Coronavirus COVID-19 - Global Health Pandemic #50

Welcome to Websleuths!
Click to learn how to make a missing person's thread

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
American returns to Wuhan amid coronavirus pandemic, says city only 20-30 percent open
News article on American expat who just returned to his home in Wuhan. Interviewer asks him about what people in Wuhan are saying about the possibility that the virus came from the Wuhan lab, he is evasive, which makes sense, he wouldn't be living in Wuhan much longer if he commented further, and his wife might be in some danger, along with her family.

O/T but the article mentions that they came to the U.S. to baptize their child. This must have been so that the paternal grandparents could be there. Otherwise they could just have had the child baptized in Wuhan. This happens every day in churches across China.

She got a forgivable loan. Her employees hate her for it.

Jamie Black-Lewis felt like she won the lottery after getting two forgivable loans through the Paycheck Protection Program.

Black-Lewis saw the $177,000 and $43,800 loans, one for each of the spas she owns in Washington state, as a lifeline she could use for payroll and other business expenses.

She’d halted pay for the 35 employees — including herself — at Oasis Medspa & Salon, in Woodinville, and Amai Day Spa, in Bothell, in mid-March, when nonessential businesses in Washington closed due to the coronavirus pandemic.
When Black-Lewis convened a virtual employee meeting to explain her good fortune, she expected jubilation and relief that paychecks would resume in full even though the staff — primarily hourly employees — couldn’t work.

She got a different reaction.

“It was a firestorm of hatred about the situation,” Black-Lewis said.
The anger came from employees who’d determined they’d make more money by collecting unemployment benefits than their normal paychecks.
It wasn’t just those on the lower end of the pay scale who were upset — even ones who would stand to make more money from their regular paychecks sided with lower earners, Black-Lewis said.

“They were pissed I’d take this opportunity away from them to make more for my own selfish greed to pay rent,” she said.
Sorry, but that sounds like a management and communication issue. Perhaps talking to the employees ahead of time would've helped smooth that out.

jmo

Air-conditioning spread the coronavirus to 9 people sitting near an infected person in a restaurant, researchers say. It has huge implications for the service industry.

Air-conditioning spread the coronavirus to 9 people sitting near an infected person in a restaurant, researchers say. It has huge implications for the service industry.
When a Covid positive patient is isolated in a room it is of the utmost importance that their germs stay only in their room and don't get out under, or through an opened door, thus contaminating the whole building.

Negative air pressure rooms are set up to facilitate this purpose. It's easy to set this up because all you need is an exhaust fan pulling air to the outside and regular air comes in under the door. This creates a negative pressure room. (A positive pressure room is when all air coming into a room is filtered.)

Hospitals prepare ‘negative-pressure rooms’ for COVID-19 patients

Schematic of a network of rooms where air (shown in blue) flows in one direction from the corridor into the negative pressure room (green). Exhaust air is safely removed from the area through a ventilation system.

Inside view of a negative pressure isolation chamber for patients with contagious diseases.

Last edited:
I am not talking about CEOS and executives. I am talking about businesses that need to keep running. Businesses who employ workers.

There are many mom and pop shops that are getting loans now too. I know a few whose loans are pending.

I am not saying 'America is most importantly' CEOS and corporations. Those are your words.

They're my words also. The amount of money these people make is obscene.

I watched a discussion on the News earlier regarding the 'recovered patients', who, at a routine follow up some 6-8 weeks since testing negative, and seemingly without any symptoms, tested positive again.. with at least 1 person found to still have live virus in the lungs!! In my opinion, what with any coughing, spluttering, projected from the lungs, that person should be deemed highly contagious. And more than likely would be defo capable of infecting others!
It makes one wonder.. Did these people come into contact with CV for a 2nd time?? We already know that anybody who has survived needing a ventilator is something of a miracle, since there is no actual treatment-cure available. Almost like the virus was hibernating! X

Actually, they already play the odds when they drive there - fatalities along the various routes to Vegas are higher than average.

But as to the virus, if the real overall mortality rate is 0.04 as some legitimate scientists say (and some say it's lower) to some people, that's an acceptable risk. Base jumpers. Sky divers. Motorcycle riders. People who visit sex workers. Sex workers. People who work in labs with dangerous viruses. X-ray equipment repair people. All of these people are okay with higher risk than many of us - and there are a LOT of those people. Anthropologists have good data that it's genetic, btw.

