DC - Savvas Savopoulos, family & Veralicia Figueroa murdered; Daron Wint Arrested #19

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
I think the original post was stating that if DW was involved in SS' murder, then he would be involved in all the murders, whether he's been charged with them yet or not. JMO.

This is the post I was replying to:

Originally Posted by SpanishInquisition
It does matter. Those people who were laundering the money may be accessories after the fact or some other crime, which is a different and lesser crime. The same also goes if you knowingly bought the stolen samurai swords, which wouldn't make you a felony murderer. It depends on what exactly the 'it' is that you're in on. As an example - not that I think this would be but just as a legal example - if JW was in on stealing the Porsche where his arrangement was that he'd leave the car door unlocked with the keys inside and told DW et al when to come and steal it but then DW et al decided to do a home invasion and murder instead with the information, being in on grand theft auto wouldn't be a felony that would qualify for felony murder in DC as theft isn't one of the crimes listed in the statute.

Specifically the bolded portion above.

My point is that it is INCORRECT, imo. If JW had an 'arrangement' to leave the Porsche unlocked for DW to steal it, then JW is going down for the murders as well. There would be no 'deal' made because GTA is not a felony. That is an erroneous assumption because it is nullified once JW agreed to take the cash to the crime scene.

If JW went there with cash, to drop off to SS, then he'd know people were home and his little burglary would now be considered ARMED ROBBERY. And he would be charged with murder too.

No GJ for DW. Hoping they come up with some other indictments so we can sleuth them!

scratchhead1.gif
Trying to sort this one out a bit. Three docket entries from the preliminary hearing. He has been charged with one count of felony murder with a weapon

07/21/2015 Proposed Findings of Facts & Conclusions of Law & Order of Detention Pending Trial Proposed Findings of Facts & Conclusions of Law & Order of Detention Pending Trial
Attorney: COHEN JR, Mr VINCENT H (471489)

07/20/2015 Event Resulted - Release Status: Event Resulted - Release Status: NO BOND
AUSA - Laura Bach, Emily Miller

COURT REPORTER: Loretta Kaczorowski

The following event: Preliminary Hearing scheduled for 07/20/2015 at 11:00 am has been resulted as follows:

Result: Probable Cause Found Held for Grand Jury
Judge: REID WINSTON, RHONDA Location: Courtroom 316
DARON D WINT (Defendant (Criminal)); ; ARTHUR AGO (Attorney) on behalf of DARON D WINT (Defendant (Criminal)); NATALIE LAWSON (Attorney) on behalf of DARON D WINT (Defendant (Criminal)); Judge RHONDA REID WINSTON

07/20/2015 Event Scheduled Event Scheduled
Event: Felony Status Conference
Date: 09/25/2015 Time: 9:45 am
Judge: REID WINSTON, RHONDA Location: Courtroom 316

Another one bites the dust. The white Range Rover Carfax is a little confusing. It looks like it was purchased as a corporate car (AIW or Sigma?) and has already been sold. Regardless, it didn't need to be re-registered during the time JW worked for SS, as it wasn't purchased before August 2014. No repairs on record during that time.

I think the other two cars are going to be impossible to find, unless someone can read the first 3 number/letters of the plates. Also, the brownish land rover looks like it might be from a different state. West Virginia? If anyone can read the other plates, I'll run them.

View attachment 78745

bentley.jpg

Thank you! So we know JW didn't do inspection for Mosler, Porsche or Range Rover during his month of employment. Can anyone find better images of Audi and Range Rover?

AS and SS went to University of Maryland and fell in love there--maybe that is the special interest plate? For the university?
download.jpegdownload.jpeg
I think it is the special 1812 plate (not sure if I attached image correctly)

Another one bites the dust. The white Range Rover Carfax is a little confusing. It looks like it was purchased as a corporate car (AIW or Sigma?) and has already been sold. Regardless, it didn't need to be re-registered during the time JW worked for SS, as it wasn't purchased before August 2014. No repairs on record during that time.

I think the other two cars are going to be impossible to find, unless someone can read the first 3 number/letters of the plates. Also, the brownish land rover looks like it might be from a different state. West Virginia? If anyone can read the other plates, I'll run them.

