DC - Savvas Savopoulos, family & Veralicia Figueroa murdered; Daron Wint Arrested #16

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
Thank you. I missed that the US Attorney is the lead. That in itself should be a good thing with no missed trails.

I agree. It is also the US Attorney who told the Court that Wint AND OTHERS held the four captive after the money was delivered. It doesn't say only Wint killed them. This is a fact used to seal search warrants and to hold Wint without bail. There is no way the US Attorney is going to present facts without evidence to support the claim. We just haven't seen the evidence.

JMO

In the affidavit, prosecutors said they believe "all four decedents were held captive by Mr. Wint and others until the $40,000 was delivered to the Savopoulos's residence by [the witness]. After the money was delivered the four decedents were killed," the report states.

http://abcnews.go.com/US/dc-mansion-murders-required-killer-affidavit/story?id=31241673

I am curious about the "ticking clock" that some people have mentioned. It sounds like one reason there may not be more arrests is that, if LE arrests people based on this case, as opposed to warrants for other things, the clock starts ticking to a speedy trial, so, to your point, they want to make sure they take enough time to gather as much evidence as possible to create an airtight case for trial before making an arrest.

I don't really have a reference point to know how unusual it is to make additional arrests in a case after 7 weeks post-crime date. I know some others firmly believe it's an open and closed case due to no more arrests at this point. They must have a reference point. I am curious if it is truly that black and white or if something else (ticking clock) could be at play.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I also think a grand jury would need more on them as well just to get the party started.

Thanks for keeping us grounded Ocean Blue Eyes! I learned a lot by reading your posts on the Dermond's thread. A calm and cool head will always prevail! I'm going with you and Occam's Razor - Wint acted alone.

Occam's Razor supports the prosecutor's statement in the charging documents that Wint acted with others in holding the victims hostage until the money arrived. I've seen nothing in Wint's background that leads me to conclude he had the capability or the intelligence to single-handily plan the kidnapping and extortion of $40,000.

JMO

I also think a grand jury would need more on them as well just to get the party started.

I think they are using the grand jury route for others in order to avoid a preliminary hearing. They didn't have the time to do that with Wint because he was in the wind.

JMO

Occam's Razor supports the prosecutor's statement in the charging documents that Wint acted with others in holding the victims hostage until the money arrived. I've seen nothing in Wint's background that leads me to conclude he had the capability or the intelligence to single-handily plan the kidnapping and extortion of $40,000.

JMO

I think others came once he realized that this wasn't in and out. Maybe before mr s got home or later on.

I think others came once he realized that this wasn't in and out. Maybe before mr s got home or later on.

I do, too. There is just no way Wint was the mastermind of the kidnapping and extortion plot.

JMO

JMO

IMO it doesn't take a rocket scientist to kick in a door, subdue women and a ten year old then demand money from the rich husband

I think they are using the grand jury route for others in order to avoid a preliminary hearing. They didn't have the time to do that with Wint because he was in the wind.

JMO

If Grand Jury started beginning of June when should it be finished? How long do they normally take?

The Complaint against Wint states that he killed Savvas Savapoulos by striking and stabbing him with an unknown object. This document was prepared on 19 May, five days after the crime. This was sufficient time for a blood match on the bat which we know they recovered. It is not clear that they recovered the unknown object with which SS was stabbed. It seems that AUSA has enough evidence to convict DW for this crime. IMO AUSA is using fed, state and DC resources to link DW to his accomplices and to connect the whole crew to other crimes that can be prosecuted under federal statues. I also think the rest of the crew is on 24-hour watch.

I do, too. There is just no way Wint was the mastermind of the kidnapping and extortion plot.

JMO

Him leaving dna on pizza while setting fire to the house tells me that he wasn't alone. He just didn't share pizza with his coherts. Lol.

But seriously. If this house is near joe bidens main home; Than the d.a will be pressured to get it right .

Dot your i's and cross your t's. Now dw is a soldier while facing life even if he snitches. So he will not talk. Jmo.

The prosecution is on their own for the moment. Jmo

If Grand Jury started beginning of June when should it be finished? How long do they normally take?

I think that is impossible to predict. For all I know, they may already have sealed indictments and were waiting to get past Wint's preliminary hearing before making the arrests in order to minimize the amount of information the public would learn.

JMO

Him leaving dna on pizza while setting fire to the house tells me that he wasn't alone. He just didn't share pizza with his coherts. Lol.

But seriously. If this house is near joe bidens main home; Than the d.a will be pressured to get it right .

Dot your i's and cross your t's. Now dw is a soldier while facing life even if he snitches. So he will not talk. Jmo.

The prosecution is on their own for the moment. Jmo

I agree the DA is under pressure and intends to get it right. What I found interesting is that Hanover appeared to know the identity of the others involved. I think those names will be worth a deal to Wint whether the deal involves taking the D.P off the table or offering the possibility of parole after 40 years. What I don't know is whether the prosecutor has managed to find those names without Wint's help. But I do agree, Wint is going nowhere.

JMO

I agree the DA is under pressure and intends to get it right. What I found interesting is that Hanover appeared to know the identity of the others involved. I think those names will be worth a deal to Wint whether the deal involves taking the D.P off the table or offering the possibility of parole after 40 years. What I don't know is whether the prosecutor has managed to find those names without Wint's help. But I do agree, Wint is going nowhere.

