Silver Alert CT - Jennifer Dulos, 50, New Canaan, 24 May 2019 *ARRESTS* #24

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
Early on I posted that an insanity defense could be a good defense. I just don’t know how personality disorder rises to insanity. Must be some level to reach insanity defense. Any criminal people out there?
No it does not. Insanity is an affirmative defense, which means the defendant bears the burden of proving it and the State is never obliged to rebut it. It can be rejected by the jury outright, even if there is no contrary evidence to rebut it.

There are a variety of standards by which to determine whether a person was insane at the time of the offense , but all are quite difficult to establish. Most states now have guilty but insane, so that even if a defendant is acquitted due to insanity, civil commitment proceedings can be instituted by the State.

To succeed an insanity defense, the accused must show that he suffered a mental defect such that he was unable to tell the difference between right and wrong or was unable to conform his conduct to the requirements of the law. "Irresistible impulse" was once used in some states, but not so much anymore.

There is no way Dulos can meet any of those standards, not that I think he would try. He would never allow Pattis to portray him in any but the most flattering light. At this late date, I cannot see how it would be a credible defense anyway.

Dulos is not that special. The prisons are full of people with personality disorders; the use of the term is merely a way to explain a certain set of characteristics and behaviors. Many of these behaviors are commonly seen in violent offenders.

Last edited:
If it was luck, then he got pretty lucky that morning-not running into the housekeeper, for one example. Unless he spent the night prior to the murder in NC, he got lucky that he didn’t hit some traffic driving down that morning and miss his window of opportunity. He got lucky that nobody came to Jennifer’s house while he was there. Funny-he may have left that to chance, but in the part where he planned things-having and keeping EE/PG’s Tacoma, he was unlucky. He, I think, meant to use that truck to dispose of everything Jennifer-related, but was forced to use his own truck to do so. I guess he didn’t think he needed any luck with EE/PG; it never occurred to him that he wouldn’t be able to easily convince his employee to use the much newer and nicer Raptor for the weekend.

Again I find it ironic that FD assumed that someone with an older and less nice vehicle would absolutely rather drive someone else’s nicer vehicle given the chance. I personally would far rather drive my older car than borrow another person’s vehicle just because that feels like owing them and I don’t have to worry if I scratch my own car or whatever. And EE probably knows how FD was about his possessions and that car wreck with that poor woman that time plus he probably was worried about what FD might do with the truck over the weekend like something else related to a crime. But FD couldn’t imagine anyone turning down a shinier object because he wouldn’t unless he had an ulterior motive. Just MOO.

I can see this. I wonder though if part of the whole alibi script was that MT would be 'manning' the phones and answering in his name to make it seem like he just couldn't get to the phone at that moment? This would tie her directly into the crime IMO. MT knew the phone was at 4Jx bc FD left it there. Was her job to answer it or do anything else with the phone? Ditto for the time gaps on the phone at 80 MS? I do wonder though when FD might have been expecting the call about the arrangements for the children and pickup? Who would that call have come from? Did he call GF or the nanny or did he make an error and attempt to contact one of the children?
For the afternoon phone times, AW2 states that FD called EE at 2:31 pm to ask when EE would return to “the office”, so FD was with his phone at that time. (LE can see where he actually was when he made that call, ie, if he was at 80MS or somewhere else.)
Here’s what I piece together about phone and FD movements in the afternoon:
FD arrives in red truck 80MS 12:22p captured on camera. Presumed FD is coming direct from NC so his phone still at 4JC where he left it that morning.
AW1: FD phone moves from 4JC to 80MS arriving 80MS 1:37pm. He’s gone from 80MS to 4JC in this time (“lunch” with MT) Or, he’s at 80MS the whole time and MT brings his phone from 4JC to 80MS.
AW2: FD makes phonecall to EE and they speak, 2:31pm. FD must be placed at 80MS at this time point given that AW1 says FD phone stayed at 80MS the entire time between 1:37-3:38.
AW1: FD phone moves from 80MS to 4JC at 3:38pm, arriving at 4:17.
Suspicious time gap here. Did FD walk home to get another vehicle, so that there would be N+1 vehicles at 80MS when EE arrived, or did he detour somewhere else along the way? Driving should only take 5 mins. We know that EE and FD has to shuttle vehicles between 80MS and 4JC after 4:30pm (AW2). So somehow one too many vehicles (eg, 4 incl. red truck and Raptor) ended up at 80MS by 4:30 when EE arrived. Or had extra vehicle been there all along and FD was driving and went somewhere else in that extra 25 minutes?) also remote possibility that MT has and is doing something with FD phone in this time period.
FD (or MT) must once again leave FD phone at 4JC at 4:17, because FD and MT are both back at 80MS standing in the driveway at 4:30 (approx) when EE arrives there but FD phone doesn’t move back to 80MS until 5;21p (AW1). Maybe FD doesn’t want EE to be able to reach or find him since they were supposed to meet at 4JC and EE is surprised he is not there (“gone waterskiing” AW2). Maybe FD hopes EE will just go home in Raptor if he can’t reach FD. EE somehow knows to go to 80MS but it doesn’t involve FD phone since phone is still at 4JC between 4:17 and 5:21.
Sometime after 4:30 FD and EE go back to 4JC to shuttle cars (thus the 4 cars at 80MS scenario needed; if 3 cars then no shuttle needed and EE could have left then.)
At 5: 21 FD phone arrives back at 80MS. Is FD with EE then or has EE already left? Latter would require another round trip for FD between 80MS and 4JC. Latter unlikely as FD called MT to bring key back during this time (AW2).
5:34pm FD phone back at 4JC. Leaves again 19:10 to Albany. Bloody bag transfer into Raptor at 80MS must have occurred after 4:30 when EE arrives in Raptor and before 5:34 when FD phone goes back to 4JC.
MOO.

