Early Parole and Missed Opportunities-What happened?

Welcome to Websleuths!
Click to learn how to make a missing person's thread

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Page 9 of the report shows a simple time line with a lot of information:

January 1988: Garrido paroled from federal incarceration and transferred to Nevada
Department of Prisons.
January – August 1988: Garrido incarcerated in Nevada State Prison.
August 1988: Garrido paroled from Nevada State Prison; goes to live with wife at his
mother’s residence in Antioch, California.
August 1988 – January 1999: Garrido supervised by federal parole authorities.
June 1991: Garrido allegedly kidnaps Jaycee Dugard from South Lake Tahoe.
March 1993: Garrido violates federal parole and returns to prison for four weeks.
He is released in April 1993 to prior restrictions and electronic monitoring.
March 1999: U.S. Parole Administration terminates Garrido’s federal parole supervision.
June 1999 – August 2009: Department performs parole supervision of Garrido on the
behalf of Nevada.
April 2008: Department begins GPS monitoring of Garrido.
August 2009: Garrido and his wife arrested for kidnapping and sexually assaulting
Jaycee Dugard.

No mention of the Oakland 1/2 way house. He did return to prison for 4 weeks for sure in 1993. It says he was released in 1993 to prior restrictions and electronic monitoring. Did he have this on?

In 2008 cdc begins GPS monitoring of pg. Is that different than electronic monitoring? Is the em the call in type monitoring?

This report is buried among pot busts, etc. in the online Contra Costa Times newspaper!!!

I am not convinced the daughters really didn't know JC was their mother.
I think the daughters might have known but were told to say she was their sister if anyone asked.

I think you are right. And they probably heard Garrido lie so much, and have others lie for him that it wouldn't have seemed strange or wrong at all.

The only thing that makes me think this may not be the case is that Carl initially said that they thought she was their sister, and it was a big shock to them to learn that she was their mother. It could be poor reporting, or maybe there was just so much information to take in that Carl misunderstood something.

The report released today with her professing to be their mother in front of them, Nancy and the PO contradicts stories we've heard that she told them she was their mom sometime after they were recovered. If they'd already heard it at the parole office then that makes it much less of a revelation.

The only way things add up for me is as you say, they knew she was their mother but were told to say otherwise.

New detail from the OIC report, (not sure if I'll have time to read it all now)...
A new condition had been instituted in Garrido’s parole the month before, in July 2009, prohibiting Garrido from being in the presence of minors, but on August 25, the parole agent and supervisor decided that the condition didn’t apply to Garrido because Garrido had no prior or current convictions involving minors.

Just finished reading the 45 pages. If I didn't know it was true, I'd say it had to all be made up. The gross negligence all the way across the board is well, unbelievable. If CA parole is based on the U.S. Government's, good Lord, that would explain how Jaycee was kidnapped in the first place! Very few people did their job, period. Not just one parole agent, 10 of them! It's even worse than I thought. :(

Anyway, the above statement caught my attention also. WHY was the condition added that prohibited PG from being in the presence of minors in July 2009? He must have done something, or they became suspicious of something, or they never would have added it. (only to remove it a month later), but WHY was it added in the first place???

And how could they not possibly look at the GPS reports? Where was he going every night between July and August of 2009 for nine hours??? And from April 08 to June? The report says it was possibly totally disconnected from June 5 09 - Aug 26 09. How could they not be concerned!!!!! :furious:

This part of the report was very telling in my opinion, as it explains how they monitored him I don't think they could ever explain why though:

