Silver Alert CT - Jennifer Dulos, 50, New Canaan, 24 May 2019 #15 *ARRESTS*

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
Even if he gets a change of venue, the case will have to be tried in the state of Connecticut because the case must be tried in the state where the murder occurred. In states like Florida, a change of venue can make a huge difference simply because of the state's diversity and the difference in jury composition between places like Pensacola and Miami. I am not sure how much difference a change of venue will make in Connecticut?

I was being a bit flippant with the Florida reference...sorry. During and after the Casey Anthony trial many people were shocked by the not guilty verdict and questioned the jury composition. IMO, NP would love to find another group of jurors who have difficulty with circumstantial evidence...MOO.

Even if he gets a change of venue, the case will have to be tried in the state of Connecticut because the case must be tried in the state where the murder occurred. In states like Florida, a change of venue can make a huge difference simply because of the state's diversity and the difference in jury composition between places like Pensacola and Miami. I am not sure how much difference a change of venue will make in Connecticut?
CA's trial had jurors hand selected from a pool of Orlando residents who compose a very diverse population. Jurors there
can run the gamut from almost homeless people to very wealthy
celebrities. So the selection process is a science almost by itself.
Most good jury consultants can almost predict how a juror will
vote and then play to those people in the case.
It's a fascinating part of a trial.

CA's trial had jurors hand selected from a pool of Orlando residents who compose a very diverse population. Jurors there
can run the gamut from almost homeless people to very wealthy
celebrities. So the selection process is a science almost by itself.
Most good jury consultants can almost predict how a juror will
vote and then play to those people in the case.
It's a fascinating part of a trial.
Wasn't the jury selected from another county, and rather than move the trial venue the jury was sequestered. Both things affected the outcome of the trial, IMOO.

I agree-I doubt anyplace in Ct would be any better than another. NP needs to hope, not for an uneducated jury, but rather for an unintelligent one-one that can’t logically think through this; one that can get caught in NP’s weeds.
I think even an uneducated jury will see NP and his cronies as fat cats licking their chops every time FD pitches a fit or tells another lie they have to cover up, and their paws have to start typing and spinning out a new story and sending out a new bill.

Wasn't the jury selected from another county, and rather than move the trial venue the jury was sequestered. Both things affected the outcome of the trial, IMOO.
The Anthony jury was also "death-qualified" because the state was seeking the death penalty. Many in the legal community thought the decision to seek the death penalty was a mistake. Death qualifying a jury tends to skew the make-up of the jurors, to the detriment of the state. Lots of hard lessons were learned in the Anthony trial. What must be remembered, though, is that the state could never prove cause of death in that case. Here, there is clear evidence of a serious physical assault on JD. The forensics are much stronger in other respects also. Nonetheless, the state needs to hire the best forensic experts available and not allow itself to be outgunned by "experts" seeking to capitalize on the public interest in such cases.

Do not be surprised to learn that many of the folks on JD's defense team are NOT being paid. Other than Jose Baez, who received $ selling pictures to The Enquirer, not a single member of the defense team ever was paid in Anthony, including the experts and investigators. Guess the publicity was enough for them. Folks like Cheney Mason are said to been out of pocket big, big bucks. Why anyone would ever agree to represent FD for free is beyond me-guess the hope is $ from book deals, etc., will materialize on the tail end (although that hope did not materialize in the Anthony case). Baez, not a particularly exceptional trial attorney certainly has used that trial to his maximum advantage. I think that is what NP has in mind for himself.

IMO the conditions of his release preclude FD from taking custody of JD's children even if a family judge is foolish enough to give him custody. In some states, GF could also ask the state to file a dependency petition on the grounds that the children's safety would be endangered if FD were to take custody of them. The judge will be very aware of the optics and what has happened to other children in similar situations. In light of FD's prior conduct, I have a very hard time believing that any judge, much less the one who has witnesses his antics for the last to years (including JD invoking his 5th Amendment right against self-incrimination in order to avoid testifying about his whereabouts on the day of JD's murder at the last hearing), is going to even consider allowing FD to take custody of those children. This is why FD is trying to invoke procedural grounds for his motion to dismiss-he wants to have his cake and eat it, too. If the court lacks jurisdiction, he avoids his day of having to tell the truth about what he did. A petition to declare the children dependent avoids this problem and I have no doubt GF's very experienced attorneys are considering all options.

