DC - Former President Donald Trump indicted, 4 federal counts in 2020 election interference, 1 Aug 2023, Trial 4 Mar 2024

Welcome to Websleuths!
Click to learn how to make a missing person's thread

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
Obama used the word to describe violent rioters. Trump used it to describe prosecutors who are doing their job and also threated them. If he keeps yapping, he could find himself being held in contempt.

JMO
Trump's threat was simple: "IF YOU GO AFTER ME, I’M COMING AFTER YOU!"

I expect this to happen. JMO, he's going to push it as far as he can, as he usually does. I don't think they'll send him to jail, though, perhaps fines.

Good point. Could this be considered an attempt to influence potential jurors? Wasn't he instructed not to do that?

jmo

Saw Lawrence Tribe and others talking about this last night and this morning. Yes, he'll make sure to try his case in the news media, in spite of warnings from the judge. I've seen a lot of defense attorneys doing this lately on high profile cases, just testing the limits of how far they can go. Its frustrating because the prosecution cannot respond to anything a defendant or his/her attorneys say in pretrial hearings or the news media.

JMO, IANAL the tactic can be used to influence the pool of potential jurors.

Obama used the word to describe violent rioters. Trump used it to describe prosecutors who are doing their job and also threated them. If he keeps yapping, he could find himself being held in contempt.

JMO
IMO, he needs to be in jail for this threat.

IF YOU GO AFTER ME, I’M COMING AFTER YOU!
^^
This quote is what Trump, former president of the United States of America, posted on his social media account, apparently to fellow Americans.

That's a threat.

jmo

Edited to add quote, comment.

Last edited:

As a reminder, the judge strictly warned Trump not to retaliate against anyone who could provide info about him, any witnesses, etc.

IMO saying “if you go after me, I’m coming after you“ is invoking retaliation.

The judge threatened that a warrant could be issued for his arrest if he doesn’t heed this warning.

Fingers crossed.

As a reminder, the judge strictly warned Trump not to retaliate against anyone who could provide info about him, any witnesses, etc.

IMO saying “if you go after me, I’m coming after you“ is invoking retaliation.

The judge threatened that a warrant could be issued for his arrest if he doesn’t heed this warning.

Fingers crossed.
We've seen what happens when he invokes this stuff. It's why he's in the self-made mess that he is. As tough as this new judge is, he may have just pushed it over the line.

We've seen what happens when he invokes this stuff. It's why he's in the self-made mess that he is. As tough as this new judge is, he may have just pushed it over the line.
Curious what excuse-making, gaslighting, and "whataboutism" his supports will spout. Actually, I'm not curious at all now that I think about it.

jmo

A former prosecutor knocked a Donald Trump defense attorney for what he deemed “not a smart move” and an “admission” on live TV related to the former’s president’s Jan. 6 charges.

Trump attorney John Lauro went on both Fox News and Newsmax to claim the then-president called on then-Vice President Mike Pence to bring Electoral College voting to a “halt” and let state legislatures “take one last look” before the count was certified.

“He desperately wanted to get to what happened during the 2020 cycle ... He asked Mr. Pence to pause the voting for 10 days, allow the state legislatures to weigh in, and then they could make a determination to audit or reaudit or recertify,” Lauro said on Newsmax Thursday.

“But what he didn’t do is, you know, send in the tanks, tell Mr. Pence don’t go to Capitol Hill or do anything to obstruct the due process of government.”

Lauro made similar comments on Fox News, which former Justice Department prosecutor Andrew Weissmann characterized on MSNBC as an admission and not a defense.

“A defense lawyer who makes a statement on behalf of their client — that is an admission,” Weissmann, an MSNBC contributor, told host Lawrence O’Donnell.

“Not that Donald Trump is going to testify, but if he were and he didn’t say exactly this thing, he can be cross-examined on this,” Weissmann continued. “So this was just a kind of rookie mistake to make ... This was not a smart move.”

Well as long as he didn't send in the tanks ... :rolleyes:

I'm having trouble remembering. Anyone know how this goes?

Is it: Anything you say can and will be used against you in a court of law.

Or: Go ahead, post inciteful words in all caps on social media. Your base will love it.

It's so easy to mix them up.

jmo

A lawyer for former President Donald Trump, Alina Habba, told reporters Thursday that "everybody was made aware" he lost the 2020 election — a key part of the case against him, which may hinge on prosecutors' ability to show that Trump sought to overturn the election even though he knew he had lost. Trump's legal and political advisers repeatedly told him he had lost the election but he continued to push forward anyway.