View attachment 78745
Carfax says “Dealer took Title of this vehicle while it was in inventory."
Odds are pretty good that the dealer was Rosenthal Land Rover in Vienna.

But that's not what he texted to her at all. He said it was part of his 'crazy job.' Nothing about it being HIS money. And if he had ever texted anything like that to her he would be in jail already.

Excellent point. He was showing off his JOB.

I need the letters or numbers that are stacked one on top of the other before the larger numbers. For the white rover, I've tried B, A-Z and 0-9, 7315 and 8, A-Z and 0-9, 7315. Nada.

OK, I looked through ALL of the specialty plates, paying special attention to the ones for American University. Neither S/A fraternity/sorority have special plates in Maryland. Plus, it looks, from the website, that the alpha-numeric characters are in black, whereas on these cars, the letters/numbers look blue.

I think what they have is the general plate:

http://www.mva.maryland.gov/vehicles/licenseplates/generallicenseplate.htm

Is it too good to be true to hope that they all have AA? The red Audi looks like AB to me, but if you've already tried AB, have you tried AA?

If he was going to steal $20,000 and deliver $40,000, it wouldn't make sense to show W2 a pic of $20,000 and tell her it is $40,000. None of this makes sense to me.

Who knows! Some people can't help but lie and exaggerate. Maybe he was planning to get another $20K? Maybe he hadn't had time to talk to DW to find out that there wasn't already $40K at the house for the dojo opening. Maybe he expected to get half of what was at the house and half of the new $40K SS requested of the accountant. I'm confused due to the times, and whether JW had $20K before the B of A bank transaction that Thursday morning.

Would the letters have to do with special interest? So maybe MD? Or UM??
I live in Maryland and they've started doing stacked letters (two of them) because the unique six alpha/numeric combinations had all been exhausted. Stacked letters does not necessarily mean special interest.

Thank you so much! @rkf - does this help?

The War of 1812 plates are the default plates that everyone gets...not a special one. They switched to those in 2012 as default in honor of bicentennial.

But that's not what he texted to her at all. He said it was part of his 'crazy job.' Nothing about it being HIS money. And if he had ever texted anything like that to her he would be in jail already.

I agree that his text seems to be about how crazy his job is (or how important he is, consorting with the types of people who order $40k), but if he had texted that the money was his, I am not sure that that would be probable cause for arrest, and even if it was, that LE would want to start the "speedy trial" clock before they really have to. I don't think we can infer anything about the content of the texts from the fact that he may not have been (but we don't know for sure) arrested.

OK, I looked through ALL of the specialty plates, paying special attention to the ones for American University. Neither S/A fraternity/sorority have special plates in Maryland. Plus, it looks, from the website, that the alpha-numeric characters are in black, whereas on these cars, the letters/numbers look blue.

I think what they have is the general plate:

http://www.mva.maryland.gov/vehicles/licenseplates/generallicenseplate.htm

Is it too good to be true to hope that they all have AA? The red Audi looks like AB to me, but if you've already tried AB, have you tried AA?

They could be any two letters A-Z.

Thank you so much! @rkf - does this help?

Fwiw, we live a few blocks across the DC border in MD, and our cars were tagged by the dealer. One of them has the same 1812 tag and I don't recall it being anything special. Maybe something commemorative but nothing special.

Yea, Georgia does things differently. In case of DW, during preliminary hearing judge found probable cause to bind DW over for trial. He isn't going in front of grand jury. He will go in front of a regular jury during his trial.

Hi all. This thread has been an interesting read. Though I have been hesitant to register for various reasons I thought some background on DC criminal procedure might be helpful.

Just as background, in D.C. every defendant charged with a felony has an initial hearing within 48 hours of their arrest called a Presentment before a judicial officer at which time the preliminary charge is read and an immediate temporary detention decision is made. He is then entitled to a preliminary hearing within so many days (actually 20 for felonies) but in most murder cases the atty asks for a later date so they can be as prepared as possible. Obviously defense investigation needs to start asap. The atty would also be filing discovery demand letters on the govt. & serving subpoenas even thought the govt doesn't turn over discovery until the def is arraigned (i.e., charged formally with the indictment). At the PH the defense gets what's called Jencks material - some of the forms and notes made by the PH witnesses (not everything that wit completed but that which comes under the Jencks Act - there are often battles over what should be labeled Jencks material - sometimes a reason for a bench conference).

