Coronavirus COVID-19 - Global Health Pandemic #49

Welcome to Websleuths!
Click to learn how to make a missing person's thread

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
Cuomo also continues to add new restrictions and rules. Last week, wearing a face mask in public went from a suggestion to a requirement. It’ll be up to places like Wegmans and Tops to refuse entry to anyone with an uncovered face.

That could be a precursor for reopening the state. By conditioning people to wear masks now, they’ll be a little safer when public places become more crowded.
More:
Coronavirus in NY: Cases, maps, charts and resources

Coronavirus shutdown drops a bomb on Central New York workers: ‘I am terrified’

Coronavirus in NY could be ‘past the plateau’ as daily deaths drop below 600

Wegmans, Tops say all customers must wear a mask to enter stores

Coronavirus in New York - syracuse.com

We’ve flattened the CNY coronavirus curve, but what now? (Where we stand after 34 days)

@katydid23 I saw photos of the demonstrators in Michigan and they were not observing social distancing at all and even brought children. I haven’t researched the rules in Michigan for myself, so I will take your word for it about the seeds and plants. It does sound strange.

But here’s the thing. We are starting to have protests in Oregon and we do not have those restrictions. We have a stay-at-home order. We do have businesses closed that cannot do their work with social distancing. That includes my hairdresser. This link below is the governor’s order:

Oregon.gov: NewsDetail

The other links describe the protest already held and the ones to come. They are protesting the stay-at-home order as unconstitutional and trying to go back to work...in a state with cases increasing, but not as fast as they could have if no restrictions were made. I do understand the frustration of those who can’t work. The Oregon Governor has issued orders regarding eviction and wage garnishment to protect those who cannot work. She will open up the state as soon as possible in stages, with rural areas possibly opening sooner than others.

Gov. Kate Brown explains her approach to lifting stay-home restrictions: Live update recap

These are widespread protests that are not just ostensibly about seeds and church in cars as in Michigan. This is an orchestrated protest against social distancing, about having to stay home and about the economy...in numerous states, even in states like Utah without a stay-at-home order.

From the first link below:

Right-wing groups have planned events May 1 and 2 at the Oregon Capitol in Salem to protest Gov. Kate Brown's stay-home order to slow the spread of COVID-19.

The Oregon March for Freedom, hosted by American Revolution 2.0, and a Reopen Oregon rally, hosted by Oregon Uniting for Liberty, both argue that the governor's stay-home order is unconstitutional and a violation of civil liberties. They decry "unconstitutional laws and mandates, starting with the Executive Orders for lockdowns."

Right-Wing Protesters Are Planning “Reopen America” Rallies at State Capitols in Oregon and Washington

https://www.usnews.com/news/best-st...protest-oregons-stay-at-home-order-at-capitol

Across America, Frustrated Protesters Rally To Reopen The Economy

https://ktvl.com/news/local/dozens-protest-oregons-stay-at-home-order-at-capitol?fbclid=IwAR16QBpyumj_xGc6b64O4ae2sfpOIUyAP08j1LV6ueXGG-VN5RhxeplROr4

[URL="https://ktvz.com/news/2020/04/17/protest-planned-in-redmond-against-stay-at-home-order/"]More than 200 gather in Redmond to protest stay-at-home order - KTVZ

[/URL]

https://nypost.com/2020/04/17/pastor-urges-people-to-donate-stimulus-checks-to-church/

Louisiana pastor urges people to donate stimulus checks to church

The Rev. Tony Spell is imploring followers to join a new online challenge he dubbed the #PastorSpellStimulusChallenge because churches have been starved of “offerings” amid the pandemic, he said in a video posted to YouTube on Wednesday.

“Donate it to evangelists, North American evangelists who haven’t had an offering in a month; missionaries, who haven’t had an offering in a month; music ministers, who haven’t had an offering in a month,” Spell, of Baton Rouge, says in the video.

If those protesters do get covid due to their ignoring of social distancing, I sure hope they turn down treatment.
Save that ventilator for someone else.

It would be interesting to see if they accept responsibility for their actions that exposed them to the coronavirus. That doesn’t mean (to me) that they should refuse treatment, but they ought to think twice about who deserves a ventilator. JMO

There was an outbreak in Toronto, but that seemed far away even for those living in Canada. It seemed contained, and not that contagious except in hospitals.

