Coronavirus COVID-19 - Global Health Pandemic #66

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
Young adults who think 'they are invincible' increasingly infected by coronavirus, Newsom says

I don't think that this article is right, but I know that my kids, are fatalistic. If it is going to happen anyway, just get it, get over it, and move forward. The concept of death and severe disability isn't what they think will happen.

Constantly having the "Fear of getting Covid" hanging over your head 24x7 is getting to a lot of people.

Seems we will no longer, especially in the South and Southwest, rely on contact tracing so COVID will be hanging over our heads with everyone we contact. Are they asymptomatic? Should I even talk anyone else? OMG. Never thought we would get this far.
"... the US is battling the first wave of the Covid-19 pandemic -- so much so that across the South and Southwest contact tracing is no longer possible, according to a health expert."
US coronavirus: Contact tracing is no longer possible across the South due to rapid coronavirus surges, health expert says - CNN

Although this article is two months old it clearly shows the problems encountered obtaining PPE. It also mentions the worry about PPE becoming more scarce once lockdown ends. Lockdown ended last week.

Buying PPE online for carers 'like the Wild West'

the last time I checked Amazon for masks, I had to search quite a long time to find a listing for folks without a medical business license. I hope the limits on purchasing are helping.

That's less than 10% of the US population though so they don't have to fund all testing.

Your link states 8.5 million have Obamacare so that reduces those not covered to 18.5 million (about 6% ).

How Many People Are on Obamacare in 2020?
The US government published a report stating that a total of 8.5 million people signed up for the Affordable Care Act in 2018, for the year 2019. This is a decrease when compared to past years, and reasons tend to differ. Some of the main arguments quoted by officials include the fact that more Americans are now employed, thus receive health insurance coverage through their employers. Some of the other reasons include budgetary cuts associated with the promotion of the program, but also the appearance of numerous other insurance options that are deemed as competitive.

Obamacare statistics reveal that the number of insured Americans will continue to drop if the Trump administration refuses to further promote the Affordable Care Act. This is unlikely to happen, but people throughout the US are now actively hoping that a new insurance regulatory framework will be released, for the purpose of increasing access to the healthcare system and ensuring that people throughout the country are eligible for quality and cheap medical services.

I’m on Obamacare right now and it’s exorbitant if you want a high level of service. Granted I have now discovered I didn’t need platinum; but in prior years I’ve needed a lot of physical therapy for crappy back, etc. The platinum is $1,100-plus per month, and I still paid out of pocket for dental.

Also, when I was looking last November, it was my anecdotal experience that certain insurance purveyors were only offering a certain number of plans for a certain number of enrollees under Obamacare, and that when they topped out, those vendors disappeared entirely from the marketplace (I had searched once in October, before opting to keep prior employer’s COBRA for remainder of plan year; and United/Oxford at minimum had entirely disappeared as an option by beginning December when I went back).

Last edited:
Contact tracing is no longer possible across the US South due to rapid coronavirus surges, health expert says

"The cases are rising so rapidly, that we cannot even do contact tracing anymore. I don't see how it's possible to even do that," Dr. Peter Hotez said.

The rapid rise in cases is considered a surge, not a second wave, because the infection numbers never lowered to where officials hoped they would, director of the National Institute of Allergy and Infectious Diseases Dr. Anthony Fauci said.

"We are still knee-deep in the first wave of this," Fauci said.

That flare up can be seen in at least 31 states, where the number of new cases increased from last week, according to data from Johns Hopkins University.

Those states include: Alabama, Alaska, Arizona, California, Delaware, Florida, Georgia, Hawaii, Idaho, Indiana, Kansas, Louisiana, Michigan, Mississippi, Missouri, Montana, Nevada, New Mexico, New Jersey, North Carolina, North Dakota, Ohio, Oklahoma, Oregon, Pennsylvania, South Carolina, Tennessee, Texas, Washington state, West Virginia and Wisconsin.

Only four states have seen improvements in the number of cases since the previous week: Maine, Massachusetts, New Hampshire and Rhode Island. The remaining 15 states have been holding steady.

