Coronavirus COVID-19 - Global Health Pandemic #63

Welcome to Websleuths!
Click to learn how to make a missing person's thread

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
Sure wish we had a crystal ball. Where will we all be say even just a year from now.

I just hope we will all still be alive and healthy enough to come here and carry on discussing COVID!
It is really humid and sticky in the UK today. I am pretty good at enduring hot weather (but get cold easily) and would normally welcome 30 degrees, but it's been horrible today. Proper sweaty weather, lucky I didn't have to go anywhere!! :D

Much as we have loved this 3 month 'heatwave' it has not helped keep people safely at home, hence all the crowded beach pics. Brits are a bit daft (polite version) when it comes to a little peep of sunshine. Those beach-goers will be sunburned to hell this evening; let's hope that's the only ailment they picked up today.

3-month heatwave?? What's going on with the weather over there? :cool:

Their only hope of getting their jobs back and keeping them was to decrease CoVid cases so that Disneyland, Knotts, California Adventure, Medieval Times, that Wolf themed Water Park Hotel thingie and Legoland could all open (along with the attractions in San Diego).

Until one person on the periphery tested positive and the whole shebang was closed up again. Their only hope was courage, and that, I fear, is in shorter supply than covid tests.

This feels like another Hurricane Warning, as we see the younger aged numbers skyrocket. They need to work. But they are silent killers out there... This is terrible....
Florida is seeing Covid-19 cases skyrocket among young people

From your link:
"...CNN contributor and University of Massachusetts Dartmouth Biology Professor Erin Bromage called the growing rate of Covid-19 cases amongst younger people a "smoldering fire" that will hit vulnerable populations.

"We're now seeing what is really happening, which is those 18- to 44-year-olds are being affected at a really high rate," Bromage said. "Their social networks, their employment, is allowing them to mix at a higher rate, and we're seeing the infection rate -- especially in Texas, Florida and Arizona -- just skyrocketing in that demographic."

"...as more of them get infected, the chance of them interacting with the vulnerable population increases and hits that vulnerable population, and then the inferno just begins," Bromage told CNN's John Berman."

I just hope we will all still be alive and healthy enough to come here and carry on discussing COVID!

3-month heatwave?? What's going on with the weather over there? :cool:

Well, y’know, it’s all relative of course, but pretty much as soon as lockdown started end of March the sun came out. Had a week or two of rainy days (good for the garden) but otherwise it’s been pretty hot compared our usual sprung weather.

CDC have statistics regarding what they call excess deaths. You may want to have a look at that site. I will find the link.

Edit window had passed so here is the link.

Excess Deaths Associated with COVID-19

I realize there is not an answer forthcoming to this question. But I wish someone would ask, of those who say we should just live with a certain # of deaths going forward and that it's time to accept that as the price for moving forward. What # of daily deaths should we accept? Is there an actual limit, or will that be ever changing as the numbers rise?

500 per day? 1,000 per day? 1,500? Or if it gets to say 2,000/Day, will that be the # to accept? Just curious.

The Arctic reached 100.4F yesterday - the hottest ever recorded and perhaps the hottest northern hemisphere day in thousands of years. In fact, geologists and climate scientists think it's probably an 800,000 year high - perhaps even longer than that.

It's actually alarmed Russia - long story - but permafrost is melting and my own fears are of what lies beyond, buried in the peat. Russia tries to keep quiet about it, but if you google that recent oil spill in Russia and see why it happened and what that oil was fueling, it's an interesting read. While sweltering.

I'm guessing not many in UK have A/C (it's the same where I live - supposedly we get coastal breezes, but it's really only people right on the beach who get the benefit of much cooling).

It's gonna be a long, hot summer on top of everything else. I feel your pain - hope you all get some relief soon.

Okay, that temp in the Arctic is scary. Between coronavirus and global warming/climate change, I'm beginning to feel we are all doomed. :(

I've read elsewhere for years about how much of a consumption society we have become, rather than a producer.

What we are experiencing now, and will likely experience for sometime to come, is what happens when a consumption society can no longer consume.

Take away our Sporting Events, our Concerts & Theatre. Take away Movies, Amusement Parks, Travel and Tourist Attractions. Cut back on spending at Restaurants & Stores.

You can't eliminate or even reduce all of those categories for an extended period of time, without suffering severe pain. The stability of our economy depends upon the infusion of money into the system, and it's just not going to be there for some time to come.

Other countries are not immune either. Some, like Italy or France, rely heavily on Tourism dollars. And their tourism has fallen off a cliff, and won't likely return anytime soon. Especially if they open up flights with restrictions from a major travel country like the U.S.