For the 123 months that the department had jurisdiction over Garrido, the administrator found
that there were only 12 months of satisfactory supervision. Put another way, 90 percent of the
time the department’s oversight of Garrido lacked required actions (see Figure 4).
As Figure 4 illustrates, the department’s inadequate supervision of the Garrido case began
from the start of its jurisdiction, and although it improved significantly over the last two years,
inadequate supervision persisted throughout most of the 10-year span. The administrator noted
that a parole agent failed to conduct a required home visit when Garrido was first assigned to
California parole. In fact, a parole agent did not visit the residence until May 2000, almost one
year after the department began its parole supervision. Similarly, between June 2001 and July
2002, parole agents failed to visit Garrido’s home. Between June 2004 and August 2005, parole
agents visited Garrido only once.
The administrator concluded that at least six parole agents had supervised Garrido during this
period; this number may be higher because some of the parole file entries were illegible. The
administrator noted that the parole agent who was supervising Garrido at the time of his arrest
had only been supervising him since October 2008.
Additionally, the administrator found that parole agents failed to perform a multitude of
required home visits, collateral contacts, and drug testing throughout the period of parole
supervision. He found that even after April 2008, when Garrido was placed on the passive GPS
monitoring program–and as a result the parole agent commenced more frequent home visits
(see Figure 4)–the parole agent failed to ensure that Garrido completed required drug testing.
At the outset of Garrido’s parole supervision, the department was confused regarding his parole
status and failed to perform even minimum levels of supervision. After being released from
federal parole in March 1999, Garrido first reported to the department on June 8, 1999, at the
department’s request.
The department had accepted Garrido for parole supervision from the State of Nevada at
Nevada’s request in June 1999. Garrido met with his parole agent at the parole office and
explained that he believed that Nevada should have discharged him from parole supervision
when the federal government discharged him in March 1999. Over the subsequent five months,
the only activity the department performed on Garrido’s case was to discuss his objections to
being subject to continued parole supervision. Therefore, it was not until November 9, 1999,
that the department began to actively supervise Garrido.
For reasons discussed in detail below, the department then inappropriately assigned Garrido
to its minimum level of supervision rather than to its high control level of supervision, which
would have been consistent with Garrido’s being a sex offender. Consequently, between
November 1999 and May 2000, the only contact the department had with Garrido was five
brief monthly written reports that Garrido submitted to the parole agent, and one phone call
that Garrido placed to the parole agent advising the agent he had completed his required annual
registration as a sex offender with the local law enforcement agency.

Heads should roll and someon needs to be held accountable!!!

I think you are right. And they probably heard Garrido lie so much, and have others lie for him that it wouldn't have seemed strange or wrong at all.

The only thing that makes me think this may not be the case is that Carl initially said that they thought she was their sister, and it was a big shock to them to learn that she was their mother. It could be poor reporting, or maybe there was just so much information to take in that Carl misunderstood something.

The report released today with her professing to be their mother in front of them, Nancy and the PO contradicts stories we've heard that she told them she was their mom sometime after they were recovered. If they'd already heard it at the parole office then that makes it much less of a revelation.

The only way things add up for me is as you say, they knew she was their mother but were told to say otherwise.

I wonder why Garrido brought her and the kids to meet the parole agent in a first place.
They didn't even get their stories straight.
Garrido was saying they were his brother's children.
JC said various things, including that she was an abused wife from Minnesota hiding from her husband.
It could be they told so many stories to various people over the years to explain JC and the girls they couldn't keep them straight if their life depended on it.

I wonder why Garrido brought her and the kids to meet the agent in a first place.
JC said various things, including that she was an abused wife from Minnesota hiding from her husband.

Maybe he was afraid a PO would go to the house while he was at their office?

ETA: I was just thinking a little more on this, and you're so right. For him to be such an accomplished criminal, not to mention liar, this was a huge foible. Did the whole thing just catch him completely off guard? Or after so many years of getting by was he over confident? Was the "brother's kids" thing the most recent lie and he figured Jaycee and Nancy would follow suit?

ETA: I was just thinking a little more on this, and you're so right. For him to be such an accomplished criminal, not to mention liar, this was a huge foible. Did the whole thing just catch him completely off guard? Or after so many years of getting by was he over confident? Was the "brother's kids" thing the most recent lie and he figured Jaycee and Nancy would follow suit?

I've never understood this whatsoever. I brought this up on one of the threads once and one person praised the PO and stated he had to "figure it out, he could have just let pg walk away, but he didn't."

I hate to say that it wouldn't have surprised me. This whole situation is just too sad?

I've never understood this whatsoever. I brought this up on one of the threads once and one person praised the PO and stated he had to "figure it out, he could have just let pg walk away, but he didn't."

I hate to say that it wouldn't have surprised me. This whole situation is just too sad?

I think it was you, Sunnie, that originally brought up the fact that PG was given the opportunity to have harmed the girls. I was surprised that was lightly mentioned in the report.

I wonder why Garrido brought her and the kids to meet the parole agent in a first place.
It could be they told so many stories to various people over the years to explain JC and the girls they couldn't keep them straight if their life depended on it.

Just thinking (and I hope I am following all of this right), but maybe Garrido thought showing up with Jaycee and the girls was some proof they were with their mother and nothing weird was going on concerning his involvement? Could he have claimed he fessed up to them not being his brothers and then said he was protecting her identity because she was an abused woman (and, of course, no one they could contact because it would be risky)? He thought showing up with them would keep them from looking for the girls since they already knew about them, perhaps. Bet he didn't think he would have to go in at all given how much he got away with so he punted at the last minute and it all got confused.

I just had another weird thought about this, esp seeing that Jaycee was so assertive and seemingly articulate/prepared - maybe Garrido presented it as a test for her as he increasingly had given her more freedom. And, further, maybe if he could pass her off as the abused mom from Minnesota in the future, he promised things would become more normal (maybe he would just say this to her or maybe he intended some transformation like that - thinking she then blends into society)?

