GUILTY FL - Ahziya Osceola, 3, beaten to death, Hollywood, 19 March 2015 *stepmother arrested*

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
All the other adults living there need to be charged... There's no way they didn't all know that this child was being tortured. MOO

I watched the bond hearing too Carolina, thanks so much for the link.

Stepmom appeared via satellite. She is being held at the North Broward Bureau.

https://www.sheriff.org/about_bso/dodcc/jails/nbb.cfm

BBM - her visitation schedule lists the code 12MW, which that website states is the female infirmary.

When she appeared on camera for court this morning, she was wearing an anti-suicide smock.

An attorney represented her in court, but she made it clear to the judge that she has not been retained yet.

The judge read the charges, and her attorney said she had no comment on probable cause so the court found probable cause.

Her attorney argued lowering the monetary bond stating AO has no income, no money in the bank, and family/friends have been trying to gather funds to bond her out since last night, but can't come up with the money. The judge asked if she is a Seminole Indian, because the Seminoles often assist their members. Her attorney said no, her husband is.

The state attorney argued the monetary bond is appropriate and said AO is a flight risk. He also stated AO lied to her own mother and husband about what happened to Ahizya, but then admitted it to police. He argued something about it being cause for concern to lower her bond since she even lied to her own family.

Her attorney argued she is not a flight risk because she does not have a passport, her family lives here, and most importantly her other children are in protective custody so the department would be keeping daily tabs on her.

The judge asked her what she felt would be an appropriate bond. She stated the same as the co-defendant - $50,000.

The judge asked the state who the co-defendant is. The state said her husband, NO. The judge asked what his charges are and the bond amount. The state said child neglect and that he has already bonded out.

The judge asked the state attorney about the maximum sentence for count 1 (aggravated manslaughter). The state said it's a 1st degree felony and carries a maximum 30 year prison term.

The judge said the court notes the strength of probable cause and the maximum sentence. He said the $230,000 bond is appropriate. He said if AO bonds out, she cannot leave Broward county, cannot go near the airport, port, or onto any boat, will have a GPS monitoring device, she will be on lockdown house arrest, and she can have no contact with her husband, the co-defendant in this case.

BBM - I guess she really did do it all on her own. How did they sleep through that?!

They were all used to it?

I just read through the CPS reports upthread.

This is so awful, and confusing. What do you do, as an investigator when the main reporter of abuse is a mother who was extremely neglectful and hates the new wife? What do you do when you visit the home and the child is bouncy and friendly and the parents are welcoming and friendly and appear to be managing things well? The home appears to be a safe environment appropriate for a 2 year old? Obviously, this child was being horribly abused but CPS didn't have access to him when he had the broken leg and during his final horrific days of being battered. Bouncy, active children DO bust their lips getting into wagons and fall on their bottoms. The finger bruises on the side of the cheek seem like rough handling, but not enough to take custody in a case of an otherwise well cared for child.

What seems obvious in retrospect may not have been obvious at all to a caseworker who isn't seeing a frightened, injured child and is seeing normal interactions between the parents with the child. It's a horrible shame that others who KNEW what was going on didn't speak up with what they witnessed. Sad sad story.

The abrasions on his rectum chalked up to constipation. Ahizya said his mommy (referring to the accused) hurt his butt. Good grief, what in the H was that woman doing to this poor child? Was she sexually abusing him in addition to physically abusing him??

pg 13 of 27

Tour or the residence: The child sleeps in the room with the father, he has his own bed . . .

How exactly was daddy unaware that his child was in such bad shape the night that stepmommy "hid" his condition from the entire household?

Calling BS. Stepmom's mom lived in the home and was a nurse and failed to notice a spiral fracture of the tibia and an open wound such that the child would have been unable to walk and would have been in tremendous pain for days prior to his death? Again calling BS. Every single adult in that home needs to be charged. Every last one. But particularly nursie who is a mandated reporter. Right there in the home, seeing him daily and for hours at a time. SMH

pg 13 of 27

Tour or the residence: The child sleeps in the room with the father, he has his own bed . . .

How exactly was daddy unaware that his child was in such bad shape the night that stepmommy "hid" his condition from the entire household?

