Crystal S., Haleigh's mother #5

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
I have never heard of a case in national news of an abducted child and the child was gone for 6 months and taken by a family member and turned up healthy and well.

I know there are plenty of cases where an estranged partner took a child, but the LE knew right away it was a parental abduction....

Not this case.

DAMAGE TO THE ABDUCTED VICTIM CHILD 1. Alteration to Appearance -The abducted child's appearance is often altered (hair cut and dyed, etc.,). 2. Name Change - The abducted child's name is often changed, with young children sometimes never knowing their true identity. 3. Loss of true identity - The child is stripped of his true identity. He loses out on the love of his left-behind family and his roots. 4. Health Neglect - The abducted child is often medically & physically neglected as abducting parents have the worry that their child may be discovered to be missing. 5. Unstable Education - Abducted children receive unstable schooling as moves for them are common and getting proper paperwork to schools to enroll your child can be difficult under a new name. 6. Unstable Living Conditions - Abducted children have unstable living conditions as they are on the run from the law, and often end up homeless or moving frequently. 7. Lies and more lies - Abducted children are often told lies about the abduction and the left-behind parent. They can form a false hatred for the left-behind parent and family. Sometimes they are even told the left-behind parent is dead or in jail or doesn't want them. 8. The Life of Fugitives - Abducted children live the lives of fugitives. They are taught not to trust anyone, not to tell about their past, and live a life on the run. They have no opportunity to establish relationships with friends. 9. Psychological and Emotional Distress - as a result of living life on the run and being subjected to this kind of abuse, the abducted child is subjected to severe psychological and emotional distress which show up for many years to come. UNDERSTANDING PARENTAL CHILD ABDUCTION Parental child abduction victimizes more than 354,000 U.S. families each year. This crime is widely misunderstood by those not directly affected by the crime, including some law enforcement and government officials, who are under the misconception that children are inherently safe when they are with an abducting parent. Nothing could be farther from the truth. Dr. Dorothy Huntington, an early leader in parental child abduction issues, best describes what parental child abduction fully encompasses, in her 1982 article entitled, Parental Kidnapping: A New Form of Child Abuse. She states, "Child stealing is child abuse.....Children are used as both objects and weapons in the struggle between the parents which leads to the brutalization of the children psychologically, specifically destroying their sense of trust in the world around them.....We must re-conceptualize child stealing as child abuse of the most flagrant sort." (Huntington, 1982, p. 7)

Bobbis have you read this article, on parental abductions? http://www.findsabrina.org/ParentalAbductions.html

Heartbreaking, and an enormous issue

Wow Flossie!!!!

I knew that emotional and mental damage was done to these children who are victims of kidnappings, but never did I think it was this bad.

If in fact, that this is the case with HC, she is going to need some serious cousiling afterwards. not to mention the loss she is going to suffer, if it is a close family member, and she gets thrown into the FL system, god only knows what she will encounter in the corrupt system of foster care (here in FL, not saying all foster parents are bad, but there are several that are). (assuming that the families would be investigated and that would be where she is placed until the investigation is complete, possibly JR too)

I thought this was also interesting regarding parental abductions:

Parental Abduction

An estimated 203,900 children were victims of a family abduction in 1999. A family abduction occurs when a family member takes or keeps a child in violation of the custodial parent's/guardian's legitimate rights.

Family abduction findings:

78% of abductors are the non-custodial parent

21 % are other relatives

42% of children were living with a single parent

15% were living with another relative/foster parent

66% were taken by a male relative

35% of children were between 6-11 years old

24% of the abductions lasted between 1 week and 1 month

82% of abductors intended to affect custody permanently

Reasons why family members become abductors:

They are dissatisfied with custody decision in court

They have been denied visitation for not paying child support

They are protecting the child and/or themselves from abuse

They are angry with the break-up of the relationship

They are angry with the other parent's new partner/lifestyle

AGAIN, this thread is not about Misty or the 911 call :sheesh:

Now...back to Crystal. Is she trying to find a job now? How is she going to keep up with her child support without a job? Is the mystery person who paid the money before going to continue to send in money to the state to prevent her from getting behind again?

I think she should have to continue to pay for Haleigh's support even if she is missing. Do we know the status of this?

ETA: There is no reason for the mods to tell us when they are going to delete posts which should not be on a thread to begin with, imo. Maybe paying attention to the topic before we post is a better idea.

Now...back to Crystal. Is she trying to find a job now? How is she going to keep up with her child support without a job? Is the mystery person who paid the money before going to continue to send in money to the state to prevent her from getting behind again?

I think she should have to continue to pay for Haleigh's support even if she is missing. Do we know the status of this?

ETA: There is no reason for the mods to tell us when they are going to delete posts which should not be on a thread to begin with, imo. Maybe paying attention to the topic before we post is a better idea.

BBM :)

http://www.firstcoastnews.com/news/local/news-article.aspx?storyid=132134&catid=3

Last week, on February 16th, the state signed a dismissal document which cancelled the child support contempt of court hearing until Haleigh is found. The dismissal document was filed in the Putnam County Clerk of Courts office Tuesday.

