Coronavirus COVID-19 - Global Health Pandemic #91

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
Keep in mind that average life expectancy at that time was about 63 for women and 60 for men in the US. "Normal" was a much shorter life.

Life expectancy in the US has averaged around 77-78 for a decade. Losing 15 years could become the "new normal." The average is brought further down by multiple younger people dying, obviously (as with the flu).

https://www.washingtonpost.com/history/2020/09/01/1918-flu-pandemic-end/

This article states that the spanish flu morphed into the influenza we have today.
50 millions people were killed globally by this flu and then the virus morphed into a much less lethal virus that is with us today, which begs the question, will Covid morph into a virus that is not lethal.

Last edited:
I had Covid twice in 2020. I got the 1st step of the Moderna vaccine 36 days after my last positive test. It was like having Covid again for a week. But I am sure that's of no consequence to a researcher perched high in his laboratory that doesn't have to mix with the common folk.

Epidemiologists spend quite a bit of time interacting with patients, who are "common folk." What makes you think laboratories are "perched high"? The people I know who are in public health and in virology are out there in the real world, risking getting COVID. A good friend of mine, a doctor, has died of COVID.

I am very thankful for these researchers and have been active in medical research for 40 years, so that's my experience. I am currently doing training modules for our local public health people (who are front line researchers on the effects of the virus and of the vaccines).

I'm pretty sure we all understand that people get COVID-like symptoms for a few days after taking the vaccine (probably 20% do - and we're tracking whether those people are old or young, what ethnicity they are, whether they had COVID prior, etc, and there's a whole bank of people calling the vaccinated to see how they are doing - or texting them, which is much easier; most people in my county are happy to be texted and participated, not as happy with phone calls).

It will take time for researchers to understand all the effects of the vaccine, especially as we started with the very elderly. We're now on the healthcare worker/first responder tier, so lots and lots of healthy, apparently COVID-free people with no underlying conditions that they know of and we will track their responses (most of them are reporting only a sore arm).

At any rate, stating that researchers don't care seems unnecessarily harsh to the very people who are working 15-18 hour days to try and bring COVID under control (not all researchers are doing that, but many are - many are practicing physicians who are part of university hospitals where all kinds of data about COVID are tracked and turn into useful knowledge - that's what my friend did and he died at age 66 after organ damage during COVID).

Phil Spector, the music producer responsible for some of the biggest hits in music and the architect of The Wall of Sound has died ... sources with direct knowledge tell TMZ.

We're told he died from COVID-related complications, after being transferred from his prison cell to a hospital. We're told he was diagnosed 4 weeks ago and went to the hospital but recovered well enough to return to prison, where he was serving a 19-to-life sentence for the murder of Lana Clarkson.

Our sources say he relapsed, had trouble breathing and was rushed back to the hospital, where he died Saturday.

Music Producer Phil Spector Dead at 81 from COVID-19

Here is some good news for the US.

I received another Smart Traveller alert today. After Joe Biden has been inaugurated, the US is requiring a negative covid test before anyone departs for the US.

Obviously, Aussies likely won't be taking covid to the US as our cases are very low and have been isolated, as far as we are aware (and we are not allowed to go there if we plan on coming back anytime soon). But I imagine that this will be implemented worldwide ... which would mean that Joe Biden's team is going to try to stop further virus loads - and mutant strains - entering the US.

View attachment 279755
I hope there’s a plan in place for these folks headed our way. All I could think was how many of them might be infected after traveling in such large crowds for a lengthy period of time. I’m sure this crowd of thousands is just the tip of the iceberg of what we will see in the coming months.

Up to 8,000 US-bound migrants enter Guatemala from Honduras - CNN

I hope there’s a plan in place for these folks headed our way. All I could think was how many of them might be infected after traveling in such large crowds for a lengthy period of time. I’m sure this crowd of thousands is just the tip of the iceberg of what we will see in the coming months.

Up to 8,000 US-bound migrants enter Guatemala from Honduras - CNN

Sorry. I wouldn't know.

All I know is that the US has been allowing free travel in and out of the country for a year. Finally that free travel is going to involve people coming in on aircraft to have a negative covid test prior to boarding their flight. Which is a good thing.

Now we have nurses refusing to vaccinate people! This is worrying. Her social media has posts about most people not being impacted seriously by covid. She also has a post about child sex trafficking. How are we going to get to the other end of this pandemic if people are so misinformed.

To date, I've personally known 3 people who've died from COVID. I am in a very rural area of Virginia, and as I suspected, we were late in getting spikes of the virus. However, my son currently has it, quite a few people we know do as well. His boss's father-in-law was a person who died from it. Almost everyone I know has it, has been exposed, or has a family member/co-worker currently with it. Hospitals are feeling the pressure. We have many teachers, school staff, health care workers, day care workers, etc. who've been exposed or tested positive and this is making it hard to keep businesses open. A few restaurants/small stores/schools have closed due to shortage of staff.

Also, we have thousands of National Guard reservists deployed to DC right now, so as you can imagine, things are on hold in a lot of places in my area.

Now we have nurses refusing to vaccinate people! This is worrying. Her social media has posts about most people not being impacted seriously by covid. She also has a post about child sex trafficking. How are we going to get to the other end of this pandemic if people are so misinformed.
This is an easy one. We have such a huge shortage of nurses all over. So send them to the covid units to take care of those patients. Clearly they’re not afraid of catching it.

So, we allowed 15 charter flights of tennis players to come to Australia for the Australian Open tennis championships. They were pre-given the quarantine requirements.

5 of them have tested positive (they are all in hotel quarantine).

They are not happy that Premier Andrews (of Victoria) won't bend the rules for them.

Djokovic reportedly wrote to the Australian Open boss with a raft of demands on behalf of players.
They included permission to visit a coach or trainer and to move as many players as possible to private residents with tennis courts.
"People are free to provide lists of demands," Mr Andrews said.
"But the answer is no. And that was very clearly put.
"We have Tennis Australia's full support in the rules and they were communicated to everybody involved in the event.
"It doesn't mean that everyone likes them, but that's not the world we're in.

Premier's 'firm no' on Australian Open quarantine demands

So, we allowed 15 charter flights of tennis players to come to Australia for the Australian Open tennis championships. They were pre-given the quarantine requirements.

5 of them have tested positive (they are all in hotel quarantine).

They are not happy that Premier Andrews (of Victoria) won't bend the rules for them.

Djokovic reportedly wrote to the Australian Open boss with a raft of demands on behalf of players.
They included permission to visit a coach or trainer and to move as many players as possible to private residents with tennis courts.
"People are free to provide lists of demands," Mr Andrews said.
"But the answer is no. And that was very clearly put.
"We have Tennis Australia's full support in the rules and they were communicated to everybody involved in the event.
"It doesn't mean that everyone likes them, but that's not the world we're in.

Premier's 'firm no' on Australian Open quarantine demands

I am glad the rules will not be change for the players. Good for the Premier. I understand to them this important however lives are a lot more important. Maybe these players should have quarantine before leaving their country and then again upon entering a new/host country. I know people won’t like I but oh well, it’s one solution.

Live at 5:30 pm eastern in case you want to subscribe online.

Join us for a memorial to remember and honor the lives lost to COVID-19 in cities and towns across the country. A Washington, D.C. ceremony will feature a lighting around the Lincoln Memorial Reflecting Pool. We are inviting cities and towns around the country to join Washington, D.C. in illuminating buildings and ringing church bells at 5:30 p.m. in a national moment of unity and remembrance.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
HelloKitty1298