So if 1 million adults descend on Vegas next weekend, we can expect 500,000 or so to develop symptoms, with about 100,000 serious cases and 400-500 deaths. I think a lot of Vegas-lovers will find that entirely acceptable.

Of the serious cases, about 10,000 will require hospitalization and tests and resources - but they'll be back in their home areas by then. Win/win for Vegas?

As for what happens to the actual residents of Vegas, well, 90% of them are willing to accept similar risks, as they knew when they moved to Vegas it was not the healthiest environment on the planet. I have several family members who live/lived there (3 are dead already - at ages 40, 42 and 69). The remaining cousin and his girlfriend, ex-wife, all their joint in-laws and friends - they're fine with the risk. My estimate of 90% of Vegas wanting to open is coming from their mayor and his pressers.

True. I'm sure there's statistics of gamblers and people who like high risk dangers plus the jerks I mentioned that don't take the virus seriously. It supports exactly what I was trying to express-- it's probably only a matter of time before some uncaring person exposes me to a deadly virus.

Society will have to learn new ways, but what you said is true that there will always be risk takers you can't change that may not care if I die from their negligence.

MOO, the Vegas Mayor is not thinking this through and must be blinded by the dollar signs.

I watched a discussion on the News earlier regarding the 'recovered patients', who, at a routine follow up some 6-8 weeks since testing negative, and seemingly without any symptoms, tested positive again.. with at least 1 person found to still have live virus in the lungs!! In my opinion, what with any coughing, spluttering, projected from the lungs, that person should be deemed highly contagious. And more than likely would be defo capable of infecting others!
It makes one wonder.. Did these people come into contact with CV for a 2nd time?? We already know that anybody who has survived needing a ventilator is something of a miracle, since there is no actual treatment-cure available. Almost like the virus was hibernating! X
I know we've seen reports that recovered people are testing positive after testing negative, but have there been cases where the patient actually gets sick again - by that I mean, with symptoms, feeling ill, etc.

jmo

YouTube CEO: We’ll ban any coronavirus content against WHO guidelines

YouTube will ban any content containing medical advice that contradicts World Health Organisation (WHO) coronavirus recommendations, according to CEO Susan Wojcicki.

Speaking on CNN’s Reliable Sources, Wojcicki said that the Google-owned video streaming platform would be “removing information that is problematic”.

She told host Brian Stelter that this would include “anything that is medically unsubstantiated”.

COVID-19: Key model says states need to wait to reopen

An influential coronavirus model often cited by the White House, now says that many states will have to wait longer to safely reopen.

According to a model built by the Institute for Health Metric and Evaluation (IHME) at the University of Washington, 12 states will have to wait until at least June 8 or later to consider relaxing social distancing measures.

At that point, the model assumes states will have other measures in place, such as aggressive testing, contact tracing and isolation, to prevent a resurgence.

The IHME model is just one of many, and it uses a conservative "threshold" to predict when state can begin relaxing social distancing measures.

ad787cb4-0ee9-4490-9830-50bd61915ec0-large16x9_Map.PNG

video
COVID-19: Key model says states need to wait to reopen
Wow. So some of the states that are pushing to reopen are the very ones that need to wait.

Looks like I have another month to do all that cleaning the rest of you have been doing.

She got a forgivable loan. Her employees hate her for it.

Jamie Black-Lewis felt like she won the lottery after getting two forgivable loans through the Paycheck Protection Program.

Black-Lewis saw the $177,000 and $43,800 loans, one for each of the spas she owns in Washington state, as a lifeline she could use for payroll and other business expenses.

She’d halted pay for the 35 employees — including herself — at Oasis Medspa & Salon, in Woodinville, and Amai Day Spa, in Bothell, in mid-March, when nonessential businesses in Washington closed due to the coronavirus pandemic.
When Black-Lewis convened a virtual employee meeting to explain her good fortune, she expected jubilation and relief that paychecks would resume in full even though the staff — primarily hourly employees — couldn’t work.

She got a different reaction.

“It was a firestorm of hatred about the situation,” Black-Lewis said.
The anger came from employees who’d determined they’d make more money by collecting unemployment benefits than their normal paychecks.
It wasn’t just those on the lower end of the pay scale who were upset — even ones who would stand to make more money from their regular paychecks sided with lower earners, Black-Lewis said.

