Coronavirus COVID-19 - Global Health Pandemic #85

Status
Not open for further replies.
The intention to let CoVid run wild, seemed apparent to me when the US pulled out of the World Health Organisation. The goals of the WHO and the US gov't were incompatible.

It seems to me that since the pull out from WHO, the task force may have been further developed to be conducive to the 'no control' strategy. IMO

President Donald Trump’s newest coronavirus adviser, Dr. Scott Atlas, says the president’s COVID-19 diagnosis will not change the White House’s strategy on pandemic control.
His joining the coronavirus task force provoked drama and concern from top health officials, like Dr. Anthony Fauci, the top infectious-disease expert in the US, and Centres for Disease Control and Prevention Director Robert Redfield.
“I’m not here to be an epidemiologist. I’m here because I can translate complicated medical science … in a way that is plain English and understandable by the public and by the people in the White House.”

Trump's anti-lockdown coronavirus adviser, Dr. Scott Atlas, says the president's COVID-19 diagnosis will not change how the White House tackles the pandemic

Me too. I purchased some “over regular glasses“ sunglasses at Costco last year in the optical dept. They are comfortable and have quite wide side pieces. I don’t suspect they are perfect but certainly better than having eyes totally exposed and certainly keep my hands away from my eyes.

Thanks for this tip!

I could use this in general on errands and at my dentist appointments.

Yes I go to the dentist. Yes I spent 3 days with my spouse in the hospital (non-Covid related) and am still healthy ... I love any advice and tips!

YES! This made the national news here yesterday!! Good goin Vic.

Apparently it is making worldwide news because of all the places that were averaging the same 500 cases per day at the time that Victoria went into lockdown, the state of Victoria's strategy has worked - followed closely by Singapore.

xx2.JPG

"Also, as Victorians understand acutely, the virus is unpredictable. Today, as the crisis accelerates in Europe and elsewhere, Victoria’s “zero new cases” are the envy of the world. But there can be no certainty about where things will be in a few months’ time."
Finally at zero new cases, Victoria is on top of the world after unprecedented lockdown effort

No nation has been able to control this virus, and the best way to mitigate the damage has been a point of contention virtually everywhere.

Have you looked at China and New Zealand and Australia's strategies and control? As well as about 10 Pacific nations. I think that 'no nation' is just a comforting premise to some. IMO

The 'excuse' that I have heard for the terrible state of the US is "we are too big".

Well, no. The US could have broken itself into manageable regions - for the purpose of controlling the virus - and nipped at control measures that way.
In a similar way to the one in which our states broke off and got the virus under control, then rejoined again.

IMO

Have you looked at China and New Zealand and Australia's strategies and control? As well as about 10 Pacific nations. I think that 'no nation' is just a comforting premise to some. IMO

The 'excuse' that I have heard for the terrible state of the US is "we are too big".

Well, no. The US could have broken itself into manageable regions - for the purpose of controlling the virus - and nipped at control measures that way.
In a similar way to the one in which our states broke off and got the virus under control, then rejoined again.

IMO

If we are too big to handle anything as a nation how are we not too big to be a nation at all? I'll never understand how claiming ineptitude and incompetence is a justification for further of the same. But that's basically what people like to say. "We are too big to handle anything competently". Do we really want to declare that?

Group sees 14% increase in child Covid-19 cases with close to 800,000 US kids infected - CNN

Many scientists doctors and other public health officials warned that this might happen. That studies showed children were also affected by the virus and in ages 10-18 were just as transmissable as adults. But they weren't listened to.

Now we have this:

The group, which represents pediatricians, says about 792,188 children have been infected in the US as of October 22. According to Johns Hopkins University, more than 8.6 million Americans have been infected with the novel coronavirus.
The AAP said 94,555 new child cases were reported from October 8 to October 22.

Luckily the incidences of hospitalization, severe illness and death are still extremely low. Not that that's any consolation to those families whose children fell into those categories.

The bigger worry, in my opinion, is the transmission to vulnerable family members.

In other news, retail and hospitality are due to reopen here in Melbourne - with guidelines - next week, if not sooner. I sooo can’t wait, shopping online for months has its drawbacks, like trying to stuff your pillows into new pillowcases only to wonder why they won’t fit. Who knew there was such a thing as “toddler pillowcases”??

Anyway, the federal government gave us an early tax cut, I’m none too happy (yes I’m unhappy about a tax cut lol) because I can think of a million things that money could have gone to, but nonetheless I’m going to do my part and spend it alllll on hospitality. Luckily I live in the foodie capital and the choices are endless!

