DC - Savvas Savopoulos, family & Veralicia Figueroa murdered; Daron Wint Arrested #18

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
I agree...nothing about this crime was safe or convenient. I also am back to wondering why this particular family. They weren't the richest. They weren't the ones with the most lax security in all of DC. The Wint connection to AIW was in the past and no doubt there were other people that angered DW in the intervening years. Is SS the only wealthy person in the world that DW disliked or had a negative interaction with in the last ten years? Maybe. But I think there was a catalyzing event that made him pick this family, this year, for this crime.

Well said! I agree!!

I am leaning more towards 'monster' because of some of his past history. He reportedly threatened to kill his entire family, including his 8 yr old lil sister. WHO does that? His father must have taken it seriously enough that he got a Restraining Order.

And he threatened to stab an infant to death, when he was angry with his girlfriend. Only a sadist would even imagine stabbing an infant, while bragging that he was good with knives.

I don't think he has zero feelings for others. I know people like that and it wouldn't occur to them to verbally threaten a tiny baby, just to watch one's ex erupt with fear. I think he LOVES the feelings he gets when he can scare someone, threaten them, and then stab them repeatedly.

From what I know about sociopaths, DW could be both a sadist and a sociopath. It's a Venn Diagram situation. All sadists aren't sociopaths and all sociopaths aren't sadists, but you can be both.

I agree...nothing about this crime was safe or convenient. I also am back to wondering why this particular family. They weren't the richest. They weren't the ones with the most lax security in all of DC. The Wint connection to AIW was in the past and no doubt there were other people that angered DW in the intervening years. Is SS the only wealthy person in the world that DW disliked or had a negative interaction with in the last ten years? Maybe. But I think there was a catalyzing event that made him pick this family, this year, for this crime.

The opening of the dojo was a lifelong dream for SS. Just thinking that this could have been a catalyst which leads me back to construction workers w/ a possible tie to DW. Posted upthread but Amy's VM about the importance of this event and recruiting extra help and support during this incredibly busy time may have been seen by DW as an opportunity to strike when the family was "distracted." Just another angle of possibility.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Also wondering what type of martial art SS practiced. I have been here since the beginning but I cannot recall. If it involves swords and DW "was good w/knives" who knows what this deranged man was thinking. Ironically though SS was chocked. Maybe I am OT.... Willing to admit.

I'm right there with you, on this. I keep thinking that something has happened, in more recent times, that we are totally unaware of. DW obviously holds onto grudges, and revenge appears to be a pattern for him. I can't recall exactly what was said on the 20/20 program, in regard to the attack on the man in NY; however, I do remember him saying that DW came back at a later time, and stabbed him in the neck. When you stab a person in the neck, you expect them to die. He wanted revenge, and he wanted to kill him, IMO. I think he felt the same, with SS.

Also wondering what type of martial art SS practiced. I have been here since the beginning but I cannot recall. If it involves swords and DW "was good w/knives" who knows what this deranged man was thinking. Ironically though SS was chocked. Maybe I am OT.... Willing to admit.

I don't think martial arts is off topic since reportedly LE believes one of his swords was involved in the murders. He practiced an ancient Japanese sword martial art. The name of it escapes me but it is in his obit.

It was posted many threads ago. I can't remember exactly what it was called, but if you google SS martial arts you can find one or two tributes to him from members of that particular style of martial arts.

IMO
The catalyst was the dojo grand opening scheduled for May 15, the day after the murders.
As reported by MSM, DW was a welder at SS's AIW during 2003-2005.
DW knew other welders, and also knew wanna-be welders attending the welding school which is next door to the dojo.
Welder friends talk about the $$ obviously going into the fancy dojo build-out.
DW has prior hostility toward SS and AIW.
DW stakes out the dojo and the SS home to come up with a plan.

Again, that is interesting to me because the SW for cell records wasn't executed until the 28th and the article was written on 5/20. Because we don't know if 11:54 was missed, VM, text, or dropped call. Because some posters say a cell phone won't pick up a signal at Lowes. There has been no SW Return unsealed AFAIK. Just makes me wonder what police documents the WP writers are referencing. Maybe JW signed off on LE getting the records and the SW was a formality for the future trial of DW. Or there is some other document that mentioned the police finding the 11:54 while scrolling thru the phone. It is frustrating about this last call because there is more detail on other calls/VM/texts. Just have to wonder if the reporting is lacking or the WP reporters really don't have this info.