Last edited:
I went to the reservoirs about 6:10 PM EST to look around. There was an MDC officer stopping people at the entrance but he did let me go in after explaining they would be closing in just about an hour.

I told the officer I had never been there before and asked if I could drive around the various reservoirs. He said cars were only permitted in the designated parking area. Aside from that it was walking, running, and bicycling, except where it's marked not to, and he got a brochure with a map for me from his vehicle. I find the water tanks north of 4JC and just below Kilkenney Rock interesting as I think there would have to be roads to get to them.

As I headed toward the parking area the first thing I came to was something called the Demonstration Forest.

There were several cameras around the parking area and at the trail beginnings.

All of the trails I saw off of the parking area were big enough to accommodate vehicles and they all had barricades to keep this from happening. The second barricade photo is of the trail you would need to take to get to reservoir 3, the one closest to 4JC, notice how thick and absolute pitch black it is in those woods?

Now for what scared the you know what out of me...when I left the reservoir property I decided to drive to the next surface street to see if I could tell where the reservoir property ended. The first road I came to was Old Mountain Road and I turned right. I followed it past a small residential area known as Oakland Acres and then saw the fence at the edge of the MDC property. As I drove along looking at this fence, I saw an opening that wasn't locked and was just sitting wide open. This peaked my curiosity because I was about a 1/4mile from where you would turn onto Ely Road to go to 4JC and I thought of FD using something like this. I mean, if this one is just sitting there open like that, how many others along the rest of the property edge are too? I then said to myself "I should take a picture of that to post" and I looked in my rear view mirror to see if anyone was behind me. There wasn't so I quickly put it into reverse and started backing up. The next time I looked I saw there was now a vehicle on the road behind me but it was a good distance back and I couldn't make out what type of vehicle it was. So I hurried up, pulled off the road in front of the open gate as best I could, and put my emergency flashers on. It was at this moment in my peripheral vision that I saw a very nice, newer, polished black truck pulling up slowly next to my car. I freaked out thinking it was you know who or that he had recognized my car from my other excursions around his stomping grounds. Thankfully it wasn't FD and the very nice gentleman left after asking if I was okay and/or if I needed help but boy oh boy did it scare me good!
Thank you very much for going there and taking the pics and providing us with this information!

Many people who work in animal slaughtering facilities are similar to some farmers where
they view the animals as livestock and a product to be processed and eaten.
But the other side of the coin is when people
raise the animal themselves and get to realize
just as we do with dogs and cats as pets, that
'livestock' also have brains and feelings.
When you keep a cow or horse or even chickens or pigs, you get to know the animals'
personalities and their attachment to you the caregiver can be quite strong and affectionate
and endearing.
I've had chickens for eggs and of course they became entertaining pets who come running across the barnyard when they see you or you call them. Could I slaughter them to eat when they get too old to lay eggs? Never. Thank goodness the foxes or coyotes usually get them first or I'd have a bunch of elderly, senile chickens around.
Same w/ larger animals. I witnessed hog killings as a youngster on a farm, but I could never undertake that myself. I'd go vegan first.
I suppose it's what you're accustomed to and how you view the animals.

