Coronavirus COVID-19 - Global Health Pandemic #63

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
I wonder if it's because of the recent CV+ tests of football players and the inherent risks of playing the game itself.

Dr. Fauci said that he did not see how football would be possible in the fall. He said that of all the major sports, football has the most likelihood of spreading the virus, due to the close contact, breathing, shouting, etc.

I think sports should be on hold. Teams have to travel and travel together which in itself could be a nightmare.

If I had to guess, I'd say the only sports with any possibility of going from start to finish, are hockey & basketball. And only because they plan to lock themselves in a bubble. That said, I still would not be surprised if neither of them are able to make it through to the end. The leagues want their TV revenues. The players want some of their salaries. But I don't see that happening for long, if at all.

Thanks so much for the interesting article, @tresir2012. It’s well worth reading and makes it clear that the reasons people wear or don’t wear masks are varied and complex. After I posted my question trying to make sense of why people don’t wear masks, I read something a counselor said...he never expects people to make sense. :D Those may be words to live by right now!

But regardless of individual reasons for not wearing a mask, the article confirmed in some detail what I’ve been saying all along:

If common sense prevailed, all Americans would wear face masks, Abrams told MarketWatch. But in light of heightened uncertainty, “strong emotions override rationality, and we look to leaders for guidance.”
Why do so many Americans refuse to wear face masks? Politics is part of it — but only part

As I’ve pointed out before, it is the responsibility of the leaders of any country toward their citizens to model behavior recommended by the epidemiologists and other scientists they’ve asked to guide them. Unfortunately, the U.S. leaders refuse to do that and instead model rebellious, oppositional behavior. IMO the vast majority of citizens would be wearing masks and social distancing if the leaders had led by example.

For the sake of my emotional health, I won’t even try to make sense of why they haven’t! :eek: o_O

JMO MOO

I just posted WHO mask guidance.

He recaps the old stuff the gives the new stuff. It doesn't say everybody to wear masks but if there is community spread, (nothing in my community) over 60, underlying conditions any age and if you cannot social distance. That's my reading of it anyway.

EbYW7-cWsAE6WHg.jpg

I just posted WHO mask guidance.

He recaps the old stuff the gives the new stuff. It doesn't say everybody to wear masks but if there is community spread, (nothing in my community) over 60, underlying conditions any age and if you cannot social distance. That's my reading of it anyway.
I really don't care what WHO's advice is. US is supposed to be a developed country, where people can afford to wear masks.

I'm Speechless! Total loss for words.

According to Worldometers, with 4+ Hours remaining in their day.....

2,140 Daily U.S. Deaths

Holy F'in S&*t.

Edit: Apparently that includes 1,700 prior deaths added today for New Jersey.

Was going to say - surely that includes an accumulation of backdated cases. Phew!

I realize there is not an answer forthcoming to this question. But I wish someone would ask, of those who say we should just live with a certain # of deaths going forward and that it's time to accept that as the price for moving forward. What # of daily deaths should we accept? Is there an actual limit, or will that be ever changing as the numbers rise?

500 per day? 1,000 per day? 1,500? Or if it gets to say 2,000/Day, will that be the # to accept? Just curious.

I would love to know this and I pester all kinds of people with this question. It looks to me as if Americans collectively decided to get way more active out in society when the death rates fell to about 800 per day, and at 500 per day, I think a lot of people would happily "go back to normal" (naturally excluding the entire healthcare system, including dentistry).

500 deaths per day would be ~15,000 per month. 180,000 per year, mostly aged 50 and above. At current case mortality rates, that would mean about 3 million infections per year and an additional 500,000 needing longer term care, without about 200,000 of those qualifying for various forms of disability. Since we now know that CoVid pushes people into diabetes, the rate of diabetes would start to rise, and with it, earlier heart attacks and other deaths. Average life expectancy, already dropping in the US due to obesity and drug overdoses, will drop by a few years.

Currently unphased 50-somethings will rethink their lifestyle as they realize they have a 1% chance of dying if they get CoVid.. 60-somethings, facing a 3% death rate if they get CoVid, will stay home (and their spending in restaurants and on travel will dry up as they save for healthcare).

When 20-somethings and younger die of Covid (in their small numbers), every case will splash across the news. In the US, way more 50-somethings are dying than in any other nation and the percentage of overall deaths among the very elderly dying is lower than in UK or France or China or Italy.

Can professional sport or Disneyland resume with this level of risk? Will the international community accept that at any given time, there are a million active cases of CoVid in the US, for them to bring back to their own nations?

Personally, I think that for a nation our size, the deaths need to be fewer than 500 a day, and the demographics of the deaths need to be mostly over 75 (as in other places).

As long as people can see that CoVid is endemic in the largely asymptomatic working population, many are not going to want to return to non-essential activities (including international visitors wishing to come and spend dollars).

It does make me wonder if people will come to regard other forms of death as casually. The overall valuation of human life, inside the minds of many humans, will change.

I wonder why they don't consider playing to empty stadiums, as some sports in some nations are doing. Wouldn't the at home TV audience be huge?

I wonder if it's because of the recent CV+ tests of football players and the inherent risks of playing the game itself.

I've advocated that NFL/AFL teams invest in their own testing systems so that they can identify CV+ personnel each day and thereby reduce risk drastically. There would still be some minor risk, but the risks would be less than the other inherent risks of football. I"m not a football fan, but I know many who are and what with all this staying home, people really would love to have a distraction.

A number of Dallas Cowboys players now have the virus. They won’t need to report now until mid July. Without the cancellation, they would have started practice next week.

Report: Ezekiel Elliott among multiple Cowboys, Texans players to test positive for COVID-19

I think the Cowboys are having some serious issues with this virus.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members