I have a FB friend in Toronto (I’m in Australia) and her husband had SARS. He survived but was REALLY sick for a really long time. It was awful.

I travel in Asia and many airports have had heat scanners ever since that time. I was also in Seoul during the MERS outbreak in 2015. I didn’t really have much of an understanding of epidemics back then, so was recently shocked to learn the mortality rate of MERS was 34.4%. Now that is “wow”. But not nearly as contagious as the novel coronavirus.

Here is a photo I took of the MERS info van set up in Myeongdong:

Attachments

• 7D621F03-1FAC-4F70-85F1-3A4CA482BF5F.jpeg
    7D621F03-1FAC-4F70-85F1-3A4CA482BF5F.jpeg
    227.6 KB · Views: 39
https://nypost.com/2020/04/17/pastor-urges-people-to-donate-stimulus-checks-to-church/

Louisiana pastor urges people to donate stimulus checks to church

The Rev. Tony Spell is imploring followers to join a new online challenge he dubbed the #PastorSpellStimulusChallenge because churches have been starved of “offerings” amid the pandemic, he said in a video posted to YouTube on Wednesday.

“Donate it to evangelists, North American evangelists who haven’t had an offering in a month; missionaries, who haven’t had an offering in a month; music ministers, who haven’t had an offering in a month,” Spell, of Baton Rouge, says in the video.

Of course he’s begging for money. But what about his followers who have been “starved” of an income for a month? Shameless.

Those pre-existing conditions such as diabetes don't mean people are going to die this year. One can live for years and years with diabetes. Well into old age. Unless you get covid, of course.
That's why they are being shielded by the restrictions.

@katydid23 I saw photos of the demonstrators in Michigan and they were not observing social distancing at all and even brought children. I haven’t researched the rules in Michigan for myself, so I will take your word for it about the seeds and plants. It does sound strange.

But here’s the thing. We are starting to have protests in Oregon and we do not have those restrictions. We have a stay-at-home order. We do have businesses closed that cannot do their work with social distancing. That includes my hairdresser. This link below is the governor’s order:

Oregon.gov: NewsDetail

The other links describe the protest already held and the ones to come. They are protesting the stay-at-home order as unconstitutional and trying to go back to work...in a state with cases increasing, but not as fast as they could have if no restrictions were made. I do understand the frustration of those who can’t work. The Oregon Governor has issued orders regarding eviction and wage garnishment to protect those who cannot work. She will open up the state as soon as possible in stages, with rural areas possibly opening sooner than others.

Gov. Kate Brown explains her approach to lifting stay-home restrictions: Live update recap

These are widespread protests that are not just ostensibly about seeds and church in cars as in Michigan. This is an orchestrated protest against social distancing, about having to stay home and about the economy...in numerous states, even in states like Utah without a stay-at-home order.

From the first link below:

Right-wing groups have planned events May 1 and 2 at the Oregon Capitol in Salem to protest Gov. Kate Brown's stay-home order to slow the spread of COVID-19.

The Oregon March for Freedom, hosted by American Revolution 2.0, and a Reopen Oregon rally, hosted by Oregon Uniting for Liberty, both argue that the governor's stay-home order is unconstitutional and a violation of civil liberties. They decry "unconstitutional laws and mandates, starting with the Executive Orders for lockdowns."

Right-Wing Protesters Are Planning “Reopen America” Rallies at State Capitols in Oregon and Washington

https://www.usnews.com/news/best-st...protest-oregons-stay-at-home-order-at-capitol

Across America, Frustrated Protesters Rally To Reopen The Economy

Dozens protest Oregon's stay-at-home order at Capitol
More than 200 gather in Redmond to protest stay-at-home order - KTVZ

With the President advocating the reopening it is hard to criticise the protesters really.

Trump unveils plan to reopen states in phases

From the link

What is in the plan?

The administration's 18-page guidance document details three phases to reopen state economies, with each phase lasting, at minimum, 14 days. The guidelines in full can be seen here.

They include some recommendations across all three phases including good personal hygiene and employers developing policies to ensure social distancing, testing and contact tracing.

Phase one includes much of the current lockdown measures such as avoiding non-essential travel and not gathering in groups. But it says large venues such as restaurants, places of worship and sports venues "can operate under strict physical distancing protocols".

If there is no evidence of a resurgence of the coronavirus, phase two allows non-essential travel to resume. The guidance says schools can reopen and bars can operate "with diminished standing-room occupancy".

