DC - Savvas Savopoulos, family & Veralicia Figueroa murdered; Daron Wint Arrested #21

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
Thanks, good memory. I looked through the transcript again, and the everything that's said supports that the crime started no later than 6:00 PM. He's not asked the question, "could it have started earlier?" LE isn't trying to set the record straight at the preliminary hearing; they are just trying to get the case to trial. I still think that the supposed 6:00 start-time will be corrected at trial.

Right and the crime being prosecuted in this case is murder of SS so start time would be about him --- not the others in the house which likely started earlier in the afternoon.

Right and the crime being prosecuted in this case is murder of SS so start time would be about him --- not the others in the house which likely started earlier in the afternoon.

But that's not been what's been testified to and in search warrants. Both for the Wint search warrant and in the pre-trial testimony the window break alarm is being used for when and how the perp(s) got into the house. I 100% don't agree with it, but LE/DA is saying this thing went down then, not earlier. The actual charge is Felony Murder, which the felony began before the murder and the detective testified in the prelim that 'they' were held hostage starting after 6 PM based on the window break alarm and the phone records.
Q Okay.
In your affidavit you indicated that the offense
began shortly after 6 p.m. on the night of the 13th.
A Yes.
Q Correct?
What is your basis for saying that?
A That goes back to the phone records.
Q What do you mean by that?
A The type of phone communications after six o'clock
indicate that, I want to put it possibly they were being held
hostage at that time.

Which the 'they' couldn't have included SS himself as he was last seen at the dojo at around 6 PM where he would have got home around 6:30-6:45ish (if not later). I absolutely think SS called AS come home when she was under duress, but that's not the current publicly stated LE/DA theory.

But that's not been what's been testified to and in search warrants. Both for the Wint search warrant and in the pre-trial testimony the window break alarm is being used for when and how the perp(s) got into the house. I 100% don't agree with it, but LE/DA is saying this thing went down then, not earlier. The actual charge is Felony Murder, which the felony began before the murder and the detective testified in the prelim that 'they' were held hostage starting after 6 PM based on the window break alarm and the phone records.
Q Okay.
In your affidavit you indicated that the offense
began shortly after 6 p.m. on the night of the 13th.
A Yes.
Q Correct?
What is your basis for saying that?
A That goes back to the phone records.
Q What do you mean by that?
A The type of phone communications after six o'clock
indicate that, I want to put it possibly they were being held
hostage at that time.

Which the 'they' couldn't have included SS himself as he was last seen at the dojo at around 6 PM where he would have got home around 6:30-6:45ish (if not later). I absolutely think SS called AS come home when she was under duress, but that's not the current publicly stated LE/DA theory.

Narrowly interpreted, the question is about the affidavit, not about whether there is any change or question about the original theory. The answer "The type of phone communications after six o'clock indicate that...they were being held hostage at that time," just means that they were probably being held hostage no later than when the calls started. In any case, I think we'll see the estimate revised to an earlier time at trial, IMHO.

“I don’t know that he’s a stupid criminal, but I don’t think he’s a complex criminal,” said Hosko. “Daron Wint acted by himself. This was his plan for the simplest of reasons -- he knew they had money.”

http://www.fox5dc.com/news/local-news/50296773-story

“I don’t know that he’s a stupid criminal, but I don’t think he’s a complex criminal,” said Hosko. “Daron Wint acted by himself. This was his plan for the simplest of reasons -- he knew they had money.”

Also said by Hosko in the article “To me the remaining question is: Did he have help? And if so, how much?”

Also said by Hosko in the article “To me the remaining question is: Did he have help? And if so, how much?”

When interviewed on CNN:

Former Asst Director FBI Ron Hosko
"Certainly by now they have had enough time to do lab examinations, to get records- typically in this case phone records that may put others in proximity to the crime scene. To lift fingerprints and get other DNA from the scene. Now the question is: does that evidence exist? "

Hosko doesn't sound like the sharpest tool in the shed and I'm guessing he has no insider info about this case because this statement begs the question: If money was the motive, why was so much money and jewelry (gold = $$$) left behind?

Hosko doesn't sound like the sharpest tool in the shed and I'm guessing he has no insider info about this case because this statement begs the question: If money was the motive, why was so much money and jewelry (gold = $$$) left behind?

