Deceased/Not Found CT - Jennifer Dulos, 50, New Canaan, 24 May 2019 *ARRESTS* #41

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
A Superior Court judge Wednesday ordered three new re-arrest warrants for Fotis Dulos, who is charged with killing his estranged wife but is now in “dire condition” in a New York hospital after a suicide attempt.

“His medical condition is dire,” Norm Pattis, lawyer for Dulos, told Judge Gary White in Superior Court in Stamford. Pattis agreed to waive extradition proceedings so that Dulos’ family can have access to him at the Jacobi Medical Center.

Sources said Farmington police are still working to obtain a warrant to search the Jefferson Crossing home, but they have not yet secured one. It is unclear at this point what crime, if any, police would cite in requesting legal authority to search the premises to see if there was a note or other evidence related to the attempted suicide.
Farmington police had been at the house Tuesday and suspended their investigation overnight, he said. Crews returned Wednesday morning and McKenzie said Farmington police borrowed Newington police’s mobile command center.

There were police vehicles at the house overnight simply to guard the scene, which is a common practice for ongoing investigations...

Judge orders re-arrest warrants for Fotis Dulos, who remains in ‘dire condition’ in New York hospital after suicide attempt
I'm sure LE is at FD in case he does die, the LE can enter the property. Also to keep anyone from entering the house as well.

Huh? The only time you do CPR is if there is a cardiac arrest (heart has stopped). It's not something they have to say, we saw them doing CPR, which means he was in cardiac arrest (or at least the personnel that started CPR thought so).

What would lead you to think any medical personnel talked to the press?

(BTW, it's HIPAA, Health Insurance Portability and Accountability Act.)
We saw any number of things done by the first responders yesterday (CPR, O2 and possible intubation). There was never a specific briefing from UCONN yesterday on what exactly Fd had been treated for and so to hear the scanner clip confirm cardiac arrest gave some support to what we visually saw which was the extended session of CPR yesterday. We had lots of different POV also about what actually might have been done at 4Jx, in the ambulance on way to UCONN and at UCONN. In many cases you might see a medical briefing but here we didn't get that and so folks are simply trying to piece it all together.

If you'd love to watch the footage from yesterday and are willing to give us a blow by blow then I'm sure folks here that are interested would really appreciate your insight.

MOO

CPR is used when a person is not breathing. You don't have to assess if the patient is in cardiac arrest - if s/he isn't breathing, you do CPR.

I'm sure medical folks here will chime in.

jmo

I am not a medical folk by any means, but my sister OD'd (she's alive) on heroin and once we found her we had to give her CPR until the EMTs arrived. Her heart had not stopped, but she was having trouble breathing. It was very shallow.

I am not sure even the oldest boys are old enough to go into the ICU. The ICU with all of the equipment keeping him alive and his lack of response would overwhelm an adult, never mind children. And what purpose would it serve?

I also think if the older two are allowed to see their Dad one last time, we will never hear of it; or will WAYYY after the fact...Maybe just maybe NP will shut his mouth about it...

Gloria and the Auntie will have to decide what's best...for the older ones..and I saw my MIL on a vent (ICU in a coma, not brain dead) and I was a grown adult and was absolutely shocked and unprepared for her situation, the tubes, the vent, the tape over her mouth..motionless in the bed..so for young teens..I don't know..its up to GF and her other daughter to call that shot..

Last edited:

Inside Edition coverage of yesterday

Interesting addition is that the alert said Fd was post cardiac arrest and suspected CO2 poisoning. We hadn't heard about cardiac arrest yesterday so far as I know.

That part sounds like it was picked up over the scanner or radio.
Cardiac arrest means his heart stopped or at least they suspected that it had. The cpr was performed to get his heart going again or maintain a rhythm until paramedics or doctors could use more advance measures or a dr or ME call TOD. Had they not done that there would be no reason to treat the carbon monoxide

CPR is used when a person is not breathing. You don't have to assess if the patient is in cardiac arrest - if s/he isn't breathing, you do CPR.

I'm sure medical folks here will chime in.

jmo

No, CPR is Cardio Pulmonary Resuscitation. It's compressions and breathing, for when someone is in cardiac arrest. If someone has a pulse but isn't breathing on their own they are in respiratory arrest, and you do only rescue breathing (just the Pulmonary Resuscitation part of CPR).

So how mostly dead is he? Is he expected to come out of whatever state he’s in? I can’t find details of his medical circumstances. Do they think he was not breathing and without heartbeat for quite a while?
From listening to quotes from the hearing today it sounds like FD is not expected to recover. Dire means not favorable for life on his own.
He's currently on a ventilator, not breathing on his own and we don't know the condition of his
heart or other organs.
Most likely doctors have done some evaluation on his chances of recovery and have determined it's not good. MOO.

I could be wrong, but I believe you only do CPR if there is no pulse.

Rescue breathing and CPR are not the same. If there is a pulse but no breathing/irregular breathing, I think you would do rescue breathing WITHOUT chest compressions.
Let's hear from the nurses/medical crew we have here! I think protocols have changed since I learned on Annie the CPR Dummy.

edited to add: not only have protocals change, I likely have forgotten a lot! Perhaps it's a reminder for some of us to get some updated training!!

jmo

Huh? The only time you do CPR is if there is a cardiac arrest (heart has stopped). It's not something they have to say, we saw them doing CPR, which means he was in cardiac arrest (or at least the personnel that started CPR thought so).

