Coronavirus COVID-19 - Global Health Pandemic #85

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
Good morning: My husband's temp is 101.5 and he is going to the hospital. I am really upset he wouldn't go yesterday and he has exposed me to whatever he has, which could be Covid. Thank you for your good wishes. I will post later on.
i hope it's just a fever - and that reminds me - I need to get a flu shot. take care

Things must be bad in Belgium :(

14:36
Doctors with Covid-19 asked to keep working in Liege hospitals

Gavin Lee

BBC Europe reporter

Several hospitals in Belgium have requested that doctors and nurses who test positive for Covid-19, continue to work if they have no symptoms.

The decision has been made by 10 hospitals in Liege, which are dealing with a surge in coronavirus admissions.

The city is one of the worst affected areas of Europe and hospitals have started transferring patients elsewhere and cancelled all non-urgent surgery.

The situation is exacerbated by a lack of doctors and nurses available.

A quarter of medical staff in Liege are reported to be off work with Covid-19. But another 10% of staff who have tested positive but are asymptomic have been asked to continue working.

The president of the Belgian Association of Medical Unions, Dr Philippe Devos, acknowledged the obvious risk of transferring the virus to patients, but says they’ve been left with no choice in order to avoid the hospital system collapsing within days.

Covid: More areas in talks on moving to Tier 3 virus rules - BBC News

Can you imagine how insanely bad off they are if they want infectious people to risk working with their patients? I guess I can imagine doctors and nurses who test positive working exclusively on the covid ward, hopefully no where else.

Hubby called me from the ER-- wonder of wonders: they have 2 hour Covid test!
They did Chest X-ray, blood and all of that. By the way, if you go to a hospital for possible Covid they call it "Covid watch" and they do not allow you to use the bathroom- they give you a bottle!!! He will be there probably all day----praying it is not Covid!!!!

They did Chest X-ray, blood and all of that. By the way, if you go to a hospital for possible Covid they call it "Covid watch" and they do not allow you to use the bathroom- they give you a bottle!!! He will be there probably all day----praying it is not Covid!!!!
Can you imagine how insanely bad off they are if they want infectious people to risk working with their patients? I guess I can imagine doctors and nurses who test positive working exclusively on the covid ward, hopefully no where else.

that is madness but obviously they must feel they have no choice

It just seems they'd be infecting other staff, because surely they don't have enough CoVId+ doctors and nurses to staff the whole ward. Maybe they have 2 changing areas.

I am so pleased that he is there and you are home. You must be exhausted. Fingers crossed all will be well.

"[...] the DeSantis administration on Sept. 1 issued an executive order authorizing visitation to resume and providing broad guidelines that nursing facilities were required to follow.

"The executive order authorized general indoor and outdoor visitation at long-term care facilities so long as the facilities had gone 14 days without any new cases of COVID-19 among residents and staff. General visitors were required to wear masks and to maintain social distance."

Gov. DeSantis says Florida will expand nursing home visitation

Well, that ought to make the long term care residents feel quite safe (not). Visitor are welcome as long as the facility has had no Covid cases for two weeks.

I have been talking to my younger friends, apparently the country is a crazy quilt of various school types. Some go all day, some not at all, some part time. The whole thing seems to be a mish mash, and no one is really getting a lot of instruction.

Dr Anthony Fauci told Yahoo News the country is still experiencing its first wave of coronavirus infections, as cases surge in dozens of states.

Said Fauci: “I look at it more as an elongated and exacerbation of the original first wave. We never really cleared and got down to a very low baseline… No matter how you look at it, it’s not good news.”

Fauci Says We’re Still In First Wave

Iowa numbes today: As of 10:00-11:00 a.m. we had 677 new confirmed cases for a total of 116,452 confirmed cases of which 87,984 had recovered (+275). 2 more had passed away for a total of 1,636. There are 52,611 active confirmed cases. 73 were hospitalized in the last 24 hrs. for a total of 561 (new daily record). Here are the daily age groups: 0-17: 10,247 (+81); 18-40: 52,611 (+205); 41-60: 32,113 (+204); 61-80: 16,684 (+140); & 81+: 4,769 (+47). Oct. 26: Iowa hits another record-breaking number of hospitalizations
Iowa COVID-19 Information

Scary but so very true, IMO.

