GUILTY FL - Dan Markel, 41, FSU Law Professor, Tallahassee, 18 July 2014 *arrests* #10

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
Re: Court Cam Presents Under Oath - I wish that the Producers/Dan Abrams would have asked KM's nauseatingly sanctimonious and vociferous attorneys one simple and obvious question - WHO IS PAYING YOU?
This subject has come up many times - in terms of who was paying the Atty fees. Kawass and de Costa were called into chambers and persuaded the judge AT That Time the Adelsons were not paying the fees. A little while before one of Magbanua's rellos, a sister in law, was busted on a million dollar embezzlement case. She'd been doing it for years , not as a response to young Katie's legal fees. There is no doubt in my mind some of the money embezzled from the accnting firm could have ended up in Kawass's pocket but it is very hard to prove it.. Essentially the Judge wanted assurance money was not coming from the Adelsons and hence influencing KM's testimony - whether it came from Chez - Magbanua or the man on the moon - he cared not at all. KM of course has now declared indigency and is a ward of the state in terms of legal fees.... ya can't help bad luck. :)) KG

This episode is reminding me how much I disliked Wendi and her testimony. Even when asked if she had a limited use immunity agreement she smiles and laughs “the State isn’t going to arrest me”….
I still can’t believe they had to give her that in order to get evidence against KM and Garcia. I just couldn’t believe that - that someone who likely had a bigger role in all of this - was likely going to get away without facing any shred of responsibility and accountability (referring to Wendi, not KM if that’s not clear already)

I guess sometimes the justice system is not just. Sigh.

The Limited Use immunity is utterly useless on the ' spekct of "did you k know about Dan Markel's movements " if Amy Adler testifies to the contrary.

[Amy was DM's NYJ new squeeze from NY university - still there in fact ].

Them's the rules.. if the state can discover evidence from an independent source then the use immunity for that particular piece of evidence disappears. It's in FL law - I know about this stuff. Of course whether AA will testify or not is well... quiet something else. The fact she won't testify against KM does not mean she won't au futur testify against WJ Adelson.

them's just me simple thorghts as I sit on Billy Carter's whisky berrel in fro' General store and Jimmy"s Peanut fields. Missy Cappelman is surely more red up in dem Law Books then I will ever bee.

Kidon Gadol

@PayrollNerd - was wondering if you have access to Leon County? I can't access it & just wanted to check & see if Magbanua still has a case management hearing on 7/8? And notes that there will be hearings in Aug., Sept, & Oct. I have 10/4 as jury selection & trial to start 10/15/21. The person I usually ask has not been around for quite some time...

Leon County Case
#2016CF3036/Murder,
#2018 CF 000497 A001/Conspiracy &
#2018 CF 000497 A002/Solicitation

TIA! :)

July 11 2021
''This week marks the 7th Yahrzeit, or anniversary, of Dan Markel’s death on the Jewish calendar.

In observation of this, the Markel family shares: “Seven is an important, meaningful number in our Jewish faith. Each seventh day of the week is set aside for rest and reverence; and each seventh year marks the beginning of a new cycle of restoration and freedom. We pray that in the timeline of our grief for Danny, this seventh year brings renewed energy and progress - both in honoring his life and seeking accountability for all of those who are responsible for taking it.”

Please join us in reflecting on Dan’s life, his accomplishments, what his life would look like now, and how he would have grown as a father. May his memory always be a blessing.''

Last edited:
It appears you cannot access this from outside FL state. There are other counties in FL with similar databases and you get an Autogen message from them about IP address out of USA or out of state after a few seconds. I just think there is lousy systems progamming in the Leon county case so it fails and you get no message.

I put in a request on behalf o' US users to the sysadmin to get this fixed a few weeks back and it is all one big snoozeroo....

Kidon

@PayrollNerd - was wondering if you have access to Leon County? I can't access it & just wanted to check & see if Magbanua still has a case management hearing on 7/8? And notes that there will be hearings in Aug., Sept, & Oct. I have 10/4 as jury selection & trial to start 10/15/21. The person I usually ask has not been around for quite some time...

