FL FL - Iyana Sawyer, 16, pregnant, Jacksonville, 19 Dec 2018 *uncle GUILTY*

Welcome to Websleuths!
Click to learn how to make a missing person's thread

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
YES FINALLY!!!!
I was dang worried that nothing was to come of this until they found her and more evidence. So happy that justice can be served here... what a predator, preying on his young family members and resorting to murder to cover it up... so glad he will not be allowed to continue! Can’t imagine what that family is going through right now.

MISSING PREGNANT JACKSONVILLE TEEN CASE: New documents released on Johnathan Quiles, suspect in teen's disappearance

The State Attorney's Office has charged Johnathan Quiles with two counts of first-degree murder and one count of sexual battery.

Quiles is in jail on an unrelated sexual battery charge: a new report reveals disturbing details about a female accusing Quiles of sexual battery.

The report says she told police when the sexual relationship began, Quiles told her she could “not tell anyone that he was kissing her, or he would get in trouble.”

It’s not clear how old the victim is, since that information is redacted.

The report also says when the victim found out she was pregnant and told Quiles, he “punched her hard in the face. The victim stated the suspect gave her 10 brownish /green pills and told her to take them” because the pills would “cause her to have an abortion.

First Coast Crime Stoppers says four tips have been called in for her case.

.....Just FOUR????????

Uncle charged with murder of missing pregnant Terry Parker High School teen, her unborn child: family attorney

A Jacksonville man suspected of impregnating his teenage niece who disappeared in December has been indicted on first-degree murder charges in the death of the girl and her unborn baby.

Johnathan Quiles has been in jail since January on a felony sexual battery charge related to a different victim, who is also a relative. According to the State Attorney's Office, Quiles is charged with sexual battery in a familial or custodial sex act.

According to Florida law, because Sawyer was pregnant, Quiles is also charged with the death of her child.

He denied having sex with Sawyer, saying, "I have nothing to hide."

But detectives said they found a love note on Sawyer's computer they believe is about Quiles.

"(Police) were looking on her computer and said they were finding stuff on the computer that she is authoring that's implying a sexual relationship with you," the investigator told Quiles. "It's almost like a love affair."

Documents in the case show investigators also found a love letter, writing, "She's speaking from the dead. Four pages at different times ... professing her love and how she wants to run away and y'all are just going to be that little family."

...much more and video at link.

MISSING PREGNANT JACKSONVILLE TEEN CASE: New documents released on Johnathan Quiles, suspect in teen's disappearance

The State Attorney's Office has charged Johnathan Quiles with two counts of first-degree murder and one count of sexual battery.

Quiles is in jail on an unrelated sexual battery charge: a new report reveals disturbing details about a female accusing Quiles of sexual battery.

The report says she told police when the sexual relationship began, Quiles told her she could “not tell anyone that he was kissing her, or he would get in trouble.”

It’s not clear how old the victim is, since that information is redacted.

The report also says when the victim found out she was pregnant and told Quiles, he “punched her hard in the face. The victim stated the suspect gave her 10 brownish /green pills and told her to take them” because the pills would “cause her to have an abortion.

First Coast Crime Stoppers says four tips have been called in for her case.

.....Just FOUR????????

This seems like this is a case where other's can't offer much information or help. The uncle kept everything secretive, as sadly did Iyana. That would account for the low amount of tips. The police would be in face to face contact with all the closest players they wouldn't need the tip line to talk to.

I'm very glad the police worked very hard and stayed on this case.
For the poster previously insinuating that the media didn't care because she's black - in closed cases like this, it's got nothing to do with color and all to do with limited info or need to report, as mentioned above, all players are in close contact with police. There's no need to appeal to the public.

Indictment suggests Quiles planned out shooting death of Iyana Sawyer, unborn child

The newly released paperwork suggests that Quiles planned out the death of Iyana Sawyer, later reportedly shooting and killing both mother and child.

The newly released paperwork suggests that Quiles planned out the death of a person and their unborn child on or between December 19 and 20th of 2018. The paperwork said a handgun was used to commit the crime.

"We understand the media has questions about the Indictment, including it mentioning a firearm. However, we do not have further comment at this time."

Crime Analyst Mark Baughman believes the handgun is connected to Iyana Sawyer’s disappearance.

“It could’ve been somebody who saw him in possession of a firearm or could’ve been an admission he made to somebody that eventually got to law enforcement, so they were able to charge him with that firearm charge,” Baughman said.

Indictment: Missing pregnant teen shot to death by uncle

Interrogation video released in April shows a Jacksonville Sheriff's Office detective telling Quiles that his brother told them Quiles admitted to choking Sawyer. The detective said Quiles' brother told them, "She wasn't dying right and it was making Quiles sick looking at her."

Death penalty sought for man charged with killing pregnant niece

At Thursday’s arraignment, Johnathan Quiles pleaded not guilty to two counts of first-degree murder in the deaths of Iyana Sawyer and her unborn child. He also pleaded not guilty to sexual battery.

Quiles, 34, is being held without bond at the Duval County jail. He will be represented by attorney Robert Davis, who took over after the Public Defender’s Office withdrew from the case.

IYANA SAWYER JACKSONVILLE: state calls for the death penalty for Jonathan Quiles who's accused of killing pregnant niece

As soon as Quiles left the courtroom, Iyana Sawyer’s family stood up, all of them wearing T-shirts with the teen’s face, some with the words “We love and miss you Princess Ya-Ya."