This article was written a few days after HC disappeared, but it is all i can find to address one of your questions. :)

BBM :)

http://www.firstcoastnews.com/news/local/news-article.aspx?storyid=132134&catid=3

Last week, on February 16th, the state signed a dismissal document which cancelled the child support contempt of court hearing until Haleigh is found. The dismissal document was filed in the Putnam County Clerk of Courts office Tuesday.

This article was written a few days after HC disappeared, but it is all i can find to address one of your questions. :)

I hope that means canceled the hearing and not the support order, that would be outrageous and confirm opinions and theories that Haleigh might have been taken because of the inability to pay child support.

I hope that means canceled the hearing and not the support order, that would be outrageous and confirm opinions and theories that Haleigh might have been taken because of the inability to pay child support.

elle:

i think it is just the court hearing, but i thought i read somewhere, and i am trying to find the link, that the child support has been suspended until HC is found. I will keep looking until i find something..lol!

elle:

i think it is just the court hearing, but i thought i read somewhere, and i am trying to find the link, that the child support has been suspended until HC is found. I will keep looking until i find something..lol!

thanks lil momma.....let me know if you find something.

People keep saying that paying child support is not a motive to take Haleigh. Here is a case where it was a motive:

LOS ANGELES -- A father charged with killing his 4-year-old daughter nine years ago is accused of tossing the girl off a 120-foot cliff to avoid paying child support.

Deputy District Attorney Craig Hum made those allegations against 47-year-old Cameron Brown Monday during opening statments in Brown's murder retrial in downtown Los Angeles.

~Snip~

Hum said that Brown killed Lauren because he didn't want to pay about $1,000 a month in child support.

http://www.ktla.com/news/landing/ktla-daughter-cliff-death,0,3239187.story BBM

I'm curious SS, why do think Crystal should continue paying support for Haleigh when she's been gone for six months? And if Haleigh's never found, should Crystal continue paying until Haleigh's 18th birthday?

Support payments are a sesitive subject with any parent that has to pay or is to recieve if it is a hardship on the paying parent. The nonpayment of support to a child is a crime and punishable by the court system, eventually. This case is and has been enbroiled with custody issues and this is unfortunatly a part of this issue. My understanding is unless the child is found dead there will still be the issue of supporting HaLeigh when she is recovered. The fact is until their is a suspect arrested and charged with abducting HaLeigh we will not be able to speculate at this point and come to any true conclusion of what will and will not be needed or done legally in regards to supporting HaLeigh. Still not facts that are going to help us find HaLeigh.

I'm curious SS, why do think Crystal should continue paying support for Haleigh when she's been gone for six months? And if Haleigh's never found, should Crystal continue paying until Haleigh's 18th birthday?
Yes, I do think she should continue to pay support up until the time Haleigh is declared legally dead or the court declares her no longer a part of the custody agreement (not sure what legal basis they would have to remove her besides being declared legally dead tho). A missing child should continue to be part of the family and in a case where custody could be an issue which may go towards motive then support for the child should be paid as it was set up beforehand, imo.

In other cases where the child goes missing, are they all relieved of their legal obligation to pay support to the custodial parent? If so, I have never heard of it before...but I will certainly check it out.

Yes, I do think she should continue to pay support up until the time Haleigh is declared legally dead or the court declares her no longer a part of the custody agreement (not sure what legal basis they would have to remove her besides being declared legally dead tho). A missing child should continue to be part of the family and in a case where custody could be an issue which may go towards motive then support for the child should be paid as it was set up beforehand, imo.

In other cases where the child goes missing, are they all relieved of their legal obligation to pay support to the custodial parent? If so, I have never heard of it before...but I will certainly check it out.

Thanks, I'd like to know how it's been dealt with in other cases. However, I don't think suspending support means you're declaring the child is no longer a part of the family, nor do I think support should continue for a missing child "in case" custody was a motive for the child to go missing.

I look forward to seeing what you find out.

Thanks, I'd like to know how it's been dealt with in other cases. However, I don't think suspending support means you're declaring the child is no longer a part of the family, nor do I think support should continue for a missing child "in case" custody was a motive for the child to go missing.

I look forward to seeing what you find out.

I usually just lurk, but ITA. I also think support should be suspended during the time a child is missing. If the child isn't physically in the home being taken care of, there is no reason for the other parent to continue paying support.

I usually just lurk, but ITA. I also think support should be suspended during the time a child is missing. If the child isn't physically in the home being taken care of, there is no reason for the other parent to continue paying support.

At what point do you think child support should be suspended? On Day 1? Week 2? There would have to be guidelines - don't you think? (These are honest questions, btw).

Let me try to make a point... in most child custody cases, the non-residential parent has an extended visit during summer. During this time, the non-custodial parent is still obligated to pay child support during the extended visit - even though the child(ren) will be with the parent at that time. That is because the residential parent still has the obligation to maintain a home, clothing, insurance, etc - everything that a child will need - even if the child(ren) is away during that time.

So, my question would be, if a child goes missing, what do you consider a proper amount of time for a child to be missing before a Court orders payment on that child to stop? The residential (custodial) parent is still going to be maintaining a home for the child and hoping that the child comes home. Do you think there should be a federal guideline in place?

When a child is missing the custodial parent is not providing food, clothes, medical care, school expenses, etc. for that child. I do not think the non-custodial parent should have to pay while that child is missing. Nothing is being spent on that child.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Mr_Psycho