“They were pissed I’d take this opportunity away from them to make more for my own selfish greed to pay rent,” she said.

Grain of salt on this, IMO. These are all her words, and I don't tend to trust people who present themselves in such an emotional and inflammatory way in public - absent a real, immediate crisis. Adulthood and all. These employees can be replaced if they don't want to work for her any longer. They know that money isn't going to go on for more than a few months, so maybe they just don't want to work for her. Even if true, then that means she made bad hires, and that's on her. Pieces like these seem intended to whip up anger against the common man and woman receiving the kind of help the big corporations get routinely.

The new "first patient" in Santa Clara (who died February 7) had been to Wuhan, IIRC. Came back feeling sick, rode in a taxi, went to a restaurant, went to a grocery store, etc. The taxi driver didn't get CV. Neither did anyone at that restaurant, neither did anyone at that grocery store. So in addition to finding this person, the Santa Clara County Medical Examiner's office is doing contact tracing. I assume they've done serological testing on all those people (maybe not, though - the full study isn't published yet).

Meanwhile, another patient showed up in Washington and another in Santa Clara. The entire west coast has lots of connections to Asia and there's tons of manufacturing of electronics in Wuhan, so people besides Chinese-Americans go back and forth.

The same strain carried by that Feb 7 patient is the one that first showed up in New York, apparently. Many West Coast CV victims have a different strain to that one.

The article I read said it was believed to be community transmission, see below for excerpt from Mercury News article (BBM):

"The February deaths — as well as third death in San Jose on March 6, of a man who later tested positive for COVID-19 — also occurred before the first coronavirus death was publicly reported in Santa Clara County, on March 9. Health officials had previously believed that death — of 68-year-old Santa Clara resident Azar Ahrabi — to be the first known COVID-19 fatality in the Bay Area.

Smith confirmed that the new positive death results were received Tuesday from the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention, after being sent to the federal agency by the county Medical Examiner-Coroner.

The origin of these cases is believed to be within the community, Smith added. That suggests community transmission of the coronavirus was occurring in Santa Clara County well before the first U.S. case of community-acquired COVID-19 was reported in Solano County on February 26."

Autopsies show coronavirus was spreading in the US from January

TWO PEOPLE WHO died in California in early and mid February have been confirmed through autopsies as coronavirus cases – weeks before the first reported COVID-19 fatality in the United States.

The deaths, on 6 February and 17 February, push back the timeline for the entry of the virus on US soil, experts said.

Given what we know about how long it takes for the virus to kill people, the disease began to spread in the US sometime between early and mid January.

And the fact that it took astute health officials to carry out post mortem examinations on these selected cases in turn means that the overall death toll of 45,000 is likely well below the real number.

“Models of epidemic spread in the US will have to be adjusted to account for an earlier start date,” Jay Bhattacharya, a professor of medicine at Stanford University told AFP.

You need to apply for the SBA money. The first batch went fast but they are working on another traunch. ABA Urges House Leaders to Approve Additional Paycheck Protection Program Funding | ABA Banking Journal

"The American Bankers Association today urged House leaders to swiftly approve a legislative package that would provide an additional $320 billion in funding for the Small Business Administration’s Paycheck Protection Program. The Senate unanimously approved the bill yesterday, and the House is expected to consider the legislation tomorrow morning."

The roll out of the first batch was pretty rough and the money went quickly. I have heard anecdotally that you may have a better experience with a small local bank. I work as in house legal in a fairly large bank and our systems take a long time to update. My husband runs a non profit and he applied through a small community bank and got approved right away. You do want a local bank with SBA experience though as, like most gov programs, it has some peculiarities.

I would contact banks right now or tomorrow morning to see when they will start accepting applications for the new money. Don't wait. It will likely go really fast again and there have been lots of complaints about money going to large companies and since they ask for larger amounts it goes even faster.

Remember this isn't a traditional loan. You don't have to pay it back as long as you keep your employees on so it's obviously a very popular program.