I can’t do it, either, and haven’t eaten meat of any type since I was a kid and realized what meat was. I live in a rural farm area and this is heresy although I don’t bring it up; if someone notices, I just say, “I don’t worry about what others eat; this is just what I do.” It’s no big deal but I can’t take the fair when the 4H kids have raised their pet cows and pigs and then the animals go to slaughter. No way; no how. My kids did 4H with CATS (that were certainly not sold!)! If they’d done farm animals, I’d have to buy the animals at auction and then they’d be pasture pets for life. It’s their culture and I’m mostly live and let live (FD excluded) so I just say it’s more meat for them! Fun for the day: When I first moved here, I once was looking in the dairy aisle of the one little store that was once here and the clerk asked if he could help me find something. I said I was looking for tofu. The whole place went silent; culture shock for them and me but I should have known better! Lol! Never dull! :)

So is this latest search of reservoir over? If so I don’t think they are ever going to find her. Ugh. Will have to roll the dice on a murder 1 case with available evidence. The case will have to be for first degree tho as this is not a heat of passion. Clearly premeditated. Basically an all or nothing proposition.

No it does not. Insanity is an affirmative defense, which means the defendant bears the burden of proving it and the State is never obliged to rebut it. It can be rejected by the jury outright, even if there is no contrary evidence to rebut it.

There are a variety of standards by which to determine whether a person was insane at the time of the offense , but all are quite difficult to establish. Most states now have guilty but insane, so that even if a defendant is acquitted due to insanity, civil commitment proceedings can be instituted by the State.

To succeed an insanity defense, the accused must show that he suffered a mental defect such that he was unable to tell the difference between right and wrong or was unable to conform his conduct to the requirements of the law. "Irresistible impulse" was once used in some states, but not so much anymore.

There is no way Dulos can meet any of those standards, not that I think he would try. He would never allow Pattis to portray him in any but the most flattering light. At this late date, I cannot see how it would be a credible defense anyway.

Dulos is not that special. The prisons are full of people with personality disorders; the use of the term is merely a way to explain a certain set of characteristics and behaviors. Many of these behaviors are commonly seen in violent offenders.
Agree. Insanity has zero chance of being successful here. This is as cold and calculated and driven by money and all sorts of other issues that do not involve being dissociated from reality etc which you would need for insanity.

Yes, so with you on acclimation! Food processing and medical fields share this in common IME. I will never forget seeing a processed meat processing plant or even a hog or cattle yard/lot for the first time. Nope. Blood, feces and smells are imprinted on your brain. Will never forget it, even though I spent alot of time around it.

But I also grew up with a corner butcher and seeing whole animals brought in for butchering so little about the food preparation business surprised me other than the amount of blood. Now I read trade info about how millennials and younger folks don't like touching meat and so processing is gradually changing to accommodate this issue! Not sure how these folks would feel visiting where their highly packaged meat comes from!

MOO

I know what you mean on all of this! My relatives grew up on farms and no one who lives where I do has any doubt about where meat comes from and how, so they’re aware, which seems like a good thing to me since informed choices are vital, in MOO. I had no idea processing was being changed as a result of those generational preferences. Interesting! You’re so right that the highly packaged meat in big box stores seems very far from the original source! Fascinating world! I think someone mentioned FD eating chili Doritos behind bars? If so—trivia again—; he’s having a vegan snack! Who knew?! Lol!

So is this latest search of reservoir over? If so I don’t think they are ever going to find her. Ugh. Will have to roll the dice on a murder 1 case with available evidence. The case will have to be for first degree tho as this is not a heat of passion. Clearly premeditated. Basically an all or nothing proposition.

I still think they will find something sometime and they have some already in MOO! Every search where nothing is found narrows the search a little bit at least. I hope anyway! MOO!

I can’t do it, either, and haven’t eaten meat of any type since I was a kid and realized what meat was. I live in a rural farm area and this is heresy although I don’t bring it up; if someone notices, I just say, “I don’t worry about what others eat; this is just what I do.” It’s no big deal but I can’t take the fair when the 4H kids have raised their pet cows and pigs and then the animals go to slaughter. No way; no how. My kids did 4H with CATS (that were certainly not sold!)! If they’d done farm animals, I’d have to buy the animals at auction and then they’d be pasture pets for life. It’s their culture and I’m mostly live and let live (FD excluded) so I just say it’s more meat for them! Fun for the day: When I first moved here, I once was looking in the dairy aisle of the one little store that was once here and the clerk asked if he could help me find something. I said I was looking for tofu. The whole place went silent; culture shock for them and me but I should have known better! Lol! Never dull! :)
4-H with CATS!!!! falling down laughing.
Never heard of that but I totally agree. I've asked the mothers of these kids who sell their
year long 'livestock' to be slaughtered to the highest bidder and I just don't get it.
I have these big beautiful pastures and people are always asking me to let them put calves or cows out there and I say nope, couldn't deal w/
those critters and see them everyday peacefully munchin my grass and then one day they load 'em up to go to slaughter.
Nope, not my cup of tea. glad I'm not the only weirdo that thinks like that.

