DC - Savvas Savopoulos, family & Veralicia Figueroa murdered; Daron Wint Arrested #16

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
Agreeing w ^ - possible that JW & Mr S both looked at driver job as temp.bridge.

Jumping off this post to another point. Seems like early rpts gave (me anyway) impression JW's Autobahn position was high level. If in fact he was an hourly/wage employee, not a salaried employee, seems like his pay scale was not a lofty one. Anyone recall source of the not-enough-hours claim?
How many FT or FTE employees work at Autobahn?

Thinking of comments about how JW's job change from Autobahn to Mr S's driver was a big come-down, while others said it was a step up. IDK. So any unknowns about terms of employment w Mr S, hard to say.
JM2cts, could be all wrong.

I don't recall the source of the claim but a media relations position is usually held by a college graduate in either marking communications or journalism and JW was neither. Doesn't sound like it worked out if he was let go after only a year, which probably has to do with the fact he wasn't qualified for the position in the first place.

JMO

BBM

I think you are taking the Prosecutor's statement out of context. Iirc, the word used was 'believe' which changes the entire meaning or some other subjective word usage. I am sure at the time they were working under the assumption he did have help. They have had time to rule that in or out by now.

I haven't seen any documents where the Prosecutor makes any affirmative statement confirming Wint absolutely had help. The word usage of 'believe' is nothing more than "I think" (theory-at the time) and isn't factually based.

And what high intelligence would he need to do this crime? I see nothing that shows me he had to be a brilliant individual to pull this off all by himself. Although I don't think he is dumb either.

It doesn't take much brain power to force entry into a home and grab one of the startled/frightened females who were in the home with a 10 year old boy. They would all comply trying to save each other. Tragically, it has happened before several times with only one lone perpetrator involved.

When Savvas arrived home he would do nothing to provoke the man who held his family, and housekeeper hostage. That is why pizza was ordered at 9:30pm when they were trying to keep him calm giving him anything he wanted.

What intelligence would be needed for Wint to direct a very intelligent man, who certainly knew about financial matters.. to do all of his dirty work for him seeing to it the 40K was delivered as DW demanded?

Once he murdered them all, he took his blood money, he set the fire, and walked out. I don't see a very complex plan that would even require a highly intelligent mastermind. DW knew Savvas was wealthy already before going in to his home.

There is absolutely no reason why LE wouldn't announce they have made further arrests if they have done so. They weren't shy about telling everyone in short order they had arrested Wint. They would do the same if there were other arrests. Imo, they haven't arrested anyone other than Wint in connection to this specific crime. I have no doubt the media continues to call LE everyday looking for any updates if they exist. They would want the area citizens to know they are continuing to arrests others involved in this case.

The thing about prior SWs and continued ongoing investigations they are constantly evolving and what LE may have suspected or believed or thought at first is not where the investigation has taken them now. I think they have thoroughly investigated this case for almost 8 weeks, and found no involvement of others other than Wint.

I still say, while I think JW is an arrogant lying braggart blowhard, and was a terrible employee.... he will not be involved in the murder of this family.

IMO

If that is the case, and it is very possible, why wouldn't LE hold a press conference where they state exactly that - to put the public's mind at rest? I know they don't have to do that, just as they don't have to "clear" previous suspects, but if their investigation is basically done, why the radio silence?

RSBM

Basing on the assumption all is true that JW was not involved with the crime, the reason why I added protective custody is because JW would be a witness for the prosecution. The horrific actions committed in this crime would scare the daylights out of a person, and LE could fear JW may become nervous/dicey over testifying. Mr SS had several phone conversations during the hostage period and those conversation are surely being dissected. We have limited knowledge at this time, however as an example Mr SS could have used the word "we" instead of "I" in conversations, or something of that affect to pass on a clue. We just don't know at this time.

DW may very well be in jail, but how many partners in crime does DW know that are not in jail? Eliminating a witness that could testify he delivery 40k to the SS home would not be positive for the prosecution.

Thank you for your thoughts. We keep each other on our toes.

The defense is going to have a field day when they get JW on the stand, if he's a prosecution witness.

Oh my. I'm glad I am no longer in the US.

When I initially hired my wonderful housekeeper, I looked into what the record keeping requirements were and was absolutely in compliance for a casual housekeeper working very little. But I was quite young, single, and only needed someone to come in to dust and sweep while I travelled for work so that I didn't face a dusty home when I returned. Over time, I added a transportation stipend, and then if there were extra "if you have time" tasks, I'd tip her the next week if she'd found time. Her work may have evolved over the years in ways I possibly should give more consideration.