What would lead you to think any medical personnel talked to the press?

Yeah, I'm with you. If the news has gotten aerial footage, which we know they have, I don't think they did any more than speculate like we are, about what they're seeing underneath.

Where I work, confirming brain death and stopping life support takes about 3-4 days. There are several diagnostics tests that have to be completed and it takes time… I was curious what Dr. Google says about observation period etc. and found the following:

Observation period — The length of observation required to determine brain death varies extensively. A follow-up evaluation after 24 hours was an early requirement for brain death diagnosis in the United States. Later, requirements in this regard were made age dependent: a 48-hour evaluation interval for infants age seven days to two months, 24 hours for those greater than two months to one year, and 12 hours for those between 1 and 18 years.

An observation period for adults is considered optional; six hours is often recommended, with longer periods, up to 24 hours, recommended in cases of hypoxic-ischemic encephalopathy. Guidelines in other countries recommend longer observation periods. The American Academy of Neurology guideline update published in 2010 found insufficient evidence to determine a minimally acceptable observation period. In patients who have been resuscitated after cardiac arrest, we recommend observation for at least 24 hours from the time of the arrest, as spontaneous improvement in brainstem reflexes can occur hours after cardiac arrest. In such patients who have received induced hypothermia, the recovery time may be further extended, as some motor and brainstem reflexes may recover after being absent for three days. It may be advisable to perform an ancillary test of brain blood flow with such patients; electrophysiologic parameters may also be affected by induced hypothermia.

There are limited studies of serial examinations in this setting upon which to base recommendations for a required length of observation. One case series reviewed data from 1229 adult and 82 pediatric (greater than one year of age) cases of brain death. The interval between first and second examinations ranged from 3 to over 50 hours (mean 19.2 hours). None of the patients with an initial examination consistent with brain death regained brainstem function on repeat examination. However, rates of organ donation decreased with longer intervals between examinations.

Resource: https://www.uptodate.com/contents/diagnosis-of-brain-death

Bless you for providing some actual concrete medical info, as I think we've started to exhaust the freshness reserve on comments and insights provided by laypeople (I include myself in this comment, lol).

@AielloTV

Pattis says he “can’t speculate” on why Dulos attempted suicide and the defense is counting on physicians to clarify “what is reasonable to expect” in terms of prognosis for recovery.

Pattis repeatedly used the word “grim” to describe Fotis Dulos’s situation.
Defense second chair Kevin Smith told me he was “gutted” when he learned why Dulos did not show up for court yesterday. “I know to most people he’s just a story. To our office he is a human being and we are gutted.”

Hey, Atty Smith-you know who was a human being? Jennifer Farber

No, CPR is Cardio Pulmonary Resuscitation. It's compressions and breathing, for when someone is in cardiac arrest. If someone has a pulse but isn't breathing on their own they are in respiratory arrest, and you do only rescue breathing (just the Pulmonary Resuscitation part of CPR).
I stand corrected, gladly!

This is a very personal choice and differs for everyone IME. It's similar to the argument between open and closed casket funerals, only add the sterile environment of a hospital and lots of medical equipment.

Some want that last opportunity to say goodbye. Some don't want that mental image to be their last memory of a loved one.

some do, some don’t. I was about the age of the oldest kids when the doctors weren’t sure if my father would recover from the latest of of my father’s suicide attempts. My mom asked me if I wanted to go see him and I said no. Younger kids may feel differently. JMO and JME

Crucified HIM? Before you post such drivel, I recommend you read the hundreds of pages of actual evidence submitted in this case. Or are you part of the Cracker Jack PR team that came up with Mr. Pattis' cliched statements last night? If so, you need to take some more night classes at your local community college.

I can only assume you are somehow related to Mr. Dulos, and have decided to spread your venom to a group of total strangers. By the way, WE do not "provide" jurors, partial or impartial, nor were any posters here even remotely connected to this case. Get your facts straight before you post such ridiculous statements.

Lastly, the only people who should be ashamed of their conduct are Mr. Dulos and his attorneys; Dulos for the obvious reason that he murdered his wife, Pattis because he affirmatively misled his client (and the public) about the strength of the state's case. Perhaps if Pattis had been actually doing his job - and had a mental health professional monitor his client's emotional state - instead of running for the nearest camera/microphone wherever and whenever possible - his client would have been receiving the psychiatric care he so clearly needed! But, of course, that would have required Mr. Pattis to acknowledge that he is not the omnipotent, all-seeing God he thinks himself to be.

Instead, he was so focused on becoming a real life TV lawyer that did not give two cents about Mr. Dulos, except as a vehicle for further publicity. Around here, we call such lawyers 'fame *advertiser censored*'. If this case does not cause Pattis to seriously re-evaluate himself and his outrageous conduct, shame on him.

And shame on you for posting such garbage here!
Well said.

From listening to quotes from the hearing today it sounds like FD is not expected to recover. Dire means not favorable for life on his own.
He's currently on a ventilator, not breathing on his own and we don't know the condition of his
heart or other organs.
Most likely doctors have done some evaluation on his chances of recovery and have determined it's not good. MOO.
Yeah, I’m just waiting for news that he has been removed from life support.

I’m hoping that the media interviews experts to get a feel for how this could potentially impact the cases moving forward.

MT has to be kicking herself for not cooperating.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Heypig06