Calling BS. Stepmom's mom lived in the home and was a nurse and failed to notice a spiral fracture of the tibia and an open wound such that the child would have been unable to walk and would have been in tremendous pain for days prior to his death? Again calling BS. Every single adult in that home needs to be charged. Every last one. But particularly nursie who is a mandated reporter. Right there in the home, seeing him daily and for hours at a time. SMH

All spot on tlcya. As a mandated reported, I am required to take yearly training, and I take this seriously. To live in a home where a child is being so obviously and continuously abused and choose to ignore it is a huge issue.

She is licensed. This needs to be looked into. There must be repercussions. I believe she protected her daughter instead of the child.

:furious:

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

This article has been extensively updated as of March 27th, including direct links to arrest reports and court documents (see links below):

Ahziya Osceola Parents' Arrests: Drugs, Fraud, Car Chases | New Times Broward-Palm Beach

Both the biological mother and father of Ahziya Osceola (note: on reports, investigators have alternately spelled his name Ahziya and Ahizya) have extensive criminal records, according to a review of court filings and police reports. Those charges range all over the spectrum, from possession of cocaine and organized fraud to criminal mischief and beat downs at a Dunkin Donuts' drive-thru. For Ahziya's father – Nelson Osceola – the list now include a criminal charge related to the three-year-old's death.

(snip)
Unfortunately, from birth Ahziya was exposed to an environment where problems with police were the norm.

Link to full arrest report #1
NDO (Trespassing - 2011)

http://images.browardpalmbeach.com/media/pdf/arrestaffidavitosceola.pdf

(snip)

A run-in with Davie PD in March 2012 landed Nelson with seven criminal charges including aggravated fleeing/eluding at a high speed, suspended driver's license, expired tags, and failure to provide proof of insurance.

Link to full arrest report #2
http://images.browardpalmbeach.com/media/pdf/12-19183-03262015125044.pdf

(snip)
In January 2013, Nelson was arrested again by Davie PD after an incident in a Dunkin Donuts drive-thru. This time, Nelson's future wife Analiz Rodezno was behind the wheel of a green Chevy SUV struck in line at the chain's University Drive location. Frustrated with the drive-tru's slow pace, she began laying on the horn. The driver in front of her — JS (redacted) — rolled down his window and said he couldn't go anywhere because of the cars in front of him. From the report:

"It was at that point that a male, later identified as Nelson Osceola stepped out of the rear seat if the Green Chevy and approached JS (redacted). JS (redacted) remained inside his vehicle as Osceola began yelling at him through the drivers window. JS (redacted) attempted to diffuse by teliing Osceola 'lets just get our food and go our ways.' Osceola continued to yell and then proceeded to open the drivers side door of the Infinity. Osceola then reached in and struck JS (redacted) in the face with a closed fist."

He was later arrested and charged with battery and burglary conveyance assault. In court the latter charge was dropped and he pleaded guilty to the former, landing six months probation.

Link to full arrest report #3

http://images.browardpalmbeach.com/media/pdf/13-4056-03262015124459.pdf
Link to full arrest report #4

Link below details incident at hotel with KC
(****WARNING: language quoted WITHIN THE ARTICLE is NSFW****)

(snip)
Court records indicate she pleaded not guilty to the charges, which are reportedly still pending.

Link to full court documents #4 regarding 2013 eBay fraud case:
http://images.browardpalmbeach.com/media/pdf/karen_cypress_dob_07-26-88.pdf

MUCH_More@Link:
http://www.browardpalmbeach.com/new...sceolas-parents-prior-arrests-updated-6917229

:gaah:

Ahziya Osceola case reviewed by state, senate hearing - Sun Sentinel
By Linda Trischitta
March 27, 2015 6:20 PM

The Florida Department of Children and Families has sent a team of special investigators to South Florida, following the homicide of 3-year-old Ahziya Osceola, whose body was found in his Hollywood home.
[...]
In addition, a state senator plans to hold a hearing April 9 to review why the child fell through a safety net of multiple child welfare agencies.

"This kid was beaten to a pulp," said state Sen. Eleanor Sobel, D-Hollywood, who chairs the Senate's Children, Families and Elder Affairs committee. "It's just awful."

"I want to get information about why this child is dead, and prevent it from happening again," Sobel said. "[...] The safety net failed."