Thank you! This is very helpful and reassuring. As you noted, FD certainly seems to be all about having his cake and eating it, too, with multiple examples like him wanting to have his girlfriend and his wife plus the kids live in the same house. Audacity, arrogance...many “a” words apply including some that cannot be used here! Again, thank you for your calm, informative words.

Exactly what does a PI in this case look for? Her body? I find it hard to think that there are facts that lead away from his involvement. Is the PI required to share what he finds with LE like LE has to do with defense counsel?
My guess is that the PI is going to do exactly what we on this thread have been doing: case timeline, identify involved people, trace movements, look for evidence, track back witness stmts, identify and follow up leads. etc.

No Case Norm was forced to hire the investigator as the warrants are sealed, discovery on the existing case is going slowly and LE has had no Press Conf. to discuss anything regarding the case. So, NCN is sitting with a client no doubt used to controlling everything in his world and they have next to nothing to work with.

I think even an uneducated jury will see NP and his cronies as fat cats licking their chops every time FD pitches a fit or tells another lie they have to cover up, and their paws have to start typing and spinning out a new story and sending out a new bill.

Right-education level, as far as I am concerned, matters less than innate intelligence, especially if the juror has a fully functional BS meter. You can’t really “educate” that into people. I think NP better be careful if he thinks he is going to try to get an urban jury from Bridgeport, New Haven, or some of the other “poorer” locations in CT. He might make the mistake of thinking that people with no college education are not smart enough to figure out what happened.

Yes you're correct Tink, they were selected from Pinellas County.
Here's some info on selecting the right kind of people for a jury and who will be
excused from a homicide trial: Hint- independent thinkers, leaders, people who can connect the dots on their own. They want those who can be led to a conclusion.

The Not So Obvious Lessons From The Casey Anthony Trial

Last edited:
Right-education level, as far as I am concerned, matters less than innate intelligence, especially if the juror has a fully functional BS meter. You can’t really “educate” that into people. I think NP better be careful if he thinks he is going to try to get an urban jury from Bridgeport, New Haven, or some of the other “poorer” locations in CT. He might make the mistake of thinking that people with no college education are not smart enough to figure out what happened.
It’s further complicated by the fact that FD went to Albany Ave with the bloody bags, hoping to pin it on such a neighborhood. Certainly the defense would play that up to the hilt with an urban jury from Bpt or NH which wouldn’t work in FDs favor in the least.

All one needs is common sense to find him guilty.

He definitely doesn’t want a Bridgeport jury. I served as a juror about 5 years ago and nearly every juror was college educated. New Haven wouldn’t be much better as Yale is there. Litchfield County is a lot of wealthy, educated people too. He’s going to want it in New Britain where all the Greek people live.

Doubt it’s her but
Body found in Naugatuck River in Torrington
Connecticut State Police Dive Team is assisting the recovery of the body.
Torrington police said the body was found floating in the river near Riverside Avenue and the State Police dive team has been called in to assist in the recovery.

torrington_map_1523650141485_39833390_ver1.0-1.jpg

Deceased body found in Naugatuck River

Several hours ago I asked if anyone knew anything about the body parts found in Coney Island. I also said that it is in the same water 2 hours away from New Canaan. They have found dismembered body parts. To ANYONE who has been here from the beginning when the majority of us had the feeling FD dismembered JD, can you PLEASE respond? There was a body/body parts found that could be JD
I have not found more information online that could help us.

Doubt it’s her but
Body found in Naugatuck River in Torrington

Torrington Police investigate body found in Naugatuck River
The body was found Wednesday morning by the resident of 96 Riverside Ave. The body was about 30 feet from shore, police Lt. Bart Barown said.

Barown said shortly after 11 a.m. that they don’t know if the body was that of a man or a woman. They also do not know if the death was suspicious.

I think NP better be careful if he thinks he is going to try to get an urban jury from Bridgeport, New Haven, or some of the other “poorer” locations in CT. He might make the mistake of thinking that people with no college education are not smart enough to figure out what happened.

Pattis is a successful veteran trial lawyer who has represented people from various walks of life in various types of cases involving various types of juries and jurors. He's thought and written a lot about the role of the jury, the jury selection process, and how much power jurors hold. I'd guess he may have some good ideas on what kind of jurors would be bad for his side and what kind of jurors would listen to him.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
maxnum