Under phase three, states which are still seeing a downward trend of symptoms and cases can allow "public interactions" with physical distancing and the unrestricted staffing of worksites. Visits to care homes and hospitals can resume and bars can increase their standing room capacity.

Some regions could begin returning to normal after a month-long evaluation period, at the earliest, according to the document.

In places where there are more infections or where rates begin to rise, it could take longer.

The co-ordinator of the White House coronavirus task force, Dr Deborah Birx, told Thursday's briefing that as states worked through the three phases, they could allow for more and more employees to return to work in increments.

Phase three would be the "new normal", she said, and would still include suggestions that vulnerable people should avoid crowded spaces.

p089m9gw.jpg

Media captionCoronavirus: The unexpected items deemed "essential"
What has Trump told governors?
The president has argued with governors in recent days about the timing of easing restrictions and reopening businesses - but he has now conceded that his powers are limited to issuing guidelines.

During Thursday's call, Mr Trump told governors: "You're going to call your own shots."

"You're going to be running it, we're going to be helping you," he added.

On Wednesday, White House coronavirus task force leader Vice-President Mike Pence said 24% of the counties in the US have had no reported coronavirus cases. He added that half of US states have fewer than 2,500 cases.

_111820471_uscases-nc.png

_97415642_007_in_numbers_624.png

The Trump administration had previously pencilled in 1 May as a possible date to reopen the nation, and on Wednesday Mr Trump said some states may be able to reopen earlier than that.

However, some health experts and state governors have cautioned against reopening the economy too soon.

On Tuesday, Dr Anthony Fauci, the government's top infectious disease expert, told AP news 1 May was "a bit overly optimistic" for many areas of the country, as a strong testing and tracing system would be needed before social distancing measures were lifted.

What have US governors said?
New York Governor Andrew Cuomo said on Thursday that his state would remain under stay-at-home orders until 15 May.

Officials in the state, which is the epicentre of the outbreak in the US, say the situation is showing signs of stabilising this week, though there are still hundreds of deaths daily.

The governors of Michigan, Ohio, Wisconsin, Minnesota, Illinois, Indiana and Kentucky have announced they will work together to reopen the region.

"We recognise that our economies are all reliant on each other, and we must work together to safely reopen them so hardworking people can get back to work and businesses can get back on their feet," they said in a statement on Thursday.

There was no timeline offered, but the governors said they planned to phase in sectors of the economy.

In Michigan, which has seen over 1,700 deaths due to the virus, there has been pushback against Governor Gretchen Whitmer's stringent lockdown measures.

On Wednesday, residents took to the streets after the governor announced the stay-at-home order would be extended.

p089mfz8.jpg

Media captionMichigan residents protest against governor's stay-at-home orders

What are other countries doing?
  • Germany is easing restrictions, shops may open as early as next week
  • Austria has reopened thousands of shops
  • France has extended its lockdown to 11 May
  • Italy is allowing limited number of shops to reopen in less-affected regions
  • India has extended its lockdown until 3 May
  • The UK has extended lockdown for at least three more weeks
  • Denmark has said it intends to ease its lockdown faster than originally planned
  • Spain has allowed some businesses to return to work
  • Poland will begin lifting restrictions this weekend

Last edited:
I don’t know much about much. One thing I do know is I have several preexisting conditions and health deficiencies making it way too easy for this monster cowardly virus to hide in my body quickly killing me. It doesn’t take an order from anyone for our family to use and practice proactive informed Covid-19 common sense. None of us want to die or infect others. No chances taken here.

I think some people are getting the wrong idea about what some of the protestors are trying to say.

I don't know anyone who is saying 'let's not have social distancing, let's not take precautions.'
For example:
Thousands protest Michigan governor's social distance order

The majority of demonstrators remained in their vehicles, and most of those who were on foot were practicing social distancing,” Banner said.

Four sheriffs in the northwestern Lower Peninsula called Whitmer’s orders a “vague framework of emergency laws” that are frustrating citizens. Leelanau County Sheriff Mike Borkovich said people don’t understand why they can’t take a child fishing in a motorboat but they can use a kayak.

“We’re trying to keep the peace with people. ... The economy is coming apart in northern Michigan. People are upset,” Borkovich told The Associated Press. “People are frantic to get back to work. They have been very edgy.”