That PH also acts as a detention hearing and determines whether the def will be held or released under release alternatives. In murder cases preventive detention is almost a given.

At his arrest (when he is first held) a clock starts ticking for the return of an indictment. The govt has 9 months to indict or the court has to reconsider release conditions. Every time the defense requests a continuance at this stage they must also waive that time period and the clock is suspended. It restarts when the case gets back on its procedural treadmill. So Wint waived all that time he used to change attorneys giving the govt more time to get their indictment.

The case also has to go before a grand jury for indictment. Had there been an indictment before the PH date then it would negate the right to a PH - a detention hearing would have still been held but in cases like this it's almost pro forma taking minutes, maybe seconds - upshot, the def is not getting released.

I've read discussions wondering why Wint hasn't been charged yet with all 4 murders. When someone is arrested the govt just charges with a bare bones complaint so he can be appropriately held and the case can start. You can't read anything into it. Wint has not been indicted yet and that is where you will see all the charges against him. I thought they might have indicted him by the time of the PH and then they would have just held an arraignment rather than a PH.

I wasn't present for this PH but when there is an affidavit that supports an arrest warrant then at a PH all the govt does is ask the Detective to adopt it and query if there is anything to add or correct. The judge then reads the affidavit and that becomes evidence and essentially the govt's silent testimony. As many posters have noted the govt does its best to not make this hearing about discovery. In fact, with the strong case against Wint outlined in the affidavit (DNA at crime scene AND during crime, possession ransom money) many judges would never have allowed any questioning about other persons since that wouldn't negate PC against Wint. Ago is lucky in his judge. She gave Ago a lot of leeway.

Case still needs GJ indictment despite having a PH: I suspect that this case has already been presented to at least one if not 2 or more grand juries. I seem to recall reports that witnesses were already appearing before a GJ back in May. Sorry no cite for that. I believe that for summer GJs are just sitting for a month each. Depending on their start and end dates, there might have already been 3 GJs (May, June and July) that have heard bits and pieces of this case. It can be a long process since each new GJ that takes evidence in a case has to have all the prior GJ testimony and evidence presented previously read to it. When a reading session is scheduled it gets bumped if that time is needed for a live witness in any other case so that can delay an indictment's return.

So patience is needed. Nothing Wint has done so far has delayed or stalled this case. A GJ has been working on it from early on and they have many months to get their indictment. The current procedural stage is that the case has been bound over to the GJ.

Hope this wasn't too long or too convoluted but it seems to waste people's energy and time when they are left guessing about what's next. And to be clear, this is for D.C.

If he was going to steal $20,000 and deliver $40,000, it wouldn't make sense to show W2 a pic of $20,000 and tell her it is $40,000. None of this makes sense to me.
He embellishes everything else, why not tell the GF it was a higher figure?

Hi all. This thread has been an interesting read. Though I have been hesitant to register for various reasons I thought some background on DC criminal procedure might be helpful.

Just as background, in D.C. every defendant charged with a felony has an initial hearing within 48 hours of their arrest called a Presentment before a judicial officer at which time the preliminary charge is read and an immediate temporary detention decision is made. He is then entitled to a preliminary hearing within so many days (actually 20 for felonies) but in most murder cases the atty asks for a later date so they can be as prepared as possible. Obviously defense investigation needs to start asap. The atty would also be filing discovery demand letters on the govt. & serving subpoenas even thought the govt doesn't turn over discovery until the def is arraigned (i.e., charged formally with the indictment). At the PH the defense gets what's called Jencks material - some of the forms and notes made by the PH witnesses (not everything that wit completed but that which comes under the Jencks Act - there are often battles over what should be labeled Jencks material - sometimes a reason for a bench conference).

That PH also acts as a detention hearing and determines whether the def will be held or released under release alternatives. In murder cases preventive detention is almost a given.