Way back in March and April, I actually wore adjustable acrylic safety glasses over my glasses whenever I went to Walmart. DH had a few left over from work when he retired. I got self-conscious about it (looking like a weirdo), or now that I think about it, they fogged up. Regardless of why, I stopped wearing them and have often wondered if maybe I should start wearing them again, at least for grocery-store runs.

Yes. I don't wear goggles but always wear my sunglasses. I think it's a good idea, especially now that we are learning more about how the virus can linger in the air.

"[...] the DeSantis administration on Sept. 1 issued an executive order authorizing visitation to resume and providing broad guidelines that nursing facilities were required to follow.

"The executive order authorized general indoor and outdoor visitation at long-term care facilities so long as the facilities had gone 14 days without any new cases of COVID-19 among residents and staff. General visitors were required to wear masks and to maintain social distance."

Gov. DeSantis says Florida will expand nursing home visitation

Well, that ought to make the long term care residents feel quite safe (not). Visitor are welcome as long as the facility has had no Covid cases for two weeks.

I’m unclear what the “(not)” comment means exactly. However, after watching what has happened in the long term care setting with these patients isolated for 7+ months from their family and friends, I can say unequivocally that we need to let them visit.

Yes, it’s a risk. And I’m sure at some point, a visitor will inadvertently bring covid in to a patient and we will lose some patients because of it. And/or a patient will inadvertently pass it on to one of their visitors and we will lose some visitors because of it.

But we have already lost patients because of the lockdown on nursing facilities. I’ve literally watched as some have withered away, despite the very best efforts of all involved. It’s heartbreaking to watch someone die of what basically amounts to loneliness. And it absolutely has happened and will continue to happen as long as we keep them shut off from their families and friends.

Average daily new coronavirus cases in U.S. hit all-time high, Gottlieb warns of 'exponential spread'

• The average number of new daily cases of coronavirus in the United States is at a record.
  • “We are likely to see a very dense epidemic,” former Food and Drug Administration Commissioner Dr. Scott Gottlieb told CNBC on Monday.
  • As daily new cases skyrocket, hospitalizations are rising, too, and deaths, which lag furthest behind those other indicators, are beginning to tick up.

——

“We must not give up”

Last edited:
Okay then. Well, about 30% of the population (or more) wants to go ahead and get CoVid. That's not surprising and it's not just the USA. We are not a nation of entirely sensible people (unlike some other nations, where everyone is on the same page).

We all have families and can observe how people are different. Some families are entirely on board with stopping this, wearing masks, cutting down their own mobility, etc. That will stay the same.

And other families are "whatever happens, happens, when it's my time to go - I'm done."

In the US we have those two groups and then also people who truly just don't understand what's going on. I was on a live chat on Youtube (CoVid-related) and several people (all with feminine screen names) were shocked that it was hitting their state or any place at all...as hard as it's hitting. They were surprised that, in their area, hospitals were filling up. It's not they are stupid, they just have busy lives and commitments and don't like negative news.

We true crime people forget that other people turn away from some of the grittier, more horrific parts of life. They just don't go near it. Heck, growing up, I knew families where most members couldn't go to a funeral (didn't want to think about it, didn't want to see grandma dead, etc, etc).

That's why we have policy and do not rely on people's personal reactions to things.

i think some of these people really are stupid!!

Yes. I don't wear goggles but always wear my sunglasses. I think it's a good idea, especially now that we are learning more about how the virus can linger in the air.
Me too. I purchased some “over regular glasses“ sunglasses at Costco last year in the optical dept. They are comfortable and have quite wide side pieces. I don’t suspect they are perfect but certainly better than having eyes totally exposed and certainly keep my hands away from my eyes.

Chris Cuomo was seen at the weekend in a New York City members' club not wearing a mask and walking around to greet people as if he were the 'mayor', according to people who were there.

The CNN host, who had COVID-19 earlier this year, had already been scolded by his apartment building management for not wearing a mask in common areas.

. . .

It comes after he was threatened with a $500 fine for not wearing a mask in his apartment building.

Chris Cuomo is spotted at New York members club not wearing a mask | Daily Mail Online

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ClueCrusader