The anger seemed to be about the way the governor made up her kind of haphazard regulations.

For example, the governor forbids citizens to purchase vegetable seeds or vegetable plants. Those things are there, in open stores, but are not able to be purchased because the governor says so.

But this is the proper time to plant garden seeds, right now. And because of the pandemic, many people feel they should start having an alternate food source in the immediate future. And they have plenty of time to prepare a garden right now.

So they ARE allowed to go into the hardware store or the box store to purchase some items, but they have to look at the tomato plants and seeds, and walk past, for some arbitrary decision by one woman. And she has not been able to say specifically WHY no one is allowed to buy veggie seeds now.

I cannot see the harm in allowing people to do that. The store is open, the cashiers are there, the citizens are there buying other items, so why not allow them to start gardens now?

The same thing with people being arrested or ticketed for being in their own cars, in a church parking lot, watching a livestream of a church service on a huge screen. WHY can't they sit in their cars and watch the service?

People are feeling that many of the rules are arbitrary and needlessly oppressive.

A father ticketed for playing catch in his front yard with his 2 kids? Is that necessary?

The protestors are not saying they don't want to flatten the curve. But they want some consideration in how this will be done. Why can a boater be allowed to take their kayak out on the lake but not allowed to take their kids out in a small fishing boat, to try and catch food?

Why can they buy liquor but not tomato seeds?

I think these are valid questions.

We want our economy to keep running, so why can't people purchase gardening supplies, or paint or tools to work on their property while they are locked down for 8 weeks? Seems it would greatly benefit the community in a few ways.

And if the customers wear masks and gloves they will not be putting others at any more risk than they do when purchasing food or medicines. JMO

Yes I don’t understand that either. I can see the frustration here. We (Australia) can buy seeds and plants and we are genuinely flattening the curve. A lot of our stores are still open and we are not restricted on what we can buy from any of them that are open. It really doesn’t make sense that a tomato plant is right there but you can’t buy it.

In my state, fishing and golfing are banned, and this is upsetting some people. But otherwise our lockdown is not quite as strict as what some of you are describing. Our schools are still open too for those whose parents have to work, otherwise you are encouraged to learn from home which basically everyone is choosing to do unless they have no choice.

I don’t know the exact specifics of the church service except from comments posted on here.

The church service was being live streamed on a huge screen that was set up so people could park in the church parking lot and listen on their radio. Is that correct?

Was the parking set up so no cars were in close proximity to each other? (1-2 spaces between each car) I don’t know the weather conditions so perhaps everyone had their windows rolled down and there were concerns people coughing or smoking or whatever would be carried by the breeze/wind/air if all cars were not widely spaced apart. Not parked typical where you have to maneuver to get out of your car.

No one allowed to get out of the car. That might be a tough one with kids especially the younger ones. Sitting in a car seat listening to a sermon for an extended period of time would be a tough task. Plus keeping them quiet if people had their windows down. Heck, it’s quite the challenge to get the grands to sit still in a big church pew for an hour much less in their car seats.

There was an issue with seeds at one of the stores here - there was just two displays and everyone was crowded trying to look at seeds. Touching, picking out, discarding various packets before making their choices.
So they moved them and let one person at a time go make their selection. And what you touch you buy. They had to move it out of the store into the garden center. My cousin said they had a hard time getting people to wait in line. But they made it work.

Just my thoughts.

Protestors demand an IMMEDIATE opening to all businesses.
Linking to Minnesota stay at home (requested from #48):
I live in MN so I know the restrictions. Link at bottom.

No dine in. Carry-out only. Most restaurants (IHOP, Denny's have signs to carry-out).
Essential businesses open (grocery stores, liquor stores, pharmacy)
Health clubs closed.
Schools closed, guessing through the year, but this has not been stated yet by the governor. Closed through May 18.
State parks facilities closed. Trails open.
Trails open all over. Many local playgrounds closed.
Interesting that we were in Texas for the winter. Texas has closed all state parks AND all state park trails.
Golf courses, fishing open.
Note that Best Buy headquarters are located in MN. 51,000 furloughed, BUT this is nationwide.
The Mall of America was not closed by the governor nor were local shopping centers. This was their decision. Kohl's closed stores - on their own. Target and Walmart are open. DQ is open (cannot sit inside). Dick's Sporting Goods closed on their own.