JMO
Maybe they should explain to him the difference between supermax 24 hr lock down for your first 20 years there and a regular fed prison.

He will do life. But there is different ways that his life sentence can be served. Maybe they should remind him this. Jmo.

JMO

DC does not have the death penalty.

Sent from my KFJWI using Tapatalk

DC does not have the death penalty.

But the feds do. And with dc they have the power to turn this into a fed case if they want to. Dc is not your average city. They have their own rules regarding fed matters. Especially when prominent politicians and constituents live in the neighborhood. Jmo.

But the feds do. And with dc they have the power to turn this into a fed case if they want to. Dc is not your average city. They have their own rules regarding fed matters. Especially when prominent politicians and constituents live in the neighborhood. Jmo.

How often does a DC murder case actually get moved to federal court? I've done some googling but haven't been able to find any examples. While it is certainly possible for the case to be moved, I'm not sure it's probable. After all, DC was murder capital for many years, it's been a very violent city. Virtually all murders in DC are tried as district crimes, why would this one merit moving to federal?

From MSM:
"...four decedents were killed ..."
Post below states: "It [US Attorney] does not say only Wint killed him." <-- Post's sentence is accurate, but above red-ded phrase (in passive voice, terminology?) does not refer to anyone's action in killing Mr S. Here, as in many other instances, MSM is ambiguous, vague or misleading.

From ct-filed complaint of May 22:
"Darron Dellon Dennis Wint, ...while armed with a unknown object, ...killed Savvas Savopoulos by striking and stabbing him ...causing injuries from which Savvas Savopoulos died..." Refers only to DDW actions in killing Mr S; does not refer to any others' actions in killing Mr S.

^ This discrepancy is why, after charging documents, complaints, search warrants etc, are available to copy & paste, then quoting ct-filed docs rather than repeating or relying on reporter's interp of what docs say seems a better practice. JMO. Why quote MSM - to summarize or interp (or misinterp?) when ct-filed docs themselves are available?
Exceptions? Yes, for ex, when ct-filed affidavit quotes Witness A describing arrested person B shooting decedent, in which case, if Witness C later recounts to MSM how C saw unarrested person D shoot the decedent. IOW, a diff source re same info and/or MSM info dated after ct-filed doc.
JM2cts, could be all wrong.

... It is also the US Attorney who told the Court that Wint AND OTHERS held the four captive after the money was delivered. It doesn't say only Wint killed them.... There is no way the US Attorney is going to present facts without evidence to support the claim....JMO
In the affidavit, prosecutors said they believe "all four decedents were held captive by Mr. Wint and others until the $40,000 was delivered to the Savopoulos's residence by [the witness]. After the money was delivered thefour decedents were killed," the report states.
http://abcnews.go.com/US/dc-mansion-murders-required-killer-affidavit/story?id=31241673
bbm sbm

How often does a DC murder case actually get moved to federal court? I've done some googling but haven't been able to find any examples. While it is certainly possible for the case to be moved, I'm not sure it's probable. After all, DC was murder capital for many years, it's been a very violent city. Virtually all murders in DC are tried as district crimes, why would this one merit moving to federal?

The high profile mass murdereds get federal charges. The beltway snipers and Starbucks killers were the big ones of the last decade or so.

From MSM:
"...four decedents were killed ..."
Post below states: "It [US Attorney] does not say only Wint killed him." <-- Post's sentence is accurate, but above red-ded phrase (in passive voice, terminology?) does not refer to anyone's action in killing Mr S. Here, as in many other instances, MSM is ambiguous, vague or misleading.

From ct-filed complaint of May 22:
"Darron Dellon Dennis Wint, ...while armed with a unknown object, ...killed Savvas Savopoulos by striking and stabbing him ...causing injuries from which Savvas Savopoulos died..." Refers only to DDW actions in killing Mr S; does not refer to any others' actions in killing Mr S.

^ This discrepancy is why, after charging documents, complaints, search warrants etc, are available to copy & paste, then quoting ct-filed docs rather than repeating or relying on reporter's interp of what docs say seems a better practice. JMO. Why quote MSM - to summarize or interp (or misinterp?) when ct-filed docs themselves are available?
Exceptions? Yes, for ex, when ct-filed affidavit quotes Witness A describing arrested person B shooting decedent, in which case, if Witness C later recounts to MSM how C saw unarrested person D shoot the decedent. IOW, a diff source re same info and/or MSM info dated after ct-filed doc.
JM2cts, could be all wrong.

bbm sbm

The Complaint was filed 19 May. Attached to it was the Supporting Document. Page 8 of the Affidavit in Support of an Arrest Warrant states "your affiant believes that the crimes described in this arrest warrant required the presence and assistance of more than one person.&#8221;

The high profile mass murdereds get federal charges. The beltway snipers and Starbucks killers were the big ones of the last decade or so.

Thank you!

It looks like the snipers were only charged in state courts, per wiki. https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Beltway_sniper_attacks#Criminal_prosecutions. Which of course is always right. Lol. ;-)

The Starbucks case I'm still googling, but it looks like it was tried federally under RICO, as Cooper ran an organized robbery gang... or at least that's how they justified moving it. Off to google more...

Thanks again!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members