I find it much easier to keep track of these things here in Lilliputia where household workers are far more commonplace so there's a support infrastructure for their employ, and because now I look after Mr. Abroad's tidiness as well, and that's almost a full time job.

I feel strongly about tips being tips and I don't think they should be taxed. I think they're like gifts and I'll continue to say thank you with cash. Shhh...don't tell the IRS. :D

Yes, in the U.S. the IRS wants its cut of everything, coming and going and in between with sales tax in most states. :(

The up side of this is that employees are better protected by being on the books. "Off the Books" doesn't mean being paid in cash, it means off the books as in the person being paid doesn't exist because there are no records of a person's existence or payment. The link below shows the much larger impact of someone being paid "off the books" and I just don't believe Savvos Savoupolos would do that to another human being, let alone risking himself or business. There are many excellent reasons for not going for the convenience and immediate gratification of cash under the table; in the long run it can hurt you.

I was wrong when I stated $1900/yr, it can be much higher, but it's broken down into quarters. It's possible JW qualified for 1099.

http://www.avvo.com/legal-guides/ugc/working-off-the-books---a-guide-of-what-to-avoid

What information would DW's friends want JW to keep quiet, if JW isn't involved? I don't see how JW is in danger from anyone if he wasn't involved.

I don't believe LE ruined JW's reputation by reporting he had lied (more than once) in interviews. That's like saying it's Jill's fault that Bob got fired, because she reported him to HR for sexual harassment. Bob's actions got Bob fired. JMO

Sloppy writing on my part. I was trying to imagine what questions I would be asking if the situation were that JW were as innocent as possible--taking cues from what I've read.

For instance, that the fact that he admitted he lied was just LE's impression and that sometimes people, being funny, will say, "wait, I lied" when they actually just mean they had simply misspoke. Or, that JW just got flustered and forgot the facts, or at the very worst, was just being a bonehead. If that were the case, which some people do believe, LE would have painted him as a liar unnecessarily, or untruthfully. (Mind you, I don't think this. I was just trying to wrap my head around what people are thinking.)

I don't understand why he would be in custody or protective custody unless he had info about the crime, which would make him a target to the Co of DW and Co (and would also make LE want to hold him). But I could possibly be convinced that it's because Co might want to shut up W1.

That is an excellent thought! If JW was only working Tuesdays and Fridays (when the car photos were taken) or part-time, whatever his schedule, SS could have thought JW was still working at Autobahn and working for him for extra money...

Imo, SS would absolutely know that JW didn't work there anymore. Phillip was a big fan of the autobahn and was involved in kart racing. SS and PS would know if JW was not there.

I don't recall the source of the claim but a media relations position is usually held by a college graduate in either marking communications or journalism and JW was neither. Doesn't sound like it worked out if he was let go after only a year, which probably has to do with the fact he wasn't qualified for the position in the first place.

JMO

JW's racing buddy, "Weedy" was the one reported by Nate Thayer as saying he understood that JW wasn't getting enough hours. I recall thinking it was interesting that a guy was nicknamed Weedy. I guess they don't drug test race car drivers?

No need to be condescending. JW was employed in Maryland, a state that does provide unemployment to employees fired for no reason at all and so far, we have not been given a reason for JW's termination.

In Maryland, employees work "at the will" of their employers. This means, in the absence of an express contract, agreement or policy to the contrary, an employee may be hired or fired for almost any reason -- whether fair or not -- or for no reason at all.

http://www.dllr.state.md.us/labor/wagepay/wpatwill.shtml

Does that mean that anyone who is fired can collect unemployment in MD? BTW, I didn't think s/he was being condescending. I thought s/he was trying to be funny. JMO

I feel strongly about tips being tips and I don't think they should be taxed. I think they're like gifts and I'll continue to say thank you with cash. Shhh...don't tell the IRS. :D

Yes, in the U.S. the IRS wants its cut of everything, coming and going and in between with sales tax in most states. :(

The up side of this is that employees are better protected by being on the books. "Off the Books" doesn't mean being paid in cash, it means off the books as in the person being paid doesn't exist because there are no records of a person's existence or payment. The link below shows the much larger impact of someone being paid "off the books" and I just don't believe Savvos Savoupolos would do that to another human being, let alone risking himself or business. There are many excellent reasons for not going for the convenience and immediate gratification of cash under the table; in the long run it can hurt you.
I was wrong when I stated $1900/yr, it can be much higher, but it's broken down into quarters. It's possible JW qualified for 1099.

http://www.avvo.com/legal-guides/ugc/working-off-the-books---a-guide-of-what-to-avoid

Yes it can hurt the employee but not the employer unless he's reported for it. This would be a minor financial crime compared to the kidnapping, extortion and murder so if you have a link to show JW and other AIW employees working on the dojo doing this, I'd like to see it. Even if they were, I doubt the USA is focused on it because SS is a murder victim.