Guess what I did! We purchased (online) a paper towel bathroom dispenser. Not sanitary to use the same towels for everyone, even guest towels for visitors. Seems it's going to work well.
Awesome. I'll have to check one out. I removed towels from the guest bathroom and have a roll of paper towel on the counter. Great idea.

From your link:
"...CNN contributor and University of Massachusetts Dartmouth Biology Professor Erin Bromage called the growing rate of Covid-19 cases amongst younger people a "smoldering fire" that will hit vulnerable populations.

"We're now seeing what is really happening, which is those 18- to 44-year-olds are being affected at a really high rate," Bromage said. "Their social networks, their employment, is allowing them to mix at a higher rate, and we're seeing the infection rate -- especially in Texas, Florida and Arizona -- just skyrocketing in that demographic."

"...as more of them get infected, the chance of them interacting with the vulnerable population increases and hits that vulnerable population, and then the inferno just begins," Bromage told CNN's John Berman."

Do those infection rates include individuals who take part in protests (post George Floyd) across the country?

A couple of points from an interesting article about the change in direction about wearing face masks, including that doing so can save the economy....

Wearing a face mask will give you more freedom, not less, the surgeon general said.
"Some feel face coverings infringe on their freedom of choice- but if more wear them, we'll have MORE freedom to go out," tweeted Adams, who was nominated by President Donald Trump.
"Face coverings → less asymptomatic viral spread → more places open, and sooner! Exercise and promote your freedom by choosing to wear a face covering!"

Murray agreed that one of the fastest ways to help get Covid-19 under control and help prevent a second wave of economic shutdowns is to wear a mask.
"For pretty much every state that we've looked at, if we can get people to wear masks, we can not only save lives, but ... we can also save the economy, because we can keep businesses going."

Face masks: Why the guidance has changed so much, and how wearing masks can protect the economy - CNN

Texas Family Has 18 Relatives Test Positive For COVID-19 After Birthday
Party

Texas Family Has 18 Relatives Test Positive For COVID-19 After Birthday Party
438e20e10712996466627d0c6dda7cc1

June 25, 2020, 1:30 AM EDT

Guess what I did! We purchased (online) a paper towel bathroom dispenser. Not sanitary to use the same towels for everyone, even guest towels for visitors. Seems it's going to work well.

Awesome. I'll have to check one out. I removed towels from the guest bathroom and have a roll of paper towel on the counter. Great idea.

Yes, this is a great idea. I picked up the idea of a bathroom counter dispenser for paper towels from friends quite some years ago. I’ve always been grossed out by guest towels. Of course, it helps to have a counter big enough! :D

New Rule: If you've been claiming for the past several weeks that there is no need to be concerned about the virus spreading, and that things are getting back to normal, then you can't now point fingers at Protesters for causing a spike in cases as a result of their marches earlier this month.

Some of us have been saying all along, that this virus does not care whether you're protesting someone's murder on video, or attending a political rally. It's an Equal Opportunity Infector.

Dr. Fauci said that he did not see how football would be possible in the fall. He said that of all the major sports, football has the most likelihood of spreading the virus, due to the close contact, breathing, shouting, etc.

So, he must not have a lot of confidence in the one hour tests in use at the White House. Perhaps this explains his own physical distancing.

I would think basketball would be just as bad (is it ever held outdoors?) Lots of breathing and close contact in basketball too and no breezes. I guess a lot of FB is indoors these days too.

If the teams had invested in rapid testing set-ups, I wonder if Fauci would approve? I assume they are doing daily testing, but probably don't get the results in time for that day's practice.

Oh well. Not my gig. I am feeling for my friends and family who love the game and have so much fun watching football. I wonder what colleges and high schools will do. But, as everyone says, each person makes their own decisions (despite the fact that many businesses and schools make joint decisions at the top, not by democratic vote or will of the players).

Golf will be the only sport on TV, maybe even with distanced spectators. Maybe some beach volleyball. Archery. Tennis (without spectators; no doubles).

Baseball is going ahead, right?

Do those infection rates include individuals who take part in protests (post George Floyd) across the country?

I doubt we will ever know that IMO. I think it's a combination of things, protests, rally's, younger folk mingling, folks gathering and no distancing, no masks, opening up to soon etc. etc.

I agree that it’s a combination of factors and I don’t think it would be possible to know statistically if protestors became infected. Or rally goers. Or beach goers. We might know if individuals share their stories, as the birthday party family did.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
gisberthanekroot