Leon County Case
#2016CF3036/Murder,

Leon County Case
#2016CF3036/Murder,

JURY NON JURY TRIAL 10/4/2021 9:00 AM WHEELER
CASE MANAGEMENT 7/8/2021 9:00 AM WHEELER

Leon County Case
#2016CF3036/Murder,

Not sure if you can access this or not.
https://cvweb.leonclerk.com/public/...785598&jiscaseid=1129969&defseq=A&chargeseq=1

Nothing there other than those 2 dates.

Thank you for checking!
animated-smileys-waving-003.gif

Hi Niner, I noticed your query. I'm still not following many cases, but I am currently on WS for the Surfside condo collapse. :(
For Magbanua, there are AUG and SEP hearing dates but they are not listed in the Event section. They are listed in a document that is in the Docket section. I have included an image of the document below.
https://cvweb.leonclerk.com/public/online_services/search_courts/search_by_name.asp

37 2016 CF 003036 A - STATE OF FLORIDA vs MAGBANUA, KATHERINE D
Event Date Start Location Judge Result Source
JURY NON JURY TRIAL 10/4/2021 9:00 AM WHEELER JIS
CASE MANAGEMENT 7/8/2021 9:00 AM WHEELER

Docket Date CCISSeqNbr Docket Code ECertify Docket Text
6/25/2021 439 ORDR ‹‹-Req $ ORDER ORDER SETTING COURT PROCEEDINGS DATES AND PROCEDURES

upload_2021-7-5_17-59-1.png

Anyone know what the words JURY NON JURY TRIAL mean ?

is that JURY : .... etc or something else ?? . Colons matter.

Is she being charged with Murder 1 but with no state intent to seek the death penalty ? That latter is my understanding from the wash up from the first trial but I have never seen it in writing from the State .

KG.

Anyone know what the words JURY NON JURY TRIAL mean ?

is that JURY : .... etc or something else ?? . Colons matter.

Is she being charged with Murder 1 but with no state intent to seek the death penalty ? That latter is my understanding from the wash up from the first trial but I have never seen it in writing from the State .

KG.
It will be a jury trial. I'm not sure why it's written like that but I did see that information in the records.

Oh @SeesSeas !! Nice to see you back - and THANK YOU so much for that info! So I guess I can't ask you about "other" cases, eh?

This subject has come up many times - in terms of who was paying the Atty fees. Kawass and de Costa were called into chambers and persuaded the judge AT That Time the Adelsons were not paying the fees.

This is incorrect. The judge denied the prosecution's motion for an inquiry into who was paying the fees.
It's all on the court screen.
Lots of other misconceptions posted as facts recently so please be wary if you're following the case here.

This is incorrect. The judge denied the prosecution's motion for an inquiry into who was paying the fees.
It's all on the court screen.
Lots of other misconceptions posted as facts recently so please be wary if you're following the case here.

you are wrong. Kawass and de Costa met Justice Hankinson in chambers and persuaded him that there was no money coming from the Adelsons AT THAT TIME (months into the trial). There was an enquiry - it was just that it was not formalised - just a tete at tete over coffee and scones I guess .

Hankinson or AN OTHER must have persuaded Cappelman about that time it was above board, because she quietened down on the issue.

There is more background here -

"
Cappleman said the money trail leads to co-conspirators in the case. But in a Friday court filing, Magbanua’s attorneys Tara Kawass and Christopher DeCoste say prosecutors are doing so on the basis of “conjecture rather than proof.” They want Leon Circuit Court Judge James Hankinson to deny the request.

A case management conference is scheduled for May 1.
"
URL -
The Dan Markel Case: Lingering Questions Over Who’s Paying Katherine Magbanua’s Legal Fees

no flies on me - Kidon Gadol.

" URL - [URL='https://abovethelaw.com/2017/03/the-dan-markel-case-lingering-questions-over-whos-paying-katherine-magbanuas-legal-fees/' said:
The Dan Markel Case: Lingering Questions Over Who’s Paying Katherine Magbanua’s Legal Fees[/URL]

no flies on me - Kidon Gadol.

there was a fly !!! it is deCoste not deCosta as I had it . He must remind me of the Cosa Nostra I guess.. hence the confusion.