JMO

If that is the case, and it is very possible, why wouldn't LE hold a press conference where they state exactly that - to put the public's mind at rest? I know they don't have to do that, just as they don't have to "clear" previous suspects, but if their investigation is basically done, why the radio silence?

My own take is that there was already a big dog and pony for the DW arrest. I don't even know if there's still a task force stood up for the investigation. If there is, I'm sure its primary purpose is to chase down all of the leads generated prior to that big arrest. I'm not in DC, but from the media links I see through this website, the press and wider public are not chomping at the bit like we here. They watched the Chief standup and everyone exhaled and everyone is back to business as usual. Washingtonians are resilient. We went back to work on THAT Sept 12.

Does that mean that anyone who is fired can collect unemployment in MD? BTW, I didn't think s/he was being condescending. I thought s/he was trying to be funny. JMO

I saw no humor in it. One has to apply for unemployment as they have to do in every state.

JMO

Sloppy writing on my part. I was trying to imagine what questions I would be asking if the situation were that JW were as innocent as possible--taking cues from what I've read.

For instance, that the fact that he admitted he lied was just LE's impression and that sometimes people, being funny, will say, "wait, I lied" when they actually just mean they had simply misspoke. Or, that JW just got flustered and forgot the facts, or at the very worst, was just being a bonehead. If that were the case, which some people do believe, LE would have painted him as a liar unnecessarily, or untruthfully. (Mind you, I don't think this. I was just trying to wrap my head around what people are thinking.)

I don't understand why he would be in custody or protective custody unless he had info about the crime, which would make him a target to the Co of DW and Co (and would also make LE want to hold him). But I could possibly be convinced that it's because Co might want to shut up W1.

You're right! I hadn't thought of that until you said it, but I've even said that when I misspoke.
I love the way the British say it: "No, I tell a lie." and go on to explain.

I think it even said "connections" plural. That made me pause.
I'm hoping it was only the address issue and the fact that DW got fired by SS, and JW got hired by him.

About protective custody, I think that only applies to people who are already in custody as in jail or prison.

What's it called when a potential witness is being protected? Is it the same Witness Protection Program when people change their names and move, but a modified version of protection like 24 hr watch, or a safe hotel room; not the moving and name change part. Do I watch too much tv? Yes.

There is something where witnesses are protected before during and after a trial, but it's not custodial because they aren't arrested.

OTOH, we don't know where JW is.

JW's racing buddy, "Weedy" was the one reported by Nate Thayer as saying he understood that JW wasn't getting enough hours. I recall thinking it was interesting that a guy was nicknamed Weedy. I guess they don't drug test race car drivers?

Apparently not. And it doesn't sound like they test them for common sense (if there is even such a test.) What a fool.

JMO

But until/unless he's charged with a crime, LE can't take punitive actions against him, including restricting his travel. JMO

Anybody can be placed on the no fly list. I posted the link.

Yes it can hurt the employee but not the employer unless he's reported for it. This would be a minor financial crime compared to the kidnapping, extortion and murder so if you have a link to show JW and other AIW employees working on the dojo doing this, I'd like to see it. Even if they were, I doubt the USA is focused on it because SS is a murder victim.

JMO

The price of apples in China, of course.

What information would DW's friends want JW to keep quiet, if JW isn't involved? I don't see how JW is in danger from anyone if he wasn't involved.

I don't believe LE ruined JW's reputation by reporting he had lied (more than once) in interviews. That's like saying it's Jill's fault that Bob got fired, because she reported him to HR for sexual harassment. Bob's actions got Bob fired. JMO

BBM

There could be a few things. We don't know everything that JW told LE about what he saw that day. Or what he heard when he talked on the phone. Maybe he saw or overheard something that could help the state's case against Wint.

Also, he was the witness to that ransom money going to the crime scene. That money ended up with Wint when he was arrested. The state needs JW to testify about dropping it off. I think they want JW to lay low until he needs to do that.

Maybe he is under arrest. I don't know. But I would be surprised.

The fact that JW admitted he lied is no doubt recorded as part of his interrogation. He painted himself a liar and LE is not going to cut him any slack or use him as a witness because he has no credibility. He's done. He can stick a fork in it.

JMO

Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members