FL - Former President Donald Trump indicted, 40 counts to classified documents and obstruction of justice, June 2023, Trial May 2024

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.

Designers (and one epidemiologist) weigh in on the peculiar light fixture from the Trump indictment photos​

Despite the implications of this indictment for national security, the 2024 presidential race and American democracy, it was the chandelier (and the smaller, adjacent crystal sconce) that generated significant reaction from the public in the following days. Its silent witness to the (alleged) crimes unfolding below offered a different sort of indictment — of wealth and the things to which we, the middle-class masses who grew up with one or two chandelier-free bathrooms, were taught to aspire. And it raised questions, both of design and hygiene. Chief among them:Are toilet chandeliers even a thing?

I asked Aaron Wendelboe, professor of epidemiology at the University of Oklahoma Health Sciences Center in Oklahoma City, about the implications of having unexpected items in a bathroom, whether they be a large crystal chandelier or stacks of papers containing proof of alien life, and he didn’t immediately hang up on me, which was nice…

The chandelier hanging in Trump’s toilet was his dynasty in a microcosm: something opulent and gaudy, a caricature of wealth that screamed for our attention, while hoping we would not notice any potentially dirty deeds happening below.

Last edited:
“How about blame him? He did it. … He took documents he wasn’t supposed to take. He kept them when he asked them back for them? They got a grand jury subpoena. He refused to comply. They raided his home finally because he refused to comply. … All those things were brought on himself, as was this indictment,” Christie said at the event hosted by CNN’s Anderson Cooper.

“Everyone’s blaming the prosecutors. He did it. It’s his conduct,” Christie added.

Cooper also asked the former governor why some Republicans appear hesitant to discuss the content of the indictment, leaning instead on weaponization arguments.

“Because it’s indefensible and they’re playing games,” Christie said.

“How about blame him? He did it. … He took documents he wasn’t supposed to take. He kept them when he asked them back for them? They got a grand jury subpoena. He refused to comply. They raided his home finally because he refused to comply. … All those things were brought on himself, as was this indictment,” Christie said at the event hosted by CNN’s Anderson Cooper.

“Everyone’s blaming the prosecutors. He did it. It’s his conduct,” Christie added.

Cooper also asked the former governor why some Republicans appear hesitant to discuss the content of the indictment, leaning instead on weaponization arguments.

This was really a good town hall with Anderson Cooper. I think that the only reason Christie is running, is to be able to be able to dump on tRump. Good or bad, it is to the public's advantage, because other candidates will desparately need to try to get some of those far-right voters.

One of the best things I heard in the Christie event, was the discussion of "how much more data" the prosecution has. Christie says he is assuming that we have heard less than a third of what they have.

I hate to "hope" for documents having ended up in bad hands.... but it would be so much more than a smoking gun. As scary as the thought is, it would be the clincher.

Never thought I'd agree with Chris Christie. I'm sure DT's response is gonna be to call him a RINO or body shame him.

court order on arraignment regarding press request (Magistrate Goodman)-

in part:
Moreover, allowing photographs would undermine the massive security arrangements put in place.

Shifting focus to the second request, the Undersigned is similarly not convinced that immediate disclosure of the audio is warranted. Tomorrow’s proceedings will be public. News media representatives and ordinary citizens will be permitted to attend the hearing in person on a first-come, first-serve basis. Moreover, because the Undersigned anticipates that there will not be enough in-court seats to accommodate everyone who would like to be present in the courtroom, the Undersigned has arranged, with the help of the Clerk of the Court, to have a live video feed broadcast into a spillover room. Therefore, those wishing to see and hear the proceedings unfold live will have the opportunity to do that.

Based on these reasons, the Undersigned denies, but without prejudice, the motion. As noted, my jurisdiction covers only tomorrow’s hearing, not the remainder of the case. Therefore, the Press Coalition may refile its motion with Judge Cannon for rulings on similar requests concerning future hearings.

Attachments

• Order on press.pdf
    187 KB · Views: 2
Many kudos to Guardian reporter David Smith, who's been covering Trump and his various activities, for a long time. I'd happily stand Mr. Smith a pint any time.

Many kudos to Guardian reporter David Smith, who's been covering Trump and his various activities, for a long time. I'd happily stand Mr. Smith a pint any time.

From the article:
“Donald Trump is scared stiff about serving prison time – he knows he won’t survive,” said Allan Lichtman, a history professor at American University in Washington.

“Trump is used to evading accountability in the court of public opinion but everything changes when you go into a courtroom. I’ve been an expert witness in more than a hundred cases. You’re not in control. The court, the jury is in control. You can’t make baseless charges. Anything you say is subject to the penalty of perjury or to being dismissed.

“Plus, who’s going to defend Donald Trump? Who are they going to put on the stand? You have to have witnesses. You have to have documents. You have to have evidence. You can’t just say things in a court of law. I don’t know what their evidence might be and who their witnesses might be. And I can’t imagine any competent attorney letting Trump testify.”

A bit of classic satire from WaPo’s Alexandra Petri…

“If the president in power can just jail his political opponents, which is what Joe Biden is trying to do tonight, we don’t have a republic anymore. We don’t have the rule of law. We don’t have the Constitution.” — Sen. Josh Hawley (R-Mo.)

Nothing like a federal grand jury issuing an indictment to suggest that we no longer have a justice system!

If Donald Trump tosses a ball into the air and instead of ascending upwards and upwards forever, it falls to the floor, we don’t have gravity anymore.
<snip>
If Donald Trump checks out a book and gets charged an overdue fine when he doesn’t return it, we don’t have a library system anymore.
<snip>
If Donald Trump does not get a majority of votes or an electoral college majority and does not get to be president when that happens, we don’t have a republic anymore!

If the rules apply to Donald Trump, we don’t have rules anymore!

This order by the judge hits a nerve with me. If anyone is entitled to see and hear the details of this case, it's the American people who DT has put in danger by allowing classified documents into the hands of who knows who?
Me too, but this release from the judge seems normal to me.

I was pretty certain that it has always been the way that cameras and electronic devices were not allowed in Federal courtrooms; some of the reactions on here have me doubting myself though.

Any legal experts around that can actually answer this? NORMAL ruling ... or not?

City officials have prepared for protests outside the Wilkie D Ferguson Jr court in downtown Miami, after the former president called on supporters to gather.

By Tuesday morning, crowds had begun to form, but the scene remained peaceful, with journalists outnumbering Trump supporters.

Miami police were directing traffic away from the court entrance, but no fences or barriers were being used to hold demonstrators back.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Artem1