It's interesting to me that during the initial questioning by the PO on August 26 about why Garrido was at UC Berkeley with two young girls that, in front of Nancy and both children, Jaycee told the PO that she was their mother. It seems out of place if the "official story" was that all three of them were sisters, and even Starlet and Angel thought this to be true. Was she deviating from "the script" as a cry for help, or just doing her best to make everything okay (given the situation)? It even says "Alyssa said that she was 29 years old, laughingly explaining that she often gets that comment and that people believe she is the girls’ sister". What if he had asked how old the oldest daughter was? And wouldn't the two kids, upon hearing her say she was their mother have been like "Waaaah?"

Did any of you think this was odd?

Yeah, that was pretty odd! She was covering for him at first (due to brainwashing and/or fear), so he may have told her to say they were her kids, and that she allowed them to accompany him to Berkeley. Garrido may have thought that that would deflect suspicion from him a bit, sort of like, "I took in this abused woman from MN and her children, and she thinks I'm really good with her kids. See? They're not my kids. I've changed. Move along now." That, or the girls knew all along that she was their mom, but this would condradict what Carl Probyn's said in the past.

Page 9 of the report shows a simple time line with a lot of information:

snipped from your thread:

No mention of the Oakland 1/2 way house. He did return to prison for 4 weeks for sure in 1993. It says he was released in 1993 to prior restrictions and electronic monitoring. Did he have this on?

I actually commend CA for immediately investigating this horrid chain of events. The "federales" should be doing the exact same thing. After all, at least so far as we know, this 1991 abduction was the WORST of PG's nasty deeds. Where the hell were they?

New detail from the OIC report, (not sure if I'll have time to read it all now)...
A new condition had been instituted in Garrido’s parole the month before, in July 2009, prohibiting Garrido from being in the presence of minors, but on August 25, the parole agent and supervisor decided that the condition didn’t apply to Garrido because Garrido had no prior or current convictions involving minors.

OMFG if he hadnt showed up with jaycee and the girls there nightmare would still be going on thanks to these fools :(

On the day that Garrido was eventually arrested for kidnapping, rape, and other sexual crimes, he gave a similar story to his parole agent. He told his parole agent that his three victims, including the two girls he allegedly fathered with Jaycee, were his brother’s children.
Because Garrido’s commitment offense, or controlling offense, did not include minors, his parole at the time did not contain a condition prohibiting him from being in the presence of minors. Therefore, the presence of the 12-year-old girl alone did not violate Garrido’s parole conditions. However, based on Garrido’s criminal history, the parole agent should have confirmed the story that Garrido provided. Included in Garrido’s parole file was information related to a 1972 arrest for drugging and raping a minor. The charges were evidently dropped when the minor refused to testify against Garrido. Nevertheless, this arrest in Garrido’s past should have spurred the parole agent to further investigate Garrido’s story. We easily contacted Garrido’s brother and determined that he did not have a daughter. If the parole agent had taken
this basic investigative step, he would have determined that Garrido was being dishonest and could have investigated further.

<snip>
However, the parole agent apparently accepted Garrido’s story that the two children belonged to his brother. Instead of contacting Garrido’s brother on the spot to resolve this conflict, the parole agent drove Garrido back to his residence, released him and instructed him to return to the parole office the next day.
BBM.

god i think im gonna vomit.
yet they did such a great job uncovering this.......please for the love of god fire them all or put them in a cell next to garrido

It's interesting to me that during the initial questioning by the PO on August 26 about why Garrido was at UC Berkeley with two young girls that, in front of Nancy and both children, Jaycee told the PO that she was their mother. It seems out of place if the "official story" was that all three of them were sisters, and even Starlet and Angel thought this to be true. Was she deviating from "the script" as a cry for help, or just doing her best to make everything okay (given the situation)? It even says "Alyssa said that she was 29 years old, laughingly explaining that she often gets that comment and that people believe she is the girls’ sister". What if he had asked how old the oldest daughter was? And wouldn't the two kids, upon hearing her say she was their mother have been like "Waaaah?"

seems like to obvious a slip up. like she was trying to draw attention that something was wrong with garrido' story

Personally, and I think that's why it failed for PG so horribly, this was a "new" script! (you gotta remember he was "really" starting to lose his mind here!) He some how had to explain the two little girls that he'd been in Berkeley with. If he could get Jaycee to say she WAS their mother, maybe it would make sense to LE that he had them around and everything was okay because she was their mother. From what I read, Nancy was still in the room with Jaycee AND the girls??? So, it would have been her, who was "controlling" by her presence alone what Jaycee said and what the girls did. JMO

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Buffalo13
Back