Permissible activities during the stay at home order include:
  • Health and safety activities, such as obtaining emergency services or medical supplies
  • Outdoor activities, such as walking pets, hiking, running, biking, hunting, or fishing
  • Necessary Supplies and Services, such as getting groceries, gasoline, or carry-out
  • Essential and interstate travel, such as returning to home from outside this state. To protect our neighbors, Minnesotans are encouraged to stay close to home and are strongly discouraged from engaging in unnecessary travel.
  • Care of others, such as caring for a family member, friend, or pet in another household
  • Displacement, such as moving between emergency or homeless shelters if you are without a home
  • Relocation to ensure safety, such as relocating to a different location if your home has been unsafe due to domestic violence, sanitation, or essential operations reasons
  • Tribal Activities & Lands, such as activities by members within the boundaries of their tribal reservations
  • Moving or Relocation, such as moving to a new home or place of residence
  • Voting, we encourage Minnesotans to vote and to do so by mail when possible
  • Funerals, provided that the gathering consists of no more than 10 attendees and the space utilized allows for social distancing (six feet spacing between people). Venues should make accommodations for remote attendance, if possible, for others. Individuals who are at high risk from COVID-19 are strongly encouraged to attend remotely."
In effect until May 13.
#StayHomeMN FAQ / Office of Governor Tim Walz and Lt. Governor Peggy Flanagan

That's basically the same as my state.

The funeral dilemma is interesting. We're now seeing "parades" from funeral homes to graveside services. No one can get out of their cars, but I guess it suffices for now. Jmo

Last edited:
Ireland's testing backlog cleared and Trump issues warning to China: Today's Covid-19 main points

(Ireland)

A FURTHER 41 people who contracted Covid-19 have died in Ireland, health officials have confirmed.

The Department of Health also confirmed yesterday that 630 new cases of Covid-19 have been recorded here, and 148 more cases from a testing backlog were confirmed by a lab in Germany.

The testing backlog has now been cleared, the HSE confirmed today.

The total number of confirmed cases of Covid-19 in Ireland stands at 14,758 and there have been 571 deaths overall.

Here are today’s Covid-19 main points:

• A further 41 deaths and 630 new cases have been confirmed in the Republic of Ireland, plus 148 positive cases from the March backlog.
  • Of the 571 people who have died in Ireland overall, 330 had been admitted to hospital and 46 were in intensive care.
  • Ireland’s testing backlog has now been cleared, HSE CEO Paul Reid has said.
  • Reid added that the acquisition of personal protective equipment (PPE) for healthcare workers remains “challenging” due to the global demand. The HSE has asked Chinese suppliers to consolidate deliveries into one large order worth €130 million. That delivery will include 7.5 million gloves, 2.5 million face shields, six million respirator masks, 10 million surgical masks and three million gloves.
  • Lifting restrictions on people’s movements will happen in a “slow and controlled manner”, the chairman of the Covid-19 expert advisory group has said.
  • The HSE has said an internal memo at a Dublin nursing home describing patients as ‘dirty’ was issued in error without any formal approval.
  • The Home Care Coalition, a group of 23 charities, has urged the Department of Health and the HSE to take immediate action to support people experiencing a stoppage in their home-care provision as a result of the Covid-19 outbreak, and to provide sufficient levels of PPE and other supports to home-care workers and family carers.
  • Oaklodge Nursing Home in Cloyne in Co Cork has become the first nursing home in Ireland to pilot remote temperature-checking software that can detect early Covid-19 warning symptoms in staff.
  • GAA broadcaster Mícheál Ó Muircheartaigh has launched an initiative by the Irish Society of Chartered Physiotherapists encouraging people who are cocooning to exercise if they can.
  • In our latest ‘Debunked’ article, we look at whether or not 2020 is a ‘normal’ year for deaths from respiratory illnesses.

This is from the same church encouraging people to donate their whole stimulus check. So how many other people congregating in here in hospital? Probably more after today with 27 buses coming in.

Louisiana lawyer hospitalized with COVID-19 less than 10 days after visiting controversial church | News Break

A Baton Rouge lawyer who visited Life Tabernacle Church on two occasions in early April was hospitalized with COVID-19 on April 16. Before he became ill, Jeff Wittenbrink, 59, was helping put together a legal defense of the church and its pastor on anticipated charges of defying Louisiana’s social-distancing order and its ban on large gatherings.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Kimmyann4141