I'm guessing Hosko, the former Asst. Director of the FBI, is plenty sharp.
JMO

In 2012 he was assistant director of the Criminal Investigative Division (CID) at FBI Headquarters . Prior to that he served as special agent in charge of the Washington Field Office Criminal Division.

He has a degree in psychology and criminal justice then earned his Law degree from Temple University.

I'm guessing Hosko, the former Asst. Director of the FBI, is plenty sharp.
JMO

In 2012 he was assistant director of the Criminal Investigative Division (CID) at FBI Headquarters . Prior to that he served as special agent in charge of the Washington Field Office Criminal Division.

He has a degree in psychology and criminal justice then earned his Law degree from Temple University.
He comes across as someone speaking about a case that he's not very familiar with...

And, frankly, we have a long history of high level government executives who were not tool sharp.

He comes across as someone speaking about a case that he's not very familiar with...

And, frankly, we have a long history of high level government executives who were not tool sharp.

Hosko was an FBI agent since 1984 who retired after 30 years of service. He spent the latter part of his career in Washington DC so JMO but he probably has many many contacts in local law enforcement that is investigating this crime
As for being not "tool" sharp...? He seems pretty accomplished to me

FBI.gov:

In 1992, Mr. Hosko began serving on the Chicago Violent Crimes Task Force, where he focused on violent crime and fugitive investigations until he was promoted to supervisor in 1995. In this role, he continued to serve on the task force while also leading investigations into various federal crimes.

In 2001, Mr. Hosko reported to the Critical Incident and Response Group, first as supervisor and then as unit chief of the Crisis Management Unit. In this role, he served as deputy to the Joint Operations Center commander during the Winter Olympics in Salt Lake City, Utah, and led the FBI in its interagency cooperation during the 2002 sniper shootings in Washington, D.C.

In 2003, Mr. Hosko was promoted to assistant special agent in charge of the Philadelphia Division, where he was responsible for investigations into criminal matters. While in this role, he led the division’s surveillance and technical operations, and he served as the program supervisor for crisis management. In 2005, Mr. Hosko served as the on-scene commander of FBI personnel deployed to Afghanistan in support of Operation Enduring Freedom. Later that year, he served as deputy to the senior fellow law enforcement official following Hurricane Katrina.

In February 2006, Mr. Hosko served as deputy on-scene commander for FBI personnel supporting the Winter Olympics in Turin, Italy. He was promoted to inspector in 2007, before being assigned to his most recent post with the Washington Field Office in 2010.

He is FBI with 30 years experience investigating violent crimes. He is familiar with evidence collection and investigative procedures.
The fact no other arrests have been made IMO, indicates Hosko might be correct that no evidence implicating others has been discovered and Wint indeed acted alone.

Hosko was an FBI agent since 1984 who retired after 30 years of service. He spent the latter part of his career in Washington DC so JMO but he probably has many many contacts in local law enforcement that is investigating this crime
As for being not "tool" sharp...? He seems pretty accomplished to me

FBI.gov:

In 1992, Mr. Hosko began serving on the Chicago Violent Crimes Task Force, where he focused on violent crime and fugitive investigations until he was promoted to supervisor in 1995. In this role, he continued to serve on the task force while also leading investigations into various federal crimes.

In 2001, Mr. Hosko reported to the Critical Incident and Response Group, first as supervisor and then as unit chief of the Crisis Management Unit. In this role, he served as deputy to the Joint Operations Center commander during the Winter Olympics in Salt Lake City, Utah, and led the FBI in its interagency cooperation during the 2002 sniper shootings in Washington, D.C.

In 2003, Mr. Hosko was promoted to assistant special agent in charge of the Philadelphia Division, where he was responsible for investigations into criminal matters. While in this role, he led the division’s surveillance and technical operations, and he served as the program supervisor for crisis management. In 2005, Mr. Hosko served as the on-scene commander of FBI personnel deployed to Afghanistan in support of Operation Enduring Freedom. Later that year, he served as deputy to the senior fellow law enforcement official following Hurricane Katrina.

In February 2006, Mr. Hosko served as deputy on-scene commander for FBI personnel supporting the Winter Olympics in Turin, Italy. He was promoted to inspector in 2007, before being assigned to his most recent post with the Washington Field Office in 2010.
Again, his comments reveal that he's not well informed about this case.