I know this covid thing is a rollercoaster, but today at least - things are looking up!

[bbm]

that's a hilarious visual

IMO

Also, Vietnam, South Korea, Australia, Canada - they definitely have "control" over the spread. Germany is doing pretty well. Of course, China and Japan are also doing well. Thailand, Sri Lanka, UAE, many others.

We could learn a lot from these nations, although one key variable is taking it very seriously from day 1 (or, in the case of some nations, before it ever arrives).

Yes, we could have had regions for effective control in the US (the CDC can mandate that). We could have defined "essential travel" more narrowly and shut down lots of unnecessary international travel.

We could have also had better policy about allowing cruise ship passengers (CV+) into regular hospitals (after it turned out military clinics couldn't really handle CoVId at the time).

Thanks for this tip!

I could use this in general on errands and at my dentist appointments.

Yes I go to the dentist. Yes I spent 3 days with my spouse in the hospital (non-Covid related) and am still healthy ... I love any advice and tips!
Remember your ears also. Hubs, DrT always said any orifice, don’t put your dirty fingers in eyes, mouth, nose, ears etc well there.. use ear pods as well. In 50+ years of practice he only missed 1 day of work.

The intention to let CoVid run wild, seemed apparent to me when the US pulled out of the World Health Organisation. The goals of the WHO and the US gov't were incompatible.
I have been struggling with the how and why our federal government has no plan to control the virus and how persons in prominent positions are able to ignore, make fun of, do nothing about so many sick and dying. It boggles my mind. All I can fantom is there are those who because of wealth, isolation from common Americans, or an alternative reason just have no feelings, no caring attitude, no empathy toward anyone but themselves and encouraging their own lifestyle.

Well, here 's the news: Negative for Covid but he has several blood clots in his lungs and he will be admitted for anticoagulation treatment. He had a Chest x-ray which saw some spots on his lungs and a Chest CT showed the clots. He does have a hereditary condition called Factor 5 which is an abnormal clotting condition. He has had blood clots in his legs and was on blood thinners for a few years, but a hematologist took him off of that about a year ago----- So the clots accounts for the sharp pain in his chest when he took a deep breath. I am glad he finally went to the hospital today because this condition could have been life-threatening.

Thank you all for your concern: it helped so much. By the way I think Covid is worse than blood clots: He will probably have to be on that medication for the rest of his life but it can be treated and i expect him to spend a day or two in the hospital and then come home.
Oh my! I'm so glad he went to the emergency dept! Neither Covid nor blood clots are anything to play around with! I'm sure you are relieved that he will be receiving treatment. I hope Mr ilovewings feels better soon! Take care and try to get some rest. I'm sure this hasn't been easy for you.

I can't read The Daily Mail - is this baby aspirin (81 mg) or regular adult strength (325 mg)?

This is the study by the University of Maryland School of Medicine that the Daily Mail article is speaking of ... if that helps.

They have studied (only) hospitalised covid patients who were usually taking low dose aspirin daily to protect against cardiovascular disease.

2020 News - New Landmark Study at UM School of Medicine Finds Aspirin Use Reduces Risk of Death in Hospitalized COVID-19 Patients | University of Maryland School of Medicine

Last edited:
It always seems to be the ones who are most controlling of others that don't seem able to control themselves.

I'm not surprised either.

Well, i am actually surprised. His sincerity regarding symptoms and his honestly about the "long haul" depression were quite informative... so I am surprised, and a bit saddened.. but the only picture I saw in articles, he had a scarf around his neck. All the other photos were older...years older..

lets see.....

Thanks for your reminder here. I have a mask hanging in the car. I never worried about germs because the car would get so hot the germs were killed off.

But now, wait, it's not hot anymore and yet I am still reusing a mask hanging in my car :oops: and thanks to your post, it reminds me that I need to change tactics. Use disposable ones, always wash the fabric ones etc.....

Seriously, thanks Mickey...;)

agreed. Serious thanks Mickey.

Oh my! I'm so glad he went to the emergency dept! Neither Covid nor blood clots are anything to play around with! I'm sure you are relieved that he will be receiving treatment. I hope Mr ilovewings feels better soon! Take care and try to get some rest. I'm sure this hasn't been easy for you.

Thank you so much for your kind thoughts: Mr. Ilovewings just got put into a private room after being in ER for 12 hours: he is so pleased : he is on Heparin to dissolve those clots. He is still on Covid Watch - do you know why that would be- he did have a negative test-- so i am puzzled----

Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member