GUILTY FL - Baby Girl Found Floating Near Boynton Beach, June 2018 - Baby June

Welcome to Websleuths!
Click to learn how to make a missing person's thread

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
I haven’t worked in a lab that test PKU cards specifically but I would imagine they don’t store them. I believe the test are done directly on those circles of blood droplets and then discarded. Most hospitals have internal labs where the cord blood is taken and tested for type. Those labs do not usually offer DNA testing and would have to send off all the samples to be tested. That would be a massive undertaking.

Could they possibly test her DNA and see if there are any hits on one of the genealogy sites?

Just an idea... I have no idea how the laws of privacy and DNA work in the US....

GOD BLESS BABY JUNE....

My thinking is that if there is still cord blood/cord etc in storage, that the lab would have to do internal testing on what they've got and that a warrant would only cover handing over any strong matches. I would theorize that as long as only the strong match info is released to LE (via warrant) and everything else stays within the lab that it might not violate HIPAA. And if there are records for blood typing then they wouldn't even have to do extra lab work, you'd just need an authorized worker to look for a match in their hospital and have a warrant covering the release for a strong match.

I hope something like this can be done legally. In the article I linked to earlier it did say that LE are trying to coordinate with all the hospitals and clinics already, so surely they must have a way to get pertinent information released to them without violating HIPAA.

I just have to hope in my own mind that for such a young baby that there has to be a higher chance of ID compared to an older child like Madison Doe or the little boy who washed up at Galveston and still doesn't have an ID.

I hope you are right. Madison and Jacob have me in tears.

We all say that we would have taken a child in, but the truth is that in most states, there are children remaining in dangerous situations because there aren't any foster homes available for them to go to. It's a difficult and heartbreaking job that I can't imagine myself doing well, but then I think, wouldn't almost anything be better than being thrown away in a heartless ocean?
My ex and i adopted our daughter and fostered two other little girls. We have done emergency foster placements and there’s are a lot of families that would have provided a safe home for these tiny little ones.
I pray that this is a young mother whose baby passed naturally and Shenzhen panicked. After Lucas and Harlee I just don’t know how much more my heart can take :-(
@liltexans is totally correct! I wish that the hospitals would discuss the safe haven laws with every parent before discharging them so that ALL are aware that they can turn over the care of their infant to safe haven. Ignorance is incredibly unfortunate in cases like these and sometimes it’s deadly.

We all say that we would have taken a child in, but the truth is that in most states, there are children remaining in dangerous situations because there aren't any foster homes available for them to go to. It's a difficult and heartbreaking job that I can't imagine myself doing well, but then I think, wouldn't almost anything be better than being thrown away in a heartless ocean?

I say this often. I’m always heartbroken and say something needs to change or be done and then I do nothing. I think people really really need to start stepping up and foster care is a huge one. I think almost anyone would take in a baby who’s parents just happened to knock on their door and say “here!, we don’t want our baby, will you take it”, but in reality that’s not the way it works. You have to be intentional about it and jump through some pretty good hoops. Social workers are so over worked and I’m sure they feel like they can’t win. You take too many kids and people complain they are stealing babies. You don’t take enough and kids die. I wonder how many of these kiddos could have been saved if the system wasn't so loaded down already and good foster homes were in abudunce.

I wish the reward money was to be paid upon confirmation and finding of the mother instead of for arrest. If someone has an idea who she might be, identifying her and finding out her version, getting her medical help, or mental health assistance if necessary, might be a better motivator to call the tip line.

Did they choose to use the word arrest in conjunction with the reward because they do already see signs of a violent death? It could also be shaken baby syndrome at that age, though it seems extremely early even for that kind of abuse to take off...but I guess you never know.

I've had babies recently and it took a couple of weeks usually to get the results back from the PKU labs. It took a lot of squeezing actually on my kids to get enough drops of blood from their heel to fill out the multiple circles on the papers. An actual vein draw does seem like it would be pretty unusual. If baby was big though it's more likely mom was gestational diabetic and baby might have had blood drawn ime.

But I do wonder just how many babies would really be born in the area even with millions? I live north of a large metropolitan area and there are still only so many babies born each day at the hospitals within a couple of hours of here.

So I googled. The hospital with the leading number of births nationwide looks like they average a whopping 74 babies a day. The hospital where the most babies are born in FL averages about 33 a day.

There is no chance that any hospital would ever permit testing of any patient’s sample without the explicit permission of that patient (or their legal agent) without a warrant. It would be a gross violation of a number of legal and ethical codes. They would need a warrant to obtain any patient information of any kind, whether names, ethnicities, blood types, or even date of birth.

There is no chance that any hospital would ever permit testing of any patient’s sample without the explicit permission of that patient (or their legal agent) without a warrant. It would be a gross violation of a number of legal and ethical codes. They would need a warrant to obtain any patient information of any kind, whether names, ethnicities, blood types, or even date of birth.

Could a warrant be drawn up to force a hospital to hand over matches of babies recorded as having a certain blood type born within a certain range of dates?

So many scenarios come to mind, but maybe the parents didn't do this. Someone could have harmed them and thrown the baby away. The Sheriff seems determined and driven to solve this, and I believe he will. She was a beautiful little girl.

Immagrant, baby possible born in Bahamas. And then brought over by boat. Died in crossing.

<Mod Note: Please make it clear this is your opinion (IMO, JMO, MOO) and NOT a statement of fact as it appears>

Last edited by a moderator:
Immagrant, baby possible born in Bahamas. And then brought over by boat. Died in crossing.

LE said they believe she came from the area of Broward County, Florida:
It’s “very likely” the infant authorities now are calling “Baby June” floated up from Broward County before she was found dead near the Boynton Inlet on the first day of June, investigators said Thursday.
“We now believe it’s possible the child might have drifted up from as far as Broward County,” Capt. Steven Strivelli said at an afternoon news briefing. Later, pressed by reporters, he changed that to “probable,” and later, “very likely.”
PBSO says Boynton Inlet baby likely drifted north from Broward

Would LE be able to do something like that legally? I'm not well versed in the law, but I thought HIPAA privacy law would mean the hospital and labs would not be allowed to give that type of info out unless the police get a warrant. Are there any health care professionals or legal experts here that are able to share how it works in a case like this? Can a judge issue a warrant demanding search of ALL the records for babies born in a certain time frame?

In my state, the births are registered and an application for a social security number made in the hospital. Birth records are public info, so they should be able to get this info from the office of vital statistics and/or social security administration. They could at least get a start without having to have any warrant.

Still nothing about this sweet baby’s name? Or where she came from? As far as comparing her weight to babies born the same time frame, that’d be difficult because babies lose and gain within those first few days and weeks after birth. So by the time she was found dead, her weight wouldn’t be close to what it was at birth. We don’t know how well she was fed before she died (she looks like she was fed fairly well though), so that would be tough. I just pray that they find her name soon. And punish whoever let this happen to her angel face.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Biph
Back