DC - Savvas Savopoulos, family & Veralicia Figueroa murdered; Daron Wint Arrested #11

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
I think that he had the expired registration because SS did not keep the new registration in the car. It was for the times that he might of driven SS somewhere in the vehicle then went to do errands. SS gave him the expired one to show some link to the car in case he was ever pulled over.

I'm pretty sure you are legally required to keep the current registration in the car.

I'm pretty sure you are legally required to keep the current registration in the car.

I'm confused. Do we know there was not a current registration in the Mosler?
:gaah:

Yeah, you probably are but it may vary state by state.

Last time I got pulled over for a headlight out the cop who was about 1/2 my age and probably realized immediately that I was no threat to pretty much anybody asked for my insurance card which I finally found after excavating my glove compartment for awhile.

He didn't ask for my registration which I probably couldn't have found anyway.

That's a Florida plate. The Vanity plates in MD, DC and VA do not look like that. IMO IMO

It wouldn't have to be a vanity plate from any of those states. Aren't there decorative plates used for car shows, etc? Here are a bunch of Florida plates. It could be one of these. Wonder if we can find another photo of the plate.
florida license plate designs25 - Google Search copy.jpg

True, but it is not a hefty fine if you are stopped without it. The problem comes in when they run your tag and your drivers liscense doesn't match up with the registered owner of the car.

No. We don't know that. In fact, I would presume it is current, as it just passed it's emissions test in January.

Last time I got pulled over for a headlight out the cop who was about 1/2 my age and probably realized immediately that I was no threat to pretty much anybody asked for my insurance card which I finally found after excavating my glove compartment for awhile.

In DC, we are required to keep it in our car, as well as proof of insurance. I don't know if it matters where your car is registered. I can see not leaving it in your car while it's parked, un-driven in the garage. I can't see why you would have your assistant carry it around in his backpack.

Were you driving a Mosler? :)

True, but it is not a hefty fine if you are stopped without it. The problem comes in when they run your tag and your drivers liscense doesn't match up with the registered owner of the car.

Or that the registration has been expired for 18 months. I am pretty sure you can't register your car without proof of insurance. Is that a US rule or a State rule??

And who thinks that SS would allow anyone - including himself - to drive that car without it being insured? Are we supposed to think that SS allowed a race car driver to take it out for a "test drive" without insurance on the thing?

I just...I mean...really??

Well, actually I don't think your driver's license has to match up because you may be driving someone else's car.

If they ask for your registration and it doesn't match up with the plates then there is a problem.

Which, as an aside, brings me to the issue of why they even ask for paper copies of insurance, registration, etc?

All of this is on computer and they have total access to that information.

??

SS may have kept the old registrations and just added the latest one to the top in the folder in the glove box. If he did that, he wouldn't notice the older one is missing from the stack.

JMO

I just have to say this regarding SS letting JW drive his very special cars: SS seemed to be -by all accounts I've read- a very kind and generous person.

I think he absolutely and without hesitation enjoyed sharing the adventure and experience with the enthusiastic JW by letting him drive them on occasion. What a thrill for JW and how fun it would have been for SS to know how much joy he gave JW.

My opinion having never met any of the people involved,.

Or that the registration has been expired for 18 months. I am pretty sure you can't register your car without proof of insurance. Is that a US rule or a State rule??

And who thinks that SS would allow anyone - including himself - to drive that car without it being insured? Are we supposed to think that SS allowed a race car driver to take it out for a "test drive" without insurance on the thing?

I just...I mean...really??

A thousand times thank you. :)

I just have to say this regarding SS letting JW drive his very special cars: SS seemed to be -by all accounts I've read- a very kind and generous person.

I think he absolutely and without hesitation enjoyed sharing the adventure and experience with the enthusiastic JW by letting him drive them on occasion. What a thrill for JW and how fun it would have been for SS to know how much joy he gave JW.

My opinion having never met any of the people involved,.

It's one thing to be kind to the staff and quite another to allow them to drive an expensive collector's car. Piling on mileage would lower its value. I seriously doubt SS allowed JW to drive the Mosler beyond backing it out of the bay of wherever he kept it. He may have allowed him to sit in it but I just don't see it being driven by JW beyond the parking lot.

JMO

Well, actually I don't think your driver's license has to match up because you may be driving someone else's car.

If they ask for your registration and it doesn't match up with the plates then there is a problem.

Which, as an aside, brings me to the issue of why they even ask for paper copies of insurance, registration, etc?

All of this is on computer and they have total access to that information.