I don’t know, MassGuy, the blood that he didn’t manage to clean on his own would have continued to decompose in the 6 days after the body was in there. I’ll bet that truck did smell pretty funky by May 29th.

Depending on how much blood was there, yes, but surely it wasn’t that large and visible or someone would have cleaned it up. I hope. I don’t know how much dried blood smells. Tissue is another matter. Power was out in this area for 10 days once and this is a place where most everyone has big freezers of meat, etc. I heard awful stories. Yuck. MOO.

4-H with CATS!!!! falling down laughing.
Never heard of that but I totally agree. I've asked the mothers of these kids who sell their
year long 'livestock' to be slaughtered to the highest bidder and I just don't get it.
I have these big beautiful pastures and people are always asking me to let them put calves or cows out there and I say nope, couldn't deal w/
those critters and see them everyday peacefully munchin my grass and then one day they load 'em up to go to slaughter.
Nope, not my cup of tea. glad I'm not the only weirdo that thinks like that.

Yes! We had a cat show even about the care of the cats! Our club won first place for best 4H booth one year and some people were unhappy and shocked (it’s a big deal to win that and cats were not on the radar!)! I’m exactly the same way about my barn and land! People ask me to do the same and I say no, too, for the very same reason! You aren’t a weirdo; you just know your own mind and limits! :) MOO.

I have always thought that FD would keep the best attorney money can buy for himself and let his accomplice take the lesser attorney. The Real Criminal Defense Attorney on the other end of the Divorce Baby Shark's cell phone may have wanted to keep his identity secret from LE and so only Divorce Baby Shark's cell was used in communications with FD (hence, nothing interesting on the Apple iPhone X). Stamford based sole practitioner Divorce Baby Shark will take the fall for the bad cell phone advice, if need be. But even Sheldon Silver got caught billing for "consulting" through other attorneys. While FD was getting tip top criminal law advice, including the subtleties of attorney client conflict of interest rules, I suppose his hapless accomplice was not similarly briefed and, whaddya know, the cat got out of the bag. Smart as MT is, international business woman and all, eastern seaboard persnicketiness about ethics and such never really came to play in her life experience. So far. MOO. Riccio, by the way, is established in CT as a top criminal defense attorney who works to get the best, realistic deal for his clients who, for the most part, probably did it. That includes doing jail time. Navin, Farren (White House lawyer), teen who stabbed his high school crush because she wouldn't go to the prom with him. MOO.

For the afternoon phone times, AW2 states that FD called EE at 2:31 pm to ask when EE would return to “the office”, so FD was with his phone at that time. (LE can see where he actually was when he made that call, ie, if he was at 80MS or somewhere else.)
Here’s what I piece together about phone and FD movements in the afternoon:
FD arrives in red truck 80MS 12:22p captured on camera. Presumed FD is coming direct from NC so his phone still at 4JC where he left it that morning.
AW1: FD phone moves from 4JC to 80MS arriving 80MS 1:37pm. He’s gone from 80MS to 4JC in this time (“lunch” with MT) Or, he’s at 80MS the whole time and MT brings his phone from 4JC to 80MS.
AW2: FD makes phonecall to EE and they speak, 2:31pm. FD must be placed at 80MS at this time point given that AW1 says FD phone stayed at 80MS the entire time between 1:37-3:38.
AW1: FD phone moves from 80MS to 4JC at 3:38pm, arriving at 4:17.
Suspicious time gap here. Did FD walk home to get another vehicle, so that there would be N+1 vehicles at 80MS when EE arrived, or did he detour somewhere else along the way? Driving should only take 5 mins. We know that EE and FD has to shuttle vehicles between 80MS and 4JC after 4:30pm (AW2). So somehow one too many vehicles (eg, 4 incl. red truck and Raptor) ended up at 80MS by 4:30 when EE arrived. Or had extra vehicle been there all along and FD was driving and went somewhere else in that extra 25 minutes?) also remote possibility that MT has and is doing something with FD phone in this time period.
FD (or MT) must once again leave FD phone at 4JC at 4:17, because FD and MT are both back at 80MS standing in the driveway at 4:30 (approx) when EE arrives there but FD phone doesn’t move back to 80MS until 5;21p (AW1). Maybe FD doesn’t want EE to be able to reach or find him since they were supposed to meet at 4JC and EE is surprised he is not there (“gone waterskiing” AW2). Maybe FD hopes EE will just go home in Raptor if he can’t reach FD. EE somehow knows to go to 80MS but it doesn’t involve FD phone since phone is still at 4JC between 4:17 and 5:21.
Sometime after 4:30 FD and EE go back to 4JC to shuttle cars (thus the 4 cars at 80MS scenario needed; if 3 cars then no shuttle needed and EE could have left then.)
At 5: 21 FD phone arrives back at 80MS. Is FD with EE then or has EE already left? Latter would require another round trip for FD between 80MS and 4JC. Latter unlikely as FD called MT to bring key back during this time (AW2).
5:34pm FD phone back at 4JC. Leaves again 19:10 to Albany. Bloody bag transfer into Raptor at 80MS must have occurred after 4:30 when EE arrives in Raptor and before 5:34 when FD phone goes back to 4JC.
MOO.