Let's just agree to disagree and move on please. Thank you!

Again, his comments reveal that he's not well informed about this case.

Yes. I disagree. He's an experienced criminal investigator in the DC area who voiced his opinion. The fact that no other arrests have been made indicate IMO that he just might be correct that Wint acted alone.

What's wrong with different opinions? I always appreciate the differing
views. Makes me think..

I think that DW was either solo. Or his co helpers decided to eat all off their pizza including the crust. Lol

But seriously. Moms, maid and son was no threat to him taking over initially. Then it was him vs dad while already having dads family hostage which helped him control dad.

Now it seems like DW was calling the shots with the money regarding his friends during the aftermath.

So I think DW was truly solo until he fled the house since he was the only one on camera running away. Jmo

(Respectfully clipped by me)

Excellent thoughts. My only issue with this excellent theory is that right after the first reports of this horrific crime emerged myself and a few others here on WS thoroughly searched the web for any publicity and/or information about this new martial arts facility opening in the area and, if I recall correctly, the only thing we found was a single Facebook post mentioning it (but not announcing a grand opening or any dates).

With this in mind, it would require for the person(s) involved in the crime to have knowledge about the facility and/or it's grand opening that was unavailable to the general public.

Since the first reports of this crime emerged I've been puzzled by the reports that the cash withdraw amount was connected to the grand opening of the martial arts facility when there had been literally zero publicity about the facility or a grand opening event.

That would just mean the perp/perps would need to have insider info as opposed to public info. There are enough people that would have been aware of this opening--construction people, employees, assistant, martial arts friends--and could have relayed the info to potential perps either purposefully or inadvertently.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

That would just mean the perp/perps would need to have insider info as opposed to public info. There are enough people that would have been aware of this opening--construction people, employees, assistant, martial arts friends--and could have relayed the info to potential perps either purposefully or inadvertently.

I don't think the perp or perps needed to have any info about the Dojo opening. Posters here and the housekeeper are the only ones who have said anything about cash being around for the opening, and as far as I know, that was speculation and there was no cash being withdrawn for the opening at all. The cover story that SS gave his controller was that he needed the cash for an auction. The perp(s) would only have to believe that SS could get his hands on cash, which as CEO of a privately-held company, was indeed possible.

I don't think the perp or perps needed to have any info about the Dojo opening. Posters here and the housekeeper are the only ones who have said anything about cash being around for the opening, and as far as I know, that was speculation and there was no cash being withdrawn for the opening at all. The cover story that SS gave his controller was that he needed the cash for an auction. The perp(s) would only have to believe that SS could get his hands on cash, which as CEO of a privately-held company, was indeed possible.

Good point. I don't necessarily think the opening was the impetus for the crime. But I also don't think the thing that would preclude that as a possibility was a lack of public-facing info about the opening. I am still of the mind that Wint didn't just up and decide one day to go kill his old boss's family on his own. I suspect that someone or something put the idea in his mind.

Good point. I don't necessarily think the opening was the impetus for the crime. But I also don't think the thing that would preclude that as a possibility was a lack of public-facing info about the opening. I am still of the mind that Wint didn't just up and decide one day to go kill his old boss's family on his own. I suspect that someone or something put the idea in his mind.

I totally agree that something must have been the impetus and that he didn't just suddenly think of robbing SS out of the blue ten years after working for him. It will be really interesting to know what that was -- whether he ran across someone who was working for the family and was reminded of them that way, or heard something about Philip's racing, or the Dojo, saw a picture of them at a charity event in the newspaper... I agree it almost had to be something.

The perp(s) would only have to believe that SS could get his hands on cash, which as CEO of a privately-held company, was indeed possible.

Actually it's getting someone else's hands on the cash without AS/SS signing for it and having it hand delivered as well it as there's a huge difference between taking someone hostage and needing them to physically go into the bank versus nobody that wasn't involved having to see the hostages/perps in order to get the cash home delivered. Any number of business owners may have lots of cash in the bank, but you'd have to know that they have a non-family member available who is an authorized signer to the account that can go in you absence and one way or another have that cash brought to your house.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
tkm0284