At his arrest (when he is first held) a clock starts ticking for the return of an indictment. The govt has 9 months to indict or the court has to reconsider release conditions. Every time the defense requests a continuance at this stage they must also waive that time period and the clock is suspended. It restarts when the case gets back on its procedural treadmill. So Wint waived all that time he used to change attorneys giving the govt more time to get their indictment.

The case also has to go before a grand jury for indictment. Had there been an indictment before the PH date then it would negate the right to a PH - a detention hearing would have still been held but in cases like this it's almost pro forma taking minutes, maybe seconds - upshot, the def is not getting released.

I've read discussions wondering why Wint hasn't been charged yet with all 4 murders. When someone is arrested the govt just charges with a bare bones complaint so he can be appropriately held and the case can start. You can't read anything into it. Wint has not been indicted yet and that is where you will see all the charges against him. I thought they might have indicted him by the time of the PH and then they would have just held an arraignment rather than a PH.

I wasn't present for this PH but when there is an affidavit that supports an arrest warrant then at a PH all the govt does is ask the Detective to adopt it and query if there is anything to add to or correct. The judge then reads the affidavit and that becomes evidence and essentially the govt's silent testimony. As many posters have noted the govt does its best to not make this hearing about discovery. In fact, with the strong case against Wint outlined in the affidavit (DNA at crime scene AND during crime, possession ransom money) many judges would never have allowed any questioning about other persons since that wouldn't negate PC against Wint. Ago is lucky in his judge. She gave Ago a lot of leeway.

Case still needs GJ indictment despite having a PH: I suspect that this case has already been presented to at least one if not 2 or more grand juries already. I seem to recall reports that witnesses were already appearing before a GJ back in May. Sorry no cite for that. I believe that for summer GJs are just sitting for a month each. Depending on their start and end dates, there might have already been 3 GJs (May, June and July) that have heard bits and pieces of this case. It can be a long process since each new GJ that takes evidence in a case has to have all the prior GJ testimony and evidence presented read to it. When a reading session is scheduled it gets bumped if that time is needed for a live witness in any other case so that can delay an indictment's return.

So patience is needed. Nothing Wint has done has delayed or stalled this case. A GJ has been working on it from early on and they have many months to get their indictment. The current procedural stage is that the case has been bound over to the GJ.

Hope this wasn't too long or too convoluted but it seems to waste people's energy and time when they are left guessing about what's next. And to be clear, this is for D.C.

Great info and welcome JayMac. Glad you registered and I'm looking forward to your contributions.

I wasn't present for this PH but when there is an affidavit that supports an arrest warrant then at a PH all the govt does is ask the Detective to adopt it and query if there is anything to add or correct. The judge then reads the affidavit and that becomes evidence and essentially the govt's silent testimony. As many posters have noted the govt does its best to not make this hearing about discovery. In fact, with the strong case against Wint outlined in the affidavit (DNA at crime scene AND during crime, possession ransom money) many judges would never have allowed any questioning about other persons since that wouldn't negate PC against Wint. Ago is lucky in his judge. She gave Ago a lot of leeway.

Case still needs GJ indictment despite having a PH: I suspect that this case has already been presented to at least one if not 2 or more grand juries. I seem to recall reports that witnesses were already appearing before a GJ back in May. Sorry no cite for that. I believe that for summer GJs are just sitting for a month each. Depending on their start and end dates, there might have already been 3 GJs (May, June and July) that have heard bits and pieces of this case. It can be a long process since each new GJ that takes evidence in a case has to have all the prior GJ testimony and evidence presented previously read to it. When a reading session is scheduled it gets bumped if that time is needed for a live witness in any other case so that can delay an indictment's return.

So patience is needed. Nothing Wint has done so far has delayed or stalled this case. A GJ has been working on it from early on and they have many months to get their indictment. The current procedural stage is that the case has been bound over to the GJ.

Welcome! This was GREAT.

:welcome6:

From what has been reported, judge already ruled there is probable cause for DW to go on trial. So what is going to be GJ's role?

Apparently there were a series of texts that day (and ostensibly previous days) but we don't know the content of the other texts OR the sequence of the texts. I think the only text that is given a time is the approximately 9 am one. The others, including when and how quickly W2 responded to JW's text are not detailed as far as I know. Please correct me if I'm wrong and include links!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
lyle.person1