"But that doesn't mean that was the only advice he was given," Habba told reporters outside the D.C. courthouse where Trump was arraigned. "As anybody understands what happens in the Oval Office, there are a numerous amount of advisers and politicians and lawyers – not just one or two – that are giving you advice and telling you what they believe is true. So, he may not agree with Mike Pence. He may not agree with one of his lawyers. But that doesn't mean that there weren't other people advising him exactly the opposite. And the president has a right as every one of us do, to listen to several opinions and make their decision."

Former senior FBI agent Peter Strzok pointed out that Habba had effectively echoed the very "allegation" against Trump.

"Thank you for confirming an element of the crime," quipped national security attorney Bradley

It isn't just what he was told-60 judt94f

This case is not based just on what Trump was told: he knew that 60 judges, some appointed by him, ruled that there was no evidence to support voter fraud-- that is pretty strong when 60 judges ruled against him!!! Oh, and thank you Attorney Habba for assisting the government with their case!!!! awesome

I notice his use of "lawsuits," which technically is true, I suppose, but softens the fact he is charged with crimes. Felonies at that. Several. The likes we've never seen.

jmo
It never ends with him, constantly attempting to use the courts to get things to go his way. Just hazarding a guess that the Supreme court will not get involved in this. It would be funny, if it were not so serious and so tragic for our country.

From ‘Mr President’ to ‘Mr’: strongman Donald Trump cut down to size in court​

The shock of blond-grey hair was familiar. So was the blue suit, white shirt and red tie. So was the conspicuously assertive tug of the suit jacket.

But the Donald Trump who walked into courtroom 22 on Thursday was a Trump that the public never sees – meek, shrunken, stripped of bravado and any sense of control. And, quite possibly, scared.

[…]

On a day sure to be studied by future generations, Trump was arraigned on four criminal charges stemming from his efforts to remain in power after the 2020 election.

[…]

For four years, Trump would enter rooms to the strains of “Hail to the Chief” and everyone would rise to their feet. Now the power dynamics were reversed: at the cry of “All rise!”, it was he who was forced to stand.

Long accused of sexism, racism and xenophobia, he had to defer to magistrate judge Moxila Upadhyaya, a woman born in Gujarat, India. His future trial will be overseen by Judge Tanya Chutkan, a woman born in Kingston, Jamaica, and appointed to the bench by Barack Obama.

Upadhyaya made Trump stew by arriving about 15min late. He occupied that time sitting at a long table that bore a black computer monitor, microphone and sheets of paper. He folded and unfolded his hands, picked up a document and discarded it, turned and whispered to his lawyers. He scratched his nose, scribbled on a document and puffed out his cheeks. Like a child, he could not sit still.

The days when he could push a red button in the Oval Office to order a Diet Coke on a silver platter were long gone. The mouth that summoned armies of supporters to the nearby Capitol on January 6, or that delivers bellicose speeches at campaign rallies, was silenced. When Upadhyaya, firm but courteous, took her seat, she called him “Mr Trump” rather than “President Trump” – a citizen, no more and no less.

[…]

Dethroned, Trump was forced to undergo the same legal rituals as any other defendant. When a court deputy read aloud the name of the case – “United States of America v Donald J Trump” – he shook his head in disapproval.

[…]

Presidential historian Michael Beschloss has argued that, given America’s fractured and distorting media lens, the trial of Donald Trump should be broadcast live on television so every voter can witness how no one, not even a president, is above the law. Then the man who promised to make America great again might finally make it great after all.

AUG 4, 2023
[...]

"The only civil rights that have been violated in this matter are my civil rights," Trump argued before a crowd of roughly 2,700 attendees at the Alabama Republican Party summer dinner.

During his roughly 40-minute speech, the former president renewed his attacks on Justice Department special counsel Jack Smith, calling him a "deranged, sick person," and accusing federal and local prosecutors, without providing any proof, of "election interference."

"Every one of these many fake charges filed against me by the corrupt Biden DOJ could have been filed two-and-a-half years ago," Trump said. "But they waited and waited until I became a dominant force in the polls."

[...]

Ahead of his appearance, the Trump campaign released a new ad dubbed the "Fraud Squad" which negatively depicts Smith, Willis and Manhattan District Attorney Alvin Bragg. The ad is expected to run nationally, including in Washington, Atlanta and New York, according to a Trump aide.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dinny