FL - FSU Law Professor Dan Markel Murdered by Hitmen *4 Guilty* #21

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
There's only one photo, I believe. And it only came to light years after the murder after they had arrested Sigfredo and Luis and were working backwards to connect them to the Adelsons. Also, the cops already learned from Jeffrey Lacasse that Wendi and Katie knew each other. But Wendi knew a lot of people. So, that in itself wasn't the issue.

My point was that if the cops could prove that Wendi and Katie were conversing around the time of the murder, it would have been easy to follow the trail to Katie's on-again, off-again boyfriend and his Latin King best friend. And it would be pretty definitive evidence that Wendi was aware of the hit.

But yeah, allowing someone to take that photo was an unforced error on Wendi's part.
1704332838548.png

There is one photo. Singular.

If I recall correctly both women have testified that that is one of only two times they met, and the only time they hung out together without Charlie.
Wait, what? This is new to me and is so interesting. I didn’t know that the “beach” (was it a pool) photo was taken without Charlie being there?

there is something deeply pathological about CA's uncontrolled smirking/laughter at the pejorative names his mother used to describe the man he stands accused of murdering. shame he didn't remember this (in his post-conviction calls) when analyzing why the jury did not need more than a lunch break to convict.

When was the phot taken?
Okay, found part of answer. TO ME, This is the only time WA looks really nervous. (I hear a lot of "changes" in the story WA tells.) "We met ......The picture was taken on Father's Day, June 15th, 2014!!!
But I remembered JL saying he was with WA, as he accompanied her for "alternative spring break event/thing) and that is when he met KM with CA and they dined at Yardbird restaurant (outside.). That date was March 2014!!!
So the pic was not on the same day...actually almost 3 months apart. ie 3months later on June. 15th, 2014!
WA also says she made arrangements for TV repair. In other testimony she says her mother did it.
This gets really good at 23:50 of this video.
This info: "The state filed documentation with the court. This included detailed information on Rivera and Garcia's first trip to Tallahassee on June 4–6, 2014, including an exhaustive review of cellular phone and GPS records placing them in the vicinity of Markel on both trips, and an expanded probable cause affidavit which included photographs and maps related to the murder."
So WA is sunbathing with KM 10 days after first failed attempt on June15, 2014. (Shaking my head, wow.) I've listened for hours and LR said SG got $5,000 dollars in expense money for the June trip....Stapled or unstapled?
AS LR so frequently states...KM knows everything! LR may be lacking academically (he used the words illiterate), but when it comes to "street knowledge" he is very saavy. LR even said he brought a "second gun" just in case SG decided to turn on him. Wow..just wow.
***Thank you in advance for not criticizing my punctuation and run on-on-on-on-on-on sentences.

Last edited:
WA stated on the stand that she did not have KM's number as a contact in her phone, yet they had a lunch date on the beach.. seems unlikely they weren't communicating to some degree by phone.

WA stated on the stand that she did not have KM's number as a contact in her phone, yet they had a lunch date on the beach.. seems unlikely they weren't communicating to some degree by phone.
Zedzded, Yeppers!! You nailed it...unless it was another one of those cosmic coincidences that they just ran into each other on Father's Day, June 15th 2014? It has been stated, "This is only one photograph." Is there any reason to disclose more than one photograph to establish the fact they knew each other and had more contact than just one dinner 3 months earlier?
Wild thought...wouldn't it be a hoot if the beach resort area had video footage, too? Probably not since it was so many years ago. But then it begs the question....on who's cell phone was this picture memorialized? And, who took the picture? And why so important to keep it? (A picture is worth a thousand words...or at least 20 questions, huh?)

Last edited:
Zedzded, Yeppers!! You nailed it...unless it was another one of those cosmic coincidences that they just ran into each other on Father's Day, June 15th 2014? It has been stated, "This is only one photograph." Is there any reason to disclose more than one photograph to establish the fact they knew each other and had more contactpic than just one dinner 3 months earlier?
Wild thought...wouldn't it be a hoot if the beach resort area had video footage, too? Probably not since it was so many years ago. But then it begs the question....on who's cell phone was this picture memorialized? And, who took the picture? And why so important to keep it? (A picture is worth a thousand words...or at least 20 questions, huh?)
I think there is the possibility that Charlie arranged the beach day while Wendy was in Miami visiting her parents for fathers day.

I'm a law student in Australia, interesting how different the US legal system is and the different legal terminology that gets used. I'm going to end up losing marks on assignments as I accidentally use US legal jargon, picked up by following this case so intently! I will have to unlearn a lot of it.

Zedzded, Yeppers!! You nailed it...unless it was another one of those cosmic coincidences that they just ran into each other on Father's Day, June 15th 2014? It has been stated, "This is only one photograph." Is there any reason to disclose more than one photograph to establish the fact they knew each other and had more contact than just one dinner 3 months earlier?
This beach date is when I'm thinking that Katie could have discussed with Wendi "Tuto"/the owl/shooter.

Wendi doesn't have to be fluent in Greek for this to work, although she could have studied Greek in college for all we know... All she needs to know is that Katie and the hitmen believe that "Tuto" means owl, and that it's the nickname of the trigger man.
True but Katie in the proffers and Katie & Charlie's conversation on the Dulce recording suggests that in 2014 Katie had been very careful about using Sig's name and both hitmens' nicknames in order to protect the father of her kids.
( I linked the Dulce and gave a timestamp a while back.
The three proffer videos are on DeepDiveTrueCrime but I can't link that channel on WS)

Katie does not seem like someone Wendi would choose to hang out with unless Charlie was also there.

