nan Shan Zhong (Guangzhou Respiratory Disease Research Institute) similar to the ban on eating nervous system tissue from cows that was implemented after new variant Creutzfeldt-Jakob disease emerged in Britain."

If it was banned when we had SARS, why are they still doing the wild meat trade?

Regarding BSE, this was a disease called Scrapie, that was already in sheep. This jumped species due to the human practice of putting some sheep products into cattle feed. Fish meal had also been put into animal feed for many years. So these viruses jumping species usually have a human intervention somewhere IMO

What needs to happen is for China to find out exactly what that human intervention was, exactly, and prevent it from happening a third time. Each time so far has been much worse and China deaths are nothing compared to other countries. Now why is that exactly? I know they locked down but it seems that was too late. And this was much deadlier than SARS. So what should world leaders now do to put pressure on China?

MOO

I am with you Kensie and it is getting easier every day.

For me, it is getting too easy. I am also an introvert, and have social anxiety. I take a small Xanax to go bowling!:eek:

I've been working hard on dealing with it, making progress ~ but now I'm backsliding. Told DH I'll have agoraphobia before we're done with this.

I saw one of the Florida officials just now
on FNN, and he gave a stern warning to the beach goers.

He said it will depend on them if the beaches remain open. If they dont abide by the social distancing rule then they could close again.

I'm sure they will be patrolling the beaches more often than normal.

Jmho
That brings up an interesting topic. Could it have been more efficient to leave the beach closed so that police could help the vulnerable instead of managing crowd control at a beach?

I had to have my old cat euthanized this past week. For the most part, the vet's office handled things well under the circumstances. They are making people wait in their car with their pet until an exam room is free then they call you on your cell phone. I was offered a mask and gloves at the entrance. The vet tech and the vet wore masks as well. The person who greeted me at the door (they keep it locked) and walked me to the back did not, which irked me a little.

The tech put in a really long IV line so the vet didn't have to get close to me or my cat to do the injections. I was in and out really quickly. :(

This website has changed a bit. Now, in addition to predicting the peak resource usage date, it also gives a date of when each state might be able to start opening. My state is a month away from that, according to this.

IHME | COVID-19 Projections
I found this one. It doesnt measure resources but I think it gives a better forecast of the curve. As well provides a curve by county.
The IHME seems to have more favorable results than whst is actually happening.

Oliver Wyman COVID-19 Pandemic Navigator

I saw some interviews and the people on the beach said not much social distancing was happening. Many had towels and coolers which wasn't allowed. Reporter saw a cop ask one couple to leave who had a towel/cooler, but thought it happened after he realized she was a reporter...
Mayor messed up. Did not list the no coolers etc until later. Only cnn had someone who said their was less than stellar social distancing. Local news gives much better video of actual activity

That brings up an interesting topic. Could it have been more efficient to leave the beach closed so that police could help the vulnerable instead of managing crowd control at a beach?
It is an expense for the city to pay to police the beaches. But maybe that city's budget can handle it? Not all places can right now.

I'll be angry if people don't abide by the social distancing rules.

It's cruel to others if people wreck the opportunity to be at the beach out of "can't tell me what to do" attitude. Fingers crossed people will be thoughtful, not selfish.

jmo

I had to have my old cat euthanized this past week. For the most part, the vet's office handled things well under the circumstances. They are making people wait in their car with their pet until an exam room is free then they call you on your cell phone. I was offered a mask and gloves at the entrance. The vet tech and the vet wore masks as well. The person who greeted me at the door (they keep it locked) and walked me to the back did not, which irked me a little.

The tech put in a really long IV line so the vet didn't have to get close to me or my cat to do the injections. I was in and out really quickly. :(
I’m sorry. That’s much like my recent experience of the same thing except that my vet did not use a long IV line, so we were pretty close to each other. It’s an extra horrible thing to have to deal with at this time.

]

definitely
my mom gardened, had a cold cellar for canning, reused plastic bags before it was fashionable etc.
all learned behaviours from the Great Depression
My grandmother had a very large cold cellar back room off the kitchen. I loved to wander in there. She has a wringer washing machine, so much canning and jarring. And she had this one box I loved labelled "string too short to do anything with" I kept thinking she thought the "future" would find a purpose.

I found this one. It doesnt measure resources but I think it gives a better forecast of the curve. As well provides a curve by county.
The IHME seems to have more favorable results than whst is actually happening.

Oliver Wyman COVID-19 Pandemic Navigator
This doesn’t give very much information, though. I wish it did. All I see for my state is two graphs.

Changes in US Data following new CDC guidelines on "Case" and "Death" definition (April 14, 2020) - Worldometer

Following new CDC guidelines: "As of April 14, 2020, CDC case counts and death counts include both confirmed and probable cases and deaths. This change was made to reflect an interim COVID-19 position statement issued by the Council for State and Territorial Epidemiologists on April 5, 2020. The position statement included a case definition and made COVID-19 a nationally notifiable disease.

On April 15, in the daily press briefing, New York Governor Cuomo said that "we will begin reporting all categories of fatalities pursuant to new CDC guidelines and are contacting facilities to get updated numbers." He also added that there may be additional people who died that have not been counted because not in a hospital. In the April 15 update, the New York State Department of Health official website had still not included (nor reported separately) the additional "probable" deaths reported by New York City the day before. On April 16, when asked about the issue, New York State officials commented on their decision to not add the New York City probable deaths in the official State count saying that probable deaths have been reported by New York City in a new and separate category, without adding the two numbers (confirmed and probable) together into a single category.

The state of Ohio is an example of a state that has started reporting total cases and deaths correctly, in accordance with the new CDC guidelines. On its "Overview dashboard" it show total cases and total deaths, while also providing the breakdown between confirmed and probable, with the note "CDC Expanded Case Definition (Probable)" and "CDC Expanded Death Definition (Probable)."

*more to read at link*

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member