Florida Teen who died from COVID-19 attended a huge church party

Carsyn Leigh Davis' family noted that she was “a devout Christian and follower of Jesus,” and “actively involved in Youth Church at First Assembly of God in Ft. Myers.”

On June 10, Carsyn was one of dozens of young people who attended the church event mentioned in the report. Florida data scientist Rebekah Jones shared images of a June 10 post from the First Youth Church’s Facebook page advertising an event scheduled for that night called a “Release Party.” The church’s page has since been taken down.

“Service is back and better than ever!” the post said. “There will be games, awesome giveaways, free food, a DJ and music, and the start of our new sermon series.”

The medical examiner wrote that Carsyn’s parents gave her azithromycin as a preventive measure from June 10 to June 15. The antibiotic in combination with hydroxychloroquine has been floated by Trump as a potential coronavirus treatment. According to the report, Carsyn's mother is a nurse and a man identified as Carsyn’s father is a physician assistant.

But while she was taking the medicine, Carsyn began feeling ill, developing a headache, sinus pressure and a mild cough, the report said. Then, on June 19, her mother noticed that Carsyn “looked ‘gray'” as she slept, prompting the mother to hook her daughter up to oxygen normally used by Carsyn’s grandfather, who has chronic obstructive pulmonary disease, or COPD.

At some point, Carsyn was also given a dose of hydroxychloroquine by her parents — an action that came less than a week after the FDA pulled its emergency use authorization for that drug and chloroquine, another anti-malarial medication. A letter dated June 15 stated that the drugs “were unlikely to be effective” for covid-19 and that any potential benefits were outweighed by safety risks, including heart problems.

It remains unclear whether Carsyn had a prescription for hydroxychloroquine.

Not long after the oxygen and hydroxychloroquine were administered, Carsyn’s parents took her to a local medical center. She was later transferred to the pediatric intensive care unit at a nearby children’s hospital, where she was confirmed to have the coronavirus.

Carsyn’s parents declined to have her intubated, and she instead started receiving plasma therapy, the report said. But by June 22, her condition wasn’t improving and “intubation was required,” the medical examiner wrote.

Despite “aggressive therapy and maneuvers,” Carsyn still didn’t get better, leading Brunton Davis to request “heroic efforts” even knowing that her daughter “had low chance of meaningful survival,” according to the report.

But none of the procedures worked and Carsyn continued to deteriorate. She died shortly after 1 p.m. on June 23, two days after her 17th birthday.

5 Sacramento County clinics to close amid COVID-19 testing shortage

"The good news is we’re testing about 16,000 people a week -- up from maybe 300 or 400 a few months ago. So, it’s vastly better,” Beilenson said. “But, we’ve now run into a new national supply chain issue, where there is not enough media transport liquid for the virus tests to be done. And so, our community-based sites are now on hold temporarily as we try to get more in. But, this is a national issue and it’s happening all over the country.”

"The overall testing capacity across the state is being pushed right now," a UC Davis Health spokesperson said in a statement to KCRA3. "There are a number of virus hotspots around the state and around the country, and there is a finite number of tests that can be done each day. In addition to the increased virus spread, some people are seeking to be tested even though they don’t have symptoms or have not been around someone who is sick. With the current levels of demand for testing, it is important to prioritize testing to help diagnose and confirm those people who actually have the virus, so they can isolate themselves early and avoid exposing other people.

5 Sacramento County clinics to close amid COVID-19 testing shortage

Why does the federal government need to be funding testing anyway if people have health insurance?
Because millions of people don't have health insurance...?

The US health care system is very difficult for outsiders to understand, particularly when they are accustomed to having a national health care scheme as most developed nations do.

We must purchase our health care here in the US and it's so expensive millions cannot afford it. Medical bankruptcy is woefully common and people lose their entire savings, homes, and retirement accounts to medical bills.

On top of the usual sorry state of US health care, millions in the US have lost their jobs due to covid, which means they also lost their health insurance.

As I said, it can be difficult for outsiders to understand when they are accustomed to their government providing health care as a basic right. We don't have that.

Carsyn Leigh Davis' family noted that she was “a devout Christian and follower of Jesus,” and “actively involved in Youth Church at First Assembly of God in Ft. Myers.”

On June 10, Carsyn was one of dozens of young people who attended the church event mentioned in the report. Florida data scientist Rebekah Jones shared images of a June 10 post from the First Youth Church’s Facebook page advertising an event scheduled for that night called a “Release Party.” The church’s page has since been taken down.

“Service is back and better than ever!” the post said. “There will be games, awesome giveaways, free food, a DJ and music, and the start of our new sermon series.”

The medical examiner wrote that Carsyn’s parents gave her azithromycin as a preventive measure from June 10 to June 15. The antibiotic in combination with hydroxychloroquine has been floated by Trump as a potential coronavirus treatment. According to the report, Carsyn's mother is a nurse and a man identified as Carsyn’s father is a physician assistant.

But while she was taking the medicine, Carsyn began feeling ill, developing a headache, sinus pressure and a mild cough, the report said. Then, on June 19, her mother noticed that Carsyn “looked ‘gray'” as she slept, prompting the mother to hook her daughter up to oxygen normally used by Carsyn’s grandfather, who has chronic obstructive pulmonary disease, or COPD.

At some point, Carsyn was also given a dose of hydroxychloroquine by her parents — an action that came less than a week after the FDA pulled its emergency use authorization for that drug and chloroquine, another anti-malarial medication. A letter dated June 15 stated that the drugs “were unlikely to be effective” for covid-19 and that any potential benefits were outweighed by safety risks, including heart problems.

Not long after the oxygen and hydroxychloroquine were administered, Carsyn’s parents took her to a local medical center. She was later transferred to the pediatric intensive care unit at a nearby children’s hospital, where she was confirmed to have the coronavirus.

Carsyn’s parents declined to have her intubated, and she instead started receiving plasma therapy, the report said. But by June 22, her condition wasn’t improving and “intubation was required,” the medical examiner wrote.

Despite “aggressive therapy and maneuvers,” Carsyn still didn’t get better, leading Brunton Davis to request “heroic efforts” even knowing that her daughter “had low chance of meaningful survival,” according to the report.

But none of the procedures worked and Carsyn continued to deteriorate. She died shortly after 1 p.m. on June 23, two days after her 17th birthday.
so preventable IMO. Why is there such a push to act as if everything is back to normal it seems?
JMO

I feel for this family’s loss, truly—but I can’t help thinking that her tragic death was due in part to the hubris of two parents (employed in medical/healthcare fields) of a visibly obese (risk factor #1) child whose medical history included childhood cancer (risk factor #2) and an ongoing rare autoimmune disorder (risk factor #3; all medical info is per the family’s unlinkable ), throwing random antibacterial drugs/HCQ at this kid, then watching her decline and merely hooking her up to the oxygen of an elderly relative after finding her O2 saturation was in the 40s (!), then FINALLY bringing her to the ER and rejecting intubation in favor of “plasma treatment” (I assume this means she received plasma from COVID-19 survivors which contained antibodies?) after letting her go to a large public party full of other teens who were likely so excited to be celebrating their freedom at this so-called “Release Party” (!!!) that they didn’t do a great job socially distancing (or wearing masks).

https://www.newsweek.com/florida-te...d-her-1515781?amp=1&__twitter_impression=true

Also flabbergasted that this girl’s mother, a nurse, insisted on the hospital taking heroic measures (which are often very expensive and/or experimental/uncommon) in spite of other medical experts telling her that her daughter was unlikely to survive/recover/retain her usual quality of life!

Link to medical examiner’s report on Carsyn’s death:
https://floridacovidaction.files.wordpress.com/2020/07/carsyn-leigh.pdf

Last edited:
The government has paid for the tests up to now though ( for everybody?) haven't they? How long do they pay it for before states have to fund it from their own taxes? That is the real issue I guess. The cost of the fireworks display would have been budgeted for on a yearly basis so that is nothing to do with the pandemic costs.

Yes I am aware how much it costs. That is not really an issue we can debate on here though but I don't disagree. The state will have to fund it if for those that are not covered.
No, it doesn't work that way. The "state" doesn't have to fund any health care costs except those mandated by Medicaid statutes. If you don't have insurance you WILL get a bill. Covid or not covid.

The "state" is no more going to pay your medical costs than they would your new car. Health care is purchased here like any other goods and services.

I feel for this family’s loss, truly—but I can’t help thinking that her tragic death was due in part to the hubris of two parents (employed in medical/healthcare fields) of a visibly obese (risk factor #1) child whose medical history included childhood cancer (risk factor #2) and an ongoing rare autoimmune disorder (risk factor #3; all medical info is per the family’s unlinkable ***), throwing random antibiotics/HCQ at this kid, then hooking her up to the oxygen of an elderly relative, then bringing her to the ER and rejecting intubation in favor of “plasma treatment” (I assume this means she received plasma from COVID-19 survivors which contained antibodies?) after letting her go to a large public party full of other teens who were likely so excited to be “free” that they didn’t do a great job socially distancing or wearing masks.

https://www.newsweek.com/florida-te...d-her-1515781?amp=1&__twitter_impression=true

Also flabbergasted that this girl’s mother, a nurse, insisted on the hospital taking heroic measures (which are often very expensive and/or experimental/uncommon) in spite of other medical experts telling her that her daughter was unlikely to survive/recover/retain her usual quality of life!

Link to medical examiner’s report on Carsyn’s death:
https://floridacovidaction.files.wordpress.com/2020/07/carsyn-leigh.pdf

I'm pretty sure I would be wanting "heroic" measures to save my daughter. Any parent would.

Also, I haven't seen her medical info. Can you link that per TOS, thanks.

ETA thank you for the link. I'm a bit confused why the ME is shaming the mother as well. I've seen ECMO referenced before for Covid patients. Jmo

Last edited:
Florida Department of Education rules that schools must reopen next month

I'm worried for our teachers, staff and administrators. Especially with our numbers rising every day - how in the world are you going to social distance in the classroom? FL is delusional.
JMO

I predict a lot of distance learning. From what I've seen locally (indiana) a lot of parents are opting for alternative, out of the physical school, learning. I would hope parents in Florida do likewise. :(

Not a good sign. Our % positive continues to increase to nearly 1 in 5.:confused:

1,505 new cases of COVID-19, and 6 additional deaths in South Carolina

CHARLESTON, S.C. (WCSC) - State health officials have reported 1,505 new cases of COVID-19 and 6 additional deaths in South Carolina.

Charleston County had the most reported cases on Monday with 326.

Today’s update brings the total number of people confirmed to have COVID-19 in the state to 46,247, and those who have died to 819, according to DHEC. So far there has been a total of 133 probable cases and 8 probable deaths, the state health agency reported.

Five of the confirmed deaths occurred in elderly individuals from Beaufort, Chesterfield, Darlington, and Dillon counties, and one of the deaths occurred in a middle-aged individual from Horry County.

There are currently 1,260 hospital beds occupied by patients who have either tested positive or are under investigation for COVID-19.

As of yesterday, a total of 482,722 tests have been conducted in the state. The total number of individuals tested yesterday statewide was 7,990 (not including antibody tests) and the percent positive was 18.8%.

No, it doesn't work that way. The "state" doesn't have to fund any health care costs except those mandated by Medicaid statutes. If you don't have insurance you WILL get a bill. Covid or not covid.

The "state" is no more going to pay your medical costs than they would your new car. Health care is purchased here like any other goods and services.

Just due to wording, I *think* the state of indiana covered uninsured tests but billed where insurance exists. It was something to the effect of "tests are free to everyone, but please bring insurance info if you have insurance". Jmo

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
skoorboh54