FL - FSU Law Professor Dan Markel Murdered by Hitmen *3 guilty* #14

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
So - any jurors picked? How many were held? I do not believe @katiecoolady mentioned that in her clip...
I'm not sure where they are in the process. The judge said there would first be individual voir dire, led by the judge asking questions that he discussed at the pre-trial hearing. When 50 or so have been qualified from the individual voir dire, there is then group voir dire. I don't know if they've made it through the individual voir dire phase yet. My understanding is that jurors will only be selected after the group voir dire takes place.

I'm not sure where they are in the process. The judge said there would first be individual voir dire, led by the judge asking questions that he discussed at the pre-trial hearing. When 50 or so have been qualified from the individual voir dire, there is then group voir dire. I don't know if they've made it through the individual voir dire phase yet. My understanding is that jurors will only be selected after the group voir dire takes place.

Thanks! There was an article that said 41 jurors from 10/23 will be back today, 10/24 - and I am assuming 50 more potentials for the first time.

Hi from the courtroom. Today is my first day using my laptop and the wifi in here. It's working great.

I'll be making a report on video during lunch today and posting it on my channel.

They are moving quickly through potential jurors today. Some are being asked to return at 1:30 for the group voir dire I believe.

<modsnip - not an approved source>

Last edited by a moderator:

I'm also not sure on how things are specifically evolving. I believe there is a group voir dire happening at 1:30 and I'll be here for it--or whatever happens at 1:30.

I know that the TV repairman didn't testify at the previous trials but was he ever on the witness lists for either trial? Anybody remember?

from @Seattle1 : 'Robert Swartz, the Geek Squad worker who went to Wendi Adelson's house to fix the television her brother had given her as a "divorce present." Wendi Adelson, testifying last year, said she made the appointment.'

( I'd always hoped his testimony might have some nuggets to contradict WA's account)

That one stood out to me too! To testify perhaps about the "joke" she repeated about the hitman being cheaper?

By Tuesday afternoon, attorneys had 55 jurors for the last round of selection and needed at least five more to move on to the final round.

Three people have already been convicted in Markel’s murder, including Adelson’s former girlfriend, Katherine Magbanua, who was sentenced to life in prison for first-degree murder in 2022. The trials’ publicity has prompted the court to pull a larger-than-usual pool of jurors, summoning 900 people.

Everett previously said that jury selection could last until Thursday and that he expects the trial to last approximately three weeks.

10/24/23

Adelson’s attorney, Josh Dubin, argued the case should be moved to South or Central Florida, arguing that jury selection has demonstrated that too many people have knowledge and opinions due to local and national news coverage. Judge Stephen Everett denied the motion.

By Tuesday afternoon, attorneys had 55 jurors for the last round of selection and needed at least five more to move on to the final round.

Not completely sure, but the judge may have ordered that the audio on the live stream be completely shut off until jury selection is complete. This morning they were discussing how a name was broadcast on the live feed yesterday. CA's attorney said he addressed one of the prospective jurors by name yesterday and it was broadcast.

Last edited:
It looks like the state is focused on making sure these jurors understand that Charlie is equally as guilty as the trigger man Sigfredo Garcia. And defense is planting in prospective jurors minds that audio tapes can be easily misunderstood and you don’t get the full picture based on snippets you hear in wiretaps. Both sides are trying to mold jurors minds as well as weed out bad apples.

@katiecoolady made the point in her dispatch video today about how meek Rashbaum seems and that Georgia Cappelman has been consistent and connecting better with jurors. Mentour Lawyer also had similar observations about Georgia Cappelman.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member