This is a link to the SBA site Coronavirus Relief Options which explains the various options available. This is a link to Fortune where they promise to keep an updated list of participating lenders. These are the banks and lenders currently accepting SBA Paycheck Protection Program loan applications

As for the stimulus payments. You can check online. Not everyone is eligible. My family of four isn't even though I'm paying college tuition for two kids and certainly don't feel "rich".

Reporting from Southern California.
Small business restaurant.
We have not received ANY help.
Not one cent.
Where is the billions of dollars ?
I want to know Exactly where is the money for small businesses??
We've also not received the $1,200.00 per person.
We've not received a penny.
I am so angry,
I Live in Southern California and pay obscene taxes.
What the hell has California done with all of this money?
What about we small businesses?
Nothing, but talk.
From our leaders who live in guarded mansions.
With no financial help to small, medium businesses.
California is going to see a phenomenal unemployment and reduction of its
Bogus Golden State.
Living in California, is no longer Golden.
Thank You Politicians. MOO

So, many are saying that if you get Covid-19, you are immune, if only for a few months.
Scientists Still Don't Know if Recovering From COVID-19 Confers Immunity or Not

When this was brought up weeks ago, I immediately thought about Chicken pox, like many of you did and many discussed. But with chicken pox, that virus stays dormant and can become active again, Shingles.....
So, after doing a little research I found some interesting reads about C-19 and how it could possibly do the same (stays dormant)... If this turns out to be accurate with continued studies, this may add more worries when they believe our next wave comes! But if this virus continues to stay dormant in individuals, what happens if many become active all at once and we still do not have a vaccine that covers every strain of C-19????
https://www-aljazeera-com.cdn.ampproject.org/v/s/www.aljazeera.com/amp/indepth/features/doctor-note-coronavirus-reactivate-200412062905537.html?amp_js_v=a3&amp_gsa=1&usqp=mq331AQIKAGwASDAAQE=#aoh=15875924895378&referrer=https://www.google.com&amp_tf=From %1$s&ampshare=https://www.aljazeera.com/indepth/features/doctor-note-coronavirus-reactivate-200412062905537.html

Just so many questions.

IMO, this means that we could have many large outbreaks for a long time to come!

But I'm going to Positive Patty and say that I truly believe in prayer and I know it works! Only thing that is going to change this situation MOO, IMHO, and all that jazz! :D

I feel the very same feelings---I just don't want take-out. And yet I truly want to support the locals. We have so many restaurants in our area, but only small restaurants in our town, no chains.

I am in a couple of groups where we collect supplies/donations etc for the more needy in our area, and we meet in a local church yard to collect and assemble.

So yesterday, I asked some of my friends "Who has really good takeout?" and "do we know anyone who really needs more business right now?" just to see if it would encourage my take-out appetite. It didn't. I'll try again later though.

[bbm]

I hope you were social distancing and using hand sanitizer.

Coronavirus News: New York cats are 1st pets in US to test positive for COVID-19

NEW YORK -- Two cats living in separate areas of New York state are the first pets in the United States to test positive for COVID-19.

The felines had mild respiratory illness and are expected to make a full recovery, according to the U.S. Centers for Disease Control and Prevention.

In a statement, the agencies said a veterinarian tested the first cat after it showed mild respiratory signs. No humans in the household were confirmed to be ill with COVID-19.

Were they tested for antibodies? Or tested at all? Or did they just go by stated symptoms?

Wow. So some of the states that are pushing to reopen are the very ones that need to wait.

Looks like I have another month to do all that cleaning the rest of you have been doing.

Latest Coronavirus Impacts: 9 Additional Deaths, Near 2,500 Cases
San Diego County Health officials confirmed there have been 2,491 total positive COVID-19 cases and 96 deaths

Some of the parks in San Diego were opened in a limited ways yesterday, not the playgrounds or parking lots yet.

Oddly, yesterday was the day they had to announce the most deaths in the county in one day.

Right now, I'm listening to the city's virus committee answer their daily questions. They take over my programming on my tv everyday. They all take a turn to be in the spotlight. A doctor just said the testing is not reliable yet. There's great hopes for the antibody test, but not all testing is reliable yet. MOO, they're all making decisions based on unreliable info! It's hard enough to find a way to be tested, but then I can't count on reliable results meaning anything? I read sometimes somebody tests negative and then gets the virus again or a positive result...oh boy I don't feel comforted. MOO, it seems too soon to start reopening when experts don't know the answers.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member