Evidence revealed during the course of the Wrongful Death action

Welcome to Websleuths!
Click to learn how to make a missing person's thread

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
This thought just came to me. On the thread about Cheryl DeBoer, there has been much discussion whether her death was suicide or murder. In retracing what is known about her fateful morning, the outstanding question is how did she even know about the manner in which she died. Many of us had never heard of it, so did she research it and if so where.

This leads me to ask the same question about Rebecca. From the many steps that were involved in her pre-death preparation, where did this idea and knowledge come from? The computer and phone records did not show that she had been looking for this information. Paint a message on the door, tie a rope to the bed frame, and each of the other steps that were taken to make an entity say her death looks like a suicide. All of these steps took knowledge of using these steps in another manner. Do you see what I am trying to say? Someone(s) was simulating everything, with the exception of the note, with a practice they were familiar with. Maybe being on a boat, wanting to throw an item overboard, and making sure it stayed down - like an anchor or a net?

Rebecca did not come up with this idea herself! There were much easier ways to hang herself! The time it took to do all this preparation, she could have done the deed and it would be over. Most women do have some modesty. Rebecca would not have put herself on public display like she was on. This was done by a person who really hated her! This person wanted to do everything in their power to get revenge on Rebecca. And what about the clothes Rebecca was wearing before her shower? Did she stuff them down the drain? No, they were not found. But were the drains really checked? Like all the other mysteries in this case, Rebecca's clothes just weren't found!

If a question arose without an immediate answer, swoosh, it was like that question had never been asked. On to something else.

On the redundant remark of Rebecca not telling Mary about the shoplifting episode, I find that quite natural. How many of us do not tell anyone of a negative in our life or an event we are ashamed of?

Great post and spoken like a future juror!

This thought just came to me. On the thread about Cheryl DeBoer, there has been much discussion whether her death was suicide or murder. In retracing what is known about her fateful morning, the outstanding question is how did she even know about the manner in which she died. Many of us had never heard of it, so did she research it and if so where.

This leads me to ask the same question about Rebecca. From the many steps that were involved in her pre-death preparation, where did this idea and knowledge come from? The computer and phone records did not show that she had been looking for this information. Paint a message on the door, tie a rope to the bed frame, and each of the other steps that were taken to make an entity say her death looks like a suicide. All of these steps took knowledge of using these steps in another manner. Do you see what I am trying to say? Someone(s) was simulating everything, with the exception of the note, with a practice they were familiar with. Maybe being on a boat, wanting to throw an item overboard, and making sure it stayed down - like an anchor or a net?

Rebecca did not come up with this idea herself! There were much easier ways to hang herself! The time it took to do all this preparation, she could have done the deed and it would be over. Most women do have some modesty. Rebecca would not have put herself on public display like she was on. This was done by a person who really hated her! This person wanted to do everything in their power to get revenge on Rebecca. And what about the clothes Rebecca was wearing before her shower? Did she stuff them down the drain? No, they were not found. But were the drains really checked? Like all the other mysteries in this case, Rebecca's clothes just weren't found!

If a question arose without an immediate answer, swoosh, it was like that question had never been asked. On to something else.

On the redundant remark of Rebecca not telling Mary about the shoplifting episode, I find that quite natural. How many of us do not tell anyone of a negative in our life or an event we are ashamed of?

We did find out tonight that Rebecca had a book on rope tying in her office. Other than that, her method of suicide was not very unusual.

Exactly - how many of us do not tell anyone of a negative in our life or an event we are ashamed of? That's exactly why Rebecca didn't talk to Mary about her guilt over Max or her plans for suicide.

Rebecca slept in the nude, and the courtyard was private. The only reason she was seen by anyone is because News8 helicopters flew over to take photos.

D
No Lash we have never heard this, but honestly I do believe he put his kids over Rebecca and I do believe he thought she had something to do with Max's demise at least at that time. I do think he was angry with her, IMO who wouldn't be really? Of course you go to someones funeral and act decent and nice etc, but a couple things on his end have always made me think this..ONE...he was not coming home at nights, two...he sure had that door painted and rehung pretty darn quick. I would have saved the love of my lifes last words, even if they didnt reflect well on me no matter what! Then as I recall, he also did not waste too much time in getting another young beautiful woman in his life..and next...SILENCE!

I would have asked the same questions of the family etc if I were him..about someone wanting to hurt her...just because.

I dont think Rebecca was depressed I think she was REALLY Pissed! She had given up her job to be with Jonah, she had given up a husband that according to her own words, cared more for her than she did him, and more for her than Jonah did. In her minds eye she had given everything of herself and I think she felt betrayed by Jonah, and yea we are never going to know what that last conversation with Jonah was about but we can guess.

That's weird. I remember you saying or alluding to the fact that you thought Jonah was at the mansion when the fall of Max's took place and that he had a hand in all of this? Why do you now say he suspected Rebecca?