??
I think you misunderstood what I posted. I agree the registration needs to match the tag, your driver liscense wouldn't matter. The problem comes in if you don't have the registration, and your driver's liscense doesn't match from running the plate. My husband was stopped for speeding. He couldn't find his registration. Lucky him he got a citation for no registration, but no speeding ticket. But lets say a friend was driving my husband's car and the registration wasn't in the car. The friend would probably be suspected of driving a stolen vehicle, because he cannot show a link to the car.

NO... In previous thread, a member had access to DMV/or somewhere and found that the previous owner was from Florida and the registration was not up-to date. It was surmised that the last registration was the one in WJ's car? But... Since it did get a smog
check in January, maybe they were getting ready to register? Except WJ didn't work for SS in January? I don't see SS appreciating that his registration was in a backpack. IDK
We need more info... I'm baffled

NO... In previous thread, a member had access to DMV/or somewhere and found that the previous owner was from Florida and the registration was not up-to date. It was surmised that the last registration was the one in WJ's car? But... Since it did get a smog
check in January, maybe they were getting ready to register? Except WJ didn't work for SS in January? I don't see SS appreciating that his registration was in a backpack. IDK
We need more info... I'm baffled

I don't believe it is a big deal that old plates were possibly on the car if the registration was updated annually. If it wasn't being driven on public streets, expired plates wouldn't be a big issue.

JMO

Oh, Dexter, no one thinks you're a bad guy for your opinion! You're obviously very kind hearted and compassionate. And I do agree that out of kindness and compassion, it would be a lovely gesture for the estate to contribute to any expenses. I disagree, though, that they have a legal obligation to do so. Even with workplace violence, to be legally liable, the employer has to be negligent in some fashion, or fail to take reasonable precautions. Yes, the alarm was apparently off, but it was daylight in a neighborhood considered safe, and since the door had to be kicked in we can make the assumption that it was locked.

I'd love for you to convince me otherwise... so I know whether I need to worry about our lawn guys dropping dead! Lol

Sent from my KFJWI using Tapatalk

It will be lawyers that will handle all this and advise both parties. Executors of estates do not just hand money out which can then be construed as "hush money," and certainly as an admission of guilt. If they do start handing out money in cases that really need full legal accounting, they would be unfit for their job, which is to protect the estate for the inheritors, to avoid waste, to be sure everything is text-book copacetic, and not to make inheritors vulnerable in future). In this case, for example, whoever, or whatever group, is in charge of transactions and accounting on behalf of the estate, can not be sure of what entities they would now be dealing with in another country, of the emotions that could be driving a suit, whether personal need for support or yes, even greed on the part of some cousins, or folks who feel entitled to "profit" from VF's death will not get in the mix. So they can give the 100k as a lovely gesture, but it is not theirs to give, probate may take years, sums might be doled out for specific needs...blah blah. Any executors or bank in charge of a trust or trustees who would just write a check against an estate calling it "to be kind" would be negligent. Let's say this is done and then someone in VF's family does file a suit, possibly using some of that money, or blows that money on opening up a mail order business they utterly mismanage so they sue. Now to avoid trial, a settlement is made--those managing the trust/estate have handed it out in an unorthodox manner, creating a "kindness/gifts fund," opening up the inheritors to more claims, setting a precedent, and where might it end? I would imagine they expect there will be a suit, some back and forth over time, meanwhile perhaps the estate tied up, but they will by no means want to put it at risk and encourage more claimants whose cause may or may not be just. Insurance will come in and be tapped first. But opening the door to multiple claims? You know that often the main inheritors are the children. They usually do not have control of the money immediately, not in some huge lump sum, have to ask executors through petition and careful documenting of needed expenses to draw on money beyond their annual or monthly or quarterly amount allotted. Here there is also a company that might have liability and that the estate has investment in or will one day provide capital for. It is complicated and involves several parties, perhaps different forms of liabilities. I doubt very much the inheritors can just draw large amounts of money to show compassion to another victim of this crime when the estate must settle debt, face perhaps suits from other parties (emotional suffering, treatment for PTSD, being put at risk whatever) or that it would be legal for the estate to sell a car and pay off someone in VF's family with the proceeds. As to anonymous contributions to NG's fund, tricky to and ******** is tricky in general. So this is a complex situation despite everyone's best intentions. I do imagine a settlement will be reached, but all expenditures have to be accounted for and assets protected, whether a company's or an estate. I doubt AIW could say we will pay all funeral costs, as Mrs. Figeroa was not in their employ. The estate should be managed in regards to any paying of official claims by competent legal counsel and those claims should be documented and a sum not picked out of the air and sent by wire or ploughed into an informal fund-raiser.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member