Wendi and Charlie seem alike in that they both seem very social and like to date a lot of different people. Charlie went for young ones of a particular ethnicity while Wendi Wendy went for educated and/or wealthy. I’m thinking Wendi was similar to Charlie and probably was not the marrying type. This is my opinion because Wendi appeared to date a lot which is difficult when you are single with 2 toddlers. Basing this on testimonies, etc.

oh yeah…and both siblings lie, use other people, etc.
Do we know who took the photo? And whose phone it was?

Wait, what? This is new to me and is so interesting. I didn’t know that the “beach” (was it a pool) photo was taken without Charlie being there?
Your memories are accurate. Charlie was there.

Even Yindra, Katie's BFF at the time was also there and testified to it ( She's often cropped out of the photo. )

Last edited:
Your memories are accurate. Charlie was there.

Even Yindra, Katie's BFF at the time was also there and testified to it ( She's often cropped out of the photo. )
Thank you cottonweaver… whew! Trying really hard to get all the little tiny details of this case and I thought I’d really missed something important. I think if CA hadn’t been there, well that would be a game changer. Yes wonder whose phone, and surprised that it wasn’t deleted. I’ll bet WA wishes now that pic was never taken! “Dang!” Moo

Thank you cottonweaver… whew! Trying really hard to get all the little tiny details of this case and I thought I’d really missed something important. I think if CA hadn’t been there, well that would be a game changer. Yes wonder whose phone, and surprised that it wasn’t deleted. I’ll bet WA wishes now that pic was never taken! “Dang!” Moo
It's such a complicated case, three trials, impossible for anybody to remember it all. Got no choice but to collaborate together to try and keep ourselves going off the rails on the details

BTW I don't ever recall hearing who took the photo/ put it on SM, but somebody here might know.

Looking ahead to Donna's trial, I'd also love to know if any WS-er knows more about Katie being a patient of Harvey's but I don't want to start rewatching all KM's evidence X 3 again to see if Georgia ever asked her or the dental staff

Charlie makes a list of Miami's 12 worst people of 2023.

---

Charlie Adelson​

A TV set would have been sufficient for his sister's divorce present. Instead, Fort Lauderdale periodontist Charlie Adelson hired two hit men to kill his sister's estranged husband, Florida State University law professor Dan Markel, in Markel's Tallahassee driveway in 2014. After years on the police radar, Adelson was arrested in April 2022. During his trial this past fall, co-conspirator and Adelson's ex-girlfriend Katherine Magbanua told a Leon County jury how Adelson approached her about finding a hit man on Halloween and how she linked him up with Sigfredo Garcia and Luis Rivera. Taking the stand in his defense, the dentist maintained that Garcia and Rivera took it upon themselves to murder Markel and then tried to extort him out of money. Adelson insisted he was joking when he spoke of hiring a hit man as a divorce present for his sister. Declining to buy what Charlie was selling, the jury convicted the 47-year-old of first-degree murder, solicitation, and conspiracy to commit murder. Adelson's mother, Donna, is a candidate for next year's Dirty Dozen: A week after her son's conviction, she was arrested while attempting to board a flight out of Miami International Airport to Vietnam — a non-extradition country. Coincidence? Tell it to the jury.

It is my understanding that before Donna and Harvey moved to the Icon, Charlie had a weekend place in the same neighborhood, in a building called Continuum. This was around the time of the murder. I believe Donna and Harvey would spend weekends there sometimes. (At trial, they showed a text from before the murder where Donna asks if Charlie wants to use the apartment that weekend.)

I distinctly recall hearing Katie say on the stand that the beach photo with Wendi was taken at the Continuum. This makes sense to me, because the Icon is not directly on the beach, but the Continuum is.

The reason I think this is important is because when Corbett is testifying about the text Wendi sent to Dan asking if he would be home the week of the murder, Corbett says the cell phone records are consistent with this call being made from where the Icon is located. This may be technically correct, because it’s a very small neighborhood, and both condos might ping off the same cell tower. But I believe the Adelsons did not live at the Icon at that time.

Again, it’s a small thing, but the state should make sure its witnesses are testifying to the correct facts. It should not be difficult to ascertain exactly when the Adelsons moved to the Icon, and when Charlie was renting the Continuum place. If they weren’t even living at the Icon, but Corbett says it appears a text was sent from there, well, that could be a problem.

Last edited:

Ufferman has yet to file Adelson’s initial appellate brief, which would detail any alleged errors by the judge and recommend remedies that could include a new trial.

It's such a complicated case, three trials, impossible for anybody to remember it all. Got no choice but to collaborate together to try and keep ourselves going off the rails on the details

BTW I don't ever recall hearing who took the photo/ put it on SM, but somebody here might know.

Looking ahead to Donna's trial, I'd also love to know if any WS-er knows more about Katie being a patient of Harvey's but I don't want to start rewatching all KM's evidence X 3 again to see if Georgia ever asked her or the dental staff
There is a commercial for The Adelson Institute (that name always cracked me up. So pretentious for their dental practice to have such a name when, as far as I know where there was a dentist, a hygienist (maybe two?), 2 or 3 admin staff (incl Donna) and of course the traveling periodontist. Small family practice = an institute? Lol ok.). Anyway there’s a commercial for their practice on the internet that is apparently hard to find. I saw it on one of Roberta Glass’ episodes (sorry I don’t remember which one. She showed it sort of spontaneously, not planned…she had to look for it for a few min, and I forget what the episode was called). Anyway, again, in the commercial it shows someone in the chair getting her teeth cleaned, or a set up procedure (by Charlie). That girl was apparently KM. There was a brief close up shot of her open mouth. Oh my what a good sport.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
FastRayne