You guys ASTOUND me with this kind of organizational synthesis! Amazing!

I signed up for Google alerts on FD and JD to reduce the chance that I’m working on things and miss something big and most are things we’ve seen here already. This one link today talks about a case where CT prosecuted successfully without a body. It requires you to sign up for a free CT Insider email newsletter and I did but can’t read it right now but it has 76 photos! Whoa! Not sure how I could share the info here since pasting it all if I even could would be against the Fair Use policy but you guys could subscribe at the link and read yourselves if you want:

Ruling recalls notorious crime with parallels to Dulos

Not sure of its value; just FYI. MOO.

In regards to our discussion earlier about other attorneys that FD has been involved with, I find Eugene Riccio and Jacob Pyetranker and I 'think' Pyetranker was the attorney who was with FD when FD handed over his cell phone to LE and I also think Pyetranker also represented FD in the divorce/custody case also. I am not 100% sure of this so I will say JMO. Hope this helps.

See Lt. Brian Foley's twitter here and Fox News, his previous employer for the past year, says
"Explosive Revelations in the cases of missing mom, Jennifer Dulos as police say her estranged husband disposed her body in trash bags. Former Homicide Detective Foley breaks down the details.
So this confirms what the locals have said that
LE there still believe she was at MIRA and that they
undertook the reservoir searches because they
received several tips from Farmington area
locals.
Scroll down for the statement and video.
Brian Foley (@LtFoley) | Twitter
So, then they are looking for a weapon, and perhaps bones?

I read those partial transcripts. He and his lawyer were definitely trying to evade Dulos' legal responsibility to proved financial accurate information to Jennifer's lawyer and to the family court. IMO Dulos had a real shell game going on, and his lawyer knew it. His evasion was on full display.

Dulos saw the divorce as a battle he must WIN. I believe his lawyer encouraged that idea, just like Pattis is seems to be telling Dulos what he wants to hear now. I believe we are going to hear that Dulos knew his financial fraud was in the process of being exposed. That certainty really took him over the edge at some point. Divorce lawyer was doing everything possible to cover for Dulos, but that couldn't last forever.

Most lawyers would have insisted on honest compliance with his discovery obligations from the very beginning of the divorce. Even among the wealthy, it isn't that difficult to prepare a truthful financial affidavit.The fact that his lawyer seemed to encourage (based on my reading of those transcripts) Dulos' bad behavior is a reflection on both Dulos and his lawyer.

I wonder if the lawyer will ever question his encouragement of Dulos' bad behavior, which reinforced his client's mindset of "poor me","I am the real victim","I love my kids so much I am willing to do anything for them","Jennifer is a heroin addict, crazy, an unfit mother", etc. It was precisely this type of thinking that Dulos used to justify this murder.

Perhaps when he and Dulos were alone, the lawyer was insisting Dulos follow the court's orders and provide truthful information, but somehow I don't think so. IMO that attorney has much to atone for as the result of his conduct in the divorce case, but I doubt he will give it a second thought. MOO.
So the stalling, and the jerking around of the Faber family, and of course JD was perfectly legal. So basically, motions could be filed and the game goes on an on?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Cassie1678