We also asked Sawyer’s family if they had anything to say after the arraignment but they told us “no comment.

State seeks death penalty for man accused of killing of 16-year-old Iyana Sawyer, unborn child

The State says that this case fits the standards of a death penalty case due to aggregating factors such as the level of offense, the cold and calculated execution and the fact that both victims were under the age of 20.

Quiles is also facing another felony sexual battery charge which will be combined with these charges. He had pled not guilty to all charges.

His next date in court with be September 17.

Last edited:
Body cam: Uncle charged in pregnant teen's death questioned by police

view

August 16, 2019

[...]

The videos were dated Dec. 27, which was about a week after Sawyer was last seen. According to an indictment, she was killed either Dec. 19 or Dec. 20.

In a video, deputies show up at Quiles' house, saying they needed to search the home for Sawyer. Quiles expresses shock.

"My work just dropped a whole bunch of s*** on me right now," Quiles says.

His wife is heard in the same video, supporting her husband's innocence.

"In regards to this here, do I think my husband is capable of any of this? No. I don't. But we have a missing piece to the puzzle," she says.

Officers go room by room, checking the garage and the back yard but find no sign of Sawyer. Quiles waits outside and tells police officers that Sawyer was having a relationship with his neighbor.

[...]

Court records show the state plans to seek the death penalty. Quiles' next pretrial hearing is Sep. 17.

Read more: Body cam: Uncle charged in pregnant teen's death questioned by police

Body cam footage shows uncle of missing pregnant Terry Parker teen questioned about niece's disappearance, arrested

August 16, 2019

[...]

"If we knew where she was at, we would have been the first ones to grab her *advertiser censored** and bring her over, " Quiles said to the officer.

His wife also responded that the last time she saw Swayer was the last week of November.

When asked if she has ever tried running away before, Quiles tells the officer about the advice he gave her when she reportedly wanted to leave home.

"Has she ever done this before?" the officer asks. "Ever gone missing before."

"No, like I told the other officer over there, she complained, you know, always, both of them, always complained [redacted]," Quiles said. "... I was like, 'look, first of all, your mom is your mom. You know what I'm saying? Your mom loves the hell out of you no matter what. Is she the best mom? Not at all ... We only get one ... Your situation is *advertiser censored*cking awesome compared to my situation growing up, you know what I mean. I had a real rough one growing up. Just, you know, stay focused in school.'"

WATCH THE BODY CAM VIDEO BELOW (**WARNING: Some may find the language in the video offensive.***)

Body cam footage shows uncle of missing pregnant Terry Parker teen questioned about niece's disappearance, arrested

YES FINALLY!!!!
I was dang worried that nothing was to come of this until they found her and more evidence. So happy that justice can be served here... what a predator, preying on his young family members and resorting to murder to cover it up... so glad he will not be allowed to continue! Can’t imagine what that family is going through right now.
Don't say "justice can be served"
We don't know what's gonna happen...this stinker could be acquitted.
Jurors know how to be brainless (and also some judges...)

I have my handy dandy calendar that says something is about to happen today with this case, but I have no idea what it is :D

ETA scrolling up I found

"Court records show the state plans to seek the death penalty. Quiles' next pretrial hearing is Sep. 17."

Last edited:
New evidence provided to lawyers for uncle charged in pregnant teen's death

Info from witness wearing a wire among evidence in case against Johnathan Quiles

The six-page summary provided by the State Attorney's Office includes two discs of information that came from a witness who was wearing a wire, indicating that the Jacksonville Sheriff's Office got a warrant to record a conversation with Quiles. It’s unknown who wore the wire and when, but JSO has used jail informants in several high-profile murder investigations, including the Michael Haim case.

Other items shared with the defense included a photo of Quiles with a gun, Florida Department of Law Enforcement analysis of the evidence, the journals that Sawyer kept and the search warrant for the Otis Road landfill.

Thanks for all the updates folks. This case really bothers me. Its going to be a tough one to prosecute, but it sounds like LE and the DA are doing everything they can for justice for Iyana.

Man waives right to speedy trial in murder case of his pregnant niece

"12:54 PM EDT October 29, 2019

The man indicted for the murder of his pregnant niece was in court on Tuesday and waived his right to a speedy trial. In court on Tuesday, the prosecution discussed new discovery they’ll be getting to the defense in preparation for the deposition, which is scheduled for Nov. 6.

The next pretrial hearing after the deposition was set for Nov. 20 at 9 a.m."

NEW discovery, how could it get worse?

Last edited:
If he was smart he would plead guilty and throw himself on the mercy of the court. But then again if he was smart he wouldn't be in this mess and this child would still be alive.

Man charged in death of pregnant teenage niece fighting death penalty
Updated: February 26, 2021 - 6:18 PM

This week, court records show Quiles filed four motions fighting Florida’s death penalty. Those include motions to declare Florida’s death penalty unconstitutional, another that requests no execution by lethal injection, and another that asks the judge to clear him of the crime.

According to documents, people close to Quiles and Sawyer suspected they were involved in an inappropriate relationship. Investigators believe Quiles killed his niece at his place of work -- Ace Pick A Part on Main Street -- then disposed of her body in a dumpster. Despite searching a landfill, her body has never been recovered. The state is seeking the death penalty, and Quiles has pleaded not guilty.

Action News Jax has requested the four documents filed by Quiles.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
leahruss
Back