Thursday, July 8th:
*Case Management Hearing (via Zoom) (@ 1:30pm ET) - FL – Daniel Eric Markel (41) (July 18, 2014, Tallahassee) - for *Katherine Magbanua (32/now 36) (Garcia's wife) arrested (Oct. 2016) & charged with first-degree murder & 1 count conspiracy & 1 count solicitation of murder were brought together into one case on Tuesday (3/20/18). Plead not guilty. Held without bond.
Murder for Hire hit man. They split a $100K payoff for murder KM has rejected several offers of immunity for her testimony.
First trial started on 9/23/19. Jury: 10 women & 2 men & 1 alternate (woman); was 2 alternates one (man) got sick & excused on 10/3/19. Jury Deliberations on 10/10/19: 4.5 hours. 10/11: 6.5 hours for guilty verdict on Garcia. Mistrial declared for Magbanua. (10-2 for guilty). Total 11 hours. Will remain in jail as a charged co-conspirator, and the State will try her case again.
Re-Trial was set to begin 4/13/20 has been continued to 10/15/21. Jury selection begins on 10/4/21 @ 9am (runs thru week of 10/11).

Court info & trial from 9/23/19 thru 12/7/20 reference post #538 here:
MISTRIAL - FL - Dan Markel, 41, FSU Law Professor, Tallahassee, 18 July 2014 - #10 *arrests*

3/4/21 Update: Circuit Judge Robert Wheeler said in a hearing Thursday that he wants to set a tentative trial date. He proposed a two-week trial in July, but the defense requested a trial after Labor Day due to health concerns. Chris DeCoste told the judge he & fellow defense attorney Tara Kawass are both cancer survivors & are concerned about traveling & visiting Magbanua at the jail. The two are based in Miami. DeCoste told the judge they will also need time to review a newly enhanced video of a meeting at the Dolce Vita Restaurant, as well as review new financial & phone records in the case. Judge Wheeler is planning to check his calendar & is aiming for a trial date in September or October. He set another case management hearing for 5/6/21 in hopes of setting a realistic date then.
5/6/21 Update: Next case management hearing on 7/8/21. Then case management hearings in August & Sept. A pretrial in October. Jury selection will begin on 10/4 at 9am running thru the week of Oct. 11. Trial to begin on 10/15/21. 7/6/21 Update: Case management hearing on 8/25/21 @ 1:30pm. Hearing will be held at courthouse, with attorneys & parties present in courtroom, no Zoom. All pretrial motions must be filed on or before 9/17/21. If necessary, court will set motion hearings to take place on or before 9/30/21. Pretrial hearing on 9/30/21 @ 1:30pm. Hearing will be held at the courthouse with all attorneys & parties present in courtroom, no Zoom.
Accomplices:
*Sigfredo Garcia (34) – 10/10/19: found guilty of 1st degree murder. Guilty of conspiracy. Not guilty of solicitation. Sentenced to LWOP for murder plus 30 years for conspiracy charge. 11/4/19: Motion to Withdraw as Counsel: Mauricio Padilla; Motion to Withdraw as Counsel: Saam Zangeneh
*Luis Rivera (33) charged with 1st degree murder. Took a plea deal (Oct. 2016) & plead guilty to 2nd degree murder. Will testify against Garcia & Magbanua. Will receive 19-year sentence to run concurrently with his 12 year Federal time, which he is already serving.

POIs: Wendi Adelson (ex-wife of Markel), her bro Charlie, mom Donna Sue Adelson (68) & father Harvey Adelson. Investigators have not charged anyone in the Adelson family in connection with Markel’s death, but say Adelson’s mother and brother – Donna and Charlie Adelson – paid $100,000 to have Markel killed following the couple’s contentious divorce so their two young sons could move to South Florida.

Oh @SeesSeas !! Nice to see you back - and THANK YOU so much for that info! So I guess I can't ask you about "other" cases, eh?
Please don't plan on me for any case look-ups. ;)

Because Magbanua had a hearing today 7/8, I decided to look at the online court website.
The AUG and SEP hearing dates are now included in the EVENTS section:
https://cvweb.leonclerk.com/public/online_services/search_courts/search_by_name.asp
Event Date Start Location Judge Result Source
JURY NON JURY TRIAL 10/4/2021 9:00 AM WHEELER JIS
PRETRIAL HEARING 9/30/2021 1:30 PM WHEELER JIS
CASE MANAGEMENT 8/25/2021 1:30 PM WHEELER JIS

Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors