Coronavirus COVID-19 - Global Health Pandemic #81

Welcome to Websleuths!
Click to learn how to make a missing person's thread

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
Because oncologists generally talk about treatment. They don't administer, and if they do, they should be doing so in sterile conditions, which includes their clothing. Cotton coats don't pass for PPE in a clinical environment.
I can speak for myself as a former oncology nurse, that the doctors in oncology wore white lab coats. If that’s not enough explanation, here’s this.

darpa

I make my own decisions as well but I base them on what I have learned from or observed by people I respected at various times in my life, along with self education as you mentioned. Maybe respected versus looked up to would have made more sense. I do understand what you are saying though.
There have been people that I've respected and disagreed with at the same time.

That means I am still in charge of my life. I don't follow blindly behind anyone no matter how much I like or respect them.

That's probably why I'm unemployed right now. LOl JMO

The risk was high for the personnel around Trump - according to physicians on staff at Walter Reed.

(They cite the hermetically sealed compartment, presumably because it becomes a soup of CoVid that must eventually escape when the occupant gets out).

‘This is insanity’: Walter Reed physician among critics of Trump drive-by visit

Washington Post has some choice quotes by Secret Service agents. They aren't getting routine testing like Trump's entourage.

<modsnip: Quoted post was removed>

Actually - if Australians are using white coats, it's the opposite.

Scrubs are processed faster, hotter and without bleach.

And that's what you'll see in actual hospitals worn by actual doctors.

However they do throw on a lab coat as a **non-sterile** outer garment when interacting with the public (pre-procedure, but not during rounds).

That lab coat is not laundered often here. For actual lab personnel, the lab coat is always, always left in the lab (and laundered there) for reasons which should be obvious.

Teaching people when and how to use a lab coat is difficult. Nurses here wear scrubs, too. Lightweight, easily laundered, not laundered in bleach, but with steaming hot water. Bleach is not necessarily a great thing for interactions with patients' skin.

I'm sure there are ways of laundering white coats without bleach, but I've never worked in a US facility that didn't bleach them.

To me a lab coat means you're protecting your other clothes from corrosives and other noxious things. Like, when you're in a lab.

Last edited by a moderator:

Catherine Herridge
@CBS_Herridge

NEW: Doctors okayed POTUS drive-by supporters. Deputy Press Secretary tells
@markknoller
“Appropriate precautions were taken in the execution of this movement to protect POTUS + all those supporting it, including PPE...cleared by the medical team as safe to do.”
@CBSNews
8:03 PM · Oct 4, 2020·Twitter for iPhone
https://twitter.com/CBS_Herridge/status/1312906142968930305

Donald Trump drew immediate rebuke from doctors on Sunday afternoon for an “insane” surprise drive-by visit to supporters outside the Walter Reed military medical center, where the president is being treated for an infection of Covid-19.

At least two other people, probably Secret Service agents, wearing respirators and eye protection, were seen on video in the vehicle accompanying Trump, who was also masked, during the short drive.

James Phillips, doctor of emergency medicine at George Washington University, who is an attending physician at Walter Reed, called the stunt “insanity”.

“Every single person in the vehicle during that completely unnecessary Presidential ‘drive-by’ just now has to be quarantined for 14 days. They might get sick. They may die,” he wrote in a tweet.

“For political theater. Commanded by Trump to put their lives at risk for theater. This is insanity.”

In a second tweet, Phillips added: “That Presidential SUV is not only bulletproof, but hermetically sealed against chemical attack. The risk of COVID19 transmission inside is as high as it gets outside of medical procedures. The irresponsibility is astounding. My thoughts are with the Secret Service forced to play.”

Jonathan Reiner, professor of medicine and surgery at George Washington University school of medicine and health services, said in a tweet: “By taking a joy ride outside Walter Reed the president is placing his Secret Service detail at grave risk.”

“In the hospital when we go into close contact with a COVID patient we dress in full PPE: Gown, gloves, N95, eye protection, hat. This is the height of irresponsibility.”
[...]

Donald Trump drew immediate rebuke from doctors on Sunday afternoon for an “insane” surprise drive-by visit to supporters outside the Walter Reed military medical center, where the president is being treated for an infection of Covid-19.

At least two other people, probably Secret Service agents, wearing respirators and eye protection, were seen on video in the vehicle accompanying Trump, who was also masked, during the short drive.

James Phillips, doctor of emergency medicine at George Washington University, who is an attending physician at Walter Reed, called the stunt “insanity”.

“Every single person in the vehicle during that completely unnecessary Presidential ‘drive-by’ just now has to be quarantined for 14 days. They might get sick. They may die,” he wrote in a tweet.

“For political theater. Commanded by Trump to put their lives at risk for theater. This is insanity.”

In a second tweet, Phillips added: “That Presidential SUV is not only bulletproof, but hermetically sealed against chemical attack. The risk of COVID19 transmission inside is as high as it gets outside of medical procedures. The irresponsibility is astounding. My thoughts are with the Secret Service forced to play.”

Jonathan Reiner, professor of medicine and surgery at George Washington University school of medicine and health services, said in a tweet: “By taking a joy ride outside Walter Reed the president is placing his Secret Service detail at grave risk.”

“In the hospital when we go into close contact with a COVID patient we dress in full PPE: Gown, gloves, N95, eye protection, hat. This is the height of irresponsibility.”
[...]

I've read his other anti Trump tweets from before Trump got COVID. I don't trust his biased opinion.

I found it interesting that he has Physician to the President embroidered on his white coat. Along with his name.

View attachment 266794

Yes, we don't see doctors in white coats here in Oz. Scrubs for surgery and ER/ED, regular clothes in other instances.
When I lived in the US, none of my doctors wore a white coat either.
I think in Oz we see a white coat as more of a lab technicians coat.

I wonder if it is sort of a uniform at Walter Reed, being a military hospital. All of the doctors in the pic seem to have similar embroidery on their white coats. Name and "rank" (title) on their white coats.

Trump declares 'I get it,' then briefly leaves hospital
Walter Reed Army Medical Center - Wikipedia

I'm trying to remember when I last saw a doctor without a lab coat. Maybe some ER techs?

I get it. We have 7!
We get litter from Amazon on subscription but also get it whenever it's on sale at Walmart.

I was really running low on litter and cat food this past April, and read about Chewy.com on here, but had never used it before. I tried it, and have been using it ever since. Prices are competitive and the heavy boxes of litter are delivered by UPS right to the door and left on the porch. If one month I don't need an order of anything, I just defer to the next month. Works really well.

I think that it was very important to show the world that President Trump is still in command. That's what he did.

Besides, the Secret Service is going to have to stay very close to the President no matter what he's doing. It's their job. JMO
Not these guys - required to quarantine for 14 days.
Maybe I'm getting old but I don't look up to anyone anymore. Probably the last person I did was my dad and he died 11 years ago.

I make my decisions by using my experience, common sense, and self education.

No one is in control of my actions but myself. JMO
Cannot think of a single person I look up to. Last one was Muhammad Ali.

I'm trying to remember when I last saw a doctor without a lab coat. Maybe some ER techs?

No issue for me ... I was just trying to explain to another Aussie the cultural differences as I saw them.
My own experience in the US was different to yours. In ER and birthing unit they wore scrubs, and the doctors I did see in their office or visiting me in hospital after DD's birth wore regular clothes.

It seems to me that the Walter Reed white coats are very formal, with embroidered names, so I thought perhaps they were like a uniform in a military hospital. That's all.

I think that it was very important to show the world that President Trump is still in command. That's what he did.

Besides, the Secret Service is going to have to stay very close to the President no matter what he's doing. It's their job. JMO

There is something to that. Love him or hate him as the president showing he’s okay is a smart strategy. Our enemies will double their efforts at espionage if they think the focus is elsewhere because he’s super ill.

And yes I know there’s multiple arguments about this administration and foreign involvement/influence. But putting that aside, most presidents have made sure to appear strong and even cover up illnesses when possible, because it’s a smart thing to do.

Either way, he seems very healthy to me, considering the alternatives. If he needed oxygen support of any kind I don’t believe they’d allow him to risk a car ride.

Frankly, I don’t understand the vitriol toward the team of doctors caring for the President.

What irked me is that Trump's personal physician decided, rather than giving a medical update, he chose to editorialize the information to put a 'spin' on it, to keep an upbeat message. Whatever happened to just the facts?

Because oncologists generally talk about treatment. They don't administer, and if they do, they should be doing so in sterile conditions, which includes their clothing. Cotton coats don't pass for PPE in a clinical environment.

yes well most doctors I have been in the presence of do not administer anything - it's usually the nurses & techs that do the actual manual labour

ETA: except surgeons of course

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members