There were four calls to DCF's hotline about Ahziya, according to the department. Three reports described alleged injuries that prompted home visits, doctor exams, interviews with teachers and relatives, counseling and training for the parents. But physical abuse allegations were not substantiated, the department said, despite investigators' observations of bruises and scratches on his face and 40-pound body.
Investigators from the Broward Sheriff's Child Protection Investigation Section, who work on behalf of DCF, the medically-oriented Child Protection Team and Seminole Family Services had all looked into allegations of abuse, according to state reports.

DCF's new investigative team is made up of at least five professionals from outside of South Florida who are experts in child protection and welfare as well as in medicine, social work and law enforcement, said Michelle Glady, press secretary for DCF.

"They'll review every aspect of the fatality," she said.

They are to issue their report in 30 days; the Broward Sheriff's Office will also investigate, Glady said.

Embedded video & More@Link

http://www.sun-sentinel.com/local/b...ceola-dcf-florida-senate-20150327-story.html#

I'm glad they're looking into it.

But what do you do, if you have normal appearing people - stepgrandma included - who you believe wouldn't stand by while a child was beaten to death. I'll be really interested to see the out come of this investigation because you just can't predict every eventuality. You have to look at the clues, and create a picture of what's going on, and you don't expect Grandma the nurse to witness this and be okay with it.

I'm glad they're looking into it.

But what do you do, if you have normal appearing people - stepgrandma included - who you believe wouldn't stand by while a child was beaten to death. I'll be really interested to see the out come of this investigation because you just can't predict every eventuality. You have to look at the clues, and create a picture of what's going on, and you don't expect Grandma the nurse to witness this and be okay with it.

RBBM

Thank you so very much for your words, Jeanna T :heartluv:

I had nightmares about Little Ziya, and slept very little if at all. It's difficult to fathom the pain and torture, yet my subconscious is trying to paint a picture every time I try to sleep, and it's horrible.

The fact that so many appear to have turned a blind eye and deaf ears just amplifies what he went through, IMO. It makes these crimes all the worse. He deserved a life that was worth living. What he got was, in essence, almost a fate worse than death as long as he was breathing on this earth.

To have to be killed by those who are entrusted to protect you, and have them lie about their actions in doing so, angers me so deeply that I feel this rage towards them I can't even describe. Why hurt him if you don't want him? The system, or safety net, is clearly so broken, I can even say that he would have been saved based in the decision-making skills of the multiple "professionals" who documented the complaints in the reports that have been released! I want to believe that had he been removed and placed in foster care that he would be alive today, I really do. But we will never, ever know. :tears:

The abject and total failures of so many people to do what was right by Ziya literally breaks my heart. When I see images of his smile, I see a child who knew how to be happy, and just wanted to be loved. It shouldn't have ever been that hard to give him the loving life and home he so richly deserved.

Instead, he had to die to be at peace.

I will not rest until every single person who directly contributed to his death (which was murder IMO), are brought to justice. Nothing less is acceptable. The "professionals" should be held criminally responsible, step"grandma" included.

I hope LE continues on with a thorough investigation. No matter how long it takes, it will be worth the wait to see them prosecuted to the fullest extent of the law.

The lessons learned here will, hopefully, lead to systemic changes in Florida (and across the nation). A positive legacy in the wake of Little Ziya's loss could be the only silver lining, born from the darkest of clouds in recent memory.
:twocents:

#JusticeForAhziya

:rose:
:candle:

Given his brief life and the multiple contacts with CPS, I wish that more was done proactively by CPS to identify children who are "at risk" in unstable familial situations. Perhaps not so quick to close out cases and remain in the picture, monitoring a bit longer. In this case BOTH parents had brushes with the law, both had child abuse allegations made against them about this lil guy. Maybe a change needs to occur that keeps children such as Ahizya on the agency's radar a bit longer.

Once again DCF is being reactive, rather than proactive with this whole post-death "investigation." How many kids have to die before real changes occur to protect these children?

This is a just small sample of Florida investigators who not only failed to protect, but also falsified reports to make it appear they actually investigated:

Child welfare investigator Shani Smith broke the law when she concocted reports about a Kendall woman who later left her baby son to die in a sweltering car, authorities said.

[...]

Smith is not the first Florida child welfare employee to come under scrutiny for bogus reports in recent years.

Last year, police in Seminole County arrested Jonathan Irizarry, a case worker with the Children’s Home Society of Florida, for falsely claiming in reports that he had visited and examined a healthy child. The child had been tortured and beaten to death.

In Broward County, foster care caseworker Jabeth Moye reported that a 12-year-old named Tamiyah Audain was doing fine. Actually wasting away of starvation and neglect, the girl died in September 2013.

Last year, Moye was charged with child neglect. Moye worked for a foster care agency under the umbrella of Broward’s privately run child welfare agency, ChildNet, which has a contract with DCF.

Most infamously, Miami DCF case worker Deborah Muskelly was found to have lied in reports over a decade ago, saying she was visiting foster child Rilya Wilson. The child went missing for 15 months — presumed murdered by her caretaker, who is now in prison.

http://www.miamiherald.com/news/local/crime/article15264104.html
As I mentioned earlier in this thread, DCF has time after time failed the children of Florida. This is DCF's public reports search. http://www.dcf.state.fl.us/admin/ig/reports/Default.aspx Type "falsification" in the allegation field and 50 pages of reports will come up. FIFTY! Type in "mishandling of case" and you'll get almost 10 pages of reports.

Now, I'm not necessarily accusing investigators of falsifying the reports relating to Ahziya, but I absolutely am accusing them of not protecting him.

Any investigator who views a child covered in bruises yet dismisses abuse allegations as unsubstantiated is not doing their job. Any investigator who interviews a child's teachers who report constant bruises and injuries on the child and tell the investigator that the child admitted that daddy whips him with a belt yet dismisses abuse allegations as unsubstantiated is not doing their job. Any investigator who does a home visit and reports 4 adults and 3 children living in a three bedroom/two bathroom house as adequate living conditions is not doing their job, particularly when 2 of the 4 adults are convicted felons of violent crimes.

Stepmom and Dad are obviously the ones directly responsible for Ahziya's death, but IMO, DCF is responsible too. If the protective investigators had done their job properly, Ahziya would not have been subjected to the repeated beatings that eventually killed him. I am so sick and tired of reading about children who are killed by people who DCF had investigated, but simply closed the reports stating everything is wonderful. It is unacceptable, and has just got to stop.

Given his brief life and the multiple contacts with CPS, I wish that more was done proactively by CPS to identify children who are "at risk" in unstable familial situations. Perhaps not so quick to close out cases and remain in the picture, monitoring a bit longer. In this case BOTH parents had brushes with the law, both had child abuse allegations made against them about this lil guy. Maybe a change needs to occur that keeps children such as Ahizya on the agency's radar a bit longer.

BIB - Mom never had abuse allegations made against her regarding Ahziya, only neglect. Every abuse allegation was against Dad and someone living at Dad's residence (Stepmom).

Spiral fractures happen because of a twisting, jerking injury. They can happen when a toddler jumps if they have their leg extended, however are more common in abuse cases. Children's bones are softer and more "flexible" than an adults. Imagine the force needed to break his leg. That's disgraceful! Then to not get the little man treated? How sick do you have to be?

BIB - Mom never had abuse allegations made against her regarding Ahziya, only neglect. Every abuse allegation was against Dad and someone living at Dad's residence (Stepmom).

true, I was generalizing. I tend to consider neglect a passive abusive act.

Spiral fractures happen because of a twisting, jerking injury. They can happen when a toddler jumps if they have their leg extended, however are more common in abuse cases. Children's bones are softer and more "flexible" than an adults. Imagine the force needed to break his leg. That's disgraceful! Then to not get the little man treated? How sick do you have to be?

Imagine the force needed to transect his little pancreas into three pieces. That's sick and disgraceful too!

I can't help but envision Ahziya on the floor unable to walk and someone kicking the fatal blows to his abdomen. I'm thinking there isn't a murder charge because LE doesn't know who is exactly responsible for delivering the blunt force trauma. I suspect it was Stepmom since she's the one who tried to cover everything up once he died, but I realize the state will need to be able to prove beyond a reasonable doubt who it was in order to secure a conviction.

I hope someone in that house breaks and throws whoever it was under the bus. It's so infuriating that the murderer is being protected, but Ahziya was never protected. Ugh

true, I was generalizing. I tend to consider neglect a passive abusive act.