If LE didn't yet have records and were just scrolling through the phone and saw the 11:54 call, they probably also checked to see if there were a voicemail. The problem would be that JW could have deleted the voicemail. So, maybe that's why, at that time, the only info they would give to WaPo is that there was a call.

It was posted many threads ago. I can't remember exactly what it was called, but if you google SS martial arts you can find one or two tributes to him from members of that particular style of martial arts.

IIRC
kenjutsu

If LE didn't yet have records and were just scrolling through the phone and saw the 11:54 call, they probably also checked to see if there were a voicemail. The problem would be that JW could have deleted the voicemail. So, maybe that's why, at that time, the only info they would give to WaPo is that there was a call.

Even if you delete vmail said they aren't totally deleted on iPhone

Formal warrant for JW cell phone was signed on the 18th and executed on the 28th. LE requested of him on the 14th to scroll thru his phone and he gave permission for that.
The May 18 SW was for cell detailed records and cell site locations from his carrier "AT&T OR ANY OTHER SERVICE PROVIDER..."

The new dojo was the Tenshin-ryu / Yamate-ryu Honbu Dojo. The former being a sword form of martial arts, the latter being an unarmed form.

This horrific crime took place just six weeks after JW began working for SS. According to LE there is a known connection between DW and JW. LE has had JW on their radar at least since May 18 when they requested a detailed search of his phone records. JW LIED to LE about when he was requested to deliver "a package", how he took receipt of the $40,000, and how he delivered the cash at the SS home. JW would have had some knowledge of the wealth of the family, the layout of the house, security features, daily routines of the inhabitants,etc. DW had none of this knowledge.

IMO this is not a coincidence; this was a planned crime designed to extort mone and rob. Plenty of motive, opportunity, and means when you consider this scenario. Nothing much else makes sense.

This horrific crime took place just six weeks after JW began working for SS. According to LE there is a known connection between DW and JW. LE has had JW on their radar at least since May 18 when they requested a detailed search of his phone records. JW LIED to LE about when he was requested to deliver "a package", how he took receipt of the $40,000, and how he delivered the cash at the SS home. JW would have had some knowledge of the wealth of the family, the layout of the house, security features, daily routines of the inhabitants,etc. DW had none of this knowledge.

IMO this is not a coincidence; this was a planned crime designed to extort mone and rob. Plenty of motive, opportunity, and means when you consider this scenario. Nothing much else makes sense.

So do you think JW is under arrest somewhere?

So what usually happens at these hearings when the defendant doesn't announce a new attorney? What can we expect? This is the case that brought me to Websleuths so i don't know what typically happens and what details might be released.

So what usually happens at these hearings when the defendant doesn't announce a new attorney? What can we expect? This is the case that brought me to Websleuths so i don't know what typically happens and what details might be released.

I think he was appointed two public defenders at the last hearing. So I suppose they will represent him since he seems not to have hired anyone else

It's all over the place. Usually the preliminary hearing occurs to establish that there is probable cause to continue the case. That involves presentation of some of the evidence, physical and sometimes testimony. Sometimes the defendent will try to show there is reason to believe s/he isn't guilty. However, they don't always go that way. I predict that the public defenders will say that they have not had adequate time to prepare, and the judge will have to rule on whether to grant them more time. If denied they'll probably move to dismiss and the hearing will move forward (doubt the judge will dismiss). This process varies from court to court, and I am not an attorney, so I am not 100% positive that's the way it will go, but that's what I have usually seen.

I am leaning more towards 'monster' because of some of his past history. He reportedly threatened to kill his entire family, including his 8 yr old lil sister. WHO does that? His father must have taken it seriously enough that he got a Restraining Order.

And he threatened to stab an infant to death, when he was angry with his girlfriend. Only a sadist would even imagine stabbing an infant, while bragging that he was good with knives.

I don't think he has zero feelings for others. I know people like that and it wouldn't occur to them to verbally threaten a tiny baby, just to watch one's ex erupt with fear. I think he LOVES the feelings he gets when he can scare someone, threaten them, and then stab them repeatedly.

He even had knives on him when arrested.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
lyle.person1