Oh yeah- we learned about this book from one of the three defendants being accused of her murder. Well of course it must be true if they put it in their court filing. GMAB.

Here we go with anything mentioned in the defendants responses becoming 'facts' now. I don't think so.

We did find out tonight that Rebecca had a book on rope tying in her office. Other than that, her method of suicide was not very unusual.

Exactly - how many of us do not tell anyone of a negative in our life or an event we are ashamed of? That's exactly why Rebecca didn't talk to Mary about her guilt over Max or her plans for suicide.

Rebecca slept in the nude, and the courtyard was private. The only reason she was seen by anyone is because News8 helicopters flew over to take photos.

It was Jonah's house so the book was his.

Because Rebecca slept in the nude you find it okay that she was videotaped dead and nude by news helicopters? Am I misreading your post? If so, that is blasphemous snd entirely disrespectful to any human being. Your rage shows.

Oh yeah- we learned about this book from one of the three defendants being accused of her murder. Well of course it must be true if they put it in their court filing. GMAB.

Here we go with anything mentioned in the defendants responses becoming 'facts' now. I don't think so.

Yup, this seems to be the way the defense is playing it out because they've got nothin'.

It's tiring really and the taunting is just exhausting. How anyone finds any of this- murder or suicide- funny... I just don't get it.

Poor Rebecca- she never knew what getting involved with Jonah could lead to. Sigh.
If someone who knows none of these players can viciously, cruelly and callously despise her so much I can only imagine the rage and torment she experienced at the hands of Dina. Heartbreaking.

Because Rebecca slept in the nude you find it okay that she was videotaped dead and nude by news helicopters? Am I misreading your post? If so, that is blasphemous snd entirely disrespectful to any human being. Your rage shows.

Are you purposely trying to twist my words?

Rebecca's body and suicide would have been private and only meant for Jonah's eyes. Except for News 8. If I had been the Zahaus, that's who I would have sued. However, the Zahaus continued to cozy up to News 8 to get publicity for their Civil Case.

Nope, no disrespect, no blasphemy, no rage.

It's tiring really and the taunting is just exhausting. How anyone finds any of this- murder or suicide- funny... I just don't get it.

Poor Rebecca- she never knew what getting involved with Jonah could lead to. Sigh.
If someone who knows none of these players can viciously, cruelly and callously despise her so much I can only imagine the rage and torment she experienced at the hands of Dina. Heartbreaking.

Are you accusing me of despising Rebecca Zahau simply because I believe she committed suicide? No, I don't despise her at all. Please don't assume how I feel.

Hmm---Book on rope tying?...I sure hope this book was analyzed by the forensic lab. Especially considering Rebecca was found tied with ropes, this book would be a significant piece of evidence and should have been analyzed for fingerprints and DNA. I don't recall any mention of this book in either of SDSO's press conferences where forensic evidence was discussed. If this book was really found in the room, I hope it was taken in as evidence. More so, I hope it was properly analyzed. It would be of interest to know how many DNA/fingerprint matches or non matches were found on the book. I have little faith this happened, like so many other pieces of evidence, but I would love to hear the official answer by SDSO.

It was in Rebecca's office.

In a home Jonah Shacknai owned and previously lived with his ex wife Dina Shacknai. Are we certain Jonah and RZ didn't share this room as an office? I need to check on that one.

Where was this book found in the room? All by itself or on a bookshelf with other books? When Dina lived at the mansion, where was her office? Was it the same room Rebecca used as an office? The new detail about this rope tying book is fascinating.

ETA -

---“Jonah Shacknai’s mansion had five stories. The lowest level was the basement; the first floor/main level consisted of a foyer, living room, sunroom, dining room, sitting area, butler’s pantry, kitchen, laundry room, and a half bath. The second floor had two bedrooms (an office and guest room/office) and a bathroom.”

---“The Memphis tugboat captain said he was crossing the square of grass below the balcony of Becky’s bedroom/office when he saw her hanging there.”

Excerpt From: Rule, Ann. “Fatal Friends, Deadly Neighbors.” Pocket Books.

I have a question and not sure which thread to post on.

Has it been revealed who owned the female clothing seen on the floor in the guest house bedroom when LE & ME arrived on the scene? TIA

In a home Jonah Shacknai owned and previously lived with his ex wife Dina Shacknai. Are we certain Jonah and RZ didn't share this room as an office? I need to check on that one.

Where was this book found in the room? All by itself or on a bookshelf with other books? When Dina lived at the mansion, where was her office? Was it the same room Rebecca used as an office? The new detail about this rope tying book is fascinating.

ETA -

---“Jonah Shacknai’s mansion had five stories. The lowest level was the basement; the first floor/main level consisted of a foyer, living room, sunroom, dining room, sitting area, butler’s pantry, kitchen, laundry room, and a half bath. The second floor had two bedrooms (an office and guest room/office) and a bathroom.”

