GUILTY FL - Dan Markel, 41, FSU law professor, Tallahassee, 18 July 2014 - #2 *Arrests*

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
http://www.tallahassee.com/story/news/2016/06/07/adelson-speaks-markels-death-podcast/85575308/

She mentioned her fondness for her mother, who was*helping her take care of the couple's two young boys. She described her mother as "selfless, generous, loving and beautiful."

“I write letters to her in my head every day, ones of immense gratitude for facilitating my return from the bottom," she said.

here's hoping the mom isn't involved in the murder-for-hire scheme or else WA is going to have to come up with some other descriptives regarding her mother. If she is involved, I guess the word "facilitating" is appropriate however.

I particularly enjoyed the part about her being on Obama Care. Any wealthy family owning over a million dollars worth of luxury vehicles would be hard pressed to afford private health insurance. :facepalm:

That was my first thought too!

But didn't both phones show activity prior to 10am at the fitness center? This would lead me to believe that they both had been in the vehicle at that time.
I believe they were seen casing the rear of the house, and it would only take a minute to cut through. Maybe one of the perps was dropped off quickly and then met up at the house. They knew Dan was going home.JMO

http://www.tallahassee.com/story/news/2016/06/07/adelson-speaks-markels-death-podcast/85575308/

She mentioned her fondness for her mother, who was*helping her take care of the couple's two young boys. She described her mother as "selfless, generous, loving and beautiful."

“I write letters to her in my head every day, ones of immense gratitude for facilitating my return from the bottom," she said.

here's hoping the mom isn't involved in the murder-for-hire scheme or else WA is going to have to come up with some other descriptives regarding her mother. If she is involved, I guess the word "facilitating" is appropriate however.

"Return from the bottom?" My, my, my, we do feel entitled, don't we???

Hold on, things are probably going to get tougher...

IMHO

In Florida, first degree murder charges can only be brought by a grand jury.

Sent from my SM-N920V using Tapatalk
OK, but he's been extradited so was he charged with 2nd degree? I thought the grand jury decides before charges are brought, not after. I'm confuzzled.

Formal charges have not yet been filed by the state.

FL Criminal Procedure Rule:
https://floridacriminalprocedure.com/3-134-time-for-filing-formal-charges/

FLORIDA CRIMINAL PROCEDURE

Rule 3.134. Time for Filing Formal Charges
The state shall file formal charges on defendants in custody by information, or indictment, or in the case of alleged misdemeanors by whatever documents constitute a formal charge, within 30 days from the date on which the defendants are arrested or from the date of the service of capiases upon them. If the defendants remain uncharged, the court on the 30th day and with notice to the state shall:
(1) Order that the defendants automatically be released on their own recognizance on the 33rd day unless the state files formal charges by that date; or
(2) If good cause is shown by the state, order that the defendants automatically be released on their own recognizance on the 40th day unless the state files formal charges by that date.
In no event shall any defendants remain in custody beyond 40 days unless they have been formally charged with a crime.

OK, but he's been extradited so was he charged with 2nd degree? I thought the grand jury decides before charges are brought, not after. I'm confuzzled.
Mmm... I don't think transferring within a state counts as extradition, but yes, he was probably charged with 2nd. In Florida, Grand juries can meet before charges are brought or after. But only grand juries can issue a first degree murder indictment.

http://abovethelaw.com/2016/06/the-murder-of-dan-markel-wendi-adelson-speaks-part-2/

Jun 8, 2016 at 6:50 PM

We don’t have too much new to report, at least in terms of hard news, in the investigation of the murder of law professor Dan Markel. The latest news, via How Appealing, is that the case of Sigfredo Garcia, one of the men charged with murdering Professor Markel, will go to a grand jury soon.

I am far from a member of “Team Wendi” — in my opinion, she acted abominably in the divorce (more on that later) — but as I’ve written before, I don’t think she was involved in Dan’s murder or had advance knowledge of it (although it’s possible she at some point in the past two years acquired such knowledge). As I previously wrote, “if Wendi knew about or was involved in Dan’s murder and then wrote about it for a class and spoke about it on a podcast, she would have to be stupid, insane, or both. Much as I loved Gone Girl (affiliate link), it’s a book and a movie, not real life.”

A reader wrote in with this quibble:

I enjoyed reading your Wendi Adelson piece, and I appreciate the Gone Girl references. But the closer analogue might be Fatal Attraction [UPDATE (8:40 p.m.): Basic Instinct (different femme fatale film)], where Sharon Stone’s character writes a novel about a murder and then someone she is in a relationship with is killed in the same way.

John Correli: Did you kill Mr Boz, Miss Tramell?

Catherine: I’d have to be pretty stupid to write a book about killing and then kill him the way I described in my book. I’d be announcing myself as the killer. I’m not stupid.

Duly noted; I agree with this reader.

Now, on to the revised version of Wendi’s story (which I believe is quite strong as a piece of writing, significantly improved over the earlier draft). I have again broken it up into chunks for purposes of commenting.