Absolutely agree with that.

I just wanted to clarify that she was never accused of physically abusing her child.

Hollywood toddler mourned at candlelight memorial - WSVN-TV - 7NEWS

HOLLYWOOD, Fla. (WSVN) -- Loved ones and well wishers gathered Thursday night to pay their respects and remember a 3-year-old boy outside of the home where he was found dead, one day after his father and stepmother were arrested and charged in his death.

About 200 people, including children, attended the prayer memorial, which started around 7 p.m. in front of Ahizya Osceola's home on the 5400 block of Johnson Street. The child's biological mother, Karen Cypress, grabbed an armful of her little boy's toys, pressing a teddy bear to her face as if to take in any lingering scent of him.

(snip)
"I just feel like everybody who lived there should be held accountable," said Cypress as she kept her arm around her boyfriend. "They should be held accountable for everything."

(snip)
Upon release, Nelson had this to say to the media: "Can't talk about it right now, man, get the f--- off my face." He was charged with child neglect in his son's death.

(snip)
The woman who organized Thursday's memorial lamented the way in which the boy left this world. "Nobody was here to hold his hand, tell him it was going to be better," said DM (redacted) as she held back tears. "You know he suffered and went through this all on his own. Nobody was there to help him."

Cypress, who had not seen her son since before Christmas, took hugs from sobbing strangers touched by Ahizya's pain. "It's humanity. That's the way it should be, so they're just showing their support," said C******, Cypress' cousin.

DM (redacted) read aloud from a note she had written as if she were speaking to Ahizya. "Tonight is our way of letting you know that we feel the pain that you suffered," she said.

As candles burned in the little boy's memory, his mother and the crowd released blue, star-shaped balloons and said goodbye to the toddler's painful past. "I hope he knows that we're all here now, and he doesn't have to suffer anymore," said DM (redacted).

Embedded video
http://www.wsvn.com/story/28628220/...rt=true&topVideoCatNo=default&clipId=11281893

More@Link
http://www.wsvn.com/story/28628220/...bilecgbypass&force_mobile_off=1&mview=desktop

#RIPAhizya

Just realised this happened in Adam Walsh's home town.

WSVN-TV (@wsvn) tweeted at 10:29pm - 26 Mar 15:

Hollywood toddler mourned at candlelight memorial.
More: bit.ly/1BPigLC
or mobile: bit.ly/1NgblU9 https://pic.twitter.com/F1eTpxJRXJ
(https://twitter.com/wsvn/status/581327201158606849?s=17)

Screengrabs from embedded video (must watch IMO, as it has footage of ARO's court appearance & NDO's expletive laced exit from :jail: :facepalm: :furious: )

New image of Little Ahizya :heartluv:
79c0e34f95861db43cfdf0db290f35a6.jpg

Balloon release at Candlelight Memorial:
d10020cd89f175dfae2eab3207d1e15e.jpg

:tears:

You are not forgotten, Precious Little One. You remain in our hearts, forever.

ETA: Still no word on the confirmed spelling of this child's first name. Again, I don't know why this bothers me so much. It happened on another case as well:

Police, sources, media misspelled Cherish Perrywinkle's name | Jacksonville.com
(snip)
Jacksonville Sheriff’s Office spokesman Officer Shannon Hartley had sent a news release spelling her name “Charish Perrywinkle.” He did not respond to an email Saturday asking why he spelled the name differently.
However, when a reporter asked Rayne Perrywinkle, through a victim’s advocate, to spell her daughter’s name, she said it was spelled “Cherish Perrywinkle.”
Court documents and arrest reports had also previously used “Cherish Periwinkle” and “Charish Lilly Perrywinkle.”
http://m.jacksonville.com/news/crim...isspelled-cherish-perrywinkles-name#gsc.tab=0

I recall being on social media, trying to raise awareness before Cherish was found, and the misspelling diluted the message. These things can make a difference (especially when you only have <140 characters to get the message out). It was frustrating at the time, and I was thankful when the linked article was written.

I hope something similar will occur in this case when all is said and done.

I feel it necessary to properly address and honor our victims. I will update the thread as soon as I receive a response from my requests for confirmation from a MSM source.

This Forever Angel deserves this, at least.

:twocents:
:(

Staff online

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members