Coronavirus COVID-19 - Global Health Pandemic #65

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
Everyone is everyone on here (when the last two Trump rallies were being held at indoor venues) who said it would be ok if it was outdoors, like the protests. Now this is outdoors, but the opinion has changed again and for some reason this outdoor event is not au fait with everyone any more, despite it being held in a county with a low CV rate.

Nope. My opinion has never changed. We have talked about the Philly Parade of 1918 countless times. Outside makes it less risky than an indoor gathering like a megachurch or stadium, but mass gatherings are mass gatherings and still not in line with recommended medical advice for suppressing transmission of this virus. Neither is no social distancing or no mask wearing.

Last edited:
Would we not all agree that 2020 is an exceptional year? That things need to be done differently this year?
I am not enjoying my travel limitations ... not being able to return to your country to visit friends and family.
But I get that it is an exceptional year.

I fear that this exceptional year is going to turn into an exceptional 3 years, if things keep going this way.

The herd immunity that the leaders seem to be shooting for is a long, long way off ... if at least 43% (low estimate) of the population need to be contaminated.

Things are being done differently this year, at least from my perspective.

We didnt get to have our town festival and fireworks this year due to Covid restrictions and we've lost too much tax revenue to fund anything.

Our current idea of a big, huge time is I'm managing a small pop up market in conjunction with a community gospel sing on Saturdays. We've got the booths all spread out for proper distancing. We're all like woohoo it's so exciting.

Jmo

Kudos. I am watching the fiasco in Mount Rushmore, and I am stunned. Have people completely forgotten about the Pandemic? Social Distancing? Mask wearing? Common sense?

Meanwhile, I hardly go anywhere, mask, hand sanitizer constantly. Always wiping everything down with Sani cloths. Am I crazy? Are these folks crazy? Is everyone crazy?
Sounds like Fauci doesn't bother much and where I live masks are only mandatory on public transport which we can only use if our travel is essential. In a lockdown you don't travel anywhere unless it is essential. So once every 10 days for food that's all.

That's tomorrow night outside the White House with a fly past. I know about the Bush fires. I have relatives in Oz. It's not as dry in SD and I am sure they will take proper precautions. You dont really get floating embers with fireworks but its a risk wherever it is held.

I will provide you with three links, then I will be done with this convo.

“When the rainforest was burning, the first thing we learned was that it can burn,” says Leslie Shirreffs, the chair of the Wet Tropics Management Authority.
World heritage Queensland rainforest burned for 10 days – and almost no one noticed

The fireworks were being fired individually on their school oval when the adjacent bushland caught fire and the property was destroyed. Consider local conditions, such as vegetation and its condition, wind speed and wind direction, when selecting the firing location and the fireworks to be used.
Fireworks start bushfire | Business Queensland

Footage of the fire was posted online last night, showing reeds stretching along the River Torrens catching alight just to the north of the footbridge in the Adelaide CBD.
The incident occurred following the 9:00pm fireworks at the Elder Park celebrations near Adelaide Oval in front of about 50,000 people.
Riverbank catches fire after New Year's Eve fireworks display

Nope. My opinion has never changed. We have talked about the Philly Parade of 1918 countless times. Outside makes it less risky than an indoor gathering like a megachurch or stadium, but mass gatherings are mass gatherings and still not in line with recommended medical advice for suppressing transmission of this virus.
They're clearly ok in SD as they were in Az and OK. And there is no evidence of spread from those indoor rallies anyway, same as the protests. You cannot expect one group to gather daily for two to three weeks and then expect others to forego the same freedoms. Anyone who is unhappy about it just doesn't need to go or watch.

My county has decided it's okay not to publish CoVid cases past Wednesday. We are on California's watchlist, and along with a handful of other counties, we are experience a sharp rise in cases. Or at least I think so.

They didn't report yesterday. Or today. And now they won't report until Monday on any cases, but I know from nurses that we have 7 ICU beds left for the County and discharging people rapidly to the regular wards, with people waiting in the ER for admission - typical for CoVid in the US, but unusual locally.

Anyway, it's not good. At least from the point of view of conserving human life and health.

“When the rainforest was burning, the first thing we learned was that it can burn,” says Leslie Shirreffs, the chair of the Wet Tropics Management Authority.
World heritage Queensland rainforest burned for 10 days – and almost no one noticed

The fireworks were being fired individually on their school oval when the adjacent bushland caught fire and the property was destroyed. Consider local conditions, such as vegetation and its condition, wind speed and wind direction, when selecting the firing location and the fireworks to be used.

Footage of the fire was posted online last night, showing reeds stretching along the River Torrens catching alight just to the north of the footbridge in the Adelaide CBD.
The incident occurred following the 9:00pm fireworks at the Elder Park celebrations near Adelaide Oval in front of about 50,000 people.

I don't want to get you riled up again, but I am right there with you. Your nation and people suffered a great deal. We're suffering through fireworks all night, every night for a month here - and we're just 2 miles from the perimeter of one of California's worst fires (so many homes lost - they will never be rebuilt, it has changed people's lives forever).

Clearly they didn't have enough fire Marshalls to ensure the fireworks were put out as they fell to the ground. In the UK we have many old thatched roof cottages many centuries old so have to be especially careful. You cannot be suggesting America should not have fireworks because Oz has bushfires? You have them every year.

We need to just give Mt Rushmore land back to them and be done with it. We clearly can’t be trusted as good stewards to this national land when we decide to light fireworks during a dry season.

It's in the Courts (and has been for a long time). It is likely that ultimately, the joined tribes of the region will regain control of this land (although if they don't, I surely don't hope they get other concessions for it).

The person from S. Dakota who planned Mt Rushmore thought the monument would show Lewis & Clark, Sacajawea, and Crazy Horse.

Anyway, only one masked person at this "celebration"/rally. That I can see.

I don't want to get you riled up again, but I am right there with you. Your nation and people suffered a great deal. We're suffering through fireworks all night, every night for a month here - and we're just 2 miles from the perimeter of one of California's worst fires (so many homes lost - they will never be rebuilt, it has changed people's lives forever).

I can't tell you how this year has felt for us - first the massive bushfires with so much hurt and devastation, then covid with all of its tragedy and sensible restrictions.

Thank you for your kindness and understanding.

Kimberly Guilfoyle (Don Jr.'s partner) tested positive. Best to her.

Kimberly Guilfoyle, Top Fund-Raising Official for Trump Campaign, Tests Positive

Sounds like she was on a plane or already in South Dakota when she tested positive??

Ms. Guilfoyle traveled to South Dakota with Mr. Trump’s son Donald Trump Jr., in anticipation of attending a huge fireworks display where the president was set to speak. They did not travel aboard Air Force One, according to the person familiar with her condition, and she was the only person in the group who tested positive.

Who got their sister or mom to sing the National Anthem? That was terrible! These video intros are also awkward and kind of dumb in my opinion.

The anthem was terrible and the singer doesn't have a good sense of pitch. The band warmed up though.

Looks like a lot of the audience is local - which is good, because comparatively speaking, S Dakota has low rates of CoVid (although 2X that of many US counties). It's interesting to see how people from a less-afflicted, very large area are less cautious.

It's been that way, most places. Until it hits, it's just a distant threat. Fortunately, no matter what happens, SD is one of our least populated places - it could be worse.

It could have been Arizona or Florida or Texas.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DeeDee214