Mmm... I don't think transferring within a state counts as extradition, but yes, he was probably charged with 2nd. In Florida, Grand juries can meet before charges are brought or after. But only grand juries can issue a first degree murder indictment.

"Sigfredo Garcia was arrested on May 25; charged with murder in the first degree and possession of cocaine, according to the Broward County Sheriff's Office."
‎
"On Friday, the courts declined to take a case for Garcia's accused possession of cocaine at the time his murder arrest. This is expected to speed up the extradition process which Garcia's attorney says will take place in the next few days."

So I guess you can charge someone with murder 1 before the grand jury decides to indict, which makes sense, but in this case I would have thought they would have had a secret grand jury already review.

http://www.wtxl.com/news/suspect-in...5e-11e6-bcff-7f5c714d023f.html‎*‎

I believe they were seen casing the rear of the house, and it would only take a minute to cut through. Maybe one of the perps was dropped off quickly and then met up at the house. They knew Dan was going home.JMO
I believe they were seen a month before the murder checking out the back of the house. One's pants were wet from falling into the ravine.

Sent from my SM-G386T using Tapatalk

I imagine there are several people under 24/7 surveillance, with LE prepared to make somewhat early arrests if anyone makes a run for it.

What to you think the motion to seal probable cause on 6/3 was about?

https://cvweb.clerk.leon.fl.us/publ...ine_searches/search_courts/search_by_name.asp
Re: 6/3/2016 MOTION TO: MOTION TO SEAL PROBABLE CAUSE AFFIDAVIT

It appears there was a delay in filing this motion. The motion is dated and signed May 26, but was not filed at the court until June 3. This delay seems to be a source of contention between Tallahassee Police Department and Prosecutor Willie Meggs.

At this link, http://www.tallahassee.com/story/ne...rned-other-markel-suspects-may-flee/85348108/ in the middle section of the news article, is a 2-page court document titled MOTION TO SEAL PROBABLE CAUSE AFFIDAVIT.
The document is dated May 26, 2016.
The document is stamped FILED 2016 JUN -3 AM 8:55

http://www.tallahassee.com/story/ne...rned-other-markel-suspects-may-flee/85348108/

In her motion, Flury asserted TPD did not have an opportunity to discuss sealing the record with the State Attorney’s Office ahead of time. She said, “it is not anticipated they will have an objection.”

However, State Attorney Willie Meggs disputed Flury's version of events. He said his office would have neither objected to the motion being filed nor to a judge signing it, but to imply there wasn’t an opportunity for police to talk prosecutors about the matter is untrue.

"We are here and are in touch and have been in touch with them 24 hours a day and seven days a week," Meggs said. "It would be more accurate to say TPD did not take the opportunity to talk with us."

The concern over unsealing the document revealed friction between the two law enforcement agencies. DeLeo said he had no idea the seal was going to be lifted Thursday.

"Sigfredo Garcia was arrested on May 25; charged with murder in the first degree and possession of cocaine, according to the Broward County Sheriff's Office."
‎
"On Friday, the courts declined to take a case for Garcia's accused possession of cocaine at the time his murder arrest. This is expected to speed up the extradition process which Garcia's attorney says will take place in the next few days."

So I guess you can charge someone with murder 1 before the grand jury decides to indict, which makes sense, but in this case I would have thought they would have had a secret grand jury already review.

http://www.wtxl.com/news/suspect-in...5e-11e6-bcff-7f5c714d023f.html‎*‎

The Florida law requiring a grand jury indictment for first degree was a huge topic in the Seivers case, so much so that it got its own thread:

http://www.websleuths.com/forums/showthread.php?t=290122

Lots of relevant info there.

Also, iirc, baby Chance's parents were initially arrested under 1st degree murder charges, but they were changed to 2nd degree. I presume they decided not to put it before a grand jury.

I believe they were seen a month before the murder checking out the back of the house. One's pants were wet from falling into the ravine.

Actually, the probably cause affidavit (page 3) says that men matching the description of Garcia and Rivera were spotted at the apartment and the ditch behind DM's house "around mid-morning on one of the days of the week immediately before the July 18, 2014 homicide." Since they apparently arrived in Tallahassee about 1am July 17, and the murder occurred about 11 am July 18, this "casing" of DM's house must have taken place mid-morning on July 17.

So, Garcia and Rivera are spotted at an apartment complex that leads to the back of Markel's house. "When the two men returned to the car about 10 minutes later the passenger was carrying an unknown black object in one hand."

I wonder what that was all about...

I couldn't find CA's FB but I did find his current love interest.
It appears their relationship began some time in 2015 to this Memorial Day. Not much listed after that. I don't think I can give the link here but just let me say, this is more what I had in mind for CA. (and she is Thai but no affiliations with KM or anyone else in this continuing saga that I could find.)

<mod snip>

Is it possible that he is the black sheep of the family, complete with personality disorder that they have kept hidden, for which they are now sorry since his latest escapade implicates them all? Maybe he was adopted?

Or whatever happened to "looking for a girl like Mom"?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member