---“The Memphis tugboat captain said he was crossing the square of grass below the balcony of Becky’s bedroom/office when he saw her hanging there.”

Excerpt From: Rule, Ann. “Fatal Friends, Deadly Neighbors.” Pocket Books.

The room was Rebecca's office. Not Jonah's, not Dina's. Your quote even says there was an office - that was Jonah's, and a guest room/office - that was Rebecca's.

The book on "rope binding methods" was Rebecca's, and Jonah would have confirmed that to LE. Just like the movie, The Housemaid, was Rebecca's.

Nice to see someone else quoting Ann Rule's book! Thanks for confirming Adam was not in Becky's office, but saw her hanging while crossing the courtyard.

The room was Rebecca's office. Not Jonah's, not Dina's. Your quote even says there was an office - that was Jonah's, and a guest room/office - that was Rebecca's.

The book on "rope binding methods" was Rebecca's, and Jonah would have confirmed that to LE. Just like the movie, The Housemaid, was Rebecca's.

Nice to see someone else quoting Ann Rule's book! Thanks for confirming Adam was not in Becky's office, but saw her hanging while crossing the courtyard.

BBM WHEN would Jonah have verified this mystery book? The one that was just, very conveniently found? It that book wasn't originally taken as evidence, then it isn't evidence. It could have been placed there pretty much anytime. I'm sure that Mary's team can pull together a timeline that shows when that mystery book magically showed up. And where. And by whom. To me, that would be something the jury could see right through. Probably not such a great defense. Looks desperate.

I have a question and not sure which thread to post on.

Has it been revealed who owned the female clothing seen on the floor in the guest house bedroom when LE & ME arrived on the scene? TIA

Nope, never! For some reason LE just assumed (or took the word of someone with power/influence) that it was from kids that "might" have stayed in the room. Even though it had likely been cleaned after so-called guests stayed there. Even though Rebecca was determined, at that time, to have died violently in a suspicious way. Oh yeah, and NUDE. But, nope. Never examined. Not sure where those clothes are now?

Yes, the quote from Rule's book does say Rebecca's office. I stated in my initial post I needed to research the office situation and I did. I came back to edit my post to add that Rebecca had an office. Hence the reason I used ETA (Edited To Add).

It would be an assumption the book on rope binding practices was RZ's. It has not been confirmed. Maybe it did belong to RZ, but we don't know. Nina Romano did not detail who the book belonged to in her Answer to the WDS. Just that the book was there. I would also like to know how Nina found out about this book? Was it in the copy she has of Rebecca's investigative file or is this more gossip?

Nope, Rule's quote does NOT confirm Adam was never in Rebecca's office. In fact the book doesn't confirm a dang thing. It can't be used in a court of law as reference material.

Please refrain from spinning my words. I would appreciate it, TIA :) Have a great day!

B6. This answering Defendant is informed and believes and thereon alleges that with

the belief that Maxfield was unlikely survive and having accessed a voice mail message left by

Jonah Shacknai in the early hours of July 13, 2011, Rebecca Zahau proceeded to find a water sport

style rope at the 1043 Ocean Boulevard house which she cut into three pieces. She fashioned two

of the pieces into ankle and wrist bindings that were lose and could easily be slipped into. She

tied the other, longer length of rope using a simple slip loop to one of the legs and frame of the

bed in the small bedroom adjacent to the balcony over which she hung herself. Defendant is

further informed that the Sheriffs Department noted the presence of a book on rope binding

practices in the room which Rebecca Zahau used as an office, the same room from where she hung

herself.

Defendant is informed the SDSO noted the presence of a book on rope binding practices - just a reminder to myself. Found in a room RZ used as an office. Question to self - how was Nina informed?

Yes, the quote from Rule's book does say Rebecca's office. I stated in my initial post I needed to research the office situation and I did. I came back to edit my post to add that Rebecca had an office. Hence the reason I used ETA (Edited To Add).

It would be an assumption the book on rope binding practices was RZ's. It has not been confirmed. Maybe it did belong to RZ, but we don't know. Nina Romano did not detail who the book belonged to in her Answer to the WDS. Just that the book was there. I would also like to know how Nina found out about this book? Was it in the copy she has of Rebecca's investigative file or is this more gossip?

Nope, Rule's quote does NOT confirm Adam was never in Rebecca's office. In fact the book doesn't confirm a dang thing. It can't be used in a court of law as reference material.

Please refrain from spinning my words. I would appreciate it, TIA :) Have a great day!

I was not spinning your words - - your Ann Rule quote put Adam in the courtyard, not in Rebecca's office. Nina's information would have come from the investigative files - which I'm sure her lawyers have. The exact wording is,

Defendant is further informed that the Sheriffs Department noted the presence of a book on rope binding

practices in the room which Rebecca Zahau used as an office, the same room from where she hung herself.

At least now we know how Rebecca knew to tie those slip knots.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
adr5879
Back