Evidence revealed during the course of the Wrongful Death action

Welcome to Websleuths!
Click to learn how to make a missing person's thread

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Lash... your point by point post was awesome!

These used car salesmen come in and try to convince with the twist
of the truth and coulda been's. But most people can see that that Hyundai is not a Lambo :)

Lash... your point by point post was awesome!

These used car salesmen come in and try to convince with the twist
of the truth and coulda been's. But most people can see that that Hyundai is not a Lambo :)
H.

Salesmen crap.LOL. wuat the hell, love always lol_? lololol

There are two new ROAs posted in the last two days.

Registrar of Actions #348 – Plaintiffs Opposition to Ex Parte Application of Defendant Adam Shacknai for Order Shortening Time for Motion for Early Disclosure of Expert Witness Materials

https://roa.sdcourt.ca.gov/roa/face...y_Exchange_of_Expert_Witnes_1461956978480.pdf

and #352 – Minute Order

https://roa.sdcourt.ca.gov/roa/face...A-352_04-28-16_Minute_Order_1461956980527.pdf

The minute order granted the Ex Parte.

I don't know if these links work and I can't seem to post a PDF for some reason. I think I need K_Z's help!

I will also repost on the appropriate thread once it opens back up.

Just checked in to check for any significant updates, and there doesn't appear to be any. Sure wish this whole case would hurry up and move along.

Just checked in to check for any significant updates, and there doesn't appear to be any. Sure wish this whole case would hurry up and move along.

I'm so with you on that one SweetT! Justice is keeping on top of anything that comes along on the legal front but I must confess, I'm not sure what the new info means.

Actually, there are updates. I've asked if mods would re-open the case thread so they can be posted.

Actually, there are updates. I've asked if mods would re-open the case thread so they can be posted.

K_Z, I posted the pleading updates above though I can't seem to get my saved PDFs to post.

Can anyone summarize what is in the documents? TIA

Yeah, it would be nice to hear an update. Anyone want to do a search?

Well, I gave it the old college try.

Found my way to the "Register of Actions" page for the case (never been there before), and there's an entry between #348 and #352 (the ones mentioned by justice, above). You folks may already be aware of this, but its #351 dated 4/28/16 and the entry reads "Discovery Hearing continued pursuant to party's motion to 07/15/2016 at 11:00AM before Judge Katherine Bacal." There's also a future event now showing for that date (7/15/2016).

I also did a Google search and found nothing new.

I confess I'm about to put on my tinfoil hat over how quiet the Zahau threads have become, coupled with the still-locked case thread ... :silenced:

Found my way to the "Register of Actions" page for the case (never been there before), and there's an entry between #348 and #352 (the ones mentioned by justice, above). You folks may already be aware of this, but its #351 dated 4/28/16 and the entry reads "Discovery Hearing continued pursuant to party's motion to 07/15/2016 at 11:00AM before Judge Katherine Bacal." There's also a future event now showing for that date (7/15/2016).

I confess I'm about to put on my tinfoil hat over how quiet the Zahau threads have become, coupled with the still-locked case thread ... :silenced:

Don't take it as a lack of interest. I, for one, would like to hear the latest and want to be kept informed. I wish the moderators would consider opening up the other thread.

I also think it's interesting that all of a sudden there is no one presenting irrational arguments or concocting wild stories. Wonder what made that stop. I suspect there's a story there somewhere.

Thanks for that update. It appears things are still moving along. This case is really dragging along though. I suppose that's what expensive legal representation does for you when you're the defendant.

I am sorry I've not been able to post the PDF for some reason. I have just clipped portions instead. Zahau attorneys argued to oppose Adam Shacknai's request for early disclosure of expert witness materials. The court sided with Adam so looks like they are going forward with early expert witness disclosures. ROA 348 is a quick summary of Zahau attorneys arguments against it.

ROA 348 - PLAINTIFFS OPPOSITION TO EX PARTE APPLICATION OF DEFENDANT ADAM SHACKNAI FOR ORDER SHORTENING TIME FOR MOTION FOR EARLY DISCLOSURE OF EXPERT WITNESS MATERIALS

Plaintiffs submit this Memorandum of Points and Authorities in Opposition to the Ex Parte Application of Defendant Adam Shacknai for an Order Shortening Time for Service of a Motion to Require Early Disclosure of Expert Witness Information in this action. Plaintiffs Oppose the Application on the grounds that Defendant has failed to show good cause as required in order to shorten time in that Defendant is unable to point to any specific prejudice beyond allegedly being forced "to continue litigating without any knowledge regarding the basis for the allegations." (Ex Parte at pp. 1, 4). In asserting this position, Defendant ignores the myriad discovery tools designed to elicit opposing parties' contentions, such as Interrogatories and Requests for Admissions, and instead asserts that this ex parte application is necessitated because Plaintiffs themselves, who were not present at the time of the decedent's death, do not have any personal knowledge of the facts and circumstances of the events leading to the death. Indeed this is, in substantial part, a circumstantial case and this court recognized this fact in its March 1 1, 2016 Order overruling demurrers at p. 4. (" Under these circumstances, plaintiffs have to rely on circumstantial evidence.").

However, merely because the Plaintiffs themselves do not have direct knowledge of the facts and circumstances of the death is no reason to simply skip over factual discovery and go straight to expert testimony, and certainly not on an ex parte basis. There is substantial need for factual discovery to substantiate material contained in the police investigative file and also to identify and develop further admissible evidentiary support for what will necessarily be something of a circumstantial case. Merely because "there is no party discovery that defendants can do to uncover the basis for the allegations,, (Ex Parte at p. 5) does not mean there is no discovery to be sought from non parties. Moreover, while to date the documentary evidence available to Plaintiffs has come primarily from the law enforcement investigative materials, this actually serves to highlight exactly why Plaintiffs need extensive third party discovery to secure such evidence in admissible form from admissible sources and also to pursue investigative leads that may not have been properly pursued by law enforcement.

Moreover, requiring early disclosure of expert materials would lead to experts being required to formulate their opinions on the basis of incomplete materials leading to prejudice to plaintiffs and severe litigation inefficiencies. "[T]he Legislature appears to have anticipated that experts would continue their preparations after the specified date [for exchange of expert information]." Boston v. Penny Lane Centers, Inc., 170 Cal. App. 4th 936, 952 (2009). The logical consequence of requiring such an exchange prematurely prior to substantial development of factual discovery is that expert opinions will continue to be supplemented and amended leading to multiple depositions of the same expert at substantial expense to the parties. Moreover, until factual discovery has proceeded to a more advanced stage, Plaintiffs are unable to know precisely what areas may require expert testimony. Thus, Plaintiffs would be prejudiced by requiring early disclosure - or by making an early decision on early disclosure.

This is the judge's ruling:

ROA 352 – Minute Order

Now being the time previously set for hearing Defendant Adam Shacknai's continued Ex Parte Application for an Order Advancing the Hearing Date of Defendant Adam Shacknai's Motion for Early
Designation of Experts, counsel appear as noted above and the hearing commences.

The Court hears argument.

The Ex Parte Application is granted.

Discovery Hearing is continued pursuant to party's motion to 07/15/2016 at 11:00AM before Judge Katherine Bacal.

The Court inquires regarding Third Party Motion to Quash Deposition scheduled on 11/04/2016.Attorney Matthews states that the matter may go off calendar as moot.

The Court directs counsel to let the Court know if it can be vacated.

Thanks Justice :) !

I tried to upload ROA 348 as a PDF with no luck also. Sorry I've been out of pocket for the past few weeks. I sent doc 348 to Bessie to add to the court doc thread. She will add it when she has time. She's been great helping us maintain that thread!

The Court inquires regarding Third Party Motion to Quash Deposition scheduled on 11/04/2016. Attorney Matthews states that the matter may go off calendar as moot.

This part of the ROA 352 minute order interests me most. The Third Party Motion to Quash Deposition scheduled on 11/04/2016 is for RZ's ex husband Neil. If I understand correctly, attorney Matthews is saying one of two things. Either they no longer plan to depose Neil or Neil is cooperating? I personally would guess the first. The question is, what about Neil's deposition has become moot?

This part of the ROA 352 minute order interests me most. The Third Party Motion to Quash Deposition scheduled on 11/04/2016 is for RZ's ex husband Neil. If I understand correctly, attorney Matthews is saying one of two things. Either they no longer plan to depose Neil or Neil is cooperating? I personally would guess the first. The question is, what about Neil's deposition has become moot?

Just guessing, but Neil wasn't there and hadn't had recent contact with RZ. Wasn't the request to depose him just another tactic from Dina? I can't imagine what he could